Leather worn on drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Leather worn on drivers seat

First off, great to see we finally have an MDX forum on Acurazine. I'm excited

Just wanted to post a comment about my leather. I've not been too happy with it. After 7 months and about 7k miles, the top seam facing the drivers door had serious wear bringing it right down to the raw leather. Nothing unusual about how my wife or I get in the car or the pants we wear.

Fortunately, Acura agreed it was not acceptable and replaced the leather on the drivers seat. All looks good now, but wanted to mention it in case if was happening to others. Bring it in and argue for a replacement.

FYI: It's been about a month and the leather looks fine so far. Maybe I just had a bad cow.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Hopefully it was just a bad cow. The leather in my 04 still looks great. Maybe this is just an issue with 07s and 08s? Has anyone else had this issue?

Did you use any leather care products on it?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
I've been unimpressed with our 2006 leather. I condition it regularly and always keep the interior spotless, but the numerous creases in the drivers seat are unusually premature. My 2003 TL Type-S leather had little or no creases and it seems our 2008 TSX leather is holding up well, but the MDX leather leaves something to be desired.

I understand the ingress angle is different in an SUV, but it still should not crease as bad as it is...

Our MDX is due for brakes and an alignment, so I'm going to mention the leather condition to the service advisor and see what he can do...granted it's an '06, but you never know...(and it's still under warranty)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
I've been unimpressed with our 2006 leather. I condition it regularly and always keep the interior spotless, but the numerous creases in the drivers seat are unusually premature. My 2003 TL Type-S leather had little or no creases and it seems our 2008 TSX leather is holding up well, but the MDX leather leaves something to be desired.

I understand the ingress angle is different in an SUV, but it still should not crease as bad as it is...

Our MDX is due for brakes and an alignment, so I'm going to mention the leather condition to the service advisor and see what he can do...granted it's an '06, but you never know...(and it's still under warranty)
I wish the best of luck to you. Hopefully they can help you out. The leather in my 04 seems to be holding up pretty well. Even with 53k miles on it.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Some of the early model 07 MDX "parchment" had some issues esp. with blue jeans leaving blue stains on the leather area you mentioned. Another reason I always get EBONY interior.....
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I have the parchment. That leading edge definitely gets dirty because of the angle that you enter and exit. I suppose that's to be expected. I try not to "over clean" that edge and put undue wear on the leather. I use a leather cleaner and conditioner when i do clean it (about once every couple weeks) and it seems to cleanup well. The problem I had was with the actual color wearing off. The tanning process on this leather was not performed well and it was not stable enough for the type of wear it was getting. Hopefully it was just an exception.

TYPE34: I haven't noticed any unusual creasing. It obviusly isn't as smooth and perfect fitting as pleather, but I have no problem with that.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
My driver seat has some wear on it at 17K, but my passenger seat is horrible looking. I plop myself down into the seat and don't slide, maybe that's why. The leather on the 2007+ acura MDX, and TL was changed to be softer and more supple, the trade off for it is more wear. All I can say is condition the seats with a good product like zaino Z10 or leatherique and you will be fine.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Ok I realize this is the MDX forum but I am pretty sure we have the same kind of seats (I have a TL) and mine look terrible. The perforated center of my drivers side wore almost all the way through and they replaced the seat bottom around 25K. After that i put my wallet and phone in my front pockets and am religious about keeping the seats clean and conditioned but the drivers side is starting to wear through again. It looks absolutely terrible and I dont know what to do. It is almost like the holes in the seat are becoming one :-/
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here, after picking up my wife's new 08 mdx, i tho the leather felt cheaper then the one in my bmw ... after i attach our son's britax baby seat in the back for no more then a day, it left two fairly large bubbles which has slowly faded away (but still evident) after i removed the car seat (no bubbles of any kind with the same car seat in the bmw for weeks) ... i went out and purchase a seat protector but i didnt have to do this for the nissan murano i just replaced with the mdx ...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
Just a follow-up to my previous post, I took our 2006 MDX in this morning and the dealer is going to replace the lower portion of the driver's seat (under warranty) ... my service advisor mentioned that the dye lot will be different (there may be a slight variation in the saddle leather color), but otherwise I couldn't be happier ...

I should get it back tomorrow evening or Thursday morning (of course they gave me a loaner, even though I didn't buy my car at this dealer - although I do get all major service done at this same dealer). That's why we buy Acura...I'll post a pic once it gets done...
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks fantastic news ... i have since removed the head rest from the right passenger seat in the rear and now can position the car seat correctly without pinching the leather as it did before ... its still not great but im a much happier camper (dont like the fact that the head rest only had two notches instead of the usual three but i guess its better then nothing) ...

i do see alot of creases in my front driver seat and its only a few months old (it looks just like the leather that was in my old murano but that took a 3 year beating) ...