3.7 Oil Consumption? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

3.7 Oil Consumption?

Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

3.7 Oil Consumption?

Hey guys, so we picked up a 2010 last summer. I wasn't aware of the consumption issues before hand... but I'm also not too worried about it. Our last TL used oil for some reason also. I have used Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer with good results. On our last TL it cut down the consumption a lot. I just changed the oil for second time on our MDX and it was still at the full mark. Currently has 183k miles on it! Just thought I'd share I think the Lucas oil works great. I use one qt of that and the rest Mobile 1 Synthetic.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM

They sent us a warranty extension for our 2011 Mdx and the 3.7 motor oil consumption. Regardless of mileage any Mdx will be extended til fall 2019. Catch is you have to fail an oil consumption test performed by an Acura dealer(crooks, at least around here).
Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I just got one of the letters for ours last week but there was a mileage limit or date that we had already surpassed...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 PM

It says any affected vehicle will be covered until sept 1 2019 regardless of time in service of mileage. Hopefully this can help if you are losing oil.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

Originally Posted by the Grinch View Post

It says any affected vehicle will be covered until sept 1 2019 regardless of time in service of mileage. Hopefully this can help if you are losing oil.
My local dealer said they would only do the test "...if the oil light was periodically coming on, indication excessive oil consumption"
Old 03-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by djtsmith007 View Post
My local dealer said they would only do the test "...if the oil light was periodically coming on, indication excessive oil consumption"
you should contact Acura and see if your vin comes up as affected model. Itís completely asinine for the dealer to say that. Itís pretty close to major engine damage if the light comes on, so why would anyone allow that to happen knowing itís burning? Acura gave me a case number and if dealership fails they said I would be able to dispute the dealer. They know there is a problem and are doing this to avoid recall of motor. Good luck to us all
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
ElectroMechanicalEngineer

you should contact Acura and see if your vin comes up as affected model. Itís completely asinine for the dealer to say that. Itís pretty close to major engine damage if the light comes on, so why would anyone allow that to happen knowing itís burning? Acura gave me a case number and if dealership fails they said I would be able to dispute the dealer. They know there is a problem and are doing this to avoid recall of motor. Good luck to us all
Called Acura relations, said take it in when i can. Dont wait for oil light (i've never done that and always watch it). Also oil change is free, they said new guidance was sent back out and dealers will not be charging for the oil change. Going on the 22nd for the change and 1,000 mile test
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

There is a healthy size thread over on the TL forum about this problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-generation-tl-2009-2014-123/acuras-response-excessive-oil-consumption-939258/

Also, watch the dealers like a hawk. At my initial oil change to start the test (which I had to pay for) they overfilled my oil by close to 1 qt. It was way over. I mentioned this and they noted it. But they measured 1 1/2 qt loss at my first reading so I didn't fight them.
2nd oil reading, they said that the dipstick was at the halfway mark (it was actually below low) and that I only burned 1/2 qt. They were way off. I know my vehicle burns about 1 1/2 per 1K. When I went to check the vehicle before leaving, the oil level was at low mark (so they added 1/2 qt just to get it to low). So the service advisor added an extra qt himself and it got to the high level mark. So he updated the ticket to show 1 1/2 qt loss. This is the kind of crap I am dreading as I am about 500 miles into my 3rd test.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dinot View Post
There is a healthy size thread over on the TL forum about this problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939258

Also, watch the dealers like a hawk. At my initial oil change to start the test (which I had to pay for) they overfilled my oil by close to 1 qt. It was way over. I mentioned this and they noted it. But they measured 1 1/2 qt loss at my first reading so I didn't fight them.
2nd oil reading, they said that the dipstick was at the halfway mark (it was actually below low) and that I only burned 1/2 qt. They were way off. I know my vehicle burns about 1 1/2 per 1K. When I went to check the vehicle before leaving, the oil level was at low mark (so they added 1/2 qt just to get it to low). So the service advisor added an extra qt himself and it got to the high level mark. So he updated the ticket to show 1 1/2 qt loss. This is the kind of crap I am dreading as I am about 500 miles into my 3rd test.
I am not looking forward to the dealership. Years ago on my tsx, local dealer had the nerve to tell me all the oil dripping off the bottom of the oil pan was actually the oil from motor mounts. I left before the blood started dripping off the service manager. Why would they have to do multiple checks? If it is burning oil then fix it! Iíve put 20-25 quarts in my car since August, about 25,000 miles. I wish they would just recall motor and save some headache. I donít care if Acura execs lose their third and fourth vacation houses, bunch of bums. Thanks for heads up, I will be watching them like a circling shit hawk.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I am not looking forward to the dealership. Years ago on my tsx, local dealer had the nerve to tell me all the oil dripping off the bottom of the oil pan was actually the oil from motor mounts. I left before the blood started dripping off the service manager. Why would they have to do multiple checks? If it is burning oil then fix it! Iíve put 20-25 quarts in my car since August, about 25,000 miles. I wish they would just recall motor and save some headache. I donít care if Acura execs lose their third and fourth vacation houses, bunch of bums. Thanks for heads up, I will be watching them like a circling shit hawk.
I can't tell you what an unbelievable pain that this test has been for me. I use the MDX as our weekend vacation home hauler. Which is all highway miles. I don't want to drive the MDX on the weekend (during the test) because the car burns less oil when hwy driven. Locally driven, it burns about 1 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. Hwy is about 1qt per 1000. So we don't drive it to the vacation home. It is taking forever to get us to 1000 miles. My wife has her car and doesn't like driving the MDX to work. I drive a LOT of miles and have a company rental. So the MDX just sits and sits. Maybe it will get a few miles here and there to run short trips.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 PM

As part of the oil consumption test there is no oil change anymore. They took that step out. Literally it is just top the oil off to full, check and note down any leaks and tell the customer to come back in 1000 miles.

I can't believe how shitty other dealerships have been about this. I feel like my dealership is handing pistons out like candy. At the moment we have 4 piston jobs that we are waiting for parts to get here and then they are getting done. We have had one tech doing pistons every day he's worked for at least the last few months. As soon as he finishes one, he pulls another in and gets started. No exaggeration at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jjmwilkinson View Post
As part of the oil consumption test there is no oil change anymore. They took that step out. Literally it is just top the oil off to full, check and note down any leaks and tell the customer to come back in 1000 miles.

I can't believe how shitty other dealerships have been about this. I feel like my dealership is handing pistons out like candy. At the moment we have 4 piston jobs that we are waiting for parts to get here and then they are getting done. We have had one tech doing pistons every day he's worked for at least the last few months. As soon as he finishes one, he pulls another in and gets started. No exaggeration at all.

My bad experience with the dealer started at the initial oil change. I perform my own oil changes. I have done this literally my entire life (since I was 16). When I called the dealership to setup the test I brought it in for the oil change. (Was required when I started my test). I had called the dealership and they had quoted me $75 for conventional oil. (This is insane, but I had no choice) So when I went to pick it up, the total came out to $95. I told them that I was quoted $75. The service adviser said that it is $75 but that doesn't include shop fees and some other BS that I can't recall at this moment.

On my way home I noticed that they hadn't reset the MID. I had to do that. When I pulled in to my garage, I also noticed that they had overfilled the oil by a huge amount. It was way above the high level on the dipstick. I'd say it was over by about 1 quart. They tried to cheat me on my 2nd reading as well. (That time I checked the oil at the dealership before leaving)

I wonder if Acura approves me for a replacement if I have to use that dealership (first 2 tests came out to 1 1/2 qt oil loss). These guys are shady.
At my second reading I knew that I was below the low level on the dipstick. But after they "checked" it, they said that it was at the midway mark and they only needed to add 1/2 qt. I was explaining to the service adviser that there is no way that this is true. I know that my car burns 1 1/2 qt per 1000 because I've been adding oil to it for the last year. I had also triple checked the dipstick before bringing it in and it was below low. How on earth did they record it at the halfway mark. But luckily for me when I went to leave with the vehicle I checked right at the dealership and it was at the low level. The service adviser brought out oil and added it himself. It needed 1 qt to get to the high level. So he updated the ticket to read 1 1/2. (1 qt he added and 1/2 qt that was added by the tech).

So as you can see, I don't trust these guys at all. If they can't even do a simple oil change (forgot to reset MID, added 1 qt too much once, underfilled by 1 qt the next time) do I trust them to replace pistons?

Lastly, my other big stress is that I want them to replace the water pump (in addition to the timing belt which is part of the job). I am stressing because I just know that they will tell me some crazy amount. The water pump is cheap and they are going to be right there anyways.