AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   3.7L Oil Consumption? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/3-7l-oil-consumption-977853/)

Max Attitude 03-10-2019 06:57 PM

3.7L Oil Consumption?

Hey guys, so we picked up a 2010 last summer. I wasn't aware of the consumption issues before hand... but I'm also not too worried about it. Our last TL used oil for some reason also. I have used Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer with good results. On our last TL it cut down the consumption a lot. I just changed the oil for second time on our MDX and it was still at the full mark. Currently has 183k miles on it! Just thought I'd share I think the Lucas oil works great. I use one qt of that and the rest Mobile 1 Synthetic.

the Grinch 03-11-2019 08:36 PM

They sent us a warranty extension for our 2011 Mdx and the 3.7 motor oil consumption. Regardless of mileage any Mdx will be extended til fall 2019. Catch is you have to fail an oil consumption test performed by an Acura dealer(crooks, at least around here).

Max Attitude 03-11-2019 09:44 PM

I just got one of the letters for ours last week but there was a mileage limit or date that we had already surpassed...

the Grinch 03-11-2019 09:52 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...791b31d56.jpeg
It says any affected vehicle will be covered until sept 1 2019 regardless of time in service of mileage. Hopefully this can help if you are losing oil.

djtsmith007 03-12-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by the Grinch (Post 16396506)

It says any affected vehicle will be covered until sept 1 2019 regardless of time in service of mileage. Hopefully this can help if you are losing oil.

My local dealer said they would only do the test "...if the oil light was periodically coming on, indication excessive oil consumption"

the Grinch 03-12-2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by djtsmith007 (Post 16397095)
My local dealer said they would only do the test "...if the oil light was periodically coming on, indication excessive oil consumption"

you should contact Acura and see if your vin comes up as affected model. It’s completely asinine for the dealer to say that. It’s pretty close to major engine damage if the light comes on, so why would anyone allow that to happen knowing it’s burning? Acura gave me a case number and if dealership fails they said I would be able to dispute the dealer. They know there is a problem and are doing this to avoid recall of motor. Good luck to us all

djtsmith007 03-14-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by the Grinch (Post 16397110)

you should contact Acura and see if your vin comes up as affected model. It’s completely asinine for the dealer to say that. It’s pretty close to major engine damage if the light comes on, so why would anyone allow that to happen knowing it’s burning? Acura gave me a case number and if dealership fails they said I would be able to dispute the dealer. They know there is a problem and are doing this to avoid recall of motor. Good luck to us all

Called Acura relations, said take it in when i can. Dont wait for oil light (i've never done that and always watch it). Also oil change is free, they said new guidance was sent back out and dealers will not be charging for the oil change. Going on the 22nd for the change and 1,000 mile test

dinot 03-15-2019 07:13 AM

There is a healthy size thread over on the TL forum about this problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/acuras-response-excessive-oil-consumption-939258/

Also, watch the dealers like a hawk. At my initial oil change to start the test (which I had to pay for) they overfilled my oil by close to 1 qt. It was way over. I mentioned this and they noted it. But they measured 1 1/2 qt loss at my first reading so I didn't fight them.
2nd oil reading, they said that the dipstick was at the halfway mark (it was actually below low) and that I only burned 1/2 qt. They were way off. I know my vehicle burns about 1 1/2 per 1K. When I went to check the vehicle before leaving, the oil level was at low mark (so they added 1/2 qt just to get it to low). So the service advisor added an extra qt himself and it got to the high level mark. So he updated the ticket to show 1 1/2 qt loss. This is the kind of crap I am dreading as I am about 500 miles into my 3rd test.

the Grinch 03-15-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dinot (Post 16398408)
There is a healthy size thread over on the TL forum about this problem:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939258

Also, watch the dealers like a hawk. At my initial oil change to start the test (which I had to pay for) they overfilled my oil by close to 1 qt. It was way over. I mentioned this and they noted it. But they measured 1 1/2 qt loss at my first reading so I didn't fight them.
2nd oil reading, they said that the dipstick was at the halfway mark (it was actually below low) and that I only burned 1/2 qt. They were way off. I know my vehicle burns about 1 1/2 per 1K. When I went to check the vehicle before leaving, the oil level was at low mark (so they added 1/2 qt just to get it to low). So the service advisor added an extra qt himself and it got to the high level mark. So he updated the ticket to show 1 1/2 qt loss. This is the kind of crap I am dreading as I am about 500 miles into my 3rd test.

I am not looking forward to the dealership. Years ago on my tsx, local dealer had the nerve to tell me all the oil dripping off the bottom of the oil pan was actually the oil from motor mounts. I left before the blood started dripping off the service manager. Why would they have to do multiple checks? If it is burning oil then fix it! I’ve put 20-25 quarts in my car since August, about 25,000 miles. I wish they would just recall motor and save some headache. I don’t care if Acura execs lose their third and fourth vacation houses, bunch of bums. Thanks for heads up, I will be watching them like a circling shit hawk.

dinot 03-15-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by the Grinch (Post 16398448)

I am not looking forward to the dealership. Years ago on my tsx, local dealer had the nerve to tell me all the oil dripping off the bottom of the oil pan was actually the oil from motor mounts. I left before the blood started dripping off the service manager. Why would they have to do multiple checks? If it is burning oil then fix it! I’ve put 20-25 quarts in my car since August, about 25,000 miles. I wish they would just recall motor and save some headache. I don’t care if Acura execs lose their third and fourth vacation houses, bunch of bums. Thanks for heads up, I will be watching them like a circling shit hawk.

I can't tell you what an unbelievable pain that this test has been for me. I use the MDX as our weekend vacation home hauler. Which is all highway miles. I don't want to drive the MDX on the weekend (during the test) because the car burns less oil when hwy driven. Locally driven, it burns about 1 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. Hwy is about 1qt per 1000. So we don't drive it to the vacation home. It is taking forever to get us to 1000 miles. My wife has her car and doesn't like driving the MDX to work. I drive a LOT of miles and have a company rental. So the MDX just sits and sits. Maybe it will get a few miles here and there to run short trips.

jjmwilkinson 03-16-2019 04:46 PM

As part of the oil consumption test there is no oil change anymore. They took that step out. Literally it is just top the oil off to full, check and note down any leaks and tell the customer to come back in 1000 miles.

I can't believe how shitty other dealerships have been about this. I feel like my dealership is handing pistons out like candy. At the moment we have 4 piston jobs that we are waiting for parts to get here and then they are getting done. We have had one tech doing pistons every day he's worked for at least the last few months. As soon as he finishes one, he pulls another in and gets started. No exaggeration at all.

dinot 03-17-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jjmwilkinson (Post 16399155)
As part of the oil consumption test there is no oil change anymore. They took that step out. Literally it is just top the oil off to full, check and note down any leaks and tell the customer to come back in 1000 miles.

I can't believe how shitty other dealerships have been about this. I feel like my dealership is handing pistons out like candy. At the moment we have 4 piston jobs that we are waiting for parts to get here and then they are getting done. We have had one tech doing pistons every day he's worked for at least the last few months. As soon as he finishes one, he pulls another in and gets started. No exaggeration at all.

My bad experience with the dealer started at the initial oil change. I perform my own oil changes. I have done this literally my entire life (since I was 16). When I called the dealership to setup the test I brought it in for the oil change. (Was required when I started my test). I had called the dealership and they had quoted me $75 for conventional oil. (This is insane, but I had no choice) So when I went to pick it up, the total came out to $95. I told them that I was quoted $75. The service adviser said that it is $75 but that doesn't include shop fees and some other BS that I can't recall at this moment.

On my way home I noticed that they hadn't reset the MID. I had to do that. When I pulled in to my garage, I also noticed that they had overfilled the oil by a huge amount. It was way above the high level on the dipstick. I'd say it was over by about 1 quart. They tried to cheat me on my 2nd reading as well. (That time I checked the oil at the dealership before leaving)

I wonder if Acura approves me for a replacement if I have to use that dealership (first 2 tests came out to 1 1/2 qt oil loss). These guys are shady.
At my second reading I knew that I was below the low level on the dipstick. But after they "checked" it, they said that it was at the midway mark and they only needed to add 1/2 qt. I was explaining to the service adviser that there is no way that this is true. I know that my car burns 1 1/2 qt per 1000 because I've been adding oil to it for the last year. I had also triple checked the dipstick before bringing it in and it was below low. How on earth did they record it at the halfway mark. But luckily for me when I went to leave with the vehicle I checked right at the dealership and it was at the low level. The service adviser brought out oil and added it himself. It needed 1 qt to get to the high level. So he updated the ticket to read 1 1/2. (1 qt he added and 1/2 qt that was added by the tech).

So as you can see, I don't trust these guys at all. If they can't even do a simple oil change (forgot to reset MID, added 1 qt too much once, underfilled by 1 qt the next time) do I trust them to replace pistons?

Lastly, my other big stress is that I want them to replace the water pump (in addition to the timing belt which is part of the job). I am stressing because I just know that they will tell me some crazy amount. The water pump is cheap and they are going to be right there anyways.

nats007 03-24-2019 01:02 PM

Oil consumption test

So, I started the process in Feb 2019. Got the letter and called the dealership. Ops manager explained that they do an oil change and then check the oil levels every 1000 miles. I did an oil change in the beginning of February and brought the receipts to show that I did (this was to not pay for another oil change at the dealership).

At first visit (about 1600 miles since I did the oil change), oil level was still full. I went for my second visit this past Saturday (another 2100 miles since my last visit) and Acura confirmed adding 1 quart of oil. I checked the oil levels before going in just in case the dealership tells me something else.

So far, I think the dealership I'm going to has to show they had to top off the oil level multiple times wirhin an oil change interval. According to the MID, I'm at 60% oil life and put about 4500 miles on it since I started the process. I'll provide an update next month.

globewalkers 03-27-2019 11:50 PM

I've been tracking the burning of oil for years , at least 2 qrts per oil change. I had already started the Oil consumption test with Acura before the Warranty extension letter came out.
I was checking it in morning before bringing to them each time and it was below the bottom line, they would check it and say it was good??
I finally went in with my proof of tracking it and they tested again at 3K and said it was low and got them to approve rebuild motor. Brought it in this morning to get worked on.

Coincidentally it is time for timing belt change as well. Since that needs to be removed to do this job I assumed it would be included. But they quoted me a discounted price of $825 !! (reg $1295)
I think they are Dbl dipping on the labor there.

and then they called and said Oil pump seal is leaking .. not enough to drip but they sent pics of it seeping out... Quoted me discounted price of $500+
Again I think this is Dbl dipping on labor and inflated parts price.

albeit.. they are both cheaper than if I had them done separately ...w/ the rebuild
but not sure they should be charging that much or for the timing belt at all.

simbot 04-01-2019 04:15 PM

Similar story here, I took the MDX in a month ago, the guy wanted to set me up on a 1000 mile consumption test, I told him it wouldn't make it that long, so chagned it to 500 miles. Yesterday I check the oil 1st thing in the morning before starting the engine for the day. The tip of the dipstick has a little oil showing, so it's very low. Today I take it into the dealer after 480 miles of driving, they rep comes out and tells me everything is fine, they don't need to add any oil. WTF??? no way, that can't be right. Do you want to go look at it with the technician? Yes I do. He shows me the dipstick and the oil is nearly full to the top of the hash mark. I tell the guy, "you added oil", "no sir I did not", "yes you did, it was empty yesterday". "Do you want to talk to the manager?" yes I do.

I explain the situation to the service manager, "you guys are trying to scam me, the oil was empty yesterday". "I know how to check oil, the car was cold from sitting overnight, flat ground etc". He goes on to explain that it doesn't make sense, they get paid by Acura for doing the repair job, why would we add oil? We wouldn't get paid for doing the repairs? "I don't know, but I know the oil was empty yesterday".

So I'm going to drive some more and come back again. This time I'm going to take a video of me checking the oil level just before I come in, and I am going to stay with my car from the moment I bring it in, until they check the oil.

RenoTL 04-02-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by simbot (Post 16405939)
Similar story here, I took the MDX in a month ago, the guy wanted to set me up on a 1000 mile consumption test, I told him it wouldn't make it that long, so chagned it to 500 miles. Yesterday I check the oil 1st thing in the morning before starting the engine for the day. The tip of the dipstick has a little oil showing, so it's very low. Today I take it into the dealer after 480 miles of driving, they rep comes out and tells me everything is fine, they don't need to add any oil. WTF??? no way, that can't be right. Do you want to go look at it with the technician? Yes I do. He shows me the dipstick and the oil is nearly full to the top of the hash mark. I tell the guy, "you added oil", "no sir I did not", "yes you did, it was empty yesterday". "Do you want to talk to the manager?" yes I do.

I explain the situation to the service manager, "you guys are trying to scam me, the oil was empty yesterday". "I know how to check oil, the car was cold from sitting overnight, flat ground etc". He goes on to explain that it doesn't make sense, they get paid by Acura for doing the repair job, why would we add oil? We wouldn't get paid for doing the repairs? "I don't know, but I know the oil was empty yesterday".

So I'm going to drive some more and come back again. This time I'm going to take a video of me checking the oil level just before I come in, and I am going to stay with my car from the moment I bring it in, until they check the oil.

What about checking the oil only after the engine is warm? That's the way I was taught. The oil level on a cold engine is going to be lower than when it is warmed up.

MandoTL 04-03-2019 07:11 PM

I seem to be one of the very few that have not faced any issues getting it done. Mine failed the test so after 3 tests, mine was consuming their norm (1qt/1k miles), I got the warranty done free of charge. I was due for my timing belt so they gave me discounts on pricing, but I did more than just the timing belt, did valves, spark plugs and my PS was leaking so that also got replaced.

My scenario:
Since 80k miles I'm at 102k currently. Oil changes were done exclusively at the dealership (my choice), and I kept having my oil fluid low message kept appearing when making left hand turns. I thought it was bad sensor, but they indeed noted that I was low on oil, and one of the oil changes had 2.5 qts missing. Fast forward over 5-6 oil changes to about 98k I was just fed up with the message, and then another message on top of this one the "Check Engine Oil Low" which is different from the MID's Low Engine Oil" one, they recommended I do a test.

The messages began to appear at the 30% oil life then it came sooner to 40-50% which was ridiculous, I started the test in late December 2018, came back in 500 miles. Then 1000 miles after then another 1000 miles after that. Over 2500 miles the test resulted that I was burning oil and losing more than their norm. It so happened by late January/early February Acura had the official extended oil consumption warranty, even though there was a TSB in Canada since last summer and US Acura got it. I got all that work done, I've only put about 500 miles on it since work was done. They kept it for about 3 weeks to allow sufficient time and steps to replace all seals, bore plates and piston rings. I plan to use a different motor oil like Redline or Amsoil and a heavier weight then their 5w-20 since it has higher mileage.

simbot 04-07-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RenoTL (Post 16406521)
What about checking the oil only after the engine is warm? That's the way I was taught. The oil level on a cold engine is going to be lower than when it is warmed up.

Ok, my thought was that the most oil will be in the pan when the car is cold, since it has had plenty of time for all of the oil to drain back into the pan. I understand the expansion effect of hot oil, but didn't think it would make a big difference. So I've done some experiments.

When I check the oil cold, in the morning, car has not been running for >12 hours, the level is very low, it barely registers on the tip of the dipstick. I've done this several times, and get the same reading only the last 1-2mm on the bulb of the dipstick show any oil. Zero oil on the hashed region, well below that, just the very tip. This is after removing, wiping, and reinserting the dipstick several times, on flat ground. I'm in CA it never gets that cold, maybe 55 degrees in the morning.

When I measure the oil after driving for at least 15 mins, let it sit for a few mins, the oil covers nearly all of the hash marks. Waiting another 5 mins, I get the same results, it's nearly full. I checked the level in 5 min increments after driving, and don't see any noticeable drop in the first 20 mins, 4 readings. I've done this twice, different days, and get the same results.

I am amazed at the huge difference in readings. This seems like way too much of a difference due to oil expansion alone, that is what a 2 quart difference? Has anyone else seen such a huge difference? I've read some other threads and people have reported 1/4 - 1/2 qt difference between cold and hot, but 2qts?

RenoTL 04-07-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by simbot (Post 16408344)
Ok, my thought was that the most oil will be in the pan when the car is cold, since it has had plenty of time for all of the oil to drain back into the pan. I understand the expansion effect of hot oil, but didn't think it would make a big difference. So I've done some experiments.

When I check the oil cold, in the morning, car has not been running for >12 hours, the level is very low, it barely registers on the tip of the dipstick. I've done this several times, and get the same reading only the last 1-2mm on the bulb of the dipstick show any oil. Zero oil on the hashed region, well below that, just the very tip. This is after removing, wiping, and reinserting the dipstick several times, on flat ground. I'm in CA it never gets that cold, maybe 55 degrees in the morning.

When I measure the oil after driving for at least 15 mins, let it sit for a few mins, the oil covers nearly all of the hash marks. Waiting another 5 mins, I get the same results, it's nearly full. I checked the level in 5 min increments after driving, and don't see any noticeable drop in the first 20 mins, 4 readings. I've done this twice, different days, and get the same results.

I am amazed at the huge difference in readings. This seems like way too much of a difference due to oil expansion alone, that is what a 2 quart difference? Has anyone else seen such a huge difference? I've read some other threads and people have reported 1/4 - 1/2 qt difference between cold and hot, but 2qts?

This is why "checking the oil" is listed under "Service Station Procedures" in the car manual. Very few people live so close to a Service Station that they can get there without warming up the engine. Checking the oil level is expected to be done after the engine is warm.

nats007 05-03-2019 10:07 AM

3rd visit for oil consumption test

At dealership now for my 3rd visit. Dealership added 1 qt last visit (60% oil on MID) and 1.3 qts (30% on MID) was added just now. I asked what's next, and the rep said she needs to input the data to Acura and get an update on what's next.

She thinks it will get the recall approved, but still unsure. Will keep you guys posted.

nats007 05-07-2019 03:05 PM

Just received confirmation

Received call from dealership that Acura will open up the engine and overhaul. I'll be dropping off the MDX on Friday. One thing that the rep mentioned was any repairs outside of the identified failure in the warranty extension will be on me.

It caught me off guard at first, but it makes sense. I'm now wondering has anyone incurred any additional cost for doing this repair outside of what has been identified as the cause of the oil consumption. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

DBConz 05-16-2019 06:59 PM

Im in the process of getting consumption tests & wondered the same thing.

nats007 05-17-2019 01:11 PM

Rebuild complete

Picked up MDX today. Approximately $5000 repair with no charge to me. Had a minor issue (AC wasn't working and dealership claimed it was pre-existing). Didn't realize, went back and informed then it was working prior to dropping it off. Tech found a loose sensor, plugged it in and we have AC again.

Will report if anything else comes up, but so far so good.

dinot 05-20-2019 02:34 PM

Soooo ticked at Acura over this. This test has been a HUGE inconvenience for me. I am on my last 1000 mile reading. I am at 970 miles. I can't get the car in to the dealer to do the reading. The car has to sit in my garage until I can figure out a way to make this work.
My first 2 readings showed me 1.5 qts low.

Mornings are extremely difficult for me to make it in. I got home from work early today, so I called to see if I can bring it in. Dealer said we can't squeeze you in. Sorry. I said that I can't use this vehicle until I get that reading. It will take all of 1 minute to see it is below low and to add oil. They said sorry, I need to bring it in during the morning. I then asked to make an afternoon appointment. They said "Sorry we don't make appointments for oil consumption readings" WTF!!! I am stuck with a car I can't drive because I can't bring it in. The dealer is not exactly next door so it will be even more difficult to drop it off overnight. I am at my wits end with Acura.

dinot 05-20-2019 07:08 PM

Well I got this straightened out.
My previous rambling post should have mentioned that the dealer was not really helping me.
I called to make sure I could bring it in today. (afternoon).

They said no. That they are too busy. They said afternoons are bad, bring it in during a morning. I told them that mornings are bad for me. Then I said, "ok, let me make an appointment for an afternoon." They said: "we don't make appointments for oil consumption readings." So I was literally stuck. I can't drive the car as it was at 970 miles and it was VERY low on oil. (Turns out it was almost 2 qts low) and the dealer doesn't want me to bring it in during the times that I can make it. So the car was just sitting in my garage basically unusable.

I called Acura customer relations. They called the dealer and they told me to bring it in that very afternoon. This was my 3rd and final reading.
1st: 1.5 qts.
2nd: 1.5 qts.
3rd: 2.0 qts.
They said that they are submitting the paperwork to corporate and they should know in 3-5 days. They said that looking at my consumption numbers, they can't imagine that they won't give the go ahead.

I am not sure if I'll keep this car. I don't trust it. The low oil light never came on. Even at 2qts low. (a few months after I bought it, I was 2.5 qts low....which is how I discovered this problem) I bought this car used and a few months after I bought it, I discovered that the previous owner (digging through the NAV) had received a low oil warning message. The Carfax showed that he brought the car in the very next day to an Acura dealer, but of course it doesn't say anything to that effect. Just shows an oil and filter change. If I was 2.5 low and got no oil light. How friggin low was he to have it trigger? So I have been worried ever since about damage that may have occurred.

P.S.- I know that Carfax is worthless. My cousin who owned a car rental company, would often sell his rentals after about 18 months. On cars that had been in accidents, the Carfax would often come up clean.

csmeance 05-22-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dinot (Post 16428525)
Soooo ticked at Acura over this. This test has been a HUGE inconvenience for me. I am on my last 1000 mile reading. I am at 970 miles. I can't get the car in to the dealer to do the reading. The car has to sit in my garage until I can figure out a way to make this work.
My first 2 readings showed me 1.5 qts low.

Mornings are extremely difficult for me to make it in. I got home from work early today, so I called to see if I can bring it in. Dealer said we can't squeeze you in. Sorry. I said that I can't use this vehicle until I get that reading. It will take all of 1 minute to see it is below low and to add oil. They said sorry, I need to bring it in during the morning. I then asked to make an afternoon appointment. They said "Sorry we don't make appointments for oil consumption readings" WTF!!! I am stuck with a car I can't drive because I can't bring it in. The dealer is not exactly next door so it will be even more difficult to drop it off overnight. I am at my wits end with Acura.

I understand your complaints and i'd be pissed as well. Acura did not handle your case well but you should be glad that they are giving you a brand new engine.

As far as the low oil light, the light only comes on when there is LOW OIL PRESSURE, not LOW OIL. IE you hit something on the road and damage the pan. The car will keep oil pressure as long as it can until it's out of oil and the light comes on, but by then there may be engine damage.

Acura ran these engines low on oil (only 2.5 quarts) during dyno sessions in the 2003-2005 years to get more power out of the engine for sales info so I highly doubt that there is any more damage than already exists. You will be getting new pistons and internals for the most part. I'd honestly pay to get the rest of the 105K service done since you are nearing that mark and the engine will be disassembled.

nats007 05-22-2019 06:42 PM

^ agree with csmeance on this one... I'm positive you will get the recall approved and you will basically have a new engine! At first, it was a hassle, but I worked with my dealer and made sure they knew I was the customer and they didn't push back. Now that you called customer relations, I find it hard for them not to approve the rebuild.

dinot 05-23-2019 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 16429776)
I understand your complaints and i'd be pissed as well. Acura did not handle your case well but you should be glad that they are giving you a brand new engine.

As far as the low oil light, the light only comes on when there is LOW OIL PRESSURE, not LOW OIL. IE you hit something on the road and damage the pan. The car will keep oil pressure as long as it can until it's out of oil and the light comes on, but by then there may be engine damage.

Acura ran these engines low on oil (only 2.5 quarts) during dyno sessions in the 2003-2005 years to get more power out of the engine for sales info so I highly doubt that there is any more damage than already exists. You will be getting new pistons and internals for the most part. I'd honestly pay to get the rest of the 105K service done since you are nearing that mark and the engine will be disassembled.

I am confused on what else is being done. I thought that I read that the timing belt was not being replaced as part of this TSB. I have zero issues paying for a new belt. My issue is that I've been reading in other threads where dealers are charging an arm and a leg to replace the belt. (which is crap since they have to take the belt on/off for this work anyways). I think that I ssaw someone else had paid $700 to do the timing belt service on top of this TSB. I had a local Honda specialty shop quote me $1,000 to do the timing belt service (by itself).
I am also a little concerned about service records. I've only owned this vehicle for about 12,000 miles. I perform my own oil changes. So I won't have any service records. I checked on Amazon and it looks like I show an order of 5w-20 (I have older orders of 5w-20 from before I owned the MDX). I switched to 5w-30 at some point and am concerned they'll give me grief if I show them that purchase. Hopefully they'll acccept my Amazon purchases of a couple of 5Qt jugs of 5w-20. (I also purchased my oil filters through Amazon as well Purolator PL14610)

nick04tl 05-25-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dinot (Post 16429903)
I am confused on what else is being done. I thought that I read that the timing belt was not being replaced as part of this TSB. I have zero issues paying for a new belt. My issue is that I've been reading in other threads where dealers are charging an arm and a leg to replace the belt. (which is crap since they have to take the belt on/off for this work anyways). I think that I ssaw someone else had paid $700 to do the timing belt service on top of this TSB. I had a local Honda specialty shop quote me $1,000 to do the timing belt service (by itself).
I am also a little concerned about service records. I've only owned this vehicle for about 12,000 miles. I perform my own oil changes. So I won't have any service records. I checked on Amazon and it looks like I show an order of 5w-20 (I have older orders of 5w-20 from before I owned the MDX). I switched to 5w-30 at some point and am concerned they'll give me grief if I show them that purchase. Hopefully they'll acccept my Amazon purchases of a couple of 5Qt jugs of 5w-20. (I also purchased my oil filters through Amazon as well Purolator PL14610)

Every dealer is different. At ours if you want a new belt only we would put it on for free. If you want plugs, water pump, oil pump, or maybe cat shields all of that would include labor. The labor cost would be discounted since we have a lot of it apart already. It makes sense to do those things now. $700 is still cheaper than the $1000 quote you got elsewhere.

Max Attitude 07-13-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by the Grinch (Post 16396506)

If you read it again.. It says extended to 8 years/125k whichever comes first. I am well beyond the milage.

RenoTL 07-13-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Max Attitude (Post 16453051)
If you read it again.. It says extended to 8 years/125k whichever comes first. I am well beyond the milage.

I believe the extended warranty offer is valid on all affectd cars until Septemeber 1, 2019 REGARLESS OF MILAGE.

acuratech481 07-13-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RenoTL (Post 16453063)
I believe the extended warranty offer is valid on all affectd cars until Septemeber 1, 2019 REGARLESS OF MILAGE.

This is correct. Get 'em in while you can!

jpajya 07-18-2019 10:53 AM

Another reminder to watch out for the dealership overfilling the oil level

Originally Posted by dinot (Post 16399316)
My bad experience with the dealer started at the initial oil change. ...When I pulled in to my garage, I also noticed that they had overfilled the oil by a huge amount. It was way above the high level on the dipstick. I'd say it was over by about 1 quart. They tried to cheat me on my 2nd reading as well. (That time I checked the oil at the dealership before leaving) ...

Took my 2011 MDX (88,000 miles) in for the Excess Oil Consumption Test.

Part I of the test, the dealer changed oil and filter to start the test. Having read about dealers overfilling the oil, I made a point to check while at the dealership when I picked up the car. Unfortunately, I didn't wait 5 minutes, so it looked like the oil was right at the top hatch mark of the dipstick. When I got home, I realized my mistake by not waiting 5 minutes, and checked again after waiting. The actual oil level was over an eighth of an inch above the top hatch mark of the dipstick.
Immediately contacted the service rep to let him know I was concerned the test wouldn't be accurate due to the overfill, sending him photos as well. I asked if I needed to bring the car back to get the test done correctly. He said no, that they would take the overfill into account at the 1,000 mile check.

Went back for Part II of the test (1,000 mile check) and service rep said no problem with the car as it was only half a quart low, and further indicated that the excess oil test was complete - no need to return. I reminded him of the overfill and that the "half quart low" reading was not accurate and he said I could return for a second check at 2,000 miles. Dealer refilled accurately this time to the top hatch mark of the dipstick.

Returned for Part III of the test (2,000 mile check), with dipstick measuring about an eighth of an inch above the low hatch mark, and service rep says the car meets the standard for repair. He sent the paperwork to Acura and I've received word its been approved, so now waiting for parts to schedule the repair.

blubayou 08-01-2019 01:31 PM

I just took mine in for the recall after the oil consumption test verified that my car was burning too much oil. I took it to the dealer and now they wait for Acura to ok the repairs. No timeline, since the dealer won't open the motor without Acura ok'ing the work. Then they tell me, they won't give me a loaner. I have heard from others (either here or on youtube) that they got a loaner from the dealer. So, I called the help number on the recall letter. The person helping me stated that since this is not a safety recall that they do not provide for a loaner. And each dealer is independently owned and operated. So, DON"T GO TO ACURA of ALHAMBRA for this issue. I am pissed. No idea of timeline and they said that I could get a car at their cost of $25 a day. They won't get done by this weekend, so I will have to pay over $200 or at least a week of a rental. I don't even know how much more they will try and stick to me the cost of any additional repairs that they will try to throw in.

acuratech481 08-01-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by blubayou (Post 16461442)
I just took mine in for the recall after the oil consumption test verified that my car was burning too much oil. I took it to the dealer and now they wait for Acura to ok the repairs. No timeline, since the dealer won't open the motor without Acura ok'ing the work. Then they tell me, they won't give me a loaner. I have heard from others (either here or on youtube) that they got a loaner from the dealer. So, I called the help number on the recall letter. The person helping me stated that since this is not a safety recall that they do not provide for a loaner. And each dealer is independently owned and operated. So, DON"T GO TO ACURA of ALHAMBRA for this issue. I am pissed. No idea of timeline and they said that I could get a car at their cost of $25 a day. They won't get done by this weekend, so I will have to pay over $200 or at least a week of a rental. I don't even know how much more they will try and stick to me the cost of any additional repairs that they will try to throw in.

This is correct, they have to wait for approval from the DPSM. Usually only takes a few days max. Chillax and hold tight! Hopefully the DPSM approves it!

CAacura 10-23-2019 02:02 PM

When did they measure the oil? I had a low oil light on and I had to add 4 quarts as after adding 2 the dipstick barely read. After adding the 4 qts, the dipstick when the engine was warm still was only 1/2 in the markings. When I checked later when the car was cold, the oil was up to the RCA mark on the dipstick! I thought cold the oil level should be lower?

technocrat 02-04-2020 01:26 PM

Ok, so i started checking my oil frequently (once a month lol) and logging it for a while now. I also started topping it off whenever it went low. I did it over the last 16k miles. I just reviewed that data and I figured that my engine is burning about Half quart every 1000 miles. Is this still excessive or acceptable level?

acuratech481 02-04-2020 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by technocrat (Post 16534434)
Ok, so i started checking my oil frequently (once a month lol) and logging it for a while now. I also started topping it off whenever it went low. I did it over the last 16k miles. I just reviewed that data and I figured that my engine is burning about Half quart every 1000 miles. Is this still excessive or acceptable level?

1 quart per 3000 miles is acceptable according to the manufacturer. Anything more is excessive.

dopeboy1 02-04-2020 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by acuratech481 (Post 16534514)
1 quart per 3000 miles is acceptable according to the manufacturer. Anything more is excessive.

Where are you getting 3000 miles from?

When you take it to the dealership for an oil consumption test for the oil consumption recall, they will only fix it if it burns 1 quart or more for every 1000 miles. Therefore anything less must be acceptable to them....

acuratech481 02-04-2020 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16534524)
Where are you getting 3000 miles from?

When you take it to the dealership for an oil consumption test for the oil consumption recall, they will only fix it if it burns 1 quart or more for every 1000 miles. Therefore anything less must be acceptable to them....

Correct, they wanna see consistent consumption of 1 quart of more per 1000 miles 3 times to cover piston and ring replacement. But we're told that 1 quart per 3000 miles is normal consumption and nothing to worry about.