Does My '13 MDX Have Takata Inflator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Does My '13 MDX Have Takata Inflator?

Hey Gang. Just joined up but a long time lurker. I have a 2013 AWD TL Tech and a 2013 AWD MDX w/ Tech & RES. Love them both. The TL is parked right now waiting for the airbag inflator to be replaced. I'm wondering if my MDX is going to be a part of the next group of vehicles recalled? Anyone heard rumors about this? Or does the MDX use a different system? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Honda is the largest client of takata...

I'm positive that my 2006 TL uses takata air bags.

I've been in one collision already and haven't had any flying projectiles.... But who knows....

Be safe out there
Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as of now, no. Honda Airbag Info Recall
Old 06-11-2016, 02:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not on Recall List NOT SAME as no Takata airbag

Thank you for starting this thread !!!
-- I've been attempting to research the same information as I have a 2013 MDX too.

Here's the disturbing reality I've pieced together from recall reports and recent articles from the WSJ and Businessweek magazine.

First
- the recall list only includes vehicle models with older Takata air bags, generally 10 years or more and requiring immediate replacement.
- Ten years is the age when Takata air bags typically begin failing due to humidity and temperature cycling.
- You will see the youngest car model in the recall list today stops at 2008.

Second
- The recall list DOES NOT include all vehicles manufactured with Takata air bags.
In fact, you can find and review a recent US senate report (June 1, 2016) that states:
a) 4 manufacturers continue to use the same flawed, Takata air bags in their 2016 cars!
b) Manufacturers have been authorized to repair recalled vehicles with the same air bag, with the understanding these replacement bags must be replaced a second time.

Therefore - IF your current car is not included in the recall, it is NOT safe to assume your car has a safer air bag.

No one -- not Takata, not the auto manufacturers, not even the NHTSA -- has published a comprehensive list of all vehicles manufactured with Takata air bags.
At this point in time, you and I have not been offered information to determine if our newer vehicles have a Takata air bag.

What to do?
- If you're on social media, post questions directly to your auto manufacturer (I have). ASK them to publish a list of every year, make and model of car they have manufactured using Takata air bags.
- Copy the NHTSA and major media outlets on your post.

- No one is going to voluntarily offer this information.
We need many, many car owners to publicly pressure manufacturers for this information.
New car buyers should demand proof before purchasing vehicles.

To be sure, I am not advocating panic. Clearly we can have a rational response to this...but the manufacturers must provide the public with a full disclosure on all cars built using Takata air bags.
We should not have to wait 8-10 years before finding out our car has Takata air bags because it was added to the recall list.

Now, this is purely speculation on my part...as mentioned above, I have not been able to find the information needed regarding my 2013 MDX
....but gauging from the facts:
a) 2003-2006 MDXs are on the list
b) car manufacturers are slow to change designs, even when problems become known
c) Honda recalls did not start until 2009 and did not significantly expand until 2011
there is a high probability my 2013 MDX has a Takata air bag.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I am inclined to believe you UNDOTCOM. The MDX is our family cruiser and to be honest, I'm getting frustrated that no one at Acura will give me a straight answer. My wife drives the TL now when she goes places without the kids but the reality is, we need the SUV for family trips and travel baseball games. Takata is certainly to blame for the design but Honda/Acura withholding information is making me question my purchase. I will say both vehicles have been trouble free and we love them. We just wish the airbag issue would be resolved quickly.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
As far as all the incidents are concerned with the airbags, the car the airbags were in were fairly old and were in hot, humid climates for nearly a decade. I wouldn't be so worried about the 13' sending debris since they aren't as old. I would be more concerned with any car that is older than 5 or so years.