2011 MDX - 7 year 50k miles service suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Question 2011 MDX - 7 year 50k miles service suggestions

Guys, I got an A1 service minder which I know is for Rotation & Oil change.

However want to ensure that I do the necessary service not just as per miles but as per age as well.

Few things to consider

- The last time car was aligned was when I installed new tires which was about 10k miles. Should I skip tire rotation at Service center and get Rotation and alignment done at a Tire shop?
- What other oils should i change?
-- I was duped by stealership last time around as they flushed the Brake oil during my last service (when my battery was changed). I vaguely remember change transmission fluid too and I seem to have lost the receipt ( I can see that i paid $182 from my card statement, which should be Battery + whatever oils they changed)
-- I also noticed on the car fax report from 3 years ago that the transmission fluid was changed at about 6 k miles, not sure if that was just a stunt by service center on previous owner or if something was wrong.

I am in a different state and city from my previous stealership where I bought my car and did all service..

Any advise would be helpful, want to make sure I get the right service done and also not duped by the service center, thanks

Last edited by technocrat; 01-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
My recommendation Sir...

Unless your car is pulling to the right or left, I wouldn't worry about the alignment. Since you only have 10K on them, I personally would not rotate them yet. Only oil that I change regularly is the Engine Oil. I believe between 65K-75K is when I got the notification for the transmission fluid service (I think it was A16). I pretty much follow the MID for oil changes. I personally do not flush ANYTHING. Something my father taught me being a mechanic all his life. Instead of flush, drain and fill method (like regular oil changes). You may have to do a few drain and fills though...

You can inspect your fluids. Look at the transmission dipstick. The ATF should have a reddish tint to it and it should be somewhat translucent. Also, see where it is on the dipstick to indicate it is at the right level. If the ATF looks brown, then it may need to be replaced. Same with the other fluids (PS, brake, coolant)... Just look at it to see if it looks " clean" and at the right levels. If they are low or look dirty, then you may need to replace with the appropriate drain and fill methods. Also, I highly recommend you do this with the engine cooled!

Now, since I've been maintaining the vehicle, it's been MUCH cheaper! I usually do my own maintenance, but I found a great independent shop to assist with bigger tasks or things I haven't done before (e.g., rear differential fluid change at 63K, about to do timing belt kit at 105K) for almost half what the dealer charges. I think you will be fine with just the basic A1 for now if you are only at 50K.
The following users liked this post:
technocrat (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Racer

Thanks,

yes car is not pulling. I go to Acura service center as its not much about 50-80 bucks and considering my low run(24k miles in 3.5 years ), I am fine with it plus gives me a reason to check out latest model

So overall I should just get the A1 service done, thats all right?

In this Minnesota Weather engine is always cool , I understand what you say, will check first thing in morning.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Yes Sir! Just the A1 and you will be fine! I forgot to mention that you can check your air filter as well. I wish I did prior to my 42k service as the dealer got $110 out if me to change the intake air filter and cabin filter. I just changed both this month at 105k by myself. Could have saved $90 as the filters can be had for $20-30.

I got higher end K&N filter now, so it's reusable and febreze cabin air filter. ~$70 total for both vs the $20 like paper filter I had installed by the dealer at a premium rate.
technocrat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Reading your post it is obvious you will not DIY your timing belt. Since your car is low mileage, you will want to change timing belt sometime in the next year or two. You will get many opinions on how long to wait with low mileage. I did mine at 7 years and it looked perfect. Many will say low mileage X’s can go at least 10 years. I am mentioning this because it is outrageously expensive at dealership. Hopefully you can find an honest indie who will do good work at a reasonable price. In either event, you may want to start saving now unless you are flush with cash.
technocrat (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nats007
Yes Sir! Just the A1 and you will be fine! I forgot to mention that you can check your air filter as well. I wish I did prior to my 42k service as the dealer got $110 out if me to change the intake air filter and cabin filter. I just changed both this month at 105k by myself. Could have saved $90 as the filters can be had for $20-30.

I got higher end K&N filter now, so it's reusable and febreze cabin air filter. ~$70 total for both vs the $20 like paper filter I had installed by the dealer at a premium rate.
Yes, Cabin Air filter I DIY(put in a FRAM one last June), K&N even I am planning to go that route this time to see if it makes any difference, had done that in V6 accord and saw minor difference. I see model number as K&N 33-2454.for my MDX.

Originally Posted by Artbuc
Reading your post it is obvious you will not DIY your timing belt. Since your car is low mileage, you will want to change timing belt sometime in the next year or two. You will get many opinions on how long to wait with low mileage. I did mine at 7 years and it looked perfect. Many will say low mileage X’s can go at least 10 years. I am mentioning this because it is outrageously expensive at dealership. Hopefully you can find an honest indie who will do good work at a reasonable price. In either event, you may want to start saving now unless you are flush with cash.
Yes, I can do basic DIY like filters but dont have space or tools and hence lack of inclination to do bigger ones

I prefer Service center as cost has been really low for a premium suv, this is also in part due to my extremely low running. So while I am not flush with cash the service costs of authorized service centers have been really low(just MID recommended services and each of them were under $80, only additional spend has been for battery and additional service center recommended oil changes which again were under $200) in my 3.5 years of ownership.

And thanks for the suggestion on timing belt as I don't want to max out usage or age on critical components like timing belt, transmission oils etc and am fine doing it a little early than recommended interval, as having a reliable car is more important to me.