2011/2012 MDX Phantom Undercarriage Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011/2012 MDX Phantom Undercarriage Noise

So, we've all had those phantom noises that seem to come and go with little reason and very rarely present themselves to a qualified technician. I seem to have one of them. Two, actually, since it's appearing intermittently on two different MDXs.

I own a 2011 Advance and the wife drives a 2012 Tech. They both show symptoms...

The 'Noise' seems to emanate from below the vehicle. It's not consistent in any sense, except that my wife and I agree that we hear it upon acceleration. Not on consistent hard acceleration, not specifically from a stop, sometimes when the vehicle isn't so warm, other times when it's at operating temperature.

Describing the 'Noise' is difficult. Most of the time, upon accelerating, I hear the pleasant sound of the 3.7L power plant. But the 'Noise' has a more open, ting-y sound. Ever heard the sound a diesel engine makes when the driver really stands on it? Almost like the clacking of old style lifters. And I say open because it doesn't sound as though it's being blocked by anything. It's especially noticeable when you are driving alongside a concrete barrier or some such...

That's the 'Noise'.

My hypothesis is that the 'Noise' is coming from the joint between the catalytic converter and the dual tailpipe assembly. Sadly, I couldn't coerce either of my children to climb under there, hang on, and report where the 'Noise' was coming from after a good solid road trip. Not ever for $20. Kids these days...

Anyone have this issue? Better, has anyone ever diagnosed and fixed the 'Noise' ? Any opinions are much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check the heat shield on the exhaust.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the two right above the mufflers? Or elsewhere? The two above the mufflers are definitely fine because I recently had to pull them to try and install a tow bar...
Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by mephisto33
One of the two right above the mufflers? Or elsewhere? The two above the mufflers are definitely fine because I recently had to pull them to try and install a tow bar...
there are heatshields by the front 2 cats, the 3rd cat and the mid muffler! Also check for some loose items under your seat and in the center storage compartments (including the passenger footwell center console one). It could also be from the front seats, my MDX's passenger seat does this with anything over 50lbs in it. Maybe because a great dane sat in it....