need help fix 2010 acura mdx coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:34 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need help fix 2010 acura mdx coolant leak

Coolant leak confirmed using a pressure test kit. this is a 2010 acura mdx model, the leak is not coming from the radiator hose, no puncture, tear or clamp issue visibly noted. Please note no drip or leak when driving, and little or slow drip through plastic holes on the front bumper after driving few times, but moderate leak when using pressure test kit.
Isolated the leak to from 3 locations as far as i can visibly tell without removing the bumper.
1st location leak noted is from a clamp in between the radiator fans, see 1st and 2nd pictures.
2nd & 3rd leaks are from hoses labeled in the 3rd picture, then leaked through hole on a plastic cover attached to the front bumper in the 4th and 5th picture.
Appreciate any diagnosis what could be causing the leak, how to fix, and if it's easy to fix without removing the front bumper and jacking up the suv. Or if having a professional fix it, how much would it cost and what to have them check and fix.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
You probably need a new radiator. Buy a Denso replacement and swap it out yourself
Old 03-15-2024, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by peterc325
Isolated the leak to from 3 locations as far as i can visibly tell without removing the bumper.
^^
Nice pictures and diagnostic effort.
It's very possible a new radiator is due as thoiboi mentioned?
In addition, I would recommend, if you have not already performed it, taking your thorough spatial awareness / familiarity of the possible leak locations and compare it to the graphic below to try & determine the parts involved close to the areas in question.
I used the 2010 5 Door TECH; KA 6AT as a reference since you just give the year and model of the vehicle, though, there should not be much difference.

Radiator Hose - Reserve Tank - 2010 Acura MDX 5 Door TECH KA 6AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)

Here is also a graphic of the front bumper, if you decide to DIY it could aid in finding the fastener locations for an easy removal.
Though I have never removed an MDX bumper, they (bumpers) are not that complex (once one understands what's going on) just intimidating, IMHO.

Bumpers - 2010 Acura MDX 5 Door TECH KA 6AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)
Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2024, 11:25 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
You probably need a new radiator. Buy a Denso replacement and swap it out yourself
appreciate your response. i didn't see any coolant leaks or damages to the radiator fins, only the wet spot from those 3 locations. how can i know for sure it's in need of a new radiator replacement? just got this car, don't know much about the history of this car except it's only driven 103k miles.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:44 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by zeta
^^
Nice pictures and diagnostic effort.
It's very possible a new radiator is due as thoiboi mentioned?
In addition, I would recommend, if you have not already performed it, taking your thorough spatial awareness / familiarity of the possible leak locations and compare it to the graphic below to try & determine the parts involved close to the areas in question.
I used the 2010 5 Door TECH; KA 6AT as a reference since you just give the year and model of the vehicle, though, there should not be much difference.

Radiator Hose - Reserve Tank - 2010 Acura MDX 5 Door TECH KA 6AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)

Here is also a graphic of the front bumper, if you decide to DIY it could aid in finding the fastener locations for an easy removal.
Though I have never removed an MDX bumper, they (bumpers) are not that complex (once one understands what's going on) just intimidating, IMHO.

Bumpers - 2010 Acura MDX 5 Door TECH KA 6AT (acurapartswarehouse.com)
Good Luck!
thank you, and thank you for the graphics. new with the car, hoping it's as simple as clamp replacement that i can easily replace.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 414 Posts
For reference below are pics of a 2g mdx radiator removed. There are only 3 coolant hoses that connect to the radiator. The other fittings are for the trans.

Having personally removed and replaced a 2g mdx radiator twice, I can say it's not a fun or easy task. Suggest performing process of elimination by inspecting the 3 red areas first.

No need to remove the bumper. There are covers on the top and bottom that can be removed... GL

Last edited by 619rcr; 03-15-2024 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:04 PM
9th Gear

thanks for that, i did not see leaks from those 3 area. just the area in the 1st picture.

how long was the replacement process from start to finish? did you have to remove top and bottom covers, and the bumper to swap it? repair shop charging me $800 plus tax to swap it out using aftermarket brand, so i am thinking of doing it myself.

which radiator did you use for both of replacement?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

repair shop charging me $800 plus tax to swap it out using aftermarket brand, so i am thinking of doing it myself.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
More Information for DENSO 2213237 (rockauto.com)

at that $800 shop charge!
Buy the radiator above from rockauto if needed (search the web for a 5% off coupon), keep it in the box, purchase the Acura / Honda coolant and bring both to the shop and see if they come down on that absurd price above?
Old 03-15-2024, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks for that, i did not see leaks from those 3 area. just the area in the 1st picture.

how long was the replacement process from start to finish? did you have to remove top and bottom covers, and the bumper to swap it? repair shop charging me $800 plus tax to swap it out using aftermarket brand, so i am thinking of doing it myself.

Denso radiator as suggested above. I would estimate around 3hrs. I also replaced the upper and lower hoses, clamps, radiator cap and thermostat. No need to remove the bumper. Just the lower, upper covers and the front grille.

You will need around 2.5 - 3 qts of atf if I recall correctly in addition to coolant. At least a gallon. I buy the walmart generic honda/acura equivalent blue coolant.

Be aware the job is messy, being that in addition to coolant, you will drain the front mounted atf cooler and disconnect the atf cooler lines from the under side of the radiator.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:26 PM
9th Gear

More Information for DENSO 2213237 (rockauto.com)

at that $800 shop charge!
Buy the radiator above from rockauto if needed (search the web for a 5% off coupon), keep it in the box, purchase the Acura / Honda coolant and bring both to the shop and see if they come down on that absurd price above?
Thanks. yea ordered the radiator on homedepot and and hopefully can find a shop that will allow that..
Old 03-17-2024, 01:29 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 619rcr
Denso radiator as suggested above. I would estimate around 3hrs. I also replaced the upper and lower hoses, clamps, radiator cap and thermostat. No need to remove the bumper. Just the lower, upper covers and the front grille.

You will need around 2.5 - 3 qts of atf if I recall correctly in addition to coolant. At least a gallon. I buy the walmart generic honda/acura equivalent blue coolant.

Be aware the job is messy, being that in addition to coolant, you will drain the front mounted atf cooler and disconnect the atf cooler lines from the under side of the radiator.
thanks, that's helpful. Didn't think such an arduous and timing consuming task. have been watching youtube videos, but hoping to find a shop that will just charge me labor and let me bring own parts.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks. yea ordered the radiator on homedepot and and hopefully can find a shop that will allow that..
Not sure if you are rural or urban, though, if you google your local area for Acura / Honda specialty shops you may get lucky?
Old 03-18-2024, 01:45 PM
9th Gear

Not sure if you are rural or urban, though, if you google your local area for Acura / Honda specialty shops you may get lucky?
urban, have always got the maintenance and repair from acura dealership which are almost always more expensive than stand-alone repair shop. will get denso for replacement as suggested above, but will continue to use acura coolant. doesn't seem like a complicated replacement process for those that have the right tools but just surprised at the cost of replacement.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

urban, have always got the maintenance and repair from acura dealership which are almost always more expensive than stand-alone repair shop. will get denso for replacement as suggested above, but will continue to use acura coolant. doesn't seem like a complicated replacement process for those that have the right tools but just surprised at the cost of replacement.
Said another way, Acura / Honda specialty shops are usually those independent locations other than the actual dealerships.
They can be owned by former acura / honda master techs that have branched off to make their own repair shop businesses and are usually cheaper & flexible with customer supplied parts.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:12 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

Said another way, Acura / Honda specialty shops are usually those independent locations other than the actual dealerships.
They can be owned by former acura / honda master techs that have branched off to make their own repair shop businesses and are usually cheaper & flexible with customer supplied parts.
Thanks for the great suggestion, will google for independent acura repair shops near me. what to look for and check they are acura / honda master techs besides the authentic google/yelp reviews Smile. got a google hit of an "Accua Auto Service" near me lol
The following users liked this post:
zeta (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Doesn't take a master tech to change a radiator. That's a C tech job.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:37 PM
9th Gear

thanks again all for the suggestions and the parts to buy, bought to a repair shop and got the radiator replaced, so far looking good.