AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   Looking for some advice re storage space (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/looking-some-advice-re-storage-space-977185/)

AliShibaz 02-14-2019 04:44 PM

Looking for some advice re storage space

I bought a 2008 MDX and despite a few minor problems, I love this car. But there is one thing I never considered when I bought it and that is storage space.

I don't like to store anything in the back when it is visible. In the past, I've experienced break-ins when I stored an empty box in the rear of my Mazda RX-7 and I don't want to go through that again. My problem is that if I want to buy some groceries or want to keep a tool set in the trunk, there is no trunk.
The only storage space is an extremely tiny space where the previous owner was kind enough to leave me two wireless headphones. But that space is so small I can barely store a sneeze there. Can anyone tell me what they do to be able to store some items in the car so that they are not visible?
So far, my best solution is to store stuff on the floor of the second row seats and fold down all the seats so that it cannot be seen.

Does anyone here have any alternatives for me? Thank you.

AlanW 02-15-2019 02:40 PM

There is an optional accessory of a roll-up window shade type cargo cover for the rear area. It's a little over $100 I think.

AliShibaz 02-15-2019 04:55 PM

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

mrgold35 02-17-2019 07:52 AM

I like the following in my MDX:
- OEM cargo cover, plug-n-play, 1 min to install the first time
- OEM or aftermarket tri fold cargo mat. I have the 3D MAXpider, Amazon, $110:
- Amazon universal fit flat cargo net, $10:
- Carabiners, $24, Amazon:

I use the carabiners as a quick release for the cargo net. The plastic hooks on the cargo net is very hard to clip/unclip in a hurry if you need the 3rd row or access the underfloor storage in rear hatch. I don't like to travel without the cargo cover (out of sight, out of mind thinking). Only bad thing about the cargo cover is it is too long to store in the rear if you need the 3rd row. Need to leave the cargo cover at home if you need all 3 rows.

Bonus: I also have the OEM upright cargo net and use carabiners to clip in place for super fast usage. I like the upright net for any items that might roll around in the rear (like honey dew) or might get crushed by other items (eggs/bread).

AliShibaz 02-17-2019 08:17 AM

Mrgold,

Thank you ever so much. I am defiinitely going to buy some covers so that I can prevent "unwelcome eyes" from seeing anything I happen to store in my storage compartment. I very much appreciate the advice that both you and AlanW have given me in this thread.
I also found a few items from Googling "Acura 2008 MDX storage space covers". Some very nice Youtube videos on this subject.