Deciding between 2010-12 MDX and Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I need to record a video on my Touge track.. Perhaps once I get the rear pads, I will do so in México of course
Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
I need to record a video on my Touge track.. Perhaps once I get the rear pads, I will do so in México of course
Please do! I still appreciate your VTEC engaging Video you posted a while back. Also seen a 0-60 video posted by a member on here and that vtec really SCREAMS at 4k rpms.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 AM

I hear the Vtak at least twice a week since I am kinda in love with Sport Shifting in the X.
Being able to hold first has its perks, Something my TL-S wont do :/
Old 08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I hear the Vtak at least twice a week since I am kinda in love with Sport Shifting in the X.
Being able to hold first has its perks, Something my TL-S wont do :/
Haha OH YEAH!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
So I just traded in a 2014 Highlander for a 2012 MDX Tech, but after reading through here, I'm a little confused on what 'Tech', 'Res' and 'Elite' models are? I believe I have a Tech (no rear heated seats, DVD, backup sensors).
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by s2kstephen
So I just traded in a 2014 Highlander for a 2012 MDX Tech, but after reading through here, I'm a little confused on what 'Tech', 'Res' and 'Elite' models are? I believe I have a Tech (no rear heated seats, DVD, backup sensors).
Tech is technology package, it included the navigation system and els sound system as the main features. Yours has the navigation screen right?

RES is rear seat entertainment. So if you don't have the dvd screen in the roof, then yours does not have RES.

Elite is the top model. It builds on tech package with cooled seats, blind spot detection, 19" wheels, adaptive cruise control with crash mitigation, and milano upgraded leather. It also has a button right under the shifter that says comfort on it, this is for the magnetic dampeners to change ride quality on the fly.

By the way congratulations on the purchase. I think you made the right choice. But isn't the 2014 highlander the new body style?
Old 08-03-2016, 03:13 PM

(EDIT: RDX10 beat me to it)
AFAIK for the 2012:

Base:
Just getting the MDX with SH-AWD goodies, 8 speaker 250watt stereo, Dual Zone climate control.

Tech:
Gets NAV, Tri.-Zone Climate, 410watt stereo with 10 speakers and DVD Audio.

Advance/Elite in Canada:
Gets same as Tech + 19 inch wheels, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind spot, Crash mitigation, Ventilated front seats.

You can also Add to Tech and Advance/Elite models the RES (Rear Entertainment System) that Adds to both Trims:
110v power outlet, Rear heated seats, Rear DVD Screen and Wireless Headphones.

Thats all I can think out of my head right now...

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-03-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

AFAIK for the 2012:

Base:
Just getting the MDX with SH-AWD goodies, 8 speaker 250watt stereo, Dual Zone climate control.

Tech:

Advance/Elite in Canada:
Gets same as Tech + 19 inch wheels, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind spot, Crash mitigation, Ventilated front seats.

You can also Add to Tech and Advance/Elite models the RES (Rear Entertainment System) that Adds to both Trims:

I think in canada tri zone is standard as well as heated rear seats. But thanks for clarifying it some more.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Tech is technology package, it included the navigation system and els sound system as the main features. Yours has the navigation screen right?

RES is rear seat entertainment. So if you don't have the dvd screen in the roof, then yours does not have RES.

Elite is the top model. It builds on tech package with cooled seats, blind spot detection, 19" wheels, adaptive cruise control with crash mitigation, and milano upgraded leather. It also has a button right under the shifter that says comfort on it, this is for the magnetic dampeners to change ride quality on the fly.

By the way congratulations on the purchase. I think you made the right choice. But isn't the 2014 highlander the new body style?
So we got the Tech; no entertainment. Has 18's, heated only seats, etc. No button by the shifter. Based on what I read on here, I'm glad I don't have the magnetic dampers?

We (my wife especially) love the MDX. It was her top choice, and we've spent the last 5 months searching for a 12/13, white, in excellent condition. Paid more than we probably should, but supply vs. demand.

Correct, 2014 is the new bodystyle. I think compared to the previous gen, it's a very poor redesign. Overall it's a minivan in a 'CUV' outfit. Toyota left out any technology updates; piss poor nav location and user ability, sound system is comparable with a Corolla, poor suspension dampening, and I could go on...

Last edited by s2kstephen; 08-04-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Instructor

AFAIK for the 2012:

Base:

Tech:

Advance/Elite in Canada:

Great summary, thank you. We got a Tech.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

So we got the Tech; no entertainment. Has 18's, heated only seats, etc. No button by the shifter. Based on what I read on here, I'm glad I don't have the magnetic dampers?

We (my wife especially) love the MDX. It was her top choice, and we've spent the last 5 months searching for a 12/13, white, in excellent condition. Paid more than we probably should, but supply vs. demand.

Correct, 2014 is the new bodystyle. I think compared to the previous gen, it's a very poor redesign. Overall it's a minivan in a 'CUV' outfit. Toyota left out any technology updates; piss poor nav location and user ability, sound system is comparable with a Corolla, poor suspension dampening, and I could go on...
Yes yours is a tech. No adaptive dampeners don't matter if you drive calmly and don't care about handling too much. At $1000+ per corner, it is best to avoid them.

Why did you not get the 3G instead? They made a ton of improvements in some regards. I also agree, supply and demand is crazy for this car. So common yet so rare.

Interesting, my aunt is looking at buying a new highlander. Anything major I should mention? She said she loves the ride and handling and also very quiet.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Yes yours is a tech. No adaptive dampeners don't matter if you drive calmly and don't care about handling too much. At $1000+ per corner, it is best to avoid them.

Why did you not get the 3G instead? They made a ton of improvements in some regards. I also agree, supply and demand is crazy for this car. So common yet so rare.

Interesting, my aunt is looking at buying a new highlander. Anything major I should mention? She said she loves the ride and handling and also very quiet.
My wife puts maybe 7,500mi a year and it's around town. Now I'm glad we got a Tech and not Elite based on those shock prices. I have a lifted truck with King shocks and they aren't $1k a pop!

We preferred having the end of a model year instead of the first of a new body style. Plus it seemed that there were a lot of 3G for sale, which made me wonder why. Barely any 2G, and reading the board seemed to have much few problems. My main concern on the 3G was the trans. Maybe in a few years we'll grab a 16/17 MDX.

We have the XLE 2WD with leather/sunroof, etc. I can't speak for the Limited/Hybrid, but some of the technology additions are available on the Limited. If she's sold on a Highlander, I would only recommend the Limited. On our XLE, the sound system/NAV sucked. The distance and angle the screen is such that in sunlight you can't see the screen and it's located too far from the driver seat you have to lean forward to adjust anything. Music quality is crap compared to the MDX... i's no better than a $15k car. It was quiet, but still felt like a insulated soda can. Drives like my parents 2003 Sienna minivan. A few pet-peeves we had:

Cons:
Stereo/NAV. We took 1 road trip and ended up using our cell phone. The notifications were last minute and was constantly 'redirecting'.
You have to hold the brake pedal to use the push start.
Remote start has a range of 5'. Unreliable.
Cup holders are stupid. The 'adjustable' feature is garbage.
No HID's anywhere. Headlamps have projectors, but no HID.
3rd row is 'redesigned' to hold 3 people...no way. 3 cats maybe.
I feel there is a 'slop' in the steering under med-firm acceleration. When you take of slow, not so much. But when merging I felt like I was on ice. Big dislike!
Lots of plastic. No leather/woodgrain.
Overpriced. We purchased used, but new, our model was $43k. Toyota is selling a Sienna that looks like an SUV and their main selling point is longevity.

Pro:
The tray that runs across the dash is great for storage. Phone, wallet, etc.
Large center console - holds a large purse.
Middle row seats have tons of leg room and seats recline and adjust forward and backward.
Takes cheap gas
Quite cabin, but doesn't have the 'plushness' the MDX offers.

The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Suzuka Master

My wife puts maybe 7,500mi a year and it's around town. Now I'm glad we got a Tech and not Elite based on those shock prices. I have a lifted truck with King shocks and they aren't $1k a pop!

We preferred having the end of a model year instead of the first of a new body style. Plus it seemed that there were a lot of 3G for sale, which made me wonder why. Barely any 2G, and reading the board seemed to have much few problems. My main concern on the 3G was the trans. Maybe in a few years we'll grab a 16/17 MDX.

We have the XLE 2WD with leather/sunroof, etc. I can't speak for the Limited/Hybrid, but some of the technology additions are available on the Limited. If she's sold on a Highlander, I would only recommend the Limited. On our XLE, the sound system/NAV sucked. The distance and angle the screen is such that in sunlight you can't see the screen and it's located too far from the driver seat you have to lean forward to adjust anything. Music quality is crap compared to the MDX... i's no better than a $15k car. It was quiet, but still felt like a insulated soda can. Drives like my parents 2003 Sienna minivan. A few pet-peeves we had:

Cons:
Stereo/NAV. We took 1 road trip and ended up using our cell phone. The notifications were last minute and was constantly 'redirecting'.
You have to hold the brake pedal to use the push start.
Remote start has a range of 5'. Unreliable.
Cup holders are stupid. The 'adjustable' feature is garbage.
No HID's anywhere. Headlamps have projectors, but no HID.
3rd row is 'redesigned' to hold 3 people...no way. 3 cats maybe.
I feel there is a 'slop' in the steering under med-firm acceleration. When you take of slow, not so much. But when merging I felt like I was on ice. Big dislike!
Lots of plastic. No leather/woodgrain.
Overpriced. We purchased used, but new, our model was $43k. Toyota is selling a Sienna that looks like an SUV and their main selling point is longevity.

Pro:
The tray that runs across the dash is great for storage. Phone, wallet, etc.
Large center console - holds a large purse.
Middle row seats have tons of leg room and seats recline and adjust forward and backward.
Takes cheap gas
Quite cabin, but doesn't have the 'plushness' the MDX offers.
Thank you very much for this well thought out and thorough response. I really appreciate it.

Yeah the shocks are stupid expensive. They should really be $500 MAX. They are currently priced on par with the Germans and IMHO they don't provide enough of a difference to justify the price. I would have only bought the 2010+ elite to get the other options.

I agree, the 3G is not nearly as popular as the 2G was. I also don't feel it has as much of a presence.But there is one thing you have mixed up, the 2010-2015 mdx use the same 6 speed automatic. The 2016+ uses the new and poor 9 speed automatic.

I also told her to strictly get the limited because the xle and under trims have the shitty 6 speaker sound system. The limited at least has the 12 speaker jbl system. It also has the pano roof, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, blind spot, adaptive cruise..etc. But the 7K price hike from xle to limited is kind of steep. But a comparable pilot is 8K more than a limited highlander. I don't think it is worth it.

I am going to show her the list of pros and cons, some of those will really apply to her. But just one con I feel isn't really a con for the highlander, it is that all vehicles with push to start require you to step on the brake to start. Have you found a vehicle that you don't have to? I prefer this personally because it is safer with kids.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
I like push button start because I could keep the key clean by not having to mess with it all of the time, maybe even put it in a little zipper bag to keep it dry and if I drop it (for some weird reason), I can just replace the bag...

I hate using the brake to start it, sometimes I don't want to get in, and perfer to reach over to start the engine, I do this everyday...

I perfer the "twist to start" like Nissan uses...

That way, I don't have to get in and push the brake, or need to fumble with a key...

But you should see how wore out I've seen key gobs get over the years...

The buttons are worn on my RDX keys, and I opt to use the gray "Valet" key over the switchblade key, we fear the switchblade may wear out, and it is bit cumbersome, to say the least...

I really hate it when someone's keys are sticky too...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 08-04-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Keypad, again damnit!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I like push button start because I could keep the key clean by not having to mess with it all of the time, maybe even put it in a little zipper bag to keep it dry and if I drop it (for some weird reason), I can just replace the bag...

I hate using the brake to start it, sometimes I don't want to get in, and perfer to reach over to start the engine, I do this everyday...

I perfer the "twist to start" like Nissan uses...

That way, I don't have to get in and push the brake, or need to fumble with a key...

But you should see how wore out I've seen key gobs get over the years...

The buttons are worn on my RDX keys, and I opt to use the gray "Valet" key over the switchblade key, we fear the switchblade may wear out, and it is bit cumbersome, to say the least...

I really hate it when someone's keys are sticky too...
Haha are your keys sticky? Have you been doing the nasty in the rdx? Lol
Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Null and proud of it

Haha are your keys sticky? Have you been doing the nasty in the rdx? Lol

Haha, no!!!

My keys are clean, maybe even sterile, haha...

It's other people's keys, like those who drink and spill soda on their hands while driving...

I've been in vehicles that have soda residue and cigarette ashes mixed together and splattered on EVERYTHING!!!

Needless to say, it's not pretty...
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Instructor

I agree, the 3G is not nearly as popular as the 2G was. I also don't feel it has as much of a presence.But there is one thing you have mixed up, the 2010-2015 mdx use the same 6 speed automatic. The 2016+ uses the new and poor 9 speed automatic.
Ah, thanks for clarifying!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Thank you very much for this well thought out and thorough response. I really appreciate it.
I also told her to strictly get the limited because the xle and under trims have the shitty 6 speaker sound system. The limited at least has the 12 speaker jbl system. It also has the pano roof, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, blind spot, adaptive cruise..etc. But the 7K price hike from xle to limited is kind of steep. But a comparable pilot is 8K more than a limited highlander. I don't think it is worth it.

I am going to show her the list of pros and cons, some of those will really apply to her. But just one con I feel isn't really a con for the highlander, it is that all vehicles with push to start require you to step on the brake to start. Have you found a vehicle that you don't have to? I prefer this personally because it is safer with kids.
Glad it was helpful!

Check out the Toyota Nation forum and look under the Highlander section. You'll see a lot of posts regarding the same issue's: the sound system, nav, driving 'buzz', and the overpricing of added technology.

We don't have kids, but I HATED having to press the brake pedal. Along with that, every time I parked, turned off the car, and opened the door, it would chime like I left the keys in the car. I'm a damn adult...I don't need the car b*&%ing at me for 'safety' purposes.

We looked at the '16 Pilot because the redesign looks much improved. After a test drive and further review, it seems the Pilot/Highlander are charging outrageous amounts for 'Technology', but what you get is the basic version of that tech. You get nav, but not an advanced nav. You get blind spot/adaptive cruise control, but it's not the at the Euro quality and features. Their cooled seats are less effective than the Kia Sorento! I'm very disappointed in the Jap SUV/CUV are far as getting a bang for your buck. Seem they have learned they can charge a huge premium based on the high praise they've received over the last 10 years, but aren't giving you quality features as advertised. You get leather, but it's Old Navy quality. The Acura dealership we got out '12 from said people were buying up MDX's at lightening spead because Lexus charged a $1200 upgrade for a white color. Absurd.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha, no!!!

My keys are clean, maybe even sterile, haha...

It's other people's keys, like those who drink and spill soda on their hands while driving...

I've been in vehicles that have soda residue and cigarette ashes mixed together and splattered on EVERYTHING!!!

Needless to say, it's not pretty...
I totally get it. It's like those people who spill coffee or soda all over their cup holders and don't bother cleaning. I leave wet wipes inside my car at all times and clean any spills immediately. I also have a no eating rule.

Glad it was helpful!

Check out the Toyota Nation forum and look under the Highlander section. You'll see a lot of posts regarding the same issue's: the sound system, nav, driving 'buzz', and the overpricing of added technology.

We don't have kids, but I HATED having to press the brake pedal. Along with that, every time I parked, turned off the car, and opened the door, it would chime like I left the keys in the car. I'm a damn adult...I don't need the car b*&%ing at me for 'safety' purposes.

We looked at the '16 Pilot because the redesign looks much improved. After a test drive and further review, it seems the Pilot/Highlander are charging outrageous amounts for 'Technology', but what you get is the basic version of that tech. You get nav, but not an advanced nav. You get blind spot/adaptive cruise control, but it's not the at the Euro quality and features. Their cooled seats are less effective than the Kia Sorento! I'm very disappointed in the Jap SUV/CUV are far as getting a bang for your buck. Seem they have learned they can charge a huge premium based on the high praise they've received over the last 10 years, but aren't giving you quality features as advertised. You get leather, but it's Old Navy quality. The Acura dealership we got out '12 from said people were buying up MDX's at lightening spead because Lexus charged a $1200 upgrade for a white color. Absurd.
Driving buzz has me intrigued. I remember the 2006-2008 rav4 had a buzz from the transmission.

Haha sounds like your whole highlander experience was horrible. It must be a huge upgrade moving to the MDX. I tried talking my aunt out of the highlander and into the MDX, but she is pretty much set. I guess now it is convincing her to jump up to the limited.

I agree completely with selling on reputation. IMHO the products are far inferior to the Korean counter parts, but people fiercely defend the Japanese because of past reputation and insult the koreans because of past reputation. The interior of the new sorento is nicer than the 3G mdx IMHO!

$1200 for paint color? The germans don't even charge that!
Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Null and proud of it

I totally get it. It's like those people who spill coffee or soda all over their cup holders and don't bother cleaning. I leave wet wipes inside my car at all times and clean any spills immediately. I also have a no eating rule.
I have so many wipes, cleaners, conditioners, cleaning chemicals in there... I used to have a trunk full a few years ago!!!

I tried the no eating rule, but I travel out of state every couple of weeks and eat on the go...

I do have a no spilling drink rule, no getting fingers greasy rule (I always have some gloves with me for that), and of course, a no messing with the floor mats rule as they're always covered in gravel... Did I mention I hate cats, but I think they learned now!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Driving buzz has me intrigued. I remember the 2006-2008 rav4 had a buzz from the transmission.

Haha sounds like your whole highlander experience was horrible. It must be a huge upgrade moving to the MDX. I tried talking my aunt out of the highlander and into the MDX, but she is pretty much set. I guess now it is convincing her to jump up to the limited.

I agree completely with selling on reputation. IMHO the products are far inferior to the Korean counter parts, but people fiercely defend the Japanese because of past reputation and insult the koreans because of past reputation. The interior of the new sorento is nicer than the 3G mdx IMHO!

$1200 for paint color? The germans don't even charge that!
We didn't experience the driving buzz, but I saw a fair amount of complaints. Overall, owners seemed very disappointed overall in what Toyota provided in the 2014-16 Highlander. Def see if she'll step up to the Limited. Or find a mint 2013 Limited!

It's def a big upgrade! We previously had a 06 Acura RL and that was our favorite sedan to date.

We had connections to get 20% a Hyundai Santa Fe, I just couldn't get over owning a Hyundai, and even a 2016 all spec'ed out was closed to $40k, and I hate taking the depreciation hit. Kia seems to have really stepped their game up. Between the Sorento and their sedans, they are giving Honda/Toyota huge run for their money, but they don't have brand recognition yet.

I think Lexus makes some of the best vehicles out there, but seems they expect you to 'pay to play'. Buy pre-owned, and let someone else take all the hits!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

We didn't experience the driving buzz, but I saw a fair amount of complaints. Overall, owners seemed very disappointed overall in what Toyota provided in the 2014-16 Highlander. Def see if she'll step up to the Limited. Or find a mint 2013 Limited!

It's def a big upgrade! We previously had a 06 Acura RL and that was our favorite sedan to date.

We had connections to get 20% a Hyundai Santa Fe, I just couldn't get over owning a Hyundai, and even a 2016 all spec'ed out was closed to $40k, and I hate taking the depreciation hit. Kia seems to have really stepped their game up. Between the Sorento and their sedans, they are giving Honda/Toyota huge run for their money, but they don't have brand recognition yet.

I think Lexus makes some of the best vehicles out there, but seems they expect you to 'pay to play'. Buy pre-owned, and let someone else take all the hits!
Looks like she is going to be getting a 4runner instead. I personally strongly dislike them. But I think they are a far better choice vs the highlander. Tried pushing her towards a 3g mdx but she has a strong dislike of them. So I guess just going to let her do whatever she wants.

I almost bought an RL; I have always had a soft spot for them but given my climate conditions, I do not want to be in a car during the winter (although fully possible, and done by many).

I understand not wanting to be in a Kia or Hyundai. They still have that stigma. People don't really say as much anymore, but we all still think about it. We have owned 2 santa fe's now. They have been incredibly reliable, and amazing long distance vehicles.

I think Lexus is a tier one luxury brand right now. But I still don't feel as special being in one or driving one. They just don't carry the brand cache of BMW and Audi yet. But steadily getting there. I fully agree on letting someone else take the hit, though resale on the highlander and 4runner are steller.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Null and proud of it

Looks like she is going to be getting a 4runner instead. I personally strongly dislike them. But I think they are a far better choice vs the highlander. Tried pushing her towards a 3g mdx but she has a strong dislike of them. So I guess just going to let her do whatever she wants.

I almost bought an RL; I have always had a soft spot for them but given my climate conditions, I do not want to be in a car during the winter (although fully possible, and done by many).

I understand not wanting to be in a Kia or Hyundai. They still have that stigma. People don't really say as much anymore, but we all still think about it. We have owned 2 santa fe's now. They have been incredibly reliable, and amazing long distance vehicles.

I think Lexus is a tier one luxury brand right now. But I still don't feel as special being in one or driving one. They just don't carry the brand cache of BMW and Audi yet. But steadily getting there. I fully agree on letting someone else take the hit, though resale on the highlander and 4runner are steller.
There's some benefits to a 4Runner...

Rear wheel drive

I actually like the Scion-esueq look of the new ones

Torque-ie 4.0 V6, and they're very fast for what they are, or atleast the 2006 we drive a few years ago...

I hear there's a bit of body roll, and the rear cargo area is a total joke... I also hate the seating position in the 4Runners and Tacomas, the seats are really low, and it's like sitting on the floor.... Honestly, you'll have more thigh support in a Scion FR-S... But other than that, and the plasticy Tonka truck interior, they're really good SUVs...

I will point out, the 2014+ is far better than the 2010-2013 from what I hear, and have seen...

On the other hand, how was the MDX you drove the other day, any luck yet?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Suzuka Master

There's some benefits to a 4Runner...

Rear wheel drive

I actually like the Scion-esueq look of the new ones

Torque-ie 4.0 V6, and they're very fast for what they are, or atleast the 2006 we drive a few years ago...

I hear there's a bit of body roll, and the rear cargo area is a total joke... I also hate the seating position in the 4Runners and Tacomas, the seats are really low, and it's like sitting on the floor.... Honestly, you'll have more thigh support in a Scion FR-S... But other than that, and the plasticy Tonka truck interior, they're really good SUVs...

I will point out, the 2014+ is far better than the 2010-2013 from what I hear, and have seen...

On the other hand, how was the MDX you drove the other day, any luck yet?
In her eyes, it is a toyota and it looks like a truck. Enough said. The interior is pure shit quality, all hard plastic and the door sills are so high it feels like you are stuck in a hole.

Body roll was horrible, I could not ever see myself in a 4runner. At least not a 2010+ model. The only bonus was awesome ride height and a pretty sweet plan.

Now about that MDX....let's just say I am on my second Acura in a row....
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Well, the 4Runner looks better than the Highlander. I can't see myself buying another Toyota (love Lexus) any time soon. Unless it were a Supra, I'm walking away from them.

So you liked your Santa Fe's? We seriously considered them, but still decided not to take the hit of buying new. Even with a big discount off MSRP, we could reach a nice pre-owned MDX/Lexus, etc, so decided to go that route. But good to know in the future if Hyundai continues to improve.

Lexus has focused on the luxury, not so much the sport. Even the old IS300 I had wasn't all that sporty feeling. Had a great look of sport and comfort and along with the RL, a great ride to own! Miss both the RL and IS300. If Audi could step up their reliability to Lexus standard, that would be the perfect Euro brand imo.

True, we got $1k less for our Highlander on trade-in from from we paid for it. That includes us adding 10k in mileage, needing the 50k checkup, and a small scratch we added on the tailgate from our garage door. All I did was drive it and install tires. MDX was all prepped as well with new tires, 40k service, new driveline fluids and brakes, and CPO. Included their 'VIP' package which included free oil changes, rotations, inspections, loaner car, and alignments for 4yr/48k. We're stoked on the new MDX. Already ordered all weather mats, cargo mat, and an appointment for the XPel clear bra.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Null and proud of it

Well, the 4Runner looks better than the Highlander. I can't see myself buying another Toyota (love Lexus) any time soon. Unless it were a Supra, I'm walking away from them.

So you liked your Santa Fe's? We seriously considered them, but still decided not to take the hit of buying new. Even with a big discount off MSRP, we could reach a nice pre-owned MDX/Lexus, etc, so decided to go that route. But good to know in the future if Hyundai continues to improve.

Lexus has focused on the luxury, not so much the sport. Even the old IS300 I had wasn't all that sporty feeling. Had a great look of sport and comfort and along with the RL, a great ride to own! Miss both the RL and IS300. If Audi could step up their reliability to Lexus standard, that would be the perfect Euro brand imo.

True, we got $1k less for our Highlander on trade-in from from we paid for it. That includes us adding 10k in mileage, needing the 50k checkup, and a small scratch we added on the tailgate from our garage door. All I did was drive it and install tires. MDX was all prepped as well with new tires, 40k service, new driveline fluids and brakes, and CPO. Included their 'VIP' package which included free oil changes, rotations, inspections, loaner car, and alignments for 4yr/48k. We're stoked on the new MDX. Already ordered all weather mats, cargo mat, and an appointment for the XPel clear bra.
That's a great deal on trading the Highlander...

My former vehicle (2007 Kia) costed us around $13,500-$14,000 a year old with 3,000 miles, and just over seven years later, when it was involved in an accident and declared a total loss this January/February, we got $8,900, not bad for 7 years and 76,000 miles, that's just over $500 a year in depression, now that's a good return...

I love hearing about deals like that, despite the Highlanders few small issues, it holds a really good residual value, and that was a good deal... 10¢ a mile, not bad at all!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I have never had a soft spot for toyota. In fact I kind of hate them. I even used to hate Honda till I bought my rdx. I still miss it. Now I am on my second Acura in a row. So clearly they are or were doing something right!.

Oh yes, we love our santa fe's. They are very simple and very easy to maintain. They do their intended job without fus and are extremely comfortable to drive and ride in. Planning on selling and moving up to a veracruz limited or newer santa fe. I agree with taking the hit, Hyundai and Kia still depreciate a little too much for my taste.

Lexus is trying to reinvent itself right now. I really don't think they are doing too great of a job. They are alienating their current customers with the design language and not providing enough actual sport to pull people away from bmw and Audi.

I am glad you are enjoying your MDX! I am currently dealing with some minor bumps in my MDX ownership. Hoping to sort it out asap! I drove the MDX on the way home yesterday from the dealer and it drove amazingly. I love the sound of the engine. I wish it had cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and smart key. Then it would have been perfect!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Instructor

That's a great deal on trading the Highlander...

My former vehicle (2007 Kia) costed us around $13,500-$14,000 a year old with 3,000 miles, and just over seven years later, when it was involved in an accident and declared a total loss this January/February, we got $8,900, not bad for 7 years and 76,000 miles, that's just over $500 a year in depression, now that's a good return...

I love hearing about deals like that, despite the Highlanders few small issues, it holds a really good residual value, and that was a good deal... 10¢ a mile, not bad at all!!!
Wow, that's good for a car that's 17 years old. I'm impressed.

It seemed like it to me...so I can't complain. Wish I could have found the same vehicle from an individual so I could have saved a few more $, but there were none to be found within a 6hr drive from us, so had to bite the bullet a little now.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Instructor

I have never had a soft spot for toyota. In fact I kind of hate them. I even used to hate Honda till I bought my rdx. I still miss it. Now I am on my second Acura in a row. So clearly they are or were doing something right!.

Oh yes, we love our santa fe's. They are very simple and very easy to maintain. They do their intended job without fus and are extremely comfortable to drive and ride in. Planning on selling and moving up to a veracruz limited or newer santa fe. I agree with taking the hit, Hyundai and Kia still depreciate a little too much for my taste.

Lexus is trying to reinvent itself right now. I really don't think they are doing too great of a job. They are alienating their current customers with the design language and not providing enough actual sport to pull people away from bmw and Audi.

I am glad you are enjoying your MDX! I am currently dealing with some minor bumps in my MDX ownership. Hoping to sort it out asap! I drove the MDX on the way home yesterday from the dealer and it drove amazingly. I love the sound of the engine. I wish it had cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and smart key. Then it would have been perfect!
Whatever interest I have with any Toyota vehicle is gone. Very unimpressed. I agree, this is our 2nd Acura. Our 2G RL was an awesome car. So much tech packed into a car that was a 05 and still today was out performing new models without all the EPA restrictions crap.

I'll keep that in mind about Hyundai in the future. I think the Kia has the best look to it, but it has that dang Kia badge on it. The Santa Fe Limited looks nice. I don't like how all the new CUV's have so much black/gray plastic on it, although I understand why.

Agreed about Lexus. If they could bring a Supra and a 6cyl turbo sedan they might tap into the same buyers as BMW/Audi has with the M/S line. I'd love a Lexus version of the Cadillac CTS-V
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Whatever interest I have with any Toyota vehicle is gone. Very unimpressed. I agree, this is our 2nd Acura. Our 2G RL was an awesome car. So much tech packed into a car that was a 05 and still today was out performing new models without all the EPA restrictions crap.

I'll keep that in mind about Hyundai in the future. I think the Kia has the best look to it, but it has that dang Kia badge on it. The Santa Fe Limited looks nice. I don't like how all the new CUV's have so much black/gray plastic on it, although I understand why.

Agreed about Lexus. If they could bring a Supra and a 6cyl turbo sedan they might tap into the same buyers as BMW/Audi has with the M/S line. I'd love a Lexus version of the Cadillac CTS-V
Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Null and proud of it

Dang!!!

I just saw a Varacruz the other night, then two and two clicked...

I've noticed them for years, and heard the name, but never ever gave it any thought... That's actually how I found out about the RDX!!!

I was actually going to recommend it to you in a thread if you brought up your search again, but I see you've got the MDX now... But I watched a 0-60 of a Varacruz, that could, and might be just a fast as the RDX!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Dang!!!

I just saw a Varacruz the other night, then two and two clicked...

I've noticed them for years, and heard the name, but never ever gave it any thought... That's actually how I found out about the RDX!!!

I was actually going to recommend it to you in a thread if you brought up your search again, but I see you've got the MDX now... But I watched a 0-60 of a Varacruz, that could, and might be just a fast as the RDX!!!
You now understand why the veracruz was discontinued and the 1G RDX RADICALLY reinvented. They just disappeared in a crowd. I never even knew the rdx existed till I began my hunt February 2014.

The veracruz is a really nice car, good sized 3.8 V6. Smart key, power tilt and telescope steering wheel, pedals, and tail gate. Really good quality materials and leather (arguably better quality than a 2G or 3G mdx). They used the lexus rx as a bench mark and it really shows. But obviously the mdx looks 10X better.

But in the twisties is where it falls flat on its' face. Apparetly it handles good in reviews, but from my limited experience it is too bouncy and soft. The MDX is my personal vehicle and the veracruz will be the family vehicle so I want it to be comfortable and don't need or want it to be sporty. It also has the really good aisin 6 speed auto.

I don't think it has anything on the rdx. The 1G can do the deed in 6.3, Veracruz does it in 7.0. The Veracruz can however give the 2G mdx a run for it's money. A race will have to be in order lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:20 AM
Null and proud of it

You now understand why the veracruz was discontinued and the 1G RDX RADICALLY reinvented. They just disappeared in a crowd. I never even knew the rdx existed till I began my hunt February 2014.

The veracruz is a really nice car, good sized 3.8 V6. Smart key, power tilt and telescope steering wheel, pedals, and tail gate. Really good quality materials and leather (arguably better quality than a 2G or 3G mdx). They used the lexus rx as a bench mark and it really shows. But obviously the mdx looks 10X better.

But in the twisties is where it falls flat on its' face. Apparetly it handles good in reviews, but from my limited experience it is too bouncy and soft. The MDX is my personal vehicle and the veracruz will be the family vehicle so I want it to be comfortable and don't need or want it to be sporty. It also has the really good aisin 6 speed auto.

I don't think it has anything on the rdx. The 1G can do the deed in 6.3, Veracruz does it in 7.0. The Veracruz can however give the 2G mdx a run for it's money. A race will have to be in order lol.
I know... In fact, until six months ago, I only have one (really old and vague) memory of ever seeing an RDX, ever, and I have a good memory...

It was an 07-09 in silver, male driver, and I was riding to the left of him, and for like 5 seconds!!!

The Varacruz looks like the perfect second vehicle, trip vehicle, or just a DD...

The 3.8 Lambda is a gem of its own, really, it's looks like a great comfortable mobile...

With the MDX being slower, is it more fun to drive? I know you still have limited driving experience with it... To me, 7.5-8.0 seconds is the best for accreditation, you can drive it like you stole it, and never be speeding, haha!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I know... In fact, until six months ago, I only have one (really old and vague) memory of ever seeing an RDX, ever, and I have a good memory...

It was an 07-09 in silver, male driver, and I was riding to the left of him, and for like 5 seconds!!!

The Varacruz looks like the perfect second vehicle, trip vehicle, or just a DD...

The 3.8 Lambda is a gem of its own, really, it's looks like a great comfortable mobile...

With the MDX being slower, is it more fun to drive? I know you still have limited driving experience with it... To me, 7.5-8.0 seconds is the best for accreditation, you can drive it like you stole it, and never be speeding, haha!!!
The cruz will likely be a highway vehicle and then a DD for the family. MDX will be mine alone lol. The 3.8 is a good engine, but I like the 3.7 honda engine more!

I really can't comment on the driving experience yet. The fact that SH-AWD always activates so early on and easily means body control was impressive. But because it is so new, it will take a bit of time for me to adjust and therefore can't push it yet.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:17 AM
Null and proud of it

The cruz will likely be a highway vehicle and then a DD for the family. MDX will be mine alone lol. The 3.8 is a good engine, but I like the 3.7 honda engine more!

I really can't comment on the driving experience yet. The fact that SH-AWD always activates so early on and easily means body control was impressive. But because it is so new, it will take a bit of time for me to adjust and therefore can't push it yet.
I know what you mean...

As much as I love the RDX, I can't help but want something with more road presence, but not at the expense of the RDX.... Frankly, one isn't enough for me!!!

You there have a good idea...
Old 08-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Suzuka Master

I know what you mean...

As much as I love the RDX, I can't help but want something with more road presence, but not at the expense of the RDX.... Frankly, one isn't enough for me!!!

You there have a good idea...
I still miss my rdx to this day. My all time favorite vehicle ever, period. But with that being said, I agree. I always felt like it blended in a bit too much and never felt substantial enough.

The MDX on the other hand really grabs attention!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:18 AM
Null and proud of it

I still miss my rdx to this day. My all time favorite vehicle ever, period. But with that being said, I agree. I always felt like it blended in a bit too much and never felt substantial enough.

The MDX on the other hand really grabs attention!
I actually really love the styling of the RDX....

I actually prefer the MMC in some ways, most of you all will hang me for that one!!!

I don't really care about attention, sometimes a reaction is cool...

But by road presence, I mean something that feels BIG!!!

I'm short, maybe 5'5, napoleonic conflict, I guess!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I actually really love the styling of the RDX....

I actually prefer the MMC in some ways, most of you all will hang me for that one!!!

I don't really care about attention, sometimes a reaction is cool...

But by road presence, I mean something that feels BIG!!!

I'm short, maybe 5'5, napoleonic conflict, I guess!!!
Oh ok! Well I am 6' tall and if helps I was also wishing it was a little bigger.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Null and proud of it

Oh ok! Well I am 6' tall and if helps I was also wishing it was a little bigger.
I'm fine in the RDX though... The back is horribly tight though...

I also don't I have a hard time parking straight, it's always a little to the right, thanks to its tear drop shape...

The front is really wide, the backseats are narrower, atleast by 15%...

The truck is only half as wide as the front... I know there's space for the wheel wells and all, but it's narrow...

After driving the Yukon, which is basically a shorter Chevrolet Suburban, I've been hung up on space...

I sat in a Honda Pilot (2003) two weeks before I got the RDX, my thought was "No way, I'm too small for this", kinda wish I went for an MDX sometimes...

The RDX is so smooth and handles so well, it sometimes feels so composed I can't seem to find the limit, and if I hit the limit, I have no warning first, no understeer, no body roll, it's nice, but at the same time I like to know a little before I'm going sideways, or be able to have some fun within the reasonable speed limit...
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Instructor

So, 2 weeks of owning a '12 MDX, I'm seriously considering a '12-'13 ZDX as a daily!

I've really fallen in love with the ride, quality, and styling of the MDX, but to continue to own something unique and rare (always have owned/modified my vehicles to be such), I'm looking to pull the trigger on a ZDX. Just looking for the perfect specimen sold by an individual...no stealerships this time.