Hard to read OIL on stick - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Hard to read OIL on stick

Reply

 
 
 
Old 04-15-2018, 01:12 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,913
Thanked 118 Times in 84 Posts
Hard to read OIL on stick

I have a 2011 MDX(my wifes) and the low oil message came on the NAV system. So I went to check the oil. I tried checking it after sitting overnight AND after driving it up and down the block and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
I pull the oil stick out, wipe it off, put it back in. Its not clean at all and hard to get a true reading. See attached pic. I dont want to overfill it with oil by accident. I cant tell if this truck has too much oil or not enough. Any assistance would be appreciated.


Oil all over stick...
SilverJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Pair of TLs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SE WI
Age: 66
Posts: 168
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
I have a 2011 MDX(my wifes) and the low oil message came on the NAV system. So I went to check the oil. I tried checking it after sitting overnight AND after driving it up and down the block and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes.
I pull the oil stick out, wipe it off, put it back in. Its not clean at all and hard to get a true reading. See attached pic. I dont want to overfill it with oil by accident. I cant tell if this truck has too much oil or not enough. Any assistance would be appreciated.


Oil all over stick...
What was the reading when you left it overnight? Does your manual say to warm it up before checking the level? Looks low to me...
Pair of TLs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,913
Thanked 118 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Pair of TLs View Post
What was the reading when you left it overnight? Does your manual say to warm it up before checking the level? Looks low to me...
It was the same reading overnight as it was warmed up. Basically hard to read either way.
SilverJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Pair of TLs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SE WI
Age: 66
Posts: 168
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Jiffy Lube

Originally Posted by SilverJ View Post
It was the same reading overnight as it was warmed up. Basically hard to read either way.
Stop in one and have them show you.
Pair of TLs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 AM
  #5  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 183
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Photo didn't work.
Use a paper towel.
Place the edge (last 2") of the oil stick against the paper towel and let the oil soak in.
Remove the oil stick, to see how long the oil residue mark is.
If no oil residue add 1/2 quart of oil and recheck,
Keep adding 1/2 quart at a time, until the oil residue mark is half way, between the stick's marks (holes).
Carpayment4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:17 AM
  #6  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,323
Thanked 513 Times in 433 Posts
How long since your last oil change? You might have to check every 500-1000 miles to get a feel of how much oil you are burning per change. I'm usually about 1 quart per oil change; but, only top off about 1/2 -2/3 the way through my 7500-8500 interval to keep my needed oil level 1/2 quart at most.

I find my oil level can vary if there is a slight incline, decline, or tilt of my 11 MDX. I can only check in my level garage for the correct level compared to my driveway with a decline and slight tilt.
mrgold35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:26 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,913
Thanked 118 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Pair of TLs View Post
Stop in one and have them show you.
Not sure what your trying to say here. Typo ?
SilverJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM
  #8  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
SilverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,913
Thanked 118 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
How long since your last oil change? You might have to check every 500-1000 miles to get a feel of how much oil you are burning per change. I'm usually about 1 quart per oil change; but, only top off about 1/2 -2/3 the way through my 7500-8500 interval to keep my needed oil level 1/2 quart at most.

I find my oil level can vary if there is a slight incline, decline, or tilt of my 11 MDX. I can only check in my level garage for the correct level compared to my driveway with a decline and slight tilt.
Most definitely needs an oil change. It's at 5%. I have a TL as well and my oil reads normal (in the gridlines) and the oil is not anywhere but the bottom of the stick. The MDX oil is all over the stick, which is what I find confusing.
But no matter, I think I will just add oil to it and then get an oil change.
SilverJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 27
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because the dip stick has a soft material I believe you are seeing oil resedue from the dip stick touching the interior of the tube on the way down in to the engine... the first gen dip stick was rigid and did not do this.
Illustro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 183
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
How long since your last oil change? You might have to check every 500-1000 miles to get a feel of how much oil you are burning per change. I'm usually about 1 quart per oil change; but, only top off about 1/2 -2/3 the way through my 7500-8500 interval to keep my needed oil level 1/2 quart at most.

I find my oil level can vary if there is a slight incline, decline, or tilt of my 11 MDX. I can only check in my level garage for the correct level compared to my driveway with a decline and slight tilt.
mrgold, have you seen any posts, on how to do a "piston soak" to an MDX?

The goal would be to loosen and flush away ant carbon build up, within the center ring's gap.
In turn, that center oil control ring could expand, to form a better contact, against the cylinder wall and reduce oil consumption.
Carpayment4life is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 PM
  #11  
mrgold35
 
mrgold35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 4,323
Thanked 513 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Carpayment4life View Post
mrgold, have you seen any posts, on how to do a "piston soak" to an MDX?

The goal would be to loosen and flush away ant carbon build up, within the center ring's gap.
In turn, that center oil control ring could expand, to form a better contact, against the cylinder wall and reduce oil consumption.
I haven't heard of this fix for the MDX oil consumption issue. My oil usage isn't as bad as other. I can pretty much only have to add 1 quart per 14,000-16,000 miles if I keep the level no lower than 1/2 way on the dipstick level (oil is topped off around 8K at the dealership when I change the oil).
mrgold35 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dtms1
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
1
09-13-2010 10:00 AM
Street Spirit
Cooking & Dining
6
08-17-2007 11:41 AM
handydandy
First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
19
11-06-2006 12:25 AM
torqueaholic
Car Talk
52
01-28-2003 02:23 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: