Auto Tilt not always remembering last setting

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto Tilt not always remembering last setting

I have a 2008 MDX Tech-Ent. All of a sudden this week I noticed that the auto-tilt is not auto tilting everytime I start the car. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Happens for both driver 1 and 2 keys. It just stays fully retracted where it goes when you turn the car off. However, if I press the Driver 1 or 2 button on the door the wheel will come back into position.

Anyone see this before? It seems to be recognizing the Driver just fine with the fob. It displays "Welcome Driver 1", etc. on the display. Also, the seat goes into position normally.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
when the key is inserted into the ignition the wheel should move right? ask the dealer if it doesn't sort it self out
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
when the key is inserted into the ignition the wheel should move right? ask the dealer if it doesn't sort it self out
it moves when the key is inserted. If it does not move press the memory button to see if it does. My guess is a bad memory unit. If you go to courtsey acura, ask for service adviser justin or angela, and for either shawn or skip to work on the car.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by csmeance
it moves when the key is inserted. If it does not move press the memory button to see if it does. My guess is a bad memory unit. If you go to courtsey acura, ask for service adviser justin or angela, and for either shawn or skip to work on the car.
It does not always move when I insert it into the ignition. The seats move, and the driver is recognized as driver 1 or 2. However, the wheel just sits there. If I manually press the memory button on the driver door, the wheel drops into position. That last fact was not what I expected to happen and makes it confusing to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
It does not always move when I insert it into the ignition. The seats move, and the driver is recognized as driver 1 or 2. However, the wheel just sits there. If I manually press the memory button on the driver door, the wheel drops into position. That last fact was not what I expected to happen and makes it confusing to me.
we have seen a few of the drivers seat memory position control units fail. also has the car been in any type of accidents ?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Go Big Blue!

No accidents. 12k miles on the odo.

It's not the seat in my case, but maybe it's a similar problem. I guess I'll just report it at teh next oil change and see if they can find an issue.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

dtapia:

Have you run into the following issue:

driver A uses key #1 to start and drive the car.
driver A leaves the car running and let's driver B drive.
driver B presses #2 on the side panel to load settings for profile #2. seat positions for profile #2 do not fully load and the button has to be pressed multiple times to fully load the seat functions (each time it's pressed, the seat moves incrementally)

Does that sound like a driver seat memory position module failure? The dealer has no clue how to fix it.

Hope my description makes sense but this problem is getting really annoying.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Go Big Blue!

I just tried your sequence and it seems I'm having the same problem as you. I didn't try repeatedly pressing the driver# button until now. But when I do, the steering wheel comes down and the seat starts to move but stops short of full position change. It moves incrementally if I keep pressing a couple more times. I'll have it checked out at my next oil change and report what they end up replacing.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Well good to know this wasn't just me - just a heads-up that the dealer ended up replacing the side mirror (driver side) thinking it was some electrical problem there. Needless to say, it didn't fix the problem - so if they try doing that, tell them not to waste their time.

Definately keep us posted!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Go Big Blue!

Update; brought the car in to have them check out the issue. They said the trouble codes showed the mirror actuator was malfunctioning and causing the program to stop. They will order two new mirror actuators and replace them when I bring the car in for regular service next month.

I think the diagnosis is correct. I tried it with the mirror being the same and different from driver 1 and 2. If I don't change the mirror settings between driver 1 and 2, then the adjustments complete as expected. If the mirror settings are different. The adjustment stops before completing and I have to hit the driver 1/2 button on the door to complete the sequence.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

forum dredge

I see this is an old thread. Has anyone since had a similar issue? I recently joined the acura club and bought a 2008 mdx base. I'm having issues with the steering wheel intermitantly not adusting back to it's set postion when inserting the key. There is only one driver so switching driver settings is not the problem. In addition i've noticed that it is loosing it's memory on the setting's buttons when this problem happens.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service bulletin B09-047 addresses this issue. I'm having a hard time getting a valid link to it. PM me and I can e-mail it to you if you'd like...

Door Mirror Does Not Work Properly

(Supersedes 09-047, dated December 1, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars)

REVISION SUMMARY

Under REPAIR PROCEDURE, the illustration in step 2
was changed to make the procedure clearer.

SYMPTOM

Either or both of the door mirrors have one or more of
these symptoms:
• After shifting out of R, the power mirror does not
return to its normal position.

• When shifting into R, or adjusting the mirror with its
adjusting switch, the mirror chatters or pulses.

• The DPMS doesn’t recall one or both of the mirror
memory positions.

• The DPMS moves the driver’s seat 1 inch, then
stops.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Faulty door mirror actuator.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the door mirror actuator(s).

PARTS INFORMATION

Door Mirror Actuator: P/N 76210-STX-H02

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

The normal warranty applies.

OP#

Replace left side door mirror actuator.

Replace right side door mirror actuator.

Flat Rate Time:

Failed Part:

Description

Defect Code:

Symptom Code:

Skill Level:

0.2 hour

P/N 76210-STX-H02 (MDX)
P/N 76215-SEP-A01 (TL, Left)
P/N 76210-SEP-A01 (TL, Right)

Repair Technician