Finally got myself a 2G MDX!

Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery

But this is really what I want^^^!

I just can't decide between the K24 and J30, I love the quick but not overkill of the I4, but I just don't know if I could live without the torque of the V6... I like to accelerate 0-60 at 1/4 throttle, not to exceed 4K RPM in about 10 seconds... Can the I4 do that, I doubt it...

Thats what I love about the RDX, it just doesn't downshift, and when it does, it doesn't put me into the seat harder as RPMs increase... I think the power and is very flat...

Oh well, enough to about that... That'll be a replacement for my old Camry...

Now, I got an oil change at the dealer yesterday, only cost $37 USD... Not bat at all!!! And they used the Honda grade Synthedic as specified... In fact, my dealer is in the top 50 new car dealers in the U.S., I'm just proud of my little old town I guess...

Yes, New Orleans has alligators, but they're not in town, more in the marsh lands south and west... People run over them, and it's bad, like hitting a big log in the road, it's killed people before... Likely, I'm never, well, was never near those areas...

If you want to see whet it's like, don't expect all Frech Quater Cajun junk, that's an over statement of reality there, I wast primarily in the Metairie area...

Im done with that life...

Well, I'm glad to write on here from time to time...

Good of see updates...

Best at of luck with the MDX and all you're doing to it!!!
Thanks man, best of luck with your RDX and whatever you end up with as well. I also recommend you take a look at the 2007+ Hyundai sonata. It is a very good looking car IMHO and there is a lot of car for the money right now.

Just knowing there are alligators anywhere nearby is enough to horrify me, thank god we have no reptile life here large enough to cause harm.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Thanks man, best of luck with your RDX and whatever you end up with as well. I also recommend you take a look at the 2007+ Hyundai sonata. It is a very good looking car IMHO and there is a lot of car for the money right now.

Just knowing there are alligators anywhere nearby is enough to horrify me, thank god we have no reptile life here large enough to cause harm.
Well, I'm with livestock, deer, and cayotes now!!!

I'm also living with an 1800lb horse now, go figure...

I considered the Sonota, but I just want an Accord... And I REALLY want the K24 backseat I can really USE ALL of my power...

I'm keeping the RDX, I'm not the only driving it... God, I need an extra vehicle, well, really two....

The only Hyundai, well, "Kia" I want is the Spectra5, now that would be excellent!!!

I've never seen an alligator outside of a Zoo, but they are everywhere, other that people's front yards and porches...

By the way, I just completed a "REAL" drift!!!

Tomatrow row is supposed to be in the mid-twenties!!! Good for 0-60s!!!

I saw you were about -4 today, yikes!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

As of a few days ago the MDX is sold!

Hello Guys,

Just want to say an extra special thank you to skirmich for all his help and pointers and amazing/thorough DIY's and thank you to everyone else who followed along with my car buying journey haha. Ultimately I decided to sell the MDX because it was getting absurd with things popping up every single day that it got to the point where I would say a little prayer before opening it and turning it on. This coupled with the piss poor fuel economy was the final nail in the coffin for me.

My navi was gone, bluetooth gone, lights burning out on the inside for different switch gear, random check transmission and engine warnings, random low oil warnings, stuck (completely, took me 20 mins one time in -30 weather to open it) gas cap door lid thing, and remote that would 3/5 times not work at all (could have been battery I don't know). Was paying $80 to fill it and only getting about 350kms while driving like a grandma. Yes it is winter, and yes I did let it idle, but for where I am in my life (about to to to grad school and just about done my Biology degree) I need something more fuel efficient and reliable.

I considered keeping it and fixing everything...but then it was a case of pros and cons and unfortunately the cons heavily outweighed the pros. This will be my last Honda/Acura product for a VERY long time. Not sure what I am going to be getting next, currently on my list is 2011+ Ford Edge, 2012+ Kia Sorento, or 2013+ Hyundai santa fe. The Audi Q5 was on my list, as well as volvo xc60 but they are just out of my price range and maintenance is suspect. I'll probably be opening up a new thread to show what I end up with in the car talk section.

Anyways thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the help.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Sad to hear you go man.. I think it was a bad apple or something I havenīt had any issues with mine for quite some time but still my MPGs are not something to write home about hahaha but in any case I knew what to expect when I bought it in that regard perhaps you were a little more trusty on the EPA Ratings than I did. My TL-S got me tru my Engineering Degree with 24mpg and 250whp I would not have bought the MDX for school though..

-The low oil thing is 100% the Oil Pressure Sensor (Mine also did that until I replaced it)
-The Gas Cap getting stuck had a TSB and it was replaced under warranty (It affects Freezing climates only)

Hope you can get a better deal next time.

Last edited by Skirmich; 02-19-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Sad to hear you go man.. I think it was a bad apple or something I havenīt had any issues with mine for quite some time but still my MPGs are not something to write home about hahaha but in any case I knew what to expect when I bought it in that regard perhaps you were a little more trusty on the EPA Ratings than I did. My TL-S got me tru my Engineering Degree with 24mpg and 250whp I would not have bought the MDX for school though..

-The low oil thing is 100% the Oil Pressure Sensor (Mine also did that until I replaced it)
-The Gas Cap getting stuck had a TSB and it was replaced under warranty (It affects Freezing climates only)

Hope you can get a better deal next time.
I am confident that I got a really bad apple and that it wasn't what the MDX is actually about. There are literally TONS on the road and in my neighbourhood alone there are probably like 20. So they can't possibly be this unreliable and still be so popular and common. It sucks because I bought the MDX with the preconception that I was going to drive it to 300k with nothing but routine maintenance.

Other things I didn't mention above was the rust on BOTH rear wheel wells and on the rear hatch and the horribly chipped clear coat on the lower doors. So this was turning into a money pit. I did know about the Fuel (lack of) economy before purchasing and had it not had those issues, I would have put up with it gladly because VERY few SUV's will drive this well when pushed. I was so impressed at how smooth it took corners.

I want to get something newer with decent options that I can keep for a few years through law school and maybe even a little after that. That's why I am looking at newer more reliable options. The MDX is a bad choice for that for sure!

didn't know about the gas cap TSB, wish I checked. Would take me so much time to open it at the gas station each time. My 2007 RDX was rock solid bullet proof, not a single issue or hickup ever. HFL and navi worked 100%. Zero false warnings ever.

Thank you for the good wishes man, I appreciate it. I hope your MDX never gives you any of the issues I had and I will keep the forum updated.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Research the Edge before buying one. We had an Escape that was totaled, we were considering replacing it with an Edge before we bought the MDX. I was turned off by reports of bad engine problems in many of them. Forgot exactly what it was, but it sounded pretty bad.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AlanW
Research the Edge before buying one. We had an Escape that was totaled, we were considering replacing it with an Edge before we bought the MDX. I was turned off by reports of bad engine problems in many of them. Forgot exactly what it was, but it sounded pretty bad.
Thank you Alan, I really appreciate the heads up. I'll do some research, in truth the Edge is near the bottom of my list because I don't really care for "myfordtouch" and all that it can entail. The last thing I want is to buy another vehicle only to have to either dump my bank account onto it or sell it because it's a pile of junk again.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Lease a Q7?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Lease a Q7?
WAY out of my price range, not even remotely anywhere near haha. Hopefully after law school maybe, but now no lol. If I was to lease, I would want around $300-$350 per month payments. It's not entirely off the table to lease something though, just that I don't like the idea of "throwing my money away" to "borrow" a car and I don't want to have payments.

Another option is to finance something, but I really don't want to have debt going into grad school. I've been really lucky that my family has paid for my Uni, so so far I owe $0 for my science degree. But I might have to start taking some loans for grad school because there is a possibility I go to vancouver or calgary (a city in another province on the west coast or a city 3 hours south of where I currently live respectively) and therefore either going to live the dorm life or rent a small apartment and expenses will add up.

So not that I can't afford to finance/lease something new but moderately priced, just that I think it might be best to use the money from the MDX sale to buy the newest car with the lowest KM's I can afford that I like and just drive that through grad school.

Also assuming I could afford it, I would be looking at the RR sport or a Jeep SRT8 over a Q7 any day of the week.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Null and proud of it

OK, I know, my RDX is doing the same random crap, but not the extent you described...

Hondas can be that way, they either LOVE you or HATE you...

I guess you and I have learned that the Kia Sorento SX is the best sporty SUV out there!!! I do like the Edge/MKX very much though!!!

The police here in the states haul A** around turns in their Explorers, they must be something!!!

Dang, if only we had the choice in SUVs as we did in sports sedans.....!

Well, best of luck, and you're always a member here!!!

Here's to the quest for a better ride!!!

May the third try be the charm, well, you had all those Tourages, I hope it all works out...

Also, we never had a problem with the 2007 Kia Sportage we had, except both oxygen sensors after a faulty jump start, but that's just new vehicles in general...

Best of Luck!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

OK, I know, my RDX is doing the same random crap, but not the extent you described...

Hondas can be that way, they either LOVE you or HATE you...

I guess you and I have learned that the Kia Sorento SX is the best sporty SUV out there!!! I do like the Edge/MKX very much though!!!

The police here in the states haul A** around turns in their Explorers, they must be something!!!

Dang, if only we had the choice in SUVs as we did in sports sedans.....!

Well, best of luck, and you're always a member here!!!

Here's to the quest for a better ride!!!

May the third try be the charm, well, you had all those Tourages, I hope it all works out...

Also, we never had a problem with the 2007 Kia Sportage we had, except both oxygen sensors after a faulty jump start, but that's just new vehicles in general...

Best of Luck!!!
Hey man, sorry I just seen this today!

Yeah my RDX loved me, the MDX hated me. I did end up with a black on black sorento SX and I am absolutely thrilled by it. I love it. I did like the edge but a comparable limited model with decent mileage was about 20-25k so not worth it at all for me. So far so good with the sorento, So far I have yet to own anything american or italian lol but who knows. Maybe a SRT jeep in a few years (Both american and italian lol)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Hello Guys,

Just want to say an extra special thank you to skirmich for all his help and pointers and amazing/thorough DIY's and thank you to everyone else who followed along with my car buying journey haha. Ultimately I decided to sell the MDX because it was getting absurd with things popping up every single day that it got to the point where I would say a little prayer before opening it and turning it on. This coupled with the piss poor fuel economy was the final nail in the coffin for me.

My navi was gone, bluetooth gone, lights burning out on the inside for different switch gear, random check transmission and engine warnings, random low oil warnings, stuck (completely, took me 20 mins one time in -30 weather to open it) gas cap door lid thing, and remote that would 3/5 times not work at all (could have been battery I don't know). Was paying $80 to fill it and only getting about 350kms while driving like a grandma. Yes it is winter, and yes I did let it idle, but for where I am in my life (about to to to grad school and just about done my Biology degree) I need something more fuel efficient and reliable.

I considered keeping it and fixing everything...but then it was a case of pros and cons and unfortunately the cons heavily outweighed the pros. This will be my last Honda/Acura product for a VERY long time. Not sure what I am going to be getting next, currently on my list is 2011+ Ford Edge, 2012+ Kia Sorento, or 2013+ Hyundai santa fe. The Audi Q5 was on my list, as well as volvo xc60 but they are just out of my price range and maintenance is suspect. I'll probably be opening up a new thread to show what I end up with in the car talk section.

Anyways thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the help.
Wow, I haven't been following this thread for a while. Sad to see you leave the Honda/Acura family but glad you found something you like. I can relate to the little things that keep popping up. I'm approaching 93k in the ML and am starting to notice some little electrical issues such as needing to crank the key more than once because everything freezes on the first or second try (used to happen about 1 time out of 40 but now more like 1 time out of 10). They say it's not the starter going bad, it's something else more expensive. As you are well familiar with, a German car is not a Honda and little things cost so much more to fix that I'm getting antsy as I approach 100k. Also, the cost to re-fill and the crappy gas mileage. Today, I'm looking at a 2008 RL and am seriously considering pulling the trigger if all goes well. It doesn't hurt that it's selling for an awesome price. I may soon be an exclusive Acura member or I may own an Acura and a Honda as the 2009 Accord is my second choice of a replacement vehicle. Hope you continue to post over here as I always enjoy reading up on your endeavors!

Last edited by Acuramon; 03-25-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acuramon
Wow, I haven't been following this thread for a while. Sad to see you leave the Honda/Acura family but glad you found something you like. I can relate to the little things that keep popping up. I'm approaching 93k in the ML and am starting to notice some little electrical issues such as needing to crank the key more than once because everything freezes on the first or second try (used to happen about 1 time out of 40 but now more like 1 time out of 10). They say it's not the starter going bad, it's something else more expensive. As you are well familiar with, a German car is not a Honda and little things cost so much more to fix that I'm getting antsy as I approach 100k. Also, the cost to re-fill and the crappy gas mileage. Today, I'm looking at a 2008 RL and am seriously considering pulling the trigger if all goes well. It doesn't hurt that it's selling for an awesome price. I may soon be an exclusive Acura member or I may own an Acura and a Honda as the 2009 Accord is my second choice of a replacement vehicle. Hope you continue to post over here as I always enjoy reading up on your endeavors!
Hey man, nice to hear from you again.

For my case with the MDX, it wasn't big major things going wrong, just a ton of small minor things that built up over time ruining the car experience for me. When it gets to the point where I actively choose to drive another car when I can take mine, there is a something going on.

I will admit that I always disliked Honda products but my RDX really changed that for me, I then bought the MDX based off of that experience and was unfortunately majorly let down. I don't think all MDX's are bad, but I just got unlucky and was not willing to take a chance on another one.

In terms of your ML, I would start seriously considering dumping it, Germans start showing warning signs at around 1
Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acuramon
Hey man, nice to hear from you again.

For my case with the MDX, it wasn't big major things going wrong, just a ton of small minor things that built up over time ruining the car experience for me. When it gets to the point where I actively choose to drive another car when I can take mine, there is a something going on.

I will admit that I always disliked Honda products but my RDX really changed that for me, I then bought the MDX based off of that experience and was unfortunately majorly let down. I don't think all MDX's are bad, but I just got unlucky and was not willing to take a chance on another one.

In terms of your ML, I would start seriously considering dumping it, Germans start showing warning signs at around 100k miles and then it becomes a game of hot potato. Little things starts popping up here and there and eventually it becomes a huge mess

My sorento is treating me really well and I can afford any major maintenance on it so i'm happy.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Null and proud of it

Hey man, sorry I just seen this today!

Yeah my RDX loved me, the MDX hated me. I did end up with a black on black sorento SX and I am absolutely thrilled by it. I love it. I did like the edge but a comparable limited model with decent mileage was about 20-25k so not worth it at all for me. So far so good with the sorento, So far I have yet to own anything american or italian lol but who knows. Maybe a SRT jeep in a few years (Both american and italian lol)

Stay on here man!!!

I tried the Kia forum and didn't like it, too big, kind of like Toyotanation...

I've been looking at Sorento SX's since November 2011, when I got tired of having space and comfort issues with the 2007 Sportage... This literally refuled my love for automobiles and made me actually know things about them...

I'm yet to even sit in a 2011-13 Sorento SX, but knowing what I know, and after looking up pictures like everyday when I was 14-15, and pretty much making the Kia lineup a conversation peice multiple times a day, I know I'd rather one than any other CUV!!!

I do love the RDX, and it costed 9-12K less than the Sorentos at the time!!!

Im SO happy for you, and I want pictures!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Stay on here man!!!

I tried the Kia forum and didn't like it, too big, kind of like Toyotanation...

I've been looking at Sorento SX's since November 2011, when I got tired of having space and comfort issues with the 2007 Sportage... This literally refuled my love for automobiles and made me actually know things about them...

I'm yet to even sit in a 2011-13 Sorento SX, but knowing what I know, and after looking up pictures like everyday when I was 14-15, and pretty much making the Kia lineup a conversation peice multiple times a day, I know I'd rather one than any other CUV!!!

I do love the RDX, and it costed 9-12K less than the Sorentos at the time!!!

Im SO happy for you, and I want pictures!!!
Lol I think I have been active on here more now that the MDX is sold than I was before! I joined the Kia forums...that place is just sad. Especially the 2011-2013 Sorento section, maybe 1 post every 3-4 days and even then there are a TON of posts that are simply just ignored altogether. That's why I love it on here.

I have been looking at Sorento's since 2011 wheh they first came out myself. So I am really happy to have one finally. Literally been trying to get one for like 5 years but it was always out of my price range or very rare. A 2011-2013 Sorento SX only comes for sale in my province once every few months. Otherwise a ton of LX (base) and some middle trim EX models for sale.

I am really happy with it, but I just wish I could change a couple things, number one being the interior is all hard plastic (except the stitched gauge cluster lid) so I wish it was a little more premium like the 2016 models. The second thing is that I wish it had a full time AWD system and MORE POWER (it already has 276hp and does 0-60 in 6.8s, so don't get me wrong it is fast enough....I just can't help wanting more power!). The last thing is that the ride can be a little bit hard, it's not harsh, it's just really firm and while it gives me good handling, I sometimes want that softer ride you know! When the 2011 sorento first came out the ride was HARSH and really hurt. But in 2012 all models got special dual flow dampeners that have like 2 compartments in the shocks, 1 for soft settings and one for sport settings so it's supposed to give me the best of both worlds....not sure that it delivers.

It handles surprisingly well though and it has hydraulic steering vs electric so it has amazing steering feel and a nice but not too heavy steering heft. It comes loaded with pano roof, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, smart key....etc so it delivers on that end. I hope to keep it for a few years.

As for pics, it has been really bad here with melting snow so I haven't had a chance to properly wash it yet. And thank you very much man! I'm really happy for you and the new camry. How is it doing?

Last edited by RDX10; 03-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM

I wish KIA had good design.. The Sorento looks.. Plain? the rear end reminds me of a tuareg and the front well.. Kia-ish?
I reckon even the 2007 MDX is better built than the Newish +2010 Sorentos because the 2007 Sorento well a picture tells a thousand words:
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish KIA had good design.. The Sorento looks.. Plain? the rear end reminds me of a tuareg and the front well.. Kia-ish?
I reckon even the 2007 MDX is better built than the Newish +2010 Sorentos because the 2007 Sorento well a picture tells a thousand words:
You should go sit in a 2016 Sorento SXL and tell me your opinion on it, it blew me out of the water. It honestly puts the 3G MDX to shame. In terms of style, you are looking at the 2007 model there, back then Kia was very generic asian. But honestly I do like that generation, it is very mercedes ML like (and the touareg is one of my favorite models, but I don't see touareg in any generation of Kia at all). I have the 2012 SX model, I'll post a similar pic below till I can get good pics.

In terms of build quality, honestly the 2003-2009 Kia Sorento was not too bad and had the same soft touch in places comparable to the MDX in terms of soft touch material use, but the MDX was 70K fully loaded here while the Sorento was 27k so of course the leather was nicer and more carpeting...etc. However yes the 2007 MDX has MUCH better quality compared to the 2012 model I have (Kia was just up and coming in 2011 with a brand new plant in Georgia so they did cut in some materials quality). But go take a look at a 2016 SXL model and you will be blown away.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is a better pick to show the black mesh accents and aggressive "air intake" openings. As well as the clam shell hood that looks very range roverish

Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
You should go sit in a 2016 Sorento SXL and tell me your opinion on it, it blew me out of the water. It honestly puts the 3G MDX to shame. In terms of style, you are looking at the 2007 model there, back then Kia was very generic asian. But honestly I do like that generation, it is very mercedes ML like (and the touareg is one of my favorite models, but I don't see touareg in any generation of Kia at all). I have the 2012 SX model, I'll post a similar pic below till I can get good pics.

In terms of build quality, honestly the 2003-2009 Kia Sorento was not too bad and had the same soft touch in places comparable to the MDX in terms of soft touch material use, but the MDX was 70K fully loaded here while the Sorento was 27k so of course the leather was nicer and more carpeting...etc. However yes the 2007 MDX has MUCH better quality compared to the 2012 model I have (Kia was just up and coming in 2011 with a brand new plant in Georgia so they did cut in some materials quality). But go take a look at a 2016 SXL model and you will be blown away.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 2G MDX. Overall, you have it a shot and it didn't work out for ya. I must agree that the Korean cars have improved dramatically over the years. I've worked on my in-laws Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm blown away by the ease of maintenance and they are pretty reliable. The new Santa Fe is really nice I might add...

If I wasn't hell-bent on getting a manual sedan, I'd get a Hyundai Genesis or even consider a Equus.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nats007
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the 2G MDX. Overall, you have it a shot and it didn't work out for ya. I must agree that the Korean cars have improved dramatically over the years. I've worked on my in-laws Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm blown away by the ease of maintenance and they are pretty reliable. The new Santa Fe is really nice I might add...

If I wasn't hell-bent on getting a manual sedan, I'd get a Hyundai Genesis or even consider a Equus.
It's all good man, I really wanted to love the MDX more than I did. I tried to ignore all the issues and just work past it, but unfortunately things just kept popping up so sadly it was time let it go.

Thanks for the good words on the Koreans, I have to admit I find myself often needing to make excuses for my own choice in getting the Sorento. Sadly the ghosts of Kia's past still linger freshly in people's minds. It does cloud my full appreciation of it a little bit, but honestly I did drive many other things and I couldn't justify some of the more expensive things because they were not any better and offered less and didn't look as good IMHO. We also currently own a 2009 santa fe and previously owned a 2007 santa fe limited (till I spun out and smashed the front suspension to bits on a cement divider during an icy day) and had ZERO problems with either. You can't even tell the engine is on because of how smooth it is.

Genesis is going to unveil the G70 soon, that is promising a twin turbo V6 and a manual! I would hold out a little longer man.

Last edited by RDX10; 03-28-2017 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nats007 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

It's all good man, I really wanted to love the MDX more than I did. I tried to ignore all the issues and just work past it, but unfortunately things just kept popping up so sadly it was time let it go.

Thanks for the good words on the Koreans, I have to admit I find myself often needing to make excuses for my own choice in getting the Sorento. Sadly the ghosts of Kia's past still linger freshly in people's minds. It does cloud my full appreciation of it a little bit, but honestly I did drive many other things and I couldn't justify some of the more expensive things because they were not any better and offered less and didn't look as good IMHO. We also currently own a 2009 santa fe and previously owned a 2007 santa fe limited (till I spun out and smashed the front suspension to bits on a cement divider during an icy day) and had ZERO problems with either. You can't even tell the engine is on because of how smooth it is.

Genesis is going to unveil the G70 soon, that is promising a twin turbo V6 and a manual! I would hold out a little longer man.
I know the feeling! I had similar issues with my 2G TL. Loved that car and still miss it, but too many issues that I had to let it go. I tend to be a Honda/Acura fan boy, but I'm looking for best value nowadays. My next car will not be brand specific like I used to be. Definitely will check out the g70 in a couple of years when I'm ready to car shop again.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I know the feeling! I had similar issues with my 2G TL. Loved that car and still miss it, but too many issues that I had to let it go. I tend to be a Honda/Acura fan boy, but I'm looking for best value nowadays. My next car will not be brand specific like I used to be. Definitely will check out the g70 in a couple of years when I'm ready to car shop again.
You know what is worse than selling a car you want to love because of problems? It is selling a car you actually really love because it won't work for you anymore. Case in point my 2007 RDX. Really still miss that thing. Nothing drives quite like it did. If it is the best value you are after, you'll be shopping in the Koreans lots most definitely lol. Can't wait for the G70 to come out.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM

I sincerely cant put myself down to buy a KIA, The styling is not my cup of tea, the rear end looks really bad IMO those square tail-lights are nothing worthy of +2010 and the front end looks like the Ford Edge got a discussion with Scion and they both ended up in bed. I have to confess I am an Acura & Honda fanboy and I donīt see me buying anything else till the day I die.. But that doesnīt mean I agree with the bland and uninspiring Design Choices Acura & Honda have made lately, The most extravagant and daring car they have is the freaking NSX which I cant afford even used. But the new MDX? meh looks like a Pilot, The new TLX? well the facelift model is around the corner soo maybe they are having a comeback but still my Next car will either be a ZDX or a 4G TL 6 speedo manual SH-AWD.

Lastly.. I get you got problems with your MDX but I really think it was simply a bad buy from the beginning.. I would not have pulled the trigger if the NAV wasnīt working for example, Heck I literally stalked and examined my current MDX for at least 3 days in a row, Looking at every inch and every corner for defects until I was completely satisfied. The only issue my MDX had at the time was that it needed a new Steering Tie Rod and that is it.. Everything else was showroom worthy.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I sincerely cant put myself down to buy a KIA, The styling is not my cup of tea, the rear end looks really bad IMO those square tail-lights are nothing worthy of +2010 and the front end looks like the Ford Edge got a discussion with Scion and they both ended up in bed. I have to confess I am an Acura & Honda fanboy and I donīt see me buying anything else till the day I die.. But that doesnīt mean I agree with the bland and uninspiring Design Choices Acura & Honda have made lately, The most extravagant and daring car they have is the freaking NSX which I cant afford even used. But the new MDX? meh looks like a Pilot, The new TLX? well the facelift model is around the corner soo maybe they are having a comeback but still my Next car will either be a ZDX or a 4G TL 6 speedo manual SH-AWD.

Lastly.. I get you got problems with your MDX but I really think it was simply a bad buy from the beginning.. I would not have pulled the trigger if the NAV wasnīt working for example, Heck I literally stalked and examined my current MDX for at least 3 days in a row, Looking at every inch and every corner for defects until I was completely satisfied. The only issue my MDX had at the time was that it needed a new Steering Tie Rod and that is it.. Everything else was showroom worthy.
Well with all due respect, you call it putting yourself down, I call it making an informed choice. I don't feel I put myself down, I could have gotten older models with more luxurious interiors but I got a 2012 with low mileage for a good price that looks good to me, is reliable, and I am not worried about things popping up daily or things popping up that I cannot afford (like with some Germans).

It's kind of ironic that you call the Sorento bland and ugly but you are also overlooking the strong resemblance to the MDX itself. Look at the D pillar and head lights and you'll see it too. One time there was a sorento in front of an MDX at a red light and I was like holy crap the side profile is almost exactly the same. The good thing about people is that we have different tastes.I find current Acuras extremely bland and current Kia's very good looking. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In terms of my MDX, hindsight is always 20:20. I waited a few months to find an MDX in my price range and this one popped up. I got there and the nav played momentarily and then stopped, I assumed it was something minor, never ever thought maybe it was wrecked. Everythng else either showed itself after or popped up on it's own. Lesson learned on my end about shopping under pressure. That is something I will never do again. With my Sorento, I checked EVERYTHING.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 PM

You mean the side? a lot of cars looks like that.. Audis, Mercs even some BMWs.. They all have the same D-Pillar shape its normal in plenty of Crossovers.
Its no original to the MDX though I am pretty sure the 2G MDX is a Q7 Knockoff. I have seen our rear tail lights in the Audi A6 and in the Q5 I think? the older one not the new.

But nope those square shaped tail lights its a no go in the Sorento..

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Null and proud of it

Yes, that's why I love Kia's!!!

I know, the Kia forum just feels pedestrian, I might should say, basic...

I probably won't even post on ToyotaNation or Camry forums which are now ghost towns...

The Camry is doing fine... I just got done installing HIDs, which work surprisingly well in halogen projectors....

I'm about to post pics in my thread, hope I get them all in...

I haven't had a chance to wash it yet, so it looks like a dirty farm truck, haha!!!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Suzuka Master

You mean the side? a lot of cars looks like that.. Audis, Mercs even some BMWs.. They all have the same D-Pillar shape its normal in plenty of Crossovers.
Its no original to the MDX though I am pretty sure the 2G MDX is a Q7 Knockoff. I have seen our rear tail lights in the Audi A6 and in the Q5 I think? the older one not the new.

But nope those square shaped tail lights its a no go in the Sorento..
I don't really see Q7 in the MDX save for the tail lights which by the way are also found on the Civic. To each his own.

Yes, that's why I love Kia's!!!

I know, the Kia forum just feels pedestrian, I might should say, basic...

I probably won't even post on ToyotaNation or Camry forums which are now ghost towns...

The Camry is doing fine... I just got done installing HIDs, which work surprisingly well in halogen projectors....

I'm about to post pics in my thread, hope I get them all in...

I haven't had a chance to wash it yet, so it looks like a dirty farm truck, haha!!!
Yeah the Kia forum is a ghost town. Kinda surprised there is like 135 pages and 20-30 threads on each page on the 2011-2013 sorento subforum and yet it's so dead. How did it ever get that large?

I seen your thread and commented on it. I like what I am seeing man.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 AM

This is the side line I think the MDX ripped off the 2007 Q7:

Same roof slope at the end and the rear door window frame to d pillar window is the same.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-29-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:18 AM
Suzuka Master

This is the side line I think the MDX ripped off the 2007 Q7:

Same roof slope at the end and the rear door window frame to d pillar window is the same.
I honestly can't say I see it. With the Sorento there is that chunky D-pillar, same one found on the MDX. But I think we can agree that most crossovers look the same anyways nowadays which sucks.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 AM

Its all about the front and the rear now.. The side is like copy and paste everywhere.. I really don't mind that much the sides but the Rear (Which is what most people will see anyway) has to be good..
The front end in the 2G was great before the facelift I have gotten a lot of compliments on it because it looks bold.... I was under the impression it was a love it or hate but I have yet to met anyone that sees my MDX and does not say something good about the Shield Grille.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

To reach their own for sure... Everyone had different tastes. I personally love the post facelift 2G MDX way more than the pre. If it wasn't for the facelift, I'd probably have a Infiniti J35
Old 03-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Its all about the front and the rear now.. The side is like copy and paste everywhere.. I really don't mind that much the sides but the Rear (Which is what most people will see anyway) has to be good..
The front end in the 2G was great before the facelift I have gotten a lot of compliments on it because it looks bold.... I was under the impression it was a love it or hate but I have yet to met anyone that sees my MDX and does not say something good about the Shield Grille.
To reach their own for sure... Everyone had different tastes. I personally love the post facelift 2G MDX way more than the pre. If it wasn't for the facelift, I'd probably have a Infiniti J35
I'm kind of in the middle on both looks. I like the front end of the facelift 2G WAY more than the front end on the pre-lift model (especially with all that tacky unpainted plastic...don't get me wrong, it's awesome for preventing wear but looks terrible and clunky). I like the rear end of the pre-facelift model way more than the post-lift model but I like the tail lights on the post lift way more.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 AM

^ Yeah the Facelift rear end screw it up specially in the exhaust... I mean square shaped tailpipes that do not conform to the bumper is insane it looks bad as hell.. I also like the facelift model myself (Just the Bumper F**** the Beak Peak Grille) I think the front bumper aka boat end of the pre-lift is ugly as hell BUT The facelift front end destroys the amazing approach angle the MDX had, So its basically 100% Not off road worthy which was one of my interest for getting the Pre-lift model the Approach angle of the 07-09 is super generous but is also why the front end looks like a boat hahahaha.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:43 AM
Suzuka Master

^ Yeah the Facelift rear end screw it up specially in the exhaust... I mean square shaped tailpipes that do not conform to the bumper is insane it looks bad as hell.. I also like the facelift model myself (Just the Bumper F**** the Beak Peak Grille) I think the front bumper aka boat end of the pre-lift is ugly as hell BUT The facelift front end destroys the amazing approach angle the MDX had, So its basically 100% Not off road worthy which was one of my interest for getting the Pre-lift model the Approach angle of the 07-09 is super generous but is also why the front end looks like a boat hahahaha.
I actually HATE those rectangular tail pipes on the face lift model, I think they look abaolutely awful and even somewhat amusing. But I probably hate the boat like front end of the pre-lift model even more than that. Regardless, what sold me on the MDX in the first place was the AWD system, 300hp engine, and overall not bad (not great either) inteior design and quality. The 3G MDX looks like someone took a 2G and dropped a weight on it. It's too slab sided and flat and long looking. The 2G had those muscular wheel arches that bulged out really wide on the front wheels and mildly on the rear. It really was a very masculine vehicle and it didn't get washed out by the X5 like the current model does.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:06 AM

A 3G MDX was in front of my car today.. I swear if the car didnīt have an Acura badge and the MDX badge I would have assumed it was a generic asian car... There is nothing appealing to the 3G rear end looks super plain and super soft to hell this added to the fact it has no exhaust pipe killed it completely for me.. Those chromed squares with the red signals in the bumper looks completely out of place and tacky as hell:

The 2G Rear End (Pre-lift) walks all over it:

Once I paint match the black plastic trim in the bumper to the car paint it will look even better... I donīt think Acura will ever trump it.
If we could have the Facelift bumper with the Shield Grille and Jewel Eyes LEDs in the headlights? that would have been the best 3G... I hope Acura steps up with the 4G because right now the 3G has been a letdown.. The 2017 facelift fixed the horrible beak but still the rear end is a mess.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

A 3G MDX was in front of my car today.. I swear if the car didnīt have an Acura badge and the MDX badge I would have assumed it was a generic asian car... There is nothing appealing to the 3G rear end looks super plain and super soft to hell this added to the fact it has no exhaust pipe killed it completely for me.. Those chromed squares with the red signals in the bumper looks completely out of place and tacky as hell:

The 2G Rear End (Pre-lift) walks all over it:

Once I paint match the black plastic trim in the bumper to the car paint it will look even better... I donīt think Acura will ever trump it.
If we could have the Facelift bumper with the Shield Grille and Jewel Eyes LEDs in the headlights? that would have been the best 3G... I hope Acura steps up with the 4G because right now the 3G has been a letdown.. The 2017 facelift fixed the horrible beak but still the rear end is a mess.
Agreed on the generic asian design. It really is extremely plain and boring, not to mention the missing exhaust outlets (and even the weird ass vertical ones on the 2017 models) looks odd and ugly and cheap. You can't claim to be a "sports suv" without exhaust tips. Also that new diamond pentagon grille is awful, it's time Acura fires that guy. Does it also bother you that 10 years ago the MDX made 300 hp and it now makes 290? I know it is a small difference but like damn it bothers me haha. The only design element I like about the 3G is the jewel eyes, those look gorgeous. Everything else can die.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:56 PM

Well after you enjoy the 300HP awesome V8 MPG Performance I donīt really mind haahahahaha I will kindly give 10HP for the 3G MPG Numbers. 20-22MPGs Average sure beats my 17MPGs Average.

Last edited by Skirmich; 03-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Well after you enjoy the 300HP awesome V8 MPG Performance I donīt really mind haahahahaha I will kindly give 10HP for the 3G MPG Numbers. 20-22MPGs Average sure beats my 17MPGs Average.
Lmao I was averaging 12-14mpg on "winter blend" (winter is a thing here) gasoline. So I can see your point of view lmao. The new MDX also does 0-60 in 5.9s....man I wish mine did that!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 PM
Null and proud of it

The new MDX also does 0-60 in 5.9s....man I wish mine did that!
Then you would've had a harder time parting with it... Oh, a "big" 2007 SUV that's faster than a TL-S, haha.... But still, that's crazy, even for 2017!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally got myself a 2G MDX!