Acura to Offer MDX in diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Acura to Offer MDX in diesel?

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/story/95997/

Originally Posted by Financial Express
Honda Motor Co, which released its first diesel engine two years ago, plans to introduce diesel versions of its Odyssey minivan and Acura MDX sport-utility vehicle in the US by 2009 as demand rises for fuel-efficient vehicles. Honda is developing a four-cylinder diesel engine which will meet emission standards set by the US Environmental Protection Agency. The carmaker also plans to sell vehicles with the diesel engine in Japan by 2009, said president Takeo Fukui in an interview on Tuesday.

Honda, one of the first automakers to produce gasoline-electric hybrids and fuel cell vehicles, had been working on altering diesel engines it sells in Europe to meet US environmental regulations. The new diesel engine will be cleaner than those offered by General Motors Corp, Ford Motor Co and Daimler Chrysler AG’s Chrysler unit.

‘‘We think Honda’s light trucks, such as the Odyssey and the MDX, will be more fuel efficient with diesels,’’ Mr Fukui said adding, “We don’t have any plans to put hybrid systems in light trucks, such as the Odyssey and MDX in the US.’’ Mr Fukui said the four-cylinder engine can be installed in vehicles by 2009.

Bloomberg Diesel engines will use less fuel than hybrid systems for light trucks driven longer distances, Fukui said. Honda is developing a V6 diesel engine, mainly for the US market. If diesel engines in light trucks prove popular, the company may also use them in cars.
US automakers sell trucks that run on diesel, which emits less carbon dioxide than gasoline. Particulate matter or soot produced by engines running on high-sulfur diesel aggravates asthma and other breathing problems and creates more smog, according to the EPA.
Nissan Motor Co, Japan’s second-largest carmaker, is also considering diesel vehicles for the US market. The carmaker may put diesel engines in U.S. pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, chief executive officer Carlos Ghosn said in November.

Honda will also introduce a new five-seat gasoline-electric car by 2009, aiming to sell 200,000 units a year, half of them in North America. The U.S. is the world’s biggest market for fuel-saving hybrids, which are powered by a combination of a gasoline engine, batteries and brakes that capture energy from stopping.

‘‘We will use a completely new platform for this vehicle, but if we can sell 200,000 units a year, it will pay off the cost,’’ Fukui said.
The model, to be made in western Japan’s Mie Prefecture, will be cheaper and smaller than the Civic hybrid,...

Interesting.. Looks like the MDX will be getting a diesel V6 engine in the near future. I wonder how it will sell with diesel still being so expensive. Maybe the better MPG will offset the cost?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Isn't the CRV supposed to have a diesel option soon as well?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phins2rt
Isn't the CRV supposed to have a diesel option soon as well?
Yea looks like they are bringing it over in the 2010 model, a 4cyl model that produces 138hp and 250tq.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Racer

The article mentions both a 4 and a 6 cylinder. Hopefully they won't put a four in the Odyssey or MDX!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by phins2rt
The article mentions both a 4 and a 6 cylinder. Hopefully they won't put a four in the Odyssey or MDX!
I doubt they will. I think a v6 is slated for both.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Racer

That would work! It will be interesting to see how the US public reacts!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, it says they have no plans for a hybrid. I thought that was the direction everyone was going in?

And diesel being cleaner than gas, idk. I don't know much on the subject other then everytime I'm stuck behind a transit bus that has the "this bus uses clean-air diesel technology" it's usually pouring out black smoke that I end up choking on.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
More diesels
Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
More diesels
I wonder how well it will fly in Honda's line up.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow Hybrids

Originally Posted by intensity2x
Hmm, it says they have no plans for a hybrid. I thought that was the direction everyone was going in?
Are you really surprised that Acura is going down its own path instead of following the industry norm? *lol*

Seriously tho: they have stated many times that their IMA system works best w/ smaller vehicles & that diesels will be for their larger. However, I posted this article that suggests that their new hybrid system might work in the MDX. Car blogs have dropped hints of a RDX hybrid lately.

Honda being Honda, I am not sure if they will offer 3 different engine choices {regular, hybrid & diesel} but who knows what their push to be Tier I will entail. Some have suggested that hybrids, w/ their green image, will be for Honda & diesels, w/ their high torque #s that are performance friendly, will be for Acura.

On a Side Note: Hooray for their being a NSX & MDX forum now.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TSX69
Are you really surprised that Acura is going down its own path instead of following the industry norm? *lol*

Seriously tho: they have stated many times that their IMA system works best w/ smaller vehicles & that diesels will be for their larger. However, I posted this article that suggests that their new hybrid system might work in the MDX. Car blogs have dropped hints of a RDX hybrid lately.

Honda being Honda, I am not sure if they will offer 3 different engine choices {regular, hybrid & diesel} but who knows what their push to be Tier I will entail. Some have suggested that hybrids, w/ their green image, will be for Honda & diesels, w/ their high torque #s that are performance friendly, will be for Acura.

On a Side Note: Hooray for their being a NSX & MDX forum now.

Might not just be for Acura, but Honda's larger vehicle line up altogether.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,814 Likes on 3,732 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/story/95997/

Interesting.. Looks like the MDX will be getting a diesel V6 engine in the near future. I wonder how it will sell with diesel still being so expensive. Maybe the better MPG will offset the cost?
Did I miss it in the Article? Does Honda give estimated MPG numbers for their diesel vehicles?

Also - I thought I read something about Honda bringing a diesel Accord to the party. Anyone know?