2009 Canadian MDX Elite Navigation system dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Canadian MDX Elite Navigation system dead

Hi,

A few weeks ago my Nav system died, I believe. The screen is blank but looks lightly lit. this knocked out my backup camera as well as the nav. i took it to the dealer and they pulled the unit out. It was fairly rusty ... whomever the bright engineer who thought to place a computer under the driver’s seat in a Canadian car that would be subject to lots of snow and moisture should be fired.

The dealer says the unit could be shipped to Alpine for a $450 nonrefundable fee, with no guarantee that the unit would be repairable. because it is non refundable I am hesitant to do it. the dealer quoted a cost of >$4000 to replace.

I dont care so much about the Navigation, but I badly need the backup camera which also routs through the nav system. are they any cheaper alternatives to replacing the Unit ? I saw some units that claimed to enable Android/iOs integration and camera functionality, but they looked sketchy.

thanks In advance !
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by tmark
Hi,

A few weeks ago my Nav system died, I believe. The screen is blank but looks lightly lit. this knocked out my backup camera as well as the nav. i took it to the dealer and they pulled the unit out. It was fairly rusty ... whomever the bright engineer who thought to place a computer under the driver’s seat in a Canadian car that would be subject to lots of snow and moisture should be fired.

The dealer says the unit could be shipped to Alpine for a $450 nonrefundable fee, with no guarantee that the unit would be repairable. because it is non refundable I am hesitant to do it. the dealer quoted a cost of >$4000 to replace.

I dont care so much about the Navigation, but I badly need the backup camera which also routs through the nav system. are they any cheaper alternatives to replacing the Unit ? I saw some units that claimed to enable Android/iOs integration and camera functionality, but they looked sketchy.

thanks In advance !
Is the screen fully dead? Like the radio presets screen does not work either?

While I fully agree that it was a very stupid idea on Acuras side to put that part under the driver seat, that part is not a computer. It is the DVD disc drive manufactured by alpine that runs the map disc for the nav system. So I’m confused as to why they think it is the problem when the back up cam also went out which does not rely on that disc drive under the seat.

On my 2007 MDX Elite (also Canadian model) that drive was also damaged due to rust and water from shoes so my nav maps did not work. However my backup cam and all other functions that did not rely on the map function worked. So if the screen itself is dim, it is the screen that is the issue and not that drive.