Help with some issues

Old 02-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Help with some issues

Hey all. I have had my MDX for about a month now. I don't drive it that often but the more I do, the more issues I am noticing. It's a 2010 Advance/Ent, 107k miles. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

First: The Bluetooth streaming music does not work. The Bluetooth phone works and when I open a music app, it will say that is playing on through the HandsFree, but it's not. When I hit the usb/aux button that is supposed to bring up the Bluetooth option, it never comes up. I know this is minor, but its just a feature that I like using.

Second: I purchased the vehicle in a different state. Almost every time I start the vehicle, the navigation will show that I'm in that state, at the home of the person I bought it from...When really I'm two states away at my house. It takes me driving for a minute or two to correct position on the map. I have updated the home address and all of that. It's pretty annoying.

Third: The steering wheel feels like it has a little bit of slack in it. Like if I'm driving straight down the road I can wiggle the steering wheel and nothing happens, and when you do turn, you can almost feel when the steering engages. It's like if you're turning to the right, you turn the wheel and nothing happens until 1o'clock and you feel when it starts to turn. If that makes any sense... Any ideas on the culprit of this? I haven't checked out any of the suspension but I hoping the problem will be obvious.

Fourth: I was making a left turn at pretty low speed the other day, and when I turned it made a popping sound a few times. Hopefully related the the problem above.

If ya'll can help at all that would be great. I already had the driver's headlight go out and had to pay hundreds of dollars to fix that. This vehicle is immaculate but all of these issues are starting to pile up and make me regret buying it.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
I have an used 11 MDX Adv/Ent with 107K I purchased back in Jan/14 out of state also. I'm due for my major B14 service (timing belt, valve adjustment, water pump, spark plugs, oil change). Do you know if this service was done because it will be around +$1200 at Acura or around 1/2 - 2/3 that price if you purchase the parts yourself and take to a local shop. The first thing I did was delete the previous owners phone, address book, HHD music, and navigation data. I've had issues in the past with old phone Bluetooth pairings sometimes causing newer phones to act up. Problem went away when I decided to go 100% iPhone and deleting old phone pairings.

I think I've always used the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to select Bluetooth streaming. I've even noticed I can't get the rear entertainment system to work properly using the center console buttons unless I select rear Ent using the "mode" button. Can you still up load your address book from your smartphone? I haven't heard of +10 MDX tech/Adv owners having issues with Bluetooth like the 07-09 folks.

Sounds like you might need to take the MDX in for an alignment and suspension double-check. This could determine if you have any problems in that area. It could also be time to change out the power steering fluid. I changed my PS fluid on my TSX and RDX at 100K and the steering felt so much better afterwards. I will do the same very soon on my MDX.

Another issue that might be causing the popping sound is your magnetic ride system (mainly your front struts) might be going out. I had a torn front endlink at 32K and it made a knocking/bumping/popping sound with suspension travel over bumps/dips/turns. A few months later, the exact sound came back under the exact same conditions and Acura determined the front magnetic struts were bad and replaced under the 4/50K warranty. The sound or suspension issues haven't returned since. Acura did offer an extended warranty for the ADS magnetic suspension shocks/struts up to 100K; but, you are 7K over (unless a Dealership would double-check and goodwill or discount the repairs if that is the issue).

Last edited by mrgold35; 02-16-2018 at 08:01 AM.