Finally got myself a 2G MDX!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
^^ Ohhh I didn´t know the DVD Unit also played Normal CDs.. I thought it was only for DVD and DVD Audio Discs, That is good to know.
I wonder how many cycles was the Tailgate opening/closing motor was tested for Seems us Men take more advantage of it than the wifey, I kind of feel jealous every time she takes the wheel and I am the passenger so lately she rarely touches the X hahahahaha I would never guess that I will be so content to drive a 2 Ton CUV like it was the TL-S...
Old 08-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
My 6 disc CD changer does not load-error message, but at least there is not a disc stuck in it. My Nav doesn't work correctly either. The dealer said they just send those units to the manufacture, which is Alpine, so I don't think the dealer sending the unit to Alpine is going to be any less than you sending it to Alpine. I noticed several "factory approved service centers" would fix the Nav unit or CD changer for around $300.
The DVD unit plays CDs just fine, just only one at a time with less controls.
And I love the power tailgate. I told my wife I'm probably gonna wear that thing out....
I emailed a Canadian alpine repair shop. They want $458 plus taxes and shipping...I wonder it will be cheaper to send to the states. Just a couple years ago people were paying $158 in the states.

I love the lift gate lol. I don't know why.

Originally Posted by Skirmich
^^ Ohhh I didn´t know the DVD Unit also played Normal CDs.. I thought it was only for DVD and DVD Audio Discs, That is good to know.
I wonder how many cycles was the Tailgate opening/closing motor was tested for Seems us Men take more advantage of it than the wifey, I kind of feel jealous every time she takes the wheel and I am the passenger so lately she rarely touches the X hahahahaha I would never guess that I will be so content to drive a 2 Ton CUV like it was the TL-S...
Haha it is a man thing I think. We just have to play with everything. There is just something cool about opening and closing the door without touching it haha. Let's hope they tested it out for tons and tons of cycles! It would suck if it stopped working.

Haha I totally get you on that one! The 2G MDX has a really strong personality or soul to it. It makes you really like it. Some cars you drive and they feel like appliances, others you drive and actually feel connected to them!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 PM

I know right? its fun to see people actually eye balling the MDX like it was a New model or something... I think the 2G has the best Design so far, I love the Pre-Beak Era Grille it looks AWESOME! The only thing I envy from the +2010 is the 6 Speed (And Adaptive Cruise)... But If I gotten one I would have try to retrofit our Grille for sure.

I came from work today and MAN it was hot.... 115°F on the dash... I need to give the A/C a Service cuz at idle it tend to get hotter than while driving, perhaps it needs a re-charge.
This is my Next Mod for Sure

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-15-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

I know right? its fun to see people actually eye balling the MDX like it was a New model or something... I think the 2G has the best Design so far, I love the Pre-Beak Era Grille it looks AWESOME! The only thing I envy from the +2010 is the 6 Speed (And Adaptive Cruise)... But If I gotten one I would have try to retrofit our Grille for sure.

I came from work today and MAN it was hot.... 115°F on the dash... I need to give the A/C a Service cuz at idle it tend to get hotter than while driving, perhaps it needs a re-charge.
This is my Next Mod for Sure Car A/C Hack | How to Make your AC Cold Colder Coldest | Bundys Garage - YouTube
The pre-facelift 2G was really futuristic for its' time (that might be why it was so disliked). I have liked it forever. I also agree the grille is actually my favorite part. I really really like it and don't see what everyone else hates about it. I like all the tech changes and material changes in the update 2G.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

This is my Next Mod for Sure Car A/C Hack | How to Make your AC Cold Colder Coldest | Bundys Garage - YouTube
The pre-facelift 2G was really futuristic for its' time (that might be why it was so disliked). I have liked it forever. I also agree the grille is actually my favorite part. I really really like it and don't see what everyone else hates about it. I like all the tech changes and material changes in the update 2G. The exterior changes minus the wheels don't do much for me (especially the tail pipes).

I went for a long hike today in in +86f and I thought that was bad..115? Hell no!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Derek

Received 143 Likes on 104 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

We also have an 08 X Elite model(Canadian version).

Love it, although we have had a few issues, but, overall, it's been great.

Wish it had a USB port, not sure why it wouldn't in 2008!

Got the ok from my wife to colour match the bumpers and grill, so, that will be the next thing. We plan to drive it in to the ground, so, despite the fact we have owned it for 3 years, it will still look good with a bit of a refresh/restyle.

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:13 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
^^ I kind of feel jealous every time she takes the wheel and I am the passenger so lately she rarely touches the X hahahahaha I would never guess that I will be so content to drive a 2 Ton CUV like it was the TL-S...
Haha, just the opposite for me. I don't let the wife ever drive the TL without my (adult) supervision because it's an MT and requires a lot of attention, and she hammers the clutch too often.
So, she rarely lets me drive the MDX when we go out in it most every evening. I was kind of cool on the X at first, but now that I've driven it more, it's a pretty awesome truck- zero to 60 in 6.5 seconds, great cornering for something so heavy, the SH-AWD is great, and it has that "Acura" feel to it.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Congratulations on the X! Welcome to the club!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:25 PM

Haha, just the opposite for me. I don't let the wife ever drive the TL without my (adult) supervision because it's an MT and requires a lot of attention, and she hammers the clutch too often.
So, she rarely lets me drive the MDX when we go out in it most every evening. I was kind of cool on the X at first, but now that I've driven it more, it's a pretty awesome truck- zero to 60 in 6.5 seconds, great cornering for something so heavy, the SH-AWD is great, and it has that "Acura" feel to it.
My wife actually has her own car a BMW 325i seen in our shot to the trip to Baja Sur:
Name:  F4145861-D413-480C-8160-3D846104D1F7-7563-00000BC0115F138D.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  322.7 KB
So is my TL-S and now the MDX is also Technically mine
I think the conceptions of having an CUV is, "Make your wife drive the CUV" (or SUV) but Nope with my Wife, She misses the Bimmer when driving the MDX so she kinda has a "Meh" attitude when driving the fat lady..

That is why I rather drive the fat lady instead and let her dream of driving the Bimmer..
That bimmer BTW has been the most horrific maintenance experience for me hahahaha that is why I Love Acuras, So easy to work on.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SykVSyx
Congrats on the purchase.

We also have an 08 X Elite model(Canadian version).

Love it, although we have had a few issues, but, overall, it's been great.

Wish it had a USB port, not sure why it wouldn't in 2008!

Got the ok from my wife to colour match the bumpers and grill, so, that will be the next thing. We plan to drive it in to the ground, so, despite the fact we have owned it for 3 years, it will still look good with a bit of a refresh/restyle.

Enjoy the new ride!
Oh hello fellow Canadian and thank you. Where you from? I'm from Alberta. The 2G mdx was sort of odd to me, the 2005 RL had push button start, cooled seats, real wood...etc yet the MDX got none of that.

What color is your MDX? I like the idea of color matched bumpers (might do it myself) but I don't think color matched grille will look too good (unless your MDX is black and you plan on leaving some central parts silver).

Your MDX is an update 2G? Because the 2007-2009 takes around 7.0-7.5s.

Originally Posted by nats007
Congratulations on the X! Welcome to the club!
Thank you, I love it. It has a luxury feel that the 2 2004 and 2006 Touaregs, 2004 and 2008 X5's I had could not match. It really has this sort of substantialness to it that I love. Oh and the engine sounds amazing. Vtech at 4000 rpms is too addicting.

My wife actually has her own car a BMW 325i seen in our shot to the trip to Baja Sur:

So is my TL-S and now the MDX is also Technically mine
I think the conceptions of having an CUV is, "Make your wife drive the CUV" (or SUV) but Nope with my Wife, She misses the Bimmer when driving the MDX so she kinda has a "Meh" attitude when driving the fat lady..

That is why I rather drive the fat lady instead and let her dream of driving the Bimmer..
That bimmer BTW has been the most horrific maintenance experience for me hahahaha that is why I Love Acuras, So easy to work on.
I will not EVER buy a BMW again. The biggest POS cars ever.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Some pics finally

I can't wait anymore and will finally post a pic, it isn't a pic I wanted to post, will post better ones after insurance on friday but as teh cl said, this thread is useless without pics!

Seriously love the elite package wheels, I just love them.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Also changed the cabin and engine air filters, they looked nasty as hell.

By the way for the pics actually uploading the right side up!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 AM

SWEEET!!!!
I love the Elite wheels too (Those are the SPORT Wheels for the USA) I wish mine came with those not loving the stock wheels.

Get some HIDs in the Fog Lights ASAP! This is Low Beam + Fogs with Morimoto´s XB35s 5500K (In this video Fogs were wrong they sent me 6500 instead, But now I have the matching 5500K):

This pic is all 5500K in Low and Fogs:
Name:  IMG_0239_zpsndaxmulq.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  226.5 KB

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-17-2016 at 12:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:41 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Dang!!! Nice MDX, it looks really clean!!!

Canada doesn't really look any different from us!!!

You've got a nice driveway there!!!
RDX10 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I can't wait anymore and will finally post a pic, it isn't a pic I wanted to post, will post better ones after insurance on friday but as teh cl said, this thread is useless without pics!

Seriously love the elite package wheels, I just love them.
Whooo, that looks NICE! Loving the silver. I always liked the grill better than the beak that replaced it. When we were trying to decide which version of the 2G we wanted when we were considering an MDX, my wife and I would always call it The Shield vs. The Beak (the "Shield" won out). The only thing that really prevented us from buying is that we were keeping the RDX so didn't want two SUV's that looked too much alike although the MDX is a different animal. Good pickup, hope you get the problems worked out with your navi. BTW, I played with the auto lift gate for the first month after purchasing the ML. I still get a kick out of it 7 months later. LOL.

Last edited by Acuramon; 08-17-2016 at 12:55 AM.
RDX10 (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 AM
Suzuka Master

SWEEET!!!!
I love the Elite wheels too (Those are the SPORT Wheels for the USA) I wish mine came with those not loving the stock wheels.

Get some HIDs in the Fog Lights ASAP! This is Low Beam + Fogs with Morimoto´s XB35s 5500K (In this video Fogs were wrong they sent me 6500 instead, But now I have the matching 5500K): Morimoto XB35 - YouTube

This pic is all 5500K in Low and Fogs:
I absolutely love them. Probably one of the nicest rims Acura has had yet IMHO. The matte-metallic-oldish finish is awesome. It grabs the light perfectly!

I agree, the fogs totally need to be replaced like yesterday. I always hated HID's in the fogs, but to be honest the fogs in the MDX suck anyways so might as well make them look nice.

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Dang!!! Nice MDX, it looks really clean!!!

Canada doesn't really look any different from us!!!

You've got a nice driveway there!!!
Oh yeah, This was after a wash, clay bar, and Wax. Took real good care of it!

No we look the same, except very very different than places like california, arizona, florida...etc. Southern states.

thanks man

Originally Posted by Acuramon
Whooo, that looks NICE! Loving the silver. I always liked the grill better than the beak that replaced it. When we were trying to decide which version of the 2G we wanted when we were considering an MDX, my wife and I would always call it The Shield vs. The Beak (the "Shield" won out). The only thing that really prevented us from buying is that we were keeping the RDX so didn't want two SUV's that looked too much alike although the MDX is a different animal. Good pickup, hope you get the problems worked out with your navi. BTW, I played with the auto lift gate for the first month after purchasing the ML. I still get a kick out of it 7 months later. LOL.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. This is my favorite Acura grille yet by a long shot. Acura should have kept it but removed the dimples and maybe made it slightly smaller. I also call it the shield, this was the only model to have the shield, sadly the 1G RDX missed out. The MDX is a completely different animal, very very comfortable, smooth, quiet. Has this feel of solidity like the Germans do, but it pulls it off without being too complicated and scary. Thanks man, I hope you have nothing but good luck with yours as well, I wish you were local, actually wish all you guys on this thread were local, you are all so cool.

I see myself playing with that gate too much haha.

I really need to source some running boards, useless but makes the MDX look amazing. Sadly expensive as hell as well. I also need to tint the front windows to match the side windows and then tint the rear quarter windows and rear window darker for privacy. Oh and today I seen a 2007-2009 MDX in royal blue pearl, I thought it was black and that my eyes were playing tricks on me, sure enough it was RBP. First time ever seeing that color on an MDX, let alone 2007-2009 model.

Last edited by RDX10; 08-17-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Derek

I'm in Ontario.

Ours is black, so I would only leave the 'A' logo/wings silver for the front grill.

Like this, and also with the front/rear bumper garnishes..

Ours has the oval running boards, though, which I prefer much better.

SERIOUSLY contemplating a set of the 20 x 8.5 Camaro SS wheels as well.

From what I have been reading the 9.5 are too wide, and it doesn't look good.

The 8.5 are pretty much the same as the stock Elite rims, as far as width. The X has an awesome stance already, so I would only stick with wheels that maintain that same stance.

Last edited by SykVSyx; 08-17-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm in Ontario.

Ours is black, so I would only leave the 'A' logo/wings silver for the front grill.

Like this, and also with the front/rear bumper garnishes..

Ours has the oval running boards, though, which I prefer much better.

SERIOUSLY contemplating a set of the 20 x 8.5 Camaro SS wheels as well.

From what I have been reading the 9.5 are too wide, and it doesn't look good.

The 8.5 are pretty much the same as the stock Elite rims, as far as width. The X has an awesome stance already, so I would only stick with wheels that maintain that same stance.
Oh too bad, wish you were local!

That grille is literally EXACTLY what I had in mind. It is going to look stunning. With my mdx being silver, I don't know if it is worth color matching, I know the grille for certain is pointless. But on black it will look amazing. Do you think it will be as hard for us Canadians to find that garnish as it is for our neighbours down south? Also probably going to be like $500 each.

You are very bad for my wallet. Maybe it is a good thing you aren't local. I do have plans to step up to 20's eventually, but for some reason finding 20's that look good on the MDX is HARD. Like looking online, 1/50 look alright. Too many people want to put heavy chrome which is in my opinion.
The ZDX 20's may work too. But I am LOVING those camarro wheels seriously. They remind me of the audi "rotar wheels".

Keep us updated, I like where you are going with this.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Derek

The benefit with you having a silver X, is that whether or not you paint the bumpers, it will still look good.

The grey/silver combo goes together better than any other colour.

The garnishes can be found, but locally will cost an arm and a leg.

I would order them to the US and drive down and pick them up, probably still save a good bit of money even with the exchange.

The ZDX rims aren't bad, just too many spokes for my liking.

The Camaro rims are simple, always been a fan of 4-5 spoke wheels.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:25 PM
Null and proud of it

RDX10 -
The MDX is a completely different animal, very very comfortable, smooth, quiet. Has this feel of solidity like the Germans do, but it pulls it off without being too complicated and scary.
What exactly does solidity mean?

Does that mean less squirly steering feel? More firm on center?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
maybe I missed it, but what year is this and how much did you pick it up for?
would love an SUV later in life
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Later in life crab man? This is the time to own one before they are all 4cyl FWD for good...
Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

The benefit with you having a silver X, is that whether or not you paint the bumpers, it will still look good.

The grey/silver combo goes together better than any other colour.

The garnishes can be found, but locally will cost an arm and a leg.

I would order them to the US and drive down and pick them up, probably still save a good bit of money even with the exchange.

The ZDX rims aren't bad, just too many spokes for my liking.

The Camaro rims are simple, always been a fan of 4-5 spoke wheels.
I am glad it is silver, the bumper blends well with the paint. I REALLY wanted a white MDX but now with the bumpers and grille, I don't mind it anymore.

I was hoping you would not say that, I remember my touareg front and rear garnish was $1200 each. I said hell no and left. I think someone could make a killing with a 3D printer and copies of these things.

Eek, I thought the ZDX wheels looked different. I don't like it at all, and WAY too chromy. I am like you, I have always like simple 5 spoke wheels. Those camaro wheels are gorgeous, definitely going to keep my eyes out for these.

RDX10 -

What exactly does solidity mean?

Does that mean less squirly steering feel? More firm on center?
Solidity means that it feels like a tank or vault. Like it is carved out of a single piece of metal. When you drive it there are little to no vibrations...etc.

The rdx was solid too, but not nearly as solid as the MDX is (as expected).

Originally Posted by justnspace
maybe I missed it, but what year is this and how much did you pick it up for?
would love an SUV later in life
07 elite (sport with ent package for you guys). Picked up for 17.5k.

Later in life crab man? This is the time to own one before they are all 4cyl FWD for good...
:barf: SUV's keep getting grosser and grosser with all these fuel economy regs. If Acura dares take shawd out of the MDX, I give up on them.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 PM

They already did... I pity anyone driving a FWD MDX... Those surely handle very badly and they don´t even have the P-AWS option.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

They already did... I pity anyone driving a FWD MDX... Those surely handle very badly and they don´t even have the P-AWS option.
I also pity anyone driving a fwd mdx, but by take out shawd, I meant like how they did with the rdx. Give us a shitty joke for an awd system without the availability of shawd.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Null and proud of it

Solidity, hmm... It's kind of like a heavy and tight feeling at the same time... Like you can feel the largeness of the vehicle, yet it still feels tight... How's the steering compared to the RDX, I find the RDX steering light unless I'm in a really tight curve... Like very little adjustment with no steering weight will throw me side to side... I just wish it was firm on center...

White would meme it a little less sporty... Call me crazy, but I really feel that color can somewhat alter how sporty a vehicle is, but I think it boiles down to how to mod it, and how to develop a connection with the vehicles color, and how it affects it's personality!!!

It looks good!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM

I also pity anyone driving a fwd mdx, but by take out shawd, I meant like how they did with the rdx. Give us a shitty joke for an awd system without the availability of shawd.
I think that was the STRONGEST selling point the RDX had, It was over-equipped for its price point and the handling characteristics it gained cannibalized the MDX Sales and that is a royal no go for Acura.
Now that the new RDX has the i-AWD from the CR-V is back to business for Acura, the RDX cant quite compete with the MDX (Cross-shop) but at least its faster and get better MPGs than the previous gen RDX WIN-WIN for everybody.

Now Honda is basically kicking Acura balls outselling SH-AWD in Hondas... They can call it what they want but the new Pilot and Ridgeline have SH-AWD, That is Honda basically saying F*** You Acura. LOTS of People will actually pay 10K more just to have an Acura Badge and the Looks, Cuz Feature wise the Pilot and the MDX now cross-shop easily.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-17-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Null and proud of it

I think that was the STRONGEST selling point the RDX had, It was over-equipped for its price point and the handling characteristics it gained cannibalized the MDX Sales and that is a royal no go for Acura.
Now that the new RDX has the i-AWD from the CR-V is back to business for Acura, the RDX cant quite compete with the MDX (Cross-shop) but at least its faster and get better MPGs than the previous gen RDX WIN-WIN for everybody.

Now Honda is basically kicking Acura balls outselling SH-AWD in Hondas... They can call it what they want but the new Pilot and Ridgeline have SH-AWD, That is Honda basically saying F*** You Acura. LOTS of People will actually pay 10K more just to have an Acura Badge and the Looks, Cuz Feature wise the Pilot and the MDX now cross-shop easily.
What, the AWD emblem that I see on a new Pilot or Ridgeline is actually secret SH-AWD, really???

Wow, the new Ridgeline looks cool, but being FWD or FWD biased, it must understeer really bad, that'll fix it!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:53 PM

Called "i-VTM4" is Honda Strategy to not name it SH-AWD already.. The New Ridgeline is basically a Pilot underneath with stronger suspension components.
By all the tech PDFs out there for i-VTM4 its easy to spot key resemblance to SH-AWD, Mainly TORQUE VECTORING which both the Pilot and Ridgeline have.

I believe the only difference is Action Time (How long can the Rear Wheels be Engaged) and Torque Vectoring Ratio (How faster the rear wheel can go) which are both less than what the MDX can do. i-VTM4 its basically a tuned down version of the new SH-AWD (From the 2015 and up MDX) but SH-AWD in a Honda none-the-less.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-17-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Solidity, hmm... It's kind of like a heavy and tight feeling at the same time... Like you can feel the largeness of the vehicle, yet it still feels tight... How's the steering compared to the RDX, I find the RDX steering light unless I'm in a really tight curve... Like very little adjustment with no steering weight will throw me side to side... I just wish it was firm on center...

White would meme it a little less sporty... Call me crazy, but I really feel that color can somewhat alter how sporty a vehicle is, but I think it boiles down to how to mod it, and how to develop a connection with the vehicles color, and how it affects it's personality!!!

It looks good!!!
Yes exactly how you described it. Steering is really good. Because I have the adaptive shocks, it also effects steering feel. In sport it is REALLY heavy, in comfort it feels just right. I don't remember my rdx being too light, it was just right to me with slightly light. The 2G is WAY too light though.

I like white because it makes the MDX look even classier. I have been wanting a white car since my first car and still haven't gotten to have one yet. I almost got a white 2012 sorento SX but the dealer lied to me and I didn't get it (oh well, still love my MDX).

Thanks man, I know it will grow on me. I love the fat ass and those hips!

Called "i-VTM4" is Honda Strategy to not name it SH-AWD already.. The New Ridgeline is basically a Pilot underneath with stronger suspension components.
By all the tech PDFs out there for i-VTM4 its easy to spot key resemblance to SH-AWD, Mainly TORQUE VECTORING which both the Pilot and Ridgeline have.

I believe the only difference is Action Time (How long can the Rear Wheels be Engaged) and Torque Vectoring Ratio (How faster the rear wheel can go) which are both less than what the MDX can do. i-VTM4 its basically a tuned down version of the new SH-AWD (From the 2015 and up MDX) but SH-AWD in a Honda none-the-less.
Basically all the hardware is there for SH-AWD but the software is absent. Seems like a perfectly good waste of a really neat tech.

While RDX sales are up, I don't think the RDX cannabalized MDX sales whatsoever. Completely different size class, completely differen looks...etc. I see 50 2G mdx's for every 1G Rdx. In fact now I see about as many 2G rdx's as 3G mdx's. You also have to remember that the 1G rdx went for $45-$50k and it really didn't come with a lot. The 2013-2015 rdx IMHO was bland af and lacked immensely, way more than the 1G did.

I just see it as Acura cutting costs, I don't think it was a marketing play.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 AM

Basically all the hardware is there for SH-AWD but the software is absent. Seems like a perfectly good waste of a really neat tech.
Just to be clear, There is no absent tech. The new PILOT and RIDGELINE have SH-AWD.
They both have Torque Vectoring. The difference is I-VTM4 seems to Torque Vectoring for Traction Only, Not for Performance in Corners like SH-AWD is Tuned. There is no SH-AWD like info view in the MID either for this reason in I-VTM4.

Quote:
"Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4) AWD System
The Pilot's available new Intelligent VTM4 (i-VTM4) is the most sophisticated and technologically advanced all-wheel-drive system offered in a mainstream, three-row SUV. This entirely more capable system progressively distributes optimum torque between the front and rear axles and, for the first time ever in a Honda vehicle, dynamically distributes engine torque between the left and right rear wheels using the new, lightweight rear drive unit. Benefits include superior all-weather handling and neutral, accurate steering under power that is unmatched by front-drive, rear-drive or conventional all-wheel-drive systems."

http://www.hondanews.com/releases/be...ow-suv-segment

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-18-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Just to be clear, There is no absent tech. The new PILOT and RIDGELINE have SH-AWD.
They both have Torque Vectoring. The difference is I-VTM4 seems to Torque Vectoring for Traction Only, Not for Performance in Corners like SH-AWD is Tuned. There is no SH-AWD like info view in the MID either for this reason in I-VTM4.

Quote:
"Intelligent Variable Torque Management (i-VTM4) AWD System
The Pilot's available new Intelligent VTM4 (i-VTM4) is the most sophisticated and technologically advanced all-wheel-drive system offered in a mainstream, three-row SUV. This entirely more capable system progressively distributes optimum torque between the front and rear axles and, for the first time ever in a Honda vehicle, dynamically distributes engine torque between the left and right rear wheels using the new, lightweight rear drive unit. Benefits include superior all-weather handling and neutral, accurate steering under power that is unmatched by front-drive, rear-drive or conventional all-wheel-drive systems."

Beauty, Brawn and Brains: The 2016 Honda Pilot is the Triple Threat Poised to Top the Three-Row SUV Segment - Honda News
I was under the impression that it didn't function on curves and that it only worked in low traction situations like before, but that this time it has the same hardware as shawd vs the past pilot. What I am trying to say is that the honda pilot has had vtm-4 since 2003 and iirc it also was able to vary torque across the rear axle but not in corners, only in traction situations and used a different hardware setup. Am I wrong?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 AM

The old VTM4 is vastly different from SH-AWD (Gen 1 and 2), VTM4 was not designed to hold continuous load (It is part time) but it also lacked the overdrive sun gears that made Torque Vectoring possible. Both diffs are also physically different so it's not a matter of swapping parts and that's it either.

The new "Lightweight Unit" aka SH-AWD (Gen 3) is the same for 2015 TLX and up and +2016 MDX and the 2017 Ridgeline and Pilot. Is the same unit this time around in all 4 cars and it seems Tuning is the only thing that differentiates them. This new unit is the one that mostly resembles VTM4.. Sadly it looks like SH-AWD (Gen 3) is basically VTM4 "Gen 2" now known as I-VTM4

I dunno if you have read this but it's a very rewarding read and it explains all of this in detail:
Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis (Updated Jan.8, 2016) - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-18-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:57 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm well familiar with the feeling of solidity as described in this thread. What I want to know is, how is the acceleration in the MDX as compared to your old RDX? Do you miss the turbo or does the MDX make up for it in power? When I had my TL along with the RDX, the RDX actually felt slow in comparison because the TL had more power. But then again, the TL was lighter. Now that I have the RDX and a bigger SUV, the RDX feels much quicker and lighter to me.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
why would I pick up a new one?
by the time Im ready, the 07-08's will be nicely priced.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

The old VTM4 is vastly different from SH-AWD (Gen 1 and 2), VTM4 was not designed to hold continuous load (It is part time) but it also lacked the overdrive sun gears that made Torque Vectoring possible. Both diffs are also physically different so it's not a matter of swapping parts and that's it either.

The new "Lightweight Unit" aka SH-AWD (Gen 3) is the same for 2015 TLX and up and +2016 MDX and the 2017 Ridgeline and Pilot. Is the same unit this time around in all 4 cars and it seems Tuning is the only thing that differentiates them. This new unit is the one that mostly resembles VTM4.. Sadly it looks like SH-AWD (Gen 3) is basically VTM4 "Gen 2" now known as I-VTM4

I dunno if you have read this but it's a very rewarding read and it explains all of this in detail:
Acura SH-AWD: A Comprehensive Analysis (Updated Jan.8, 2016) - YouWheel.com - Car News and Review
I think we are saying the same thing lmao. That is what I meant when I said all the hardware for shawd is there but the software is not, you said the tuning is different so I think we are on the same page haha.

I did read that before (EXCELLENT read by the way). I will read it again though, it is very good.

Originally Posted by Acuramon
I'm well familiar with the feeling of solidity as described in this thread. What I want to know is, how is the acceleration in the MDX as compared to your old RDX? Do you miss the turbo or does the MDX make up for it in power? When I had my TL along with the RDX, the RDX actually felt slow in comparison because the TL had more power. But then again, the TL was lighter. Now that I have the RDX and a bigger SUV, the RDX feels much quicker and lighter to me.
The RDX felt faster for sure or maybe it is just a lot more nimble, but not under all situations. The other day while driving the MDX I pressed the pedal down while already going about 30 or 40km/h and it literally through me back in my seat. I was extremely surprised because even the rdx didn't do it as hard. With the RDX having a turbo, it is a fast car, but it doesn't feel as fast it is. Like it wasn't lag or not enough power persay, but that the power would come on more pronounced at 4k rpm vs dead stop (same deal with the MDX, except the MDX is more linear).

In terms of mid-range passing power, it feels the same. The RDX would take like a half second, then boom power, MDX is almost insant power (but of course both while already moving). Engine note is no competition, the mdx is the best sounding engine I have had yet (once it hits 4k rpm), better than my 4.2 touareg, 4.4 x5, and even 4.8 x5. It has a real grumble to it and a really aggressive tone. I cannot wait to install a j-pipe with HFPC and axle back exhaust.

Originally Posted by justnspace
why would I pick up a new one?
by the time Im ready, the 07-08's will be nicely priced.

Same reason I am waiting on a ZDX or cayenne turbo s in the next 3-4 years. Hoping to rock this MDX for minimum 3 years.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Null and proud of it

I think we are saying the same thing lmao. That is what I meant when I said all the hardware for shawd is there but the software is not, you said the tuning is different so I think we are on the same page haha.

I did read that before (EXCELLENT read by the way). I will read it again though, it is very good.

The RDX felt faster for sure or maybe it is just a lot more nimble, but not under all situations. The other day while driving the MDX I pressed the pedal down while already going about 30 or 40km/h and it literally through me back in my seat. I was extremely surprised because even the rdx didn't do it as hard. With the RDX having a turbo, it is a fast car, but it doesn't feel as fast it is. Like it wasn't lag or not enough power persay, but that the power would come on more pronounced at 4k rpm vs dead stop (same deal with the MDX, except the MDX is more linear).

In terms of mid-range passing power, it feels the same. The RDX would take like a half second, then boom power, MDX is almost insant power (but of course both while already moving). Engine note is no competition, the mdx is the best sounding engine I have had yet (once it hits 4k rpm), better than my 4.2 touareg, 4.4 x5, and even 4.8 x5. It has a real grumble to it and a really aggressive tone. I cannot wait to install a j-pipe with HFPC and axle back exhaust.

Same reason I am waiting on a ZDX or cayenne turbo s in the next 3-4 years. Hoping to rock this MDX for minimum 3 years.
Ohhhhh!!!!

The MDX does in fact FEEL faster than the RDX!!!

Let me guess, it downshifts, then throws you back into the seat, then slowly starts pulling harder as the RPMs increase!!! Eventually, you're lumbar squeezed into the seat...

And it leans way back...

That's what the Yukon's 5.3 V8 does despite its 7.7-8.0 0-60 time.....

I don't know what I'll ever have to do to the RDX to get it to do and feel like that... I'll start at Hondata and an intake, then take it from there...

Also, isn't the MDX's suspension softer, it'll lean back more that way, thus making the acceleration more dramatic!!!!

The RDX's spring rate is to firm, it just stays flat... I swear, if I don't look at the tachometer I wouldn't know I was really accelerating... A 2.5 Camry pulled harder, I don't know why...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 08-18-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Everything is f-up!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 AM

Its like most Hondas and Acuras.. They all Oversprung and Underdampened this creates the ilusion of a firmer ride but its also smooth.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Ohhhhh!!!!

The MDX does in fact FEEL faster than the RDX!!!

Let me guess, it downshifts, then throws you back into the seat, then slowly starts pulling harder as the RPMs increase!!! Eventually, you're lumbar squeezed into the seat...

And it leans way back...

That's what the Yukon's 5.3 V8 does despite its 7.7-8.0 0-60 time.....

I don't know what I'll ever have to do to the RDX to get it to do and feel like that... I'll start at Hondata and an intake, then take it from there...

Also, isn't the MDX's suspension softer, it'll lean back more that way, thus making the acceleration more dramatic!!!!

The RDX's spring rate is to firm, it just stays flat... I swear, if I don't look at the tachometer I wouldn't know I was really accelerating... A 2.5 Camry pulled harder, I don't know why...
Yes exactly, down shifts and throws me back. The RDX on the other hand could not do that. Maybe the RDX was less drama? I don't know lol.

The MDX suspension is not softer than the RDX persay, it is just more dampened. Especially since I have the adaptive shocks with a sport mode. Body lean is minimal so far.

Its like most Hondas and Acuras.. They all Oversprung and Underdampened this creates the ilusion of a firmer ride but its also smooth.
The MDX has a very Germanic ride. I like it a lot.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Null and proud of it

Yes exactly, down shifts and throws me back. The RDX on the other hand could not do that. Maybe the RDX was less drama? I don't know lol.

The MDX suspension is not softer than the RDX persay, it is just more dampened. Especially since I have the adaptive shocks with a sport mode. Body lean is minimal so far.
So, the MDX rides smoother and better, has more road presence, has a more "special" acceleration feel to it, and has more space... Not to mention automatic headlights, rear air, more luxury features, and highbeams that aren't wired into the DRL system so I could run HIDs, I can't freaking see at night, I wind up using the Nav map to find upcoming turns and curves in the twisty, winedy backroads...

Needless to say, if I hit a deer, I'm going straight for the MDX!!!

Thank you RDX10, I know know what I really want...

Sometimes I feel the RDX is kind of like a EX-L V6 Accord that's just tall... In terms of features, I mean...

Quick Reply: Finally got myself a 2G MDX!