Do MDX owners NOT like aftermarket wheels??

Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Z06-Track / MDX-Groceries

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Do MDX owners NOT like aftermarket wheels??

Hey everyone, just picked up a 2012 MDX and have noticed it's pretty hard to find threads or even google pics of MDX's with nice wheels? Is this just something the MDX crowd is not into doing, or is it that the wheel selections for the MDX suck?

The only pictures I've seen are gross fat chrome rims with rubber band tires, which is definitely not a good look IMO. I have several different sets of wheels for my other cars like HRE's, OZ's, CCW's....and I really want to do a blacked out, or graphite gray set of 19's on the MDX, but I just can't find any good pics to get ideas.

My last resort is to go to the stock dark gray 19" wheels that come on the advanced package MDX's, so do you guys know where I can get a set of those for a good price?

Thanks for any help or advice!
The following users liked this post:
Jamie Beard (12-13-2019)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
first, i dont' think too many MDX owners are into modding (hence the minimal activity within the community here).

second-i have not seen ANY wheels remotely worthy of putting on the MDX. the styling is too blingy or nonfunctional (really? you're going to put 20's or 22's on an SUV? you kind of defeated the purpose of the "U" in SUV. sadly i saw 20's on an xterra the other day ron jon puts out a nice wheel...but...they still don't quite look right on an SUV.

lastly, i have found that the only tasteful wheels (to my liking) i have seen are the OEM 19's on the advance pkg. places to find them....ask our vendors (acktl05 OR tim (peroria acura-i think))....or look in the black market for members selling. have you tried the other MDX forum site? there is a thread with AM wheels. please don't black out the wheels...IMO it cheapens the look of the car. graphite gray or gunmetal
2011 TSX (03-15-2014)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
first, i dont' think too many MDX owners are into modding (hence the minimal activity within the community here).

second-i have not seen ANY wheels remotely worthy of putting on the MDX. the styling is too blingy or nonfunctional (really? you're going to put 20's or 22's on an SUV? you kind of defeated the purpose of the "U" in SUV. sadly i saw 20's on an xterra the other day ron jon puts out a nice wheel...but...they still don't quite look right on an SUV.

lastly, i have found that the only tasteful wheels (to my liking) i have seen are the OEM 19's on the advance pkg. places to find them....ask our vendors (acktl05 OR tim (peroria acura-i think))....or look in the black market for members selling. have you tried the other MDX forum site? there is a thread with AM wheels. please don't black out the wheels...IMO it cheapens the look of the car. graphite gray or gunmetal
I honestly agree with you 100%!! That's what I meant by the tacky fat chrome rims with rubber band tires. Not only does it look cheap...but is absolutely non-functional. That's one reason I was asking about the 19" OEM wheels, as they look really good, especially the darker colored ones I've seen on the Advance package cars. I just found them on ebay for around $1100, but not sure if they are repros or OEM since the seller stated something about refurb??

I also agree with graphite or dark gray comment, but I wouldn't be opposed to a satin black wheel "IF", and only if the wheel looked good or matched the MDX styling properly.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
refurbished? i'd be a little weary. it probably means they were rashed and then refinished but that is no guarantee that the wheels aren't bent.

try our vendors. for you...since you're in HI...ask tim. he lives in NY i believe but he's in charge of the internet parts sales at an AZ dealer.
TapOut (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
vossen makes wheels that would be perfect for the mdx. their monoblock series. mdx fans tend not to be the idiotic bling crowd even though there are a few here
Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...rket-rims.html
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 AM

Thumbs up

Sweet, thanks for the link! A lot of bad looking wheels in that thread, but also several promising ones. I guess it's good to see what styles work/ or in the MDX's case, don't work. I think it's a hard balance to find a wheel that is sporty, but not too boy racer ish, and luxury, but not too blingy.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TapOut
Sweet, thanks for the link! A lot of bad looking wheels in that thread, but also several promising ones. I guess it's good to see what styles work/ or in the MDX's case, don't work. I think it's a hard balance to find a wheel that is sporty, but not too boy racer ish, and luxury, but not too blingy.
I don't know if I posted there, but I picked up the Idea for SS/Z28 wheels of the newer models. You NEED to use hubcentric rings (64mm ID/ 66mm OD) and Acura TPMS sensors to work with your system correctly with no re-cal. But I think it was a heck of an idea by another member so i went with it. The lines of the wheels follow the lines on the X quite well IMO. Normally I'm not a chrome person either, but I went with chrome this time since my X is bright ("Billet") Silver with all the chrome accents Acura throughs on, and I thought it would "flow" beter for the application.

Name:  805a6a40.jpg
Views: 8338
Size:  70.2 KB
Faces387 (06-19-2014)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by alcatranz518
I don't know if I posted there, but I picked up the Idea for SS/Z28 wheels of the newer models. You NEED to use hubcentric rings (64mm ID/ 66mm OD) and Acura TPMS sensors to work with your system correctly with no re-cal. But I think it was a heck of an idea by another member so i went with it. The lines of the wheels follow the lines on the X quite well IMO. Normally I'm not a chrome person either, but I went with chrome this time since my X is bright ("Billet") Silver with all the chrome accents Acura throughs on, and I thought it would "flow" beter for the application.

Yeah, for chrome rims those fit pretty well with your car. Today at the dealer I noticed the loaner MDX had a set of those chrome 20" ZDX wheels, and it looked really nice. I was kind of surprised....so that may be another set of wheels I may look into as well.
Faces387 (06-19-2014)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tapout check out the ZDX threads a lot more wheels put on those babies and both the Z & M DX both share same platform so you could get some ideas from there...
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Tapout check out the ZDX threads a lot more wheels put on those babies and both the Z & M DX both share same platform so you could get some ideas from there...
Thanks brother, I'll check it out. I'm assuming they run the same offset and spacing right?? (Since I've seen the stock ZDX wheels on the MDX before?)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have and MDX and the 19" rims that came with it are perfect for the profile in my opinion. The other set I would consider are the factory 19" they offer, i think they are called sparkle or something like that. Here is a link to them from a place i buy at sometimes. They are not cheap but I have seen them on a black MDX and it looked really awesome. They remind me of the a-spec I was gonna get for my TL.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acura...9-STX-XXX.aspx
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my neighbor has a first gen mdx black with some black rims looks semi decent IMO not the greatest looking but one of the very few mdxs ive seen with any sorta aftermarket rims
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Just be thankful you 2genners get 18" by default. How the 1gen "Touring" wheel remained a 17" doughnut from 2001-2006 baffles me. I couldn't wait to upgrade to 19".

OP, I agree with many here - there are a LOT of options for your MDX, you just need to weed out what you like. I personally think the ZDX 19's or 20's are the prime choices: TPMS work, no hub-rings required, and you usually can get them cheaper (eBay/CL) than aftermarkets (except the ZDX 20s can get up there in price).

Here are a few Xers sporting ZDX wheels:

19s

20s

Faces387 (06-19-2014)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Type34
Just be thankful you 2genners get 18" by default. How the 1gen "Touring" wheel remained a 17" doughnut from 2001-2006 baffles me. I couldn't wait to upgrade to 19".

OP, I agree with many here - there are a LOT of options for your MDX, you just need to weed out what you like. I personally think the ZDX 19's or 20's are the prime choices: TPMS work, no hub-rings required, and you usually can get them cheaper (eBay/CL) than aftermarkets (except the ZDX 20s can get up there in price).

Here are a few Xers sporting ZDX wheels:

19s

20s

Man, those look pretty sweet. I actually think I found the wheels I've been looking for, but they don't come in the correct lug pattern in the color and size I want. So I'm trying to work with the manufacturer, or even work with a secondary shop to re-drill to a 5x120 lug pattern to fit our cars. I'm hoping to stuff either a 20x10 or at least a 19x9.5 etc....since I really want the wide tire look that you get on cars like the X5.
ChadSpeed (07-27-2013)
Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a thread I just put up on here with my wheels. I have noticed that on this forum and the other MDX forum, there are not many people into modding cars. Seems to be an older demographic..

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/new-shoes-shades-2007-sport-868807/

Oh BTW TS, you seem like a cool dude. we have a lot in common.....MDX, Corvette, and I'm a big MMA fan too
Old 09-24-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by MAC-n-back-of-da-AC
Here is a thread I just put up on here with my wheels. I have noticed that on this forum and the other MDX forum, there are not many people into modding cars. Seems to be an older demographic..

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868807

Oh BTW TS, you seem like a cool dude. we have a lot in common.....MDX, Corvette, and I'm a big MMA fan too
Nice wheels bro, those look pretty damn good! I wanted to go satin black, or comp gray on my silver MDX (To match my C6Z), but then I thought it might take away from it's "luxury" look and make it more like a sport suv. However, after seeing your car with the satin black, I kind of want to go back to that color combo! lol

I actually found a lot more wheel threads and people modding their cars on the other MDX forum, so I think you're right about the demographic on this particular forum.

On a side note, that's pretty sweet that you got a Vette too...and also into MMA.

Check out these wheel options I'm currently looking at and let me know what you think:

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed a ZDX last night at the dealership while picking up my plates that had the chrome 20s and thought those rims would look great...in light charcoal.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not too many. I ended up going with 19" Aspecs a slight upgrade from the 18" oems, wife didn't want "anything too flashy" and its her car. I want to do spacers...does anyone have recommendations on what size or sizes to get???
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Pro

ill be dipping my mdx elite wheels in matte black soon enough, ill post some pics
Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Not too many. I ended up going with 19" Aspecs a slight upgrade from the 18" oems, wife didn't want "anything too flashy" and its her car. I want to do spacers...does anyone have recommendations on what size or sizes to get???
if you're doing the oem 19's and run 275 tires, go with 20mm spacers. however, spacers that comes in m14 studs and 5x120 bolt pattern are not as common.

you will be happy with the result
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S

Why do you want to do spacers? You are taking a wheel that is hub centric and moving it away from that, unless you do a hub centric spacer. Also when you add spacers you are getting less and less thread engagement with the lugs and studs whiche = wheel possibly falling off. If you are trying to get the wheel pushed out from the vehicle for a wider stance, then get a different offset. Also TSW builds wheels, like the Beyern brand that would also look good on an X. We put some Beyern wheels on a 2011 Oddy and it looked pretty smokin.

My .

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Instructor

^^ correct about adding spacers, and risking the chance of the wheel falling off. the rule of the thumb is anything over 5mm you need extended studs, or spacers with built-in studs.

the guys at motorsport tech (http://www.motorsport-tech.com) makes cutomer adapters/spacers. the thinnest they go is 19mm, and they are bore-centric. you just have to specify that you need m15 studs.

i am rolling the so-called 'a-spec' 19's for the winter, and i am using a set myself to clear the bbk. in the summer, i am rolling 20's with a mid-20's offset.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by alcatranz518
Hi,

New to the site. I like the look of the wheels. I'm looking at putting a set on my 2010 MDX. The set I'm looking at is off a 2013 Camaro SS. They are staggered 20 inch wheels. The overall tire diameter is pretty close. So question, did you run a staggered set or did you use the same size wheel all around? Thanks...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seen pics of the gen 3 camaro rim on an MDX, I would recommend the same size all around unless you want to forgo tire rotation.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I got RJ Legend II 20" on my X. He doesn't make those anymore but they are sexy as hell.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting choice of wheels on this thread, guess not much people into modding here
Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 PM
10th Gear

I have also been having issues finding the right looking wheel for my 13', crystal black X. I traded in a albaster silver 08' TL Type S. I loved the wheels on it, but not so much the 18"s on my tech equipped X. I have found some decent 19"s on tirerack, by Breyton. They are similar design to the Type S wheels but all black, with a white strip on the inside behind the spokes that sets them apart. Idk about black on black though, just not sure and hard to find more pics!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not a big fan of spacers but the stock 19" wheel offset is a little too conservative on my 2014. Anyone running 15-20mm spacers on MDX without issues?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sbkim
Not a big fan of spacers but the stock 19" wheel offset is a little too conservative on my 2014. Anyone running 15-20mm spacers on MDX without issues?
I would like to know this too! I asked my dealer today, but they frowned on the spacers!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
2011 MDX Adv/Ent
- 20" RonJon Legacy Type II Custom Graphite face with machine lip
- Continental DWS P255/45ZR-20

2008 RDX Tech
- 18" RonJon Legacy7 Liquid Graphite
- Continental DWS P235/55ZR-18

Name:  MDXfrontright_zpscfa7c3a6.jpg
Views: 8023
Size:  5.19 MB

Name:  MDXrearleftedit_zps10715be0.jpg
Views: 5865
Size:  1.15 MB
Name:  MDXfronttirerightcloseup_zps6039ae52.jpg
Views: 5626
Size:  4.82 MB
Name:  MDXRDXsidenooverlapIV_zps1e4d99d6.jpg
Views: 5525
Size:  4.96 MB
Preach2k (03-10-2015)
Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Instructor

I actually don't mind the stock rims on the advance models. Like most have stated, a lot of the rims just do not look on the MDX. To each his own!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:05 PM
9th Gear

I have a 2014 model MDX. It is a very tricky situation when putting aftermarket wheels on an MDX vehicle. Many look awful and stupid (to be blunt) The way the vehicle is shaped and picking the right wheels (that won't ruin the quality of ride) is hard.
I know on the 2014 models, the top spec is 20 inches. On the 2013 - older models the max spec is 19 inches. Hence, the 2014 models are bigger and sit lower to the ground. DO NOT STAGGER YOUR WHEELS Doing this will make your car seems like its rear wheel drive only and has no use on a All wheel drive vehicle. DO NOT LOWER THE MDX EITHER This will ruin your suspension in no time. Aftermarket wheels will (bigger ones) will wear your breaks out faster and you will loose some MPG. (just common mathematics, more rotation & weight = less mpg)
Do your research when buying wheels for an MDX, what looks good online or in person doesn't mean they will look good on your car. 90% of the aftermarket wheels I have seen on MDX's look horrible and just plain dumb
Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by wokkawokka
I have a 2014 model MDX. It is a very tricky situation when putting aftermarket wheels on an MDX vehicle. Many look awful and stupid (to be blunt) The way the vehicle is shaped and picking the right wheels (that won't ruin the quality of ride) is hard.
I know on the 2014 models, the top spec is 20 inches. On the 2013 - older models the max spec is 19 inches. Hence, the 2014 models are bigger and sit lower to the ground. DO NOT STAGGER YOUR WHEELS Doing this will make your car seems like its rear wheel drive only and has no use on a All wheel drive vehicle. DO NOT LOWER THE MDX EITHER This will ruin your suspension in no time. Aftermarket wheels will (bigger ones) will wear your breaks out faster and you will loose some MPG. (just common mathematics, more rotation & weight = less mpg)
Do your research when buying wheels for an MDX, what looks good online or in person doesn't mean they will look good on your car. 90% of the aftermarket wheels I have seen on MDX's look horrible and just plain dumb
What you are saying applies to most vehicles on the road. I don't think that people care about MPG consequences after cosmetic modifications, you just want your car to "look good".
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
mrgold35

The MDX is very hard to "fancy up". BMW, MB, Audi, and Porsche all have their conservative models and sporty M series/AMG/S-line/Turbo-S models that look even better with the right rims/tire combo. The +2010 are a little easier to dress up because of the redesigned front/rear bumpers; but, still a very fine line between up a notch to completely over the edge.

There is not much you can do to dress-up the MDX outside of limited OEM or similar accessories, LED upgrades, and aftermarket rims?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
couple of unworthy images of the Inspyre type II and the Legacy type II wheels. The former needs a cleanup and dedicated photoshoot asap, once this snow clears up.

Preach2k (03-10-2015)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM
1st Gear

Here is a good wheel for a stock look in black. Very similar to my stock 2010 MDX wheels.

http://rimsntires.com/wheel.jsp?item...X&carYear=2013
Old 06-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

18x9 35mm et,, 255/55/18
Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Instructor

can't decide if I should go with 20 or 22 in. anyone have an opinion?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by nimhet
can't decide if I should go with 20 or 22 in. anyone have an opinion?
I just noticed the tire selection and rim styles were very limited at the 22 in range compared to 18-20 inch range. The only other concern would be ride quality and/or rim damage from potholes/rough roads. I haven't had any problems with 20 inch size with my X.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do MDX owners NOT like aftermarket wheels??