Can anyone help me with Ignition Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone help me with Ignition Immobilizer

2008 MDX. Today for the first time, I tried to put my baby in gear and the gear shift lever would not budge out of Park.

I had used my remote car starter to start her and that key seems to be tied to Driver 2. But after I used the remote car starter to stop the engine and unlock the doors, I used the other key which is tied to Driver 1 to start the car. She started up just fine. But, the gear shift lever would not budge out of Park. The problem was easily resolved when I removed the key tied to Driver 1 and restarted the car with the key tied to Driver 2.

I'm asking for help because I read the User Manual section on "Ignition Immobilizer" and I do not understand what is causing this problem and how to avoid it. My User Manual just says that if the ignition does not recognize the key it will not allow the car to start. But that is not what happened to me. It allowed the car to start. It would just not allow me to move the gear shift lever out of Park.
Does anyone know if there is another section in the manual that describes this behavior or perhaps another name for this behavior?

Needless to say, this seriously scared me for a second before I tried using my other key. I can only imagine what would have happened had I given the other key to my wife and left her with the car. Presumably, she would have been unable to move the gear shift lever out of park. I must not be understanding something. Can anyone help me with this?

I am not looking forward to explaining this behavior to my wife if I cannot describe this behavior to her and how she should deal with it.

Last edited by AliShibaz; 02-23-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:08 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to close this thread. I found several answers using the following link. Unfortunately, I don't know how to close a thread here.

https://www.google.com/search?client...39.44gSV21o29U