Check charging system flashing - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Check charging system flashing

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Check charging system flashing

Good afternoon all,

So unfortunate turn of events this weekend. MDX died on the Mrs while we were on out of town. I ended up getting a new battery and a new alternator from AutoZone that was remanufactured (only one available) to get back home.

Spent the next 6 hours installing it with my dad and it was a PITA. All seemed well until this morning. As I started driving, the check charging system light would flash during braking. I went back to Autozone to return the core and test out the system. Both battery and alternator tested good/pass. With that, I was able to make the 3 hour drive home, but still have this check charging system light flashing.

Any tips?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Thanked 5,718 Times in 4,584 Posts
Originally Posted by nats007 View Post
Good afternoon all,

So unfortunate turn of events this weekend. MDX died on the Mrs while we were on out of town. I ended up getting a new battery and a new alternator from AutoZone that was remanufactured (only one available) to get back home.

Spent the next 6 hours installing it with my dad and it was a PITA. All seemed well until this morning. As I started driving, the check charging system light would flash during braking. I went back to Autozone to return the core and test out the system. Both battery and alternator tested good/pass. With that, I was able to make the 3 hour drive home, but still have this check charging system light flashing.

Any tips?

Bad tension on belt
Old 02-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post

Bad tension on belt
I read the belt tension could be an issue. The belt Im running only has about 6k om it (changed with last service). It was very tight to get off and on, so I don't think it's tension. I ended up checking all fuses and they seem to be ok. Just completed an oil change and reset the Maintenance minder, so we'll see if there were any improvements.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

So, I cleared all codes yesterday and thought all is well. Left work this evening and the check charging system was flashing again intermittently. I called my Indy mechanic and explained the issue and he bet it's the refurbished AutoZone alternator. Bringing it in tomorrow to test and then swap for a Denso/OEM equivalent alternator.