Confused on aux with RES on 2007 MDX elite

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Confused on aux with RES on 2007 MDX elite

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2007 mdx elite and it therefore has the RES. I know that without the RES the AUX jack is in the center console and that with the RES there is no AUX jack, instead I have to use the RCA jack in the rear.

Do I plug a normal AUX 3.5mm cable into one of the RCA jacks? Do I buy a Y-connector to AUX to turn the RCA jacks into an AUX jack?

Another thing, I have a button for AUX with all the other radio buttons but when I click it, it shows a small square box on the nav screen with power front displayed with a line through power rear (meaning that there is no power rear, unless I click the power rear button or was it the control rear button which removes that line). This implies that I have an AUX jack in the front and in the rear. What is going on here?

If this is confusing, I can post pictures to help clear it up.

Thanks in advance (pun not intended).

Last edited by RDX10; 08-11-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:22 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
You need to get a Y Adapter otherwise you will have MONO Audio.
That icon means there is no Audio going through the headphones in the rear, There is another button that enables them and remove all Audio from the rear speakers.

Don`t try to use the NAV Manual its a mess.. Just click all buttons and learn what they do.. That`s how I learn WTF was going on hahahaha.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 02:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Skirmich
You need to get a Y Adapter otherwise you will have MONO Audio.
That icon means there is no Audio going through the headphones in the rear, There is another button that enables them and remove all Audio from the rear speakers.

Don`t try to use the NAV Manual its a mess.. Just click all buttons and learn what they do.. That`s how I learn WTF was going on hahahaha.
Thank you so much for your help! A majority of the whole MDX manual is a mess lol. I tried looking for this whole aux situation on there and it said nothing, why did Acura think this was a good idea and not just leave the jack?

I know that pressing one of those buttons poorly affects sound quality. But you know what, listening to it in the garage I have to say it doesn't sound any worse than my RDX as I initially stated. Perhaps with AUX it may even sound better than stereo as is usually my case. The bass is WAY stronger, like WAY WAY stronger. I have it at max (I like some bass sometimes) and am tempted to lower it a little. But with the RDX sound of voices was somewhat clearer though (perhaps tweeters in the doors and not the upper dash?).

Would you suggest a y-aux or a y-iphone adapter? I think less connections equals clearer sound? Also you know what is weird? I tested a 2007/8 (can't remember) elite and it had an ipod hookup cable in the center console with the old school fat connector. I thought that was a 2010+ option.

Last edited by RDX10; 08-11-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The only reason I got the Ent in my MDX was for the heated 2nd row seats and the outlet in the center armrest console was a nice bonus. I get more use from the iPad mini when traveling than the Ent system.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The only reason I got the Ent in my MDX was for the heated 2nd row seats and the outlet in the center armrest console was a nice bonus. I get more use from the iPad mini when traveling than the Ent system.
If it was up to me, I would not have even gotten the RES. I know there is probably a 1% chance I will use it, we get heated rear seats standard in Canada, but I have it because it is standard on the elite.

I like the outlet, but I don't know if I am going to use it ever to be honest.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10
Would you suggest a y-aux or a y-iphone adapter? I think less connections equals clearer sound? Also you know what is weird? I tested a 2007/8 (can't remember) elite and it had an ipod hookup cable in the center console with the old school fat connector. I thought that was a 2010+ option.
The iPod Connection is an Option on the MDX.. If your didn`t have it then its 200 bucks option now, You will have to buy everything involved and its expensive. But once your done you have complete control of the iPod in the NAV Screen and Charging, its pretty neat.
I used Y-AUX for a while but it doesn`t sound too good and also the lack of proper controls put me off.. I tried XM Radio and MAN that thing sounds AMAZING, I have been using it ever since I bought the MDX almost a Year now and the service is worth every peny, Most stations play what I like and I have yet to miss my playlist on demand.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-11-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM

You will need all 3 of these:
2007 Acura MDX TECH (ENTERTAINMENT) UNIT, IPOD ADAPTER - (08A28-1H1-10101) - Acura Parts Online

2007 Acura MDX TECH (ENTERTAINMENT) IPOD HARNESS (1500) - (08A28-1H1-10031) - Acura Parts Online

2007 Acura MDX TECH (ENTERTAINMENT) BUS HARNESS (1500) - (08A28-1H1-10030) - Acura Parts Online

And paying for the installation if you are not willing to disassembly some stuff.
RDX10 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
You can buy a USASPEC or ISIMPLE adapter that will give you more functionality than the acura IPOD adapter, it's cheaper and easier to install. I have one in the TL, MDX and accord and love it. USASPEC is durable but the ones I have still use the oldest 30 pin connector necessitating 3 adapters
RDX10 (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 PM

The USASPEC does not show a compatible unit for +07 with NAV.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

The iPod Connection is an Option on the MDX.. If your didn`t have it then its 200 bucks option now, You will have to buy everything involved and its expensive. But once your done you have complete control of the iPod in the NAV Screen and Charging, its pretty neat.
I used Y-AUX for a while but it doesn`t sound too good and also the lack of proper controls put me off.. I tried XM Radio and MAN that thing sounds AMAZING, I have been using it ever since I bought the MDX almost a Year now and the service is worth every peny, Most stations play what I like and I have yet to miss my playlist on demand.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I am still trying to understand why Acura thought they would remove the aux jack on the top trims? Like why? In my expeirence satellite radio is horrible, but maybe it is not as good here in Canada vs where you live? I think my MDX has XM right now (previous owner must still have some left) so I will give it a try.

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding these parts. I may have to go this route because sound quality is very important to me.

Originally Posted by csmeance
You can buy a USASPEC or ISIMPLE adapter that will give you more functionality than the acura IPOD adapter, it's cheaper and easier to install. I have one in the TL, MDX and accord and love it. USASPEC is durable but the ones I have still use the oldest 30 pin connector necessitating 3 adapters
What year is your MDX and trim? Skirmich says there is no compatible model for the 2007 with nav. If this does work, it sees extrenely easy, only moving the wiring won't be so fun.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 AM

I wonder why Acura decided to remove the AUX 3.5mm plug from the Entertainment Pkg. Perhaps the 115v outlet used its spot instead? I dunno why they could just put a 3.5mm besides the RCA jacks but man Acura is Dumb..

XM here works wonders better than standard FM and a lot better than the RCA AUX In combo, I can spot FM vs XM all day long easily.. XM sounds like HD Audio on my Wife Bimmers.

Remember that using the Y Adapter makes use of the Analog Out of your device (iPod, Smartphone, what-ever) and that is usually some compressed crap after the device DAC. The best quality will be having the OEM iPod Connector for full Digital Sound and let the Stereo do the processing using the DBII DAC but having to buy all that stuff just to play better MP3s is bad .. If you have FLAC Files or Apple Lossless is still bad considering the Sound System will not reproduce it faithfully.

I Found the USASPEC model that fits 07 with NAV... https://www.usaspec.com/p-314-bt45-acu.aspx
(EDIT: NEVERMIND)

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-12-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:43 AM

249bucks vs 170bucks OEM...
Man I will never have iPod Integration hahahaha
Old 08-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I wonder why Acura decided to remove the AUX 3.5mm plug from the Entertainment Pkg. Perhaps the 115v outlet used its spot instead? I dunno why they could just put a 3.5mm besides the RCA jacks but man Acura is Dumb..

XM here works wonders better than standard FM and a lot better than the RCA AUX In combo, I can spot FM vs XM all day long easily.. XM sounds like HD Audio on my Wife Bimmers.

Remember that using the Y Adapter makes use of the Analog Out of your device (iPod, Smartphone, what-ever) and that is usually some compressed crap after the device DAC. The best quality will be having the OEM iPod Connector for full Digital Sound and let the Stereo do the processing using the DBII DAC but having to buy all that stuff just to play better MP3s is bad .. If you have FLAC Files or Apple Lossless is still bad considering the Sound System will not reproduce it faithfully.

I Found the USASPEC model that fits 07 with NAV... https://www.usaspec.com/p-314-bt45-acu.aspx
(EDIT: NEVERMIND)
Because clearly Acura is run by a bunch of dumb ass clowns. Look at their current selection of cars (no offence intended to anyone here).

XM is extremely flat here. Takes everything out of all the highs and lows. It is like listening to radio through a tin can speaker.

I was hoping the Y-Adapter would be at least equal to a normal AUX in sound quality. Retrofitiing the oem adapter or the aftermarket one is going to be a huge headache I think. Looks like it requires some largish dissasembly of the center stack (or at least 1000% more than I wanted to do). But sound quality is very very important to me so might bite the bullet.

249bucks vs 170bucks OEM...
Man I will never have iPod Integration hahahaha
Haha I totally get you. Like mentioned above, the money isn't the reason it might not happen, but the assembly is. I don't want to either break something or cause a bunch of disassembly related creaks and rattles.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

The bluetooth one is only for bluetooth streaming:

for the MDX::
USASPEC PA15-ACUxl $129.99
OR

ISIMPLE CarConnect Hands Free Connected Car Kit for Honda and Acura Vehicles (175)
Old 08-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

The bluetooth one is only for bluetooth streaming:

for the MDX::
USASPEC PA15-ACUxl $129.99
OR

ISIMPLE CarConnect Hands Free Connected Car Kit for Honda and Acura Vehicles (175)
I seen a video last night of a guy installing this device. He simply connected it to the XM radio cable unit thing in the hatch. Is it that simple? No removing of the dash required?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I seen a video last night of a guy installing this device. He simply connected it to the XM radio cable unit thing in the hatch. Is it that simple? No removing of the dash required?
I can't seem to find the correct usa-spec model. It only shows for 2005-2006.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:47 PM

USASPEC does not even offer that as a useable model for the NAV MDX?

RDX10.
Removing the Stereo isn`t really hard just gotta pop the wood trim pieces from the sides with a flat screwdriver and everything else is easy..
Use my DIY for cleaning the A/C Screen, There is a video on how to pull the stereo unit: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...screen-944305/
RDX10 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

USASPEC does not even offer that as a useable model for the NAV MDX?

RDX10.
Removing the Stereo isn`t really hard just gotta pop the wood trim pieces from the sides with a flat screwdriver and everything else is easy..
Use my DIY for cleaning the A/C Screen, There is a video on how to pull the stereo unit: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...screen-944305/
The youtube video I seen yesterday showed some guy installing the USA Spec unit into an 08 MDX with navigation. He made it look super easy because it required no touching of any parts in the front.

By the way. I love your DIY's. Thank you so much for all your helpful posts man. They mean a lot and are very helpful. If it really comes down to it, I will dissaemble the dash because I really care about the sound quality. It is very important to me.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanks Man!
The part about installing it in the XM Unit in the rear looks super easy, but the cost is an issue.. The USASPEC unit that is in the video is the same as CSMEANCE posted? the cheaper one?
Old 08-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks Man!
The part about installing it in the XM Unit in the rear looks super easy, but the cost is an issue.. The USASPEC unit that is in the video is the same as CSMEANCE posted? the cheaper one?
No, THANK YOU!! You have been extremely helpful and an enjoyable conversationalist lol.

Did you see the Video, I can post it. I just searched usa spec mdx install. The video was 7 minutes long and literally looks like it can be done that fast (plus routing to the front of course which was not done in the video).

I don't know if it is the same model as csmeance posted. When I searched the device code he posted, it took me to the page with the device and literally zero info except that "more parts required". So I am very confused right now.

The cost is more than I would like (especially since it would have been nice if fricken Acura didn't think TAKING OUT features on the top trims was a good idea) but since the install looked relatively easy (assuming I can even find the fricken parts!) and it is important to me, I may just bite the bullet. I might even just try the Y-cable first and see if it works enough for now while I shake my head in dismay at Acura.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 PM

Ohh and BTW I thought about that FLAT Sound you mentioned while on XM but being in Canada vs USA or like me that right now I am in México does not make a difference, We are using the same Satellites.. Did you enable Dolby Pro Logic II (DPII) on the XM Audio Setup? Remember that each Input has its own Audio Settings so if you setup FM to your liking you also have to setup CD, AM, DVD Audio and Etc. Perhaps XM has the default settings and without DPII it might sound tin flat.

Right now I have
Bass in Neutral (More than Enough Bass in the Speakers)
Fader in Neutral
Balance in Neutral
Treble +3 (Even with the Tweeters I like a little bit more of clarity)
Central in Neutral
Subwoofer +3 (Mainly for BPM1, Electronic Music to give it dat Extra Punch)
DB II = ON
SVC = Maximum

AFAIK Dolby Pro Logic II can only be enabled on XM, CD, DVD Audio, I cant remember if AUX too? and it does make a giant difference using the far rear speakers for Surround.. In fact I can SWEAR the back seats have better sound than the front seats just because of DPII.
And it sounds pretty neat.

Another tip is to keep the 3rd Row UP if you want more Subwoofer Action, The Sub AMP is a little bit underpowered so by using the 3rd Row to create a tighter space you give a little extra bump.. Try it! you might be surprised how different the Sub reacts to 3rd Row Up vs Down.

Last edited by Skirmich; 08-14-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Ohh and BTW I thought about that FLAT Sound you mentioned while on XM but being in Canada vs USA or like me that right now I am in México does not make a difference, We are using the same Satellites.. Did you enable Dolby Pro Logic II (DPII) on the XM Audio Setup? Remember that each Input has its own Audio Settings so if you setup FM to your liking you also have to setup CD, AM, DVD Audio and Etc. Perhaps XM has the default settings and without DPII it might sound tin flat.

Right now I have
Bass in Neutral (More than Enough Bass in the Speakers)
Fader in Neutral
Balance in Neutral
Treble +3 (Even with the Tweeters I like a little bit more of clarity)
Central in Neutral
Subwoofer +3 (Mainly for BPM1, Electronic Music to give it dat Extra Punch)
DB II = ON
SVC = Maximum

AFAIK Dolby Pro Logic II can only be enabled on XM, CD, DVD Audio, I cant remember if AUX too? and it does make a giant difference using the far rear speakers for Surround.. In fact I can SWEAR the back seats have better sound than the front seats just because of DPII.
And it sounds pretty neat.

Another tip is to keep the 3rd Row UP if you want more Subwoofer Action, The Sub AMP is a little bit underpowered so by using the 3rd Row to create a tighter space you give a little extra bump.. Try it! you might be surprised how different the Sub reacts to 3rd Row Up vs Down.
Yeah actually you are right. I have not tried XM on the MDX yet, but from past experiences is what I meant. Maybe it was the cars and not the media source. I will try it in the MDX and report back. But I like being able to play my own songs when I want vs not having the choice.

DPII does also work on AUX. It just will not work on FM. I had it on in my RDX and I remember there was a HUGE difference between on and off, the rear speakers coming in was awesome and really cool.

Having the rear seats up is something I have not tried yet but will absolutely try. The sub is slightly under powered and like you said, the MDX is cavernous in the hatch so it is expected.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

I can't seem to find the correct usa-spec model. It only shows for 2005-2006.
Is no one reading what I'm posting? Few posts above yours:

USA SPEC PA15ACUXL:

Here's the manual with the 07-09 MDX listed
http://www.neocaraudio.com/pdf/PA15ACUxl.pdf

It comes with the Y harness and everything, plugs into the rear passenger corner of the car where the XM unit is located.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Is no one reading what I'm posting? Few posts above yours:

USA SPEC PA15ACUXL:

Here's the manual with the 07-09 MDX listed
http://www.neocaraudio.com/pdf/PA15ACUxl.pdf

It comes with the Y harness and everything, plugs into the rear passenger corner of the car where the XM unit is located.
I'm sorry man. It was just really hard to understand what you were saying and then I did search that model number and it took me to a page on the usa spec website that had like zero information.

But thanks for the clarification. So the one you installed was the same as the one in the Video I seen. ULTRA easy install. Definitely going to be doing it!

Thanks for sharing
Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah actually you are right. I have not tried XM on the MDX yet, but from past experiences is what I meant. Maybe it was the cars and not the media source. I will try it in the MDX and report back. But I like being able to play my own songs when I want vs not having the choice.

DPII does also work on AUX. It just will not work on FM. I had it on in my RDX and I remember there was a HUGE difference between on and off, the rear speakers coming in was awesome and really cool.

Having the rear seats up is something I have not tried yet but will absolutely try. The sub is slightly under powered and like you said, the MDX is cavernous in the hatch so it is expected.
I bought a 2007 MDX with tech package about 3 months ago. I took it in to have my sub and amp professionally installed and had them throw in a bluetooth adapter to stream music from my phone. It does this through the XM button. Everything has been great until a couple of weeks ago when certain buttons on the stereo started intermittently not working. The XM button is the main one affected. I've seen several threads with similar issues. So far my experience is the XM route will likely have issues in the future too. Acura really failed on this. With all of the issues their stock stuff seems to have they should at least offer dash kits so aftermarket is an option. The shop said it was a minimum of $800 to make a custom dash if I want to go the aftermarket route. Ugh.