Instrument Cluster Lighting Not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Cluster Lighting Not working

I have a 2001 MDX and the backlighting on the instrument cluster is not working with consistency. Basically the symptoms are this:
1. Most of the cluster is dark and has no light at all.
2. When I turn on the lights and turn on ignition, all the check engine lights work properly. I assume this eliminates any fuse related issues issues. More on that below.
3. There's a red colored square that illuminates around the the gear selection when the ignition is powered on. In this case I was in park and there's a red outline around P.
4. Also backlit is the odometer display. It is brightly lit on one side, darkened on the other half.

That's how things look on the cluster when I turn on the ignition. But things get interesting when i turn on the lights.
When i turn on the lights the back lights to the odomenter dim greatly (>50%) and the red colored outline around the gear display goes off completely.

So here's what I have done so far:

I removed the cluster and found 7 primary backlights for the Tack, speedometer and fuel etc. and most appear to be burned out.

From what i have learned, the replacement bulbs are #74's. However I noticed on the original bulbs the text on the light reads TA 14V 3W lights. However, the #74s are 14V 1.4W. I wasn't sure if that's a substantive difference, so I bought 8 new 74 lights. I started by replacing just 2 of the lights and reconnected the instrument panel to test that section of the panel behind the Tack. I did not have any other old lights still in their sockets. They are open and empty of their caps as well. No go. Still dark.

It occurred to me if these lights are connected like Christmas lights. Do they work that way? Must I have a bulb in ever socket and a cap in every socket for them to work? Seems like they're pretty independent. Plus I notice there is already some sockets for other parts of the cluster that are empty and that didn't stop the cluster from working before now.

I read sometimes with panel issues like this it can be related to a fuse. I removed and checked the small lights fuse from the box and it appeared fine. Just to be sure, I swapped it out with another 15A fuse. Same result. Still no lights. I also read there's a small circuit board that can sometimes affect the cluster lights and display that can go out. I understand that for about $35 this can easily be replaced inside the plastic back cover to the cluster.

So in summary, I believe this is not a fuse issue and wondering if you agree.
I need confirmation if the lights and caps need to all be in place for any of the lights in the cluster to work properly. It seems to me as I have now, 2 new lights installed to test would work. Yes/no?
I need to know if #74 lights bulbs and their slightly different voltage will work compared to the OEM's lights?
Assuming the lights are independent, would the circuit board I mentioned be the culprit to these weird (goes on/off, some lit/some not inconsistencies).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Mark
Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi, did you find a solution. I have similar issue and any help would be appreciated.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p.../#post16229364
Old 05-04-2018, 11:23 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div style="text-align:left;"></div>