Notices

2014 Acura MDX - RPM fluctuating on acceleration

 
Old 11-19-2017, 02:31 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 33
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Acura MDX - RPM fluctuating on acceleration

Experts please help —- just bought a 2014 Acura MDX sh-awd and during light acceleration my RPMs do not climb steady they are jumping up and down and you can feel a jerky acceleration.

Please note when you floor it there are no problems at all. See video below any ideas!?!

Edhgreatone is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
GhostTL09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts
Did you take it to dealer to have resolved. I think there is a TSB for that. Did you have it fixed? I have the same issue but was told my VIN didn't qualify for TSB. Even though it is doing exactly what the TSB said should be the symptoms.
GhostTL09 is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM
  #3  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,423
Received 13,975 Likes on 10,381 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostTL09 View Post
Did you take it to dealer to have resolved. I think there is a TSB for that. Did you have it fixed? I have the same issue but was told my VIN didn't qualify for TSB. Even though it is doing exactly what the TSB said should be the symptoms.
I just looked at the TSB.
I clicked on the one about "judder" as I think that's what this is between 20-60mph.
the TSB states that deteriorating fluid due to high temps are to blame and a software update is intended to keep the temps in the intended range.

If acura didn't give you the software update; it would be in your best interest to keep that fluid FRESH at all times.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-062.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-062.PDF
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 33
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes - they changed the transmission fluid and it resolved the issue.

i was overly worried about it since I just got a new car but they covered it all under warranty.

the tech did make me drive it to replicate the issue because at times it’s hard to reproduce.
Edhgreatone is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM
  #5  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,423
Received 13,975 Likes on 10,381 Posts
I would make it a habit to change the tranny fluid regularly.
Heat is the killer of ALL things
justnspace is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:18 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
GhostTL09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
I just looked at the TSB.
I clicked on the one about "judder" as I think that's what this is between 20-60mph.
the TSB states that deteriorating fluid due to high temps are to blame and a software update is intended to keep the temps in the intended range.

If acura didn't give you the software update; it would be in your best interest to keep that fluid FRESH at all times.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-062.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-062.PDF
Wow, I just looked at this again and saw the VIN range. Mine is smacked dead in the middle. My VIN: 530297 and they have the range listed as (513517 - 550713)
Mind you I called Acura Care for this. I will call the dealer and see if they have anything in their system today. I called 2x to Acura care. I wonder what the heck they were looking at.
GhostTL09 is offline  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM
  #7  
Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
justnspace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80,423
Received 13,975 Likes on 10,381 Posts
Remember, TSB's are different than recalls.
a dealer is under no obligation to do the work for free or at a reduced rate, since not mandated from the manufacture and said manufacture wont reimburse for the work.
I'd keep pestering them(in a nice way) for the software update, because heat can kill transmissions
justnspace is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 PM
  #8  
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 41
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edhgreatone View Post
Experts please help —- just bought a 2014 Acura MDX sh-awd and during light acceleration my RPMs do not climb steady they are jumping up and down and you can feel a jerky acceleration.

Please note when you floor it there are no problems at all. See video below any ideas!?!

https://youtu.be/RHbFwW0m1KE
Did you notice any acceleration issues on the low end when you had this issue? Mine seems to accelerate slow but when I get to a constant speed the RPMs start to jump.
jw_ashcraft is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.