2008 Sudden Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sudden Starting Problems

So we got back from a California trip with no problems. Parked it. Then two days later went to start it and it wouldn't start...It did the fast flicker of all lights but was not turning over at all. Got jumped, worked fine. Drove 3 hours, parked. Went inside for half and hour came back, same thing..it tries to start, but won't. Get jumped, go to Autozone, they test the battery = Good Battery. Test the Alternator= Good Alternator....Ugh...So I drive back to where I am staying...Next day, it starts up, but very slow and sluggish. Go a few places with it either sitting hours or sitting minutes and it starts but super sluggish. And yes - the passenger window won't go up and down from the driver's side. So I think people have been talking about the possible parsetic draw....I will unhook the HFL. Is it any value to take out the fuse for the radio like people have said? What about take out all DVDs and CDs. Could it be the starter solenoid dying? Someone said a relay. What else could be drawing power while the car sits?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Test it with a multimeter to find out what's causing the parasitic draw . Definitely something
Old 07-15-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
There are 2 possible parasitic draws on the early Xs..
HFL Unit and the A/C Relay getting stuck.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:12 AM
2nd Gear

Had the same issue with my 08 TL. I checked with an multimeter and found there was a parasitic draw. Took out the HFL and no problems since. I tried the baking process described in other threads (bake HFL at 385 for 8 minutes followed by 25 minutes of cooling) but this didn't work for me. I would take out the HFL and then see if you still have the parasitic draw- if you don't I wouldn't worry about taking out the radio fuse. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Test it with a multimeter to find out what's causing the parasitic draw . Definitely something
I have a meter at home but really don't know how to use it. I am new to them.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by coynor
Had the same issue with my 08 TL. I checked with an multimeter and found there was a parasitic draw. Took out the HFL and no problems since. I tried the baking process described in other threads (bake HFL at 385 for 8 minutes followed by 25 minutes of cooling) but this didn't work for me. I would take out the HFL and then see if you still have the parasitic draw- if you don't I wouldn't worry about taking out the radio fuse. Good luck!
I did that to my HFL when I first got the car a little while back and it did help with the car recognizing the unit. I have since taken it out yesterday, drove around a few time and it will start but super hard and almost like it does not want to. Did you find that it was the HFL that was the problem?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Skirmich
There are 2 possible parasitic draws on the early Xs..
HFL Unit and the A/C Relay getting stuck.
How can the A/C Relay be checked and then fixed? Is it an easy fix? How is it that the relay is stopping the car from starting? That seems odd that that would be connected somehow.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bensgig
How can the A/C Relay be checked and then fixed? Is it an easy fix? How is it that the relay is stopping the car from starting? That seems odd that that would be connected somehow.
Also, How do I fix the passenger window not going up and down from the driver's side? I can also put in the code for the Nav and it works but when I put in the codes for the stereo, it won't work.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 PM

The A/C Relay gets stuck in the ON position which makes the A/C clutch engage at all times even with A/C off and even with the cut turned off so this discharges the battery and fast.
The Relay is located under the Passenger Fuse Box in the Engine Bay, Honda has updated that Relay for a more reliable unit.. This is one of the 2 Known parasitic draws in the 2G MDX.

The passenger window might be connected to the driver sub harness.. https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...arness-939145/
The radio code issue I dont know.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
The A/C Relay gets stuck in the ON position which makes the A/C clutch engage at all times even with A/C off and even with the cut turned off so this discharges the battery and fast.
The Relay is located under the Passenger Fuse Box in the Engine Bay, Honda has updated that Relay for a more reliable unit.. This is one of the 2 Known parasitic draws in the 2G MDX.

The passenger window might be connected to the driver sub harness.. https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...arness-939145/
The radio code issue I dont know.
Sheesh I feel like we are talking about an X5 with all the issues and weird jargon!
Old 07-16-2016, 04:02 AM

Hey at least they are not transmission issues! hahaha I suffered from the Drivers Sub Harness failure but so far I haven't had the Relay or HFL issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:38 PM
8th Gear

Fixed it

Hey at least they are not transmission issues! hahaha I suffered from the Drivers Sub Harness failure but so far I haven't had the Relay or HFL issue.
So I ended up testing the battery over at Autozone, they said it was good. I then went over to Honda, tested it, they said it was bad. Then I went over to OReillys and they tested it and said battery bad. So I decided to buy a new battery. Everything good now. I think that is all that it was. I did have to reprogram a few things like windows and stereo, but at least it was an easy fix and not one of the bigger things. Thanks for everyone's input