AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   2008 MDX Tow Hitch Install (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/2008-mdx-tow-hitch-install-965718/)

aclare3 12-31-2017 06:38 AM

2008 MDX Tow Hitch Install

I have a 2008 MDX that did not come with the tow package installed. I am considering a DIY installation of an aftermarket hitch. I have read that there may be a transmission cooler needed to be able to tow larger loads. Is that true? I have also read that the 07 and later MDXs have these installed even if you don't get the factory tow package. Does anyone know what the reality is or how I can check on my vehicle?

Also any other helpful tips on the tow installation would be appreciated. Thanks

Skirmich 12-31-2017 03:28 PM

Yours already have the ATF Cooler installed so its 5000lb tow rated from the factory even without the hitch installed.

nats007 01-02-2018 09:09 PM

The install was not bad; however, there were some fitment issues with the Curt hitch i got used. Nothing that could not be overcome... My BIGGEST recommendation is know what bolts goes where. I think we battled because we crossed threaded 2 bolts and that caused significant issues. Follow the instructions and insure each bolt catches hand threading them first!

Originally Posted by aclare3 (Post 16156014)
I have a 2008 MDX that did not come with the tow package installed. I am considering a DIY inst noallation of an aftermarket hitch. I have read that there may be a transmission cooler needed to be able to tow larger loads. Is that true? I have also read that the 07 and later MDXs have these installed even if you don't get the factory tow package. Does anyone know what the reality is or how I can check on my vehicle?

Also any other helpful tips on the tow installation would be appreciated. Thanks

mrgold35 01-03-2018 07:48 AM

Some folks had issues with some aftermarket hidden hitches because they couldn't fit a full size spare. I went with OEM hitch because I wanted to replace the donut with a full size spare. Didn't want a donut if I'm +500 miles from home with the speed limit 75-80 mph in the southwest. You might be stuck with a donut or having to remove some of the air from a full size spare to fit if your hitch doesn't have a large enough space.

qyf 01-11-2018 05:09 PM

Full size spare is a must. Only the OE hitch can fit with the full size spare.
As far as to the harness, you may go aftermarket, although I still choose the OE for cleaner plugin and play installation.
DIY installation is easy and straightforward. However, I did run into the hardware store to get longer nuts and stronger washer.

Carpayment4life 01-12-2018 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by qyf (Post 16163469)
As far as to the harness, you may go aftermarket, although I still choose the OE for cleaner plugin and play installation.

etrailer dot com sold me an aftermarket trailer harness that was plug and play, for about $25.