AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1/2G MDX (2001-2013) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/)
-   -   2007 MDX Stereo Illumination Wire - Double DIN Installation (https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/2007-mdx-stereo-illumination-wire-double-din-installation-893050/)

MI6 07-30-2013 01:23 AM

2007 MDX Stereo Illumination Wire - Double DIN Installation

Note: Please move this post if necessary; it's been awhile since I've been here and I'm not sure where to post such things anymore. I used to know where to post when I had my TL Type-S but with the MDX forum I get lost even though there always seems less to talk about (much to my chagrin).

At hand: aftermarket installation of a double-DIN head unit in my 2007 MDX. Talk about a custom job.

I'm nearing completion of installing my new 7" touchscreen JVC head unit in my MDX. I'm about 75% complete. My (current) problem (there are always problems with custom work) is this: where can I find a wire to attach the JVC illumination (orange/white) wire to some wire in the vehicle harness? The older MDX's were SO much easier!!

My theory is this: when the headlights are turned on the dash lights dim, so somewhere there has to be a wire of appropriate gauge I can tap into. I want to remind that I am not looking to tap into the dimmer switch. These wires are around 22 gauge wire.

I'm looking for a wire that may come right out of the steering stock perhaps? The headlight stock, does that have any specific wires that are relevant? What is producing this voltage drop when the lights are turned on so the dash lights become "dim"? Is it a relay or a fuse somewhere connection somewhere in the engine bay perhaps? Everything in the cabin is exposed so I can test nearly any wire within reason.

FWIW I've taken pictures of the whole process, some with my Nikon D7100 so I can get great depth of field shots on objects I really want to emphasize and others with my iPhone, which although still good, trades off quality for ease of accessibility when wanting to take pictures in a small and difficult location. When this project is complete I will explain in detail how it is I went about thsi process, the reason I chose the location for my head unit (where the old nav unit screen was), parts, which wires are what (except for illumination!), costs, and tools required. And patience. A lot of it. I've learned a lot from this project of what to and what not to do so it should be a huge help to someone who is looking for a 4/5 to 5/5 difficulty level project (if you want it to look good and maintain the OEM look in the console area).

Once complete I'll have to ask one of the moderators to help me put some sort of post together or perhaps upload a MS Word file for others to take the plunge if they so desire.

My next project (after finishing my MAME arcade) is to do this all over again but putting the double-DIN where the existing CD changer is, just below the HVAC controls. This setup would be ideal.

Lastly, reaching over to the touch screen is not nearly as bad as one would think. I had many reservations because of this but after much "ergonomic testing" from different people they concluded it works quite well. The added remote makes it that much easier, and it has Blue Tooth to boot.

Thanks in advance, but I wanted to provide an update of this project along with a sincere question about the illumination wire. Up until 06' I believe it was blk/red but that may have been for the dimmer, idk.

MDX6900 07-31-2013 03:16 PM

this is very interesting. please post the instruction when you're done. are you going to relocate the navi and put an aftermarket head unit where navi screen was?

MI6 08-01-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MDX6900 (Post 14603782)
this is very interesting. please post the instruction when you're done. are you going to relocate the navi and put an aftermarket head unit where navi screen was?

I definitely will post instructions complete with photos when I'm done. The original navi is not going to be used, though I will maintain the fascia and the knob and buttons which support it the original equipment directly below the HVAC controls (the dark silver/gray piece where you put your CD's in).

You are correct with the aftermarket head unit. I anticipate that will be hooked up this weekend. I need to do a little more wiring to get the sub RCA's, reverse light lead, and the video RCA wire for the reverse camera (I have disconnected the OEM camera in favor of an aftermarket camera which has "guidelines" as well as infrared.

It's a difficult project but I think it can be easier for the next person now that they know what to do if they choose to go this path with the aftermarket head unit up where the OEM navi was.

My next project will be creating a custom fascia for the double DIN unit right where the CD's are inserted. I am going to ditch the OEM fascia altogether, as well as the gray plastic. I will be using burl walnut most likely (or whatever fake plastic wood which is in the whole vehicle now; I have to do my research).

MDX6900 08-01-2013 09:30 PM

wow, i can't wait to see the final product. i don't know if this will help but i have all the wiring diagrams/pinouts courtesy of tim from the other forum for the radio harness. pm me your email so i can send it if you want. or if you are a member there i can post the link.

MI6 08-01-2013 09:39 PM

Wow, that would be a huge help! It would help me with the final wiring this weekend for sure. I would be much more assured with this. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

MI6 08-01-2013 09:42 PM

PM'd !

MDX6900 08-02-2013 10:08 PM

No problem. emailed!! Hope it helps.

MDX6900 08-12-2013 08:39 PM

any updates?

MI6 08-13-2013 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MDX6900 (Post 14621551)
any updates?

I do have a few updates. I've successfully routed all of the wiring. All I need to do is plug it into the head unit and see if things are working properly.

Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams you gave me were for up to 06' model years. It was an honest attempt though and I do appreciate it! The 2007 through 2013 models (probably 2014 too) are an entirely different beast. There are no Metra connector kits for speakers or adapter kits for single or double DIN. Everything is custom. And I really do mean everything.

Hopefully my attachment of the picture works of my modified console to fit the double DIN. I've used everything from a screwdriver to a MIG welder to get to this point!

MDX6900 08-14-2013 09:13 PM

Sorry about that. Hope everything turns ok.

hydrotian 06-26-2018 12:41 AM

Pinout information for 2010 MDX

Originally Posted by MI6 (Post 14623636)
I do have a few updates. I've successfully routed all of the wiring. All I need to do is plug it into the head unit and see if things are working properly.

Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams you gave me were for up to 06' model years. It was an honest attempt though and I do appreciate it! The 2007 through 2013 models (probably 2014 too) are an entirely different beast. There are no Metra connector kits for speakers or adapter kits for single or double DIN. Everything is custom. And I really do mean everything.

Hopefully my attachment of the picture works of my modified console to fit the double DIN. I've used everything from a screwdriver to a MIG welder to get to this point!

Hi, I 'm trying to install an aftermarket head unit for my 2010 MDX base but can't find information about the harness pinout diagram online. Then I cam across you post and looks like you have made it work! I'm wondering if you can point me to some pinout information so that I can hardwire the aftermarket head unit. There are five plugs connecting the original radio, including a small antenna connector, a white 14 pin connector, a gray 24 pin connector, a gray 32 pin connector, and a gray 17 pin connector. Any help will be much appreciated!

wwong 10-25-2018 08:14 AM

Have you completed the installation on your 2010 base MDX?

This is what I used to get an aftermarket head unit installed
  • Metra 95-7820B Dash kit
  • Metra 70-1722 Radio Wiring harness
    • (This is used only for Constant 12V (Yellow wire), 12V (Red wire), Ground (Black wire). All other wires were wrong
  • Metra 40-HD10 - Antenna kit
  • 3 sets of RCA to speaker wires
    • This is used to connect the pre-amp out to the connector below to connect to the factory amp.
  • Metra 70-1731 Radio Wiring harness, this comes with two connectors (got a version of this on ebay, same as one from crutchfield)
    • This is the 32 pin

connector next to the 17 pin connector.
    • This is the connector going to the factory amp.
    • All the wires are not correct
    • Pulled all the wires from both connectors, be gentle as you will need all the wires
Short instructions
  • Connect the 12V (red), Constant 12V (yellow), and Ground (black) from the aftermarket headunit to the 17 PIN connector.
  • Connect the Power Amp wire to the second connector
    • There are sometimes two blue wires, one is for power antenna (may only have power when listening to radio), use the constant one instead.
    • In the photo below, on the top row, the 7th wire from the left, is where I connected the blue wire from the radio (AMP trigger wire)
  • After the AMP trigger is done, the wires to the right and the pre amp inputs
    • Positive on top, Negative below and slightly to the left
    • The order I did them in is
      • Left Front (White, White w/black stripe)
      • Right Front (Gray, Gray w/black stripe)
      • Left Rear (Green, Green w/black stripe)
      • Right Rear (Purple, Purple w/black stripe)
      • Sub woofer
      • Center speaker
  • With this setup, I am able to install an aftermarket radio without cutting any of the factory wires and able to put back the factory radio at any time.
  • What is not currently working
    • Dimming wire. Have not been able to find it
    • Steering wheel control. There is an after market adapter for this. Have not had the time to install it
  • Also great to have, is the rear camera feed
Hope this helps you out and if anyone can tell me where the "dimmer/illumination" wire is that will be great

Carpayment4life 10-26-2018 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by wwong (Post 16319630)

• (This is used only for Constant 12V (Yellow wire), 12V (Red wire), Ground (Black wire). All other wires were wrong
    • This is used to connect the pre-amp out to the connector below to connect to the factory amp.
  • Metra 70-1731 Radio Wiring harness, this comes with two connectors (got a version of this on ebay, same as one from crutchfield)
    • This is the 32 pin

• Pulled all the wires from both connectors, be gentle as you will need all the wires
Short instructions
  • Connect the 12V (red), Constant 12V (yellow), and Ground (black) from the aftermarket headunit to the 17 PIN connector.
    • There are sometimes two blue wires, one is for power antenna (may only have power when listening to radio), use the constant one instead.
    • In the photo below, on the top row, the 7th wire from the left, is where I connected the blue wire from the radio (AMP trigger wire)
      • Sub woofer
      • Center speaker
  • With this setup, I am able to install an aftermarket radio without cutting any of the factory wires and able to put back the factory radio at any time.
    • Steering wheel control. There is an after market adapter for this. Have not had the time to install it
Hope this helps you out and if anyone can tell me where the "dimmer/illumination" wire is that will be great

Thank you.

Kristoff 01-04-2019 03:02 PM

Today I started to exchange HU in my MDX from 2008. I made the radio connections using the description of this topic - good job !

Thai doan 02-20-2019 10:23 PM

Mdx Stereo wiring

• This is the 32 pin

Short instructions
      • Sub woofer
      • Center speaker

do you plug this in the dash area or amp section?

Thai doan 02-20-2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff (Post 16359335)
Today I started to exchange HU in my MDX from 2008. I made the radio connections using the description of this topic - good job !

can you assist me on the installation bro?

Do you need the RCA wires if your MDX doesn’t have Navi?

Kristoff 02-26-2019 06:25 AM

You connect to the factory car cable harness. The signal to the amplifier must be connected to the preamplifier outputs of the radio you want to install. If your aftetmarket radio has an RCA preamplifier output you should use the appropriate convector RCA. No matter if your car has Navi or not.

Kristoff 02-26-2019 07:05 AM

...of course the connector, not the "convector" . ;)

malvar 03-09-2019 02:01 PM

Thank you WWONG for your post. It's very helpful and I feel way more confident in making my aftermarket radio work.

malvar 03-09-2019 02:13 PM

Did anybody ever figure out the dimmer/illumination wire on the 2007-2013 MDX?
I tried testing the 4 main large connectors going to the radio with a multimeter and by switching headlights off and on but no luck. Not a single wire changed state while I was doing this.
This is the last piece of information I need before I finalize my installation.

AndyC 09-09-2019 06:00 PM

Dimming signal on AC control (pin 30, blue wire).

if anyone can tell me where the "dimmer/illumination" wire is that will be great

Your post has been very helpful, thank you.
I am doing this now on my 2009 (with no navigation). The original unit does not have any display that is controlled by dimming but I found the dimming signal on the large grey connector that goes to the AC control (pin 30, blue wire). this goes high when the dash lights are dimmed.

I need to locate the parking brake and reverse signal. Any idea where they are? Thanks.

wwong 09-09-2019 11:11 PM

I have the 2010 base package, which has the backup display on the rear view mirror. That is where I got the reverse wire from and also the backup camera signal. Don't remember which wire.

Although I ended not using the video and ran another video and camera to the rear and fed that into the my kenwood unit.
Kenwood's does not need the parking brake cable, so I did not have to deal with it.

Raquel Legarda 09-13-2019 02:04 AM

2005 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by wwong (Post 16477862)
I have the 2010 base package, which has the backup display on the rear view mirror. That is where I got the reverse wire from and also the backup camera signal. Don't remember which wire.

Although I ended not using the video and ran another video and camera to the rear and fed that into the my kenwood unit.
Kenwood's does not need the parking brake cable, so I did not have to deal with it.

If the parking and reverse cable are 2 different colors, you need to ground the brake cable to bypass it, or your video will not work in drive. The back/ reverse goes to the green/black cable ! Thanks for the dimmer input, I had grounded it but now I'm going to tap into that ac harnesse..

Raquel Legarda 09-13-2019 07:07 AM

2005 Acura MDX

Originally Posted by MDX6900 (Post 14606007)
wow, i can't wait to see the final product. i don't know if this will help but i have all the wiring diagrams/pinouts courtesy of tim from the other forum for the radio harness. pm me your email so i can send it if you want. or if you are a member there i can post the link.

Mayb I please have those diagrams, I'm having a hard time finding one for my 05, I'm left with the dimmer wire, the mute wire, and the steering wheel controls!!!

AndyC 09-13-2019 10:35 AM

2009 MDX dimmer and steering wheel control lines

Turns out I took a picture of the dimmer wire, attached, which is in the larger of two connectors that go to my AC controls. But if your car is not 2009 you should confirm that the wire is normally 0v and goes to +12v when the dash is dimmed, that's how I found it. I don't have diagrams but I am documenting my work more at MDXers under "Where to find a dash kit for an aftermarket Stereo on a 08".

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...91fc6b2172.jpg
ac cable dimmer pin on 2009 MDX

Also attached is my version of the photo posted above by wwong, the 32 pin socket from the Metra 70-1731 kit, and a pinout of it (connector B) that I found at MDXers. This feeds the preamp inputs on the amp, the amp turn on signal, and the black and yellow wires on the left are the (-) and (+) from the steering control. It looks to be correct for the 2009 but I won't know for sure until Sunday when I do the final connections - I will post my results.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d197e54d7f.png
Radio for 2nd gen MDX (or close to it)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0c0aa2911a.jpg
Adapted Metra 70-1731 32 pin socket for 2009 MDX preamp, amp-remote, and steering wheel controls

Raquel Legarda 09-13-2019 11:16 AM

05 mdx

Originally Posted by AndyC (Post 16479472)
Turns out I took a picture of the dimmer wire, attached, which is in the larger of two connectors that go to my AC controls. But if your car is not 2009 you should confirm that the wire is normally 0v and goes to +12v when the dash is dimmed, that's how I found it. I don't have diagrams but I am documenting my work more at MDXers under "Where to find a dash kit for an aftermarket Stereo on a 08".

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...91fc6b2172.jpg
ac cable dimmer pin on 2009 MDX

Also attached is my version of the photo posted above by wwong, the 32 pin socket from the Metra 70-1731 kit, and a pinout of it (connector B) that I found at MDXers. This feeds the preamp inputs on the amp, the amp turn on signal, and the black and yellow wires on the left are the (-) and (+) from the steering control. It looks to be correct for the 2009 but I won't know for sure until Sunday when I do the final connections - I will post my results.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d197e54d7f.png
Radio for 2nd gen MDX (or close to it)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...0c0aa2911a.jpg
Adapted Metra 70-1731 32 pin socket for 2009 MDX preamp, amp-remote, and steering wheel controls

Thank you so much for your quick response, unfortunately, This diagram is nothing close to my unit, mine does not have as many outlets. I'm still looking for the steering wheel wiring diagram for I'm left with brown and orange/black wires disconnected.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ab154c2fe5.jpg
The original unit without navigation!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4a9c366ea4.jpg
The aftermarket stereo, android 8.0.. it'd be ideal if i could use all the features .

timsledge 01-16-2020 01:51 PM

radio swap base to tech

how would one do a base to tech swap on a 2007 acura mdx i have radio and dispay screen for top of dash and found the nav and backup camera on eBay fairly cheap