Finally got myself a 2G MDX!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Then you would've had a harder time parting with it... Oh, a "big" 2007 SUV that's faster than a TL-S, haha.... But still, that's crazy, even for 2017!!!
Believe me, it would have taken MUCH more than that for me to keep it.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Believe me, it would have taken MUCH more than that for me to keep it.

I know... A Porsce Cayenne would smoke it with 340 HP...

The Sorento is still faster anyway... And man, I wish I'd have at least taken the time to look at one to suit and science my curiosity...
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 AM
Suzuka Master

I know... A Porsce Cayenne would smoke it with 340 HP...

The Sorento is still faster anyway... And man, I wish I'd have at least taken the time to look at one to suit and science my curiosity...
Depends on what generation Cayenne you are thinking of. 2011+ EASILY, but the older ones with the 4.5l V8 were slowish for their 340hp. Yup the Sorento will kill the MDX in a race, it has the advantage of torque WAY lower in the rev range (if I am not careful off the line it throws me in my seat literally), 4-500 pounds lighter, and the 6 speed auto. The 2010+ MDX would put up a good fight though and the 2014+ would walk all over me asap.

Go find one on a local car lot and try it man, later on they will be harder to find as they become less common and stuff.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM
Null and proud of it

I'd LOVE to try a Sorento, but I already have the RDX and the Camry, now I'll test drive one for later reference, in a few years when they're under $10K, they're about $16-22K right now...

I remember when they were $36K in 2011-12 new...

But they sound just great!!!

Se y'all in a couple weeks!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I'd LOVE to try a Sorento, but I already have the RDX and the Camry, now I'll test drive one for later reference, in a few years when they're under $10K, they're about $16-22K right now...

I remember when they were $36K in 2011-12 new...

But they sound just great!!!

Se y'all in a couple weeks!!!
Yeah the Sorento (ESPECIALLY in SX trim) hold their value really really well. It's funny, in 2013-2014 the Sorento prices took a dump, but within the last 2 years they have stayed relatively good. Lost about 50% of initial cost in 6-7 years is not too bad.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes, that's why I love Kia's!!!

I know, the Kia forum just feels pedestrian, I might should say, basic...

I probably won't even post on ToyotaNation or Camry forums which are now ghost towns...

The Camry is doing fine... I just got done installing HIDs, which work surprisingly well in halogen projectors....

I'm about to post pics in my thread, hope I get them all in...

I haven't had a chance to wash it yet, so it looks like a dirty farm truck, haha!!!
LOL! The Toyota forums are lame. We sold our 2007 Camry back in November of 2015 to get our RDX. I tried to breath some life into the forums when we first bought the Camry but gave up. There's just not as much enthusiasm amongst Toyota owners as there are Honda/Acura owners. I loved our Camry BTW. Despite the complaints from others calling it a boring car I found it fun to drive.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acuramon
LOL! The Toyota forums are lame. We sold our 2007 Camry back in November of 2015 to get our RDX. I tried to breath some life into the forums when we first bought the Camry but gave up. There's just not as much enthusiasm amongst Toyota owners as there are Honda/Acura owners. I loved our Camry BTW. Despite the complaints from others calling it a boring car I found it fun to drive.
Kia forums is an absolute lost cause, it's not that there is no one on (like everyday a new thread pops up) but nobody responds to anybody, it's so weird. When I first bought my RDX I tried breathing some life into the RDX sub-forum on here and same deal, barely has a pulse (though not NEARLY as bad as the Sorento forum). I owned a VW Touareg before the RDX and that forum is very active, thankfully parts of this forum are very active as well so I get to move around and then I have Skirmich on the 2G MDX side and you guys who keep ot a little alive on this side of the forum. Kinda sucks when the forums are so dry.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Kia forums is an absolute lost cause, it's not that there is no one on (like everyday a new thread pops up) but nobody responds to anybody, it's so weird. When I first bought my RDX I tried breathing some life into the RDX sub-forum on here and same deal, barely has a pulse (though not NEARLY as bad as the Sorento forum). I owned a VW Touareg before the RDX and that forum is very active, thankfully parts of this forum are very active as well so I get to move around and then I have Skirmich on the 2G MDX side and you guys who keep ot a little alive on this side of the forum. Kinda sucks when the forums are so dry.
Lol, agree and I'm guilty. I only post when I'm about to do work on the vehicles otherwise I browse every once in a while.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Racer

Kia forums is an absolute lost cause, it's not that there is no one on (like everyday a new thread pops up) but nobody responds to anybody, it's so weird. When I first bought my RDX I tried breathing some life into the RDX sub-forum on here and same deal, barely has a pulse (though not NEARLY as bad as the Sorento forum). I owned a VW Touareg before the RDX and that forum is very active, thankfully parts of this forum are very active as well so I get to move around and then I have Skirmich on the 2G MDX side and you guys who keep ot a little alive on this side of the forum. Kind of sucks when the forums are so dry.
Yeah, the 1st Gen RDX forum is pretty bad. I used to have a 3rd Gen TL and that area was and still is great. I guess not that many people care about those era RDX's which I don't really understand as they are great little SUV's. I do understand that the styling isn't for everybody. I tried starting a new photo forum and was basically asked why I was even trying. Go figure!

Last edited by Acuramon; 04-02-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, the 1st Gen RDX forum is pretty bad. I used to have a 3rd Gen TL and that area was and still is great. I guess not that many people care about those era RDX's which I don't really understand as they are great little SUV's. I do understand that the styling isn't for everybody. I tried starting a new photo forum and was basically asked why I was even trying. Go figure!
The biggest issue with the 1G RDX is 100% the looks. It is extremely polarizing. The other issue is that it is kind of tight in there (the trunk space is terrible) and the ride (which was great to me and WAY softer than my Sorento) is harsh to some people. But ask it to deliver and it will deliver! I have owned X5's, I owned the MDX, I owned touaregs (a platform mate to the cayenne) and they can't hold a candle to the RDX.

I literally got my rdx to drift with the tail out on dry roads in the past (unintentional by the way, but it happened). For a FWD based crossover to be able to do that with a 4 cylinder engine just speaks volumes to how sport oriented that vehicle is. In the winter, with winter tires, it was the most capable and controlled vehicle I have ever driven and we get some bad winters here. The seats and handling were amazing and the interior quality is also pretty nice as well (not mind blowing, but it's nice in there). One of my favorite interior features is those little storage bins in the front doors with the closing lids. I absolutely love those and they have to be the smartest idea I have ever seen for a storage solution in a vehicle. The ELS stereo in my RDX was WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the crap in my MDX. The ELS in the MDX was terrible (IMHO). As you can tell, selling the RDX was a forced thing. I promised myself to buy one in the future and have it as a second or third vehicle that I can drive on the weekends for example. Mine was Royal Blue Pearl, I have only ever seen 4-5 in that color in my life....have never seen mine again since it sold unfortunately.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 AM
Racer

The biggest issue with the 1G RDX is 100% the looks. It is extremely polarizing. The other issue is that it is kind of tight in there (the trunk space is terrible) and the ride (which was great to me and WAY softer than my Sorento) is harsh to some people. But ask it to deliver and it will deliver! I have owned X5's, I owned the MDX, I owned touaregs (a platform mate to the cayenne) and they can't hold a candle to the RDX.

I literally got my rdx to drift with the tail out on dry roads in the past (unintentional by the way, but it happened). For a FWD based crossover to be able to do that with a 4 cylinder engine just speaks volumes to how sport oriented that vehicle is. In the winter, with winter tires, it was the most capable and controlled vehicle I have ever driven and we get some bad winters here. The seats and handling were amazing and the interior quality is also pretty nice as well (not mind blowing, but it's nice in there). One of my favorite interior features is those little storage bins in the front doors with the closing lids. I absolutely love those and they have to be the smartest idea I have ever seen for a storage solution in a vehicle. The ELS stereo in my RDX was WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the crap in my MDX. The ELS in the MDX was terrible (IMHO). As you can tell, selling the RDX was a forced thing. I promised myself to buy one in the future and have it as a second or third vehicle that I can drive on the weekends for example. Mine was Royal Blue Pearl, I have only ever seen 4-5 in that color in my life....have never seen mine again since it sold unfortunately.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was considering a 2008 Acura TL to replace my ML350. What a bust that turned out to be. I ran a Car Fax and found out I would have been the 8th owner, it had been salvaged and apparently was a lemon as 3 of the owners didn't keep it for longer than 1 year. Thank goodness for the internet and car history reports! Anyway, I've considered getting another 1st gen RDX should the ML start crapping out on me (I had the electrical issues fixed for a surprisingly cheap price of $450). To avoid having two of the exact same SUV's I would probably get a pre 2010 before they "refreshed" it by adding the beak and definitely a different color. To me, the front end is the worse part of the 1st gen. The rest of it is beautiful, IMO. I once got a GLC as a loaner while I had some work done on my ML. Although the Merc's turbo was more responsive, I thought our RDX was very comparable considering the HUGE price difference. The 1st gen RDX is a good value for sure, hope you are able to eventually get another.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was considering a 2008 Acura TL to replace my ML350. What a bust that turned out to be. I ran a Car Fax and found out I would have been the 8th owner, it had been salvaged and apparently was a lemon as 3 of the owners didn't keep it for longer than 1 year. Thank goodness for the internet and car history reports! Anyway, I've considered getting another 1st gen RDX should the ML start crapping out on me (I had the electrical issues fixed for a surprisingly cheap price of $450). To avoid having two of the exact same SUV's I would probably get a pre 2010 before they "refreshed" it by adding the beak and definitely a different color. To me, the front end is the worse part of the 1st gen. The rest of it is beautiful, IMO. I once got a GLC as a loaner while I had some work done on my ML. Although the Merc's turbo was more responsive, I thought our RDX was very comparable considering the HUGE price difference. The 1st gen RDX is a good value for sure, hope you are able to eventually get another.
Oh I thought you were looking at an RL. I love the looks of the 3G TL, but the fact it is FWD ruins it for me. I will never buy a FWD car after driving an ILX this past winter as a loaner for a few hours. I don't care if it has winter tires or what it has, it's never happening for me. I was going to buy a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe a couple summers ago, it was beautiful and fully loaded, did a carproof and found 15K of damage...walked away so fast.

What was the issue with your ML? Also lmao yes $450 is dirt cheap on a German car unfortunately. But I am very glad it was easy and cheap to fix. My biggest issue with the 1G is the front end, but you know what, getting that front oem lip thing really helps take away some of the ugliness IMHO. The rear end of the pre-lift looks 1000000 times better than the facelift rear end, as do the wheels and exhaust tips. Though there are some notable upgrades to the facelift model like nicer leather and navigation.

Thanks man, I really hope to be able to get one again. Going to go either white or silver next time (love the rdx in white and silver), if I can't find RBP again. I was so close to pulling the trigger on an ML a while back, I'm kind of very happy to not have done it to be honest.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 AM
Racer

Oh I thought you were looking at an RL. I love the looks of the 3G TL, but the fact it is FWD ruins it for me. I will never buy a FWD car after driving an ILX this past winter as a loaner for a few hours. I don't care if it has winter tires or what it has, it's never happening for me. I was going to buy a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe a couple summers ago, it was beautiful and fully loaded, did a carproof and found 15K of damage...walked away so fast.

What was the issue with your ML? Also lmao yes $450 is dirt cheap on a German car unfortunately. But I am very glad it was easy and cheap to fix. My biggest issue with the 1G is the front end, but you know what, getting that front oem lip thing really helps take away some of the ugliness IMHO. The rear end of the pre-lift looks 1000000 times better than the facelift rear end, as do the wheels and exhaust tips. Though there are some notable upgrades to the facelift model like nicer leather and navigation.

Thanks man, I really hope to be able to get one again. Going to go either white or silver next time (love the rdx in white and silver), if I can't find RBP again. I was so close to pulling the trigger on an ML a while back, I'm kind of very happy to not have done it to be honest.
Oops, you are right. I meant to say RL not TL. The biggest electrical problem I was having with the ML was the ignition not always cranking the first time (and sometimes the second and third). I found out it wasn't the starter and thought it was going to be even more expensive. It was just something loose so I got it and a problem with a faulty break light fixed along with my routine maintenance. It pays to find a good certified mechanic who no longer works for Mercedes and has his own shop. Otherwise, I'm sure even those little things would cost double what I paid.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Oops, you are right. I meant to say RL not TL. The biggest electrical problem I was having with the ML was the ignition not always cranking the first time (and sometimes the second and third). I found out it wasn't the starter and thought it was going to be even more expensive. It was just something loose so I got it and a problem with a faulty break light fixed along with my routine maintenance. It pays to find a good certified mechanic who no longer works for Mercedes and has his own shop. Otherwise, I'm sure even those little things would cost double what I paid.
Yeah that is the issue with Germans, you ALWAYS have to have a mechanic who specializes in them to be able to afford them. I thankfully know a very good ex-BMW mechanic very well who has a shop and he saved me many many thousands on previous vehicles. But I just got tired of the stress. I got tired of never knowing what or when something was going to pop up and if I could afford it. It wasn't worth it for me anymore. I am the type of person who has to have everything working properly and I micro-manage my cars very critically so it's not for me lol.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Well I have been calculating my MPG with the Sorento over the past month and have been getting happier and happier. First tank average a measily 15.5 MPG, second tank averaged 16.5 MPG, third tank averaged 17.5 MPG, 4th tank was 18.5 MPG and the latest tank is a whopping 19.5 MPG!!

This is without hyper milling or any change in driving style and even includes a few times where I just really gave it! This is 100% city driving and actually a good 50-60% of the time it was in stop and go downtown traffic too. Considering the EPA estimate is 18MPG city, call me VERY happy. I think the reason for this steady increase in MPG is because when I first got it the weather was around -20 so I was always remote starting for 5-10 mins. Now I rarely remote start it because the weather has mostly been in the positive teens. I wonder if I can top the 19.5. I am going to try hyper milling and see what happens with the next tank. Goal is 22 MPG!
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Null and proud of it

(About the Camry⤵️)

I hope I can tighten up the steering with better tires, but I like its heft... It has a "solid" feeling when driving it... How were your brakes? Mine feel so slow, it's like driving a big truck, I can't hardly stop it... Usually, Toyotas have touchy brakes, but these are pathetic...
Old 04-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Null and proud of it

The RDX has a 48/52 weight distribution, same as the Corvette!!!

Also, the Sorento rides rougher than the RDX? Dang? Well, the RDX does feel smooth in a way sometimes... I love the styling, blue is bueatiful!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Racer

(About the Camry⤵️)

I hope I can tighten up the steering with better tires, but I like its heft... It has a "solid" feeling when driving it... How were your brakes? Mine feel so slow, it's like driving a big truck, I can't hardly stop it... Usually, Toyotas have touchy brakes, but these are pathetic...
Hmm, yeah I'd say something may be wrong. I've had a 1999, a 2002 and a 2007. The brakes on all of them were excellent. Nothing like what you describe at all.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:06 AM
Null and proud of it

Hmm, yeah I'd say something may be wrong. I've had a 1999, a 2002 and a 2007. The brakes on all of them were excellent. Nothing like what you describe at all.

I had a 2001 Camry 2.2 (5SFE), well, still have it... Bad advice to repair an oil leak caused its demise, don't use ATP-205 re-seal... Anyway, I felt its steering was quicker, breaks were light, but actually slowed the car quick enough... Also, I've driven a 2003 ES300 and 2016 Camry SE, which would be like hitting a curb if you laid on them, haha...

I dont know, but Toyotas usually have pretty powerful brakes... It's bad enough, I jumped off a ramp last month... The pads are low, 1/4, but not squeaking yet, but could that be affecting fluid pressure? Which seems odd to me... Or are they horrible pads? They're not a safety concern as it stops fine, just have to put your foot into them...

It just surprised as new cars all have excellent brakes...
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys im new here. I recently purchase my Gen2 2011 MDX and im pretty happy with it. I have a quick question hoping you guys can help. mdx gen2 runs with 5x120 lug pattern and I was wondering if bmw e92 wheels would fit? they are running 5x120 as well however the bore size is different. anyone here tried fitting one on their ride if it fits? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 AM
Racer

I had a 2001 Camry 2.2 (5SFE), well, still have it... Bad advice to repair an oil leak caused its demise, don't use ATP-205 re-seal... Anyway, I felt its steering was quicker, breaks were light, but actually slowed the car quick enough... Also, I've driven a 2003 ES300 and 2016 Camry SE, which would be like hitting a curb if you laid on them, haha...

I dont know, but Toyotas usually have pretty powerful brakes... It's bad enough, I jumped off a ramp last month... The pads are low, 1/4, but not squeaking yet, but could that be affecting fluid pressure? Which seems odd to me... Or are they horrible pads? They're not a safety concern as it stops fine, just have to put your foot into them...

It just surprised as new cars all have excellent brakes...
My guess would be horrible pads, maybe even defective. I can't see the pressure being affected by that though. I know they haven't started squeaking yet but I'd probably have them replaced beforehand. You're aware you have to put your foot into it to get it to stop but still could be a safety hazard under the right (or wrong) emergency circumstances. Better safe than sorry since you're going to have to get them done eventually anyway.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 AM
Null and proud of it

My guess would be horrible pads, maybe even defective. I can't see the pressure being affected by that though. I know they haven't started squeaking yet but I'd probably have them replaced beforehand. You're aware you have to put your foot into it to get it to stop but still could be a safety hazard under the right (or wrong) emergency circumstances. Better safe than sorry since you're going to have to get them done eventually anyway.

This isn't my primary vehicle, and the brakes feel alright, but it's like driving a pickup truck or big SUV (Suburban)... I'll address that when the budget permits, but I am wondering about it... I've only put like 400 miles on it in 41 days...

Heck, I've put over 500 on the RDX just today and yesterday taking day trips around the state... But yeah, I'll have to have it looked at...

Also, were yours 4 or 6 cylinders?

I find the 2.4 in the 2008 is quick, like I actually burned rubber tonight... Also, it's so noisy, the 2.2 was pretty quit, and it would put out a really nice whine before redline!!! Much like the 2004 Accord 2.4 I drove in Oct/2015...

I see see we have a new MDX owner here, best of luck and enjoy the ride!!!

RDX10, has been absent today...
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Racer

This isn't my primary vehicle, and the brakes feel alright, but it's like driving a pickup truck or big SUV (Suburban)... I'll address that when the budget permits, but I am wondering about it... I've only put like 400 miles on it in 41 days...

Heck, I've put over 500 on the RDX just today and yesterday taking day trips around the state... But yeah, I'll have to have it looked at...

Also, were yours 4 or 6 cylinders?

I find the 2.4 in the 2008 is quick, like I actually burned rubber tonight... Also, it's so noisy, the 2.2 was pretty quit, and it would put out a really nice whine before redline!!! Much like the 2004 Accord 2.4 I drove in Oct/2015...

I see see we have a new MDX owner here, best of luck and enjoy the ride!!!

RDX10, has been absent today...
All of my Camry's were 4 cylinders. I wish the 2007 was a 6 banger. I won't admit this to my wife but one of the main reasons I lost interest in the 07 was after I was out accelerated by a Prius one day as I was trying to speed up at a light to so that I could merge into a lane. Didn't see that coming...lol. Well, the Camry had some issues that were going to need addressing shortly so I had to make up my mind to keep or get rid of it anyway. Losing in a race against a Prius was just the thing that tipped the scales.

I also owned a 2004 Accord before (6 cylinder). I loved that car but sold it to get a TL which I loved even more so no regrets.

Good luck to our new MDX owner. Sorry, I don't have the knowledge about MDX's to answer your question.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Null and proud of it

All of my Camry's were 4 cylinders. I wish the 2007 was a 6 banger. I won't admit this to my wife but one of the main reasons I lost interest in the 07 was after I was out accelerated by a Prius one day as I was trying to speed up at a light to so that I could merge into a lane. Didn't see that coming...lol. Well, the Camry had some issues that were going to need addressing shortly so I had to make up my mind to keep or get rid of it anyway. Losing in a race against a Prius was just the thing that tipped the scales.

I also owned a 2004 Accord before (6 cylinder). I loved that car but sold it to get a TL which I loved even more so no regrets.

Good luck to our new MDX owner. Sorry, I don't have the knowledge about MDX's to answer your question.

I actually like I4 because I can floor it and not have to lift my foot almost immediately.... It's fast enough for a rush without going 70 mph in a few seconds.... Also, I heard VVT-I kick in, odd enough... Vtec kicked in in my Toyota, haha!!!

Im getting more stuff done, check out my thread...