2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install

Old 10-02-2013, 03:16 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install

Well, I hope these pics upload. The first one shows the radio without the center vents.

The second picture portrays what it looks like from the interior. Note how the bottom of the vent piece surround sticks out at the bottom. This is because 3 of the 4 metal prongs that hold it in place I broke from the many, many times I took it off and put it back on.

The third picture I took before I was on my way to work. It shows my favorite band (Rush!) playing Tom Sawyer.

The fourth picture is awesome. You see, 2007 models don't have a reverse camera with guidelines. I think it wasn't until 2010 that this feature was added.

I have gigabytes of pictures taken both with my Nikon and my iPhone that go over the whole process. If you are interested in doing something like this...it's not easy. Really. It's a big PITA. I had to customize the defrost. If I had to do it again at least now I know what obstacles there are and I would know what not to do.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the outcome. It looks very sharp, I never need to touch the touch screen (ever) because I have a remote, BlueTooth pairs beautifully, DVD's work great on the high-res screen, backing up at night is much easier with the multitude of infrared LED's and the guideline system (though it's aimed a bit high at the moment).

The sound is incredible. I have a mono amp driving to slim 12's that fit between the 3rd row seats and the tailgate and a four channel amp going to the rest of the system. This is the ELS system too and, through Acura electrical diagrams, found a way to get around that issue pretty easily.

This is a temp fix however, and I don't mean to sound cocky. My ultimate goal which I will start on next is making a fascia that fits just below the HVAC controls. That will be much more fun and there is a lot more room for a double din radio. I'll keep you informed when I start that project.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-1.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-2.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-3.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-4.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Back to Acura!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a project for me, BUT WOW! Nice work! Love the backup cam. Only thing I am not a fan of on my 2008. Wish I could change it out to a better camera.
The following users liked this post:
19Ralph93 (01-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Originally Posted by donheller
Not a project for me, BUT WOW! Nice work! Love the backup cam. Only thing I am not a fan of on my 2008. Wish I could change it out to a better camera.
Thank you for the kind comments. It was a heck of a job. It took about 40 hours of work but, looking back, I think I could do it in 10 now that I know what I am doing. An even better radio would only add to the fun.

It's worth nothing that (I *think*) you can splice a quality aftermarket backup camera with guide lines. There are three wires coming from the OEM camera: black, red, and white. Once it reaches the connector, about 7 or so different wires come out. This is a very sure sign that a relay is involved.

It could be difficult to splice in a simple $50-$100 license plate frame camera with color, guide lines, and infrared, but then again I am from the North. There are not many people who do this sort of thing where I live. When I lived in South Carolina, in Columbia, there were shops that had people that I swear were wizards with electronics.

FWIW I did splice it sort-of successfully before I went full-monty on the double-DIN install. The damned thing was I could only get it to work when the tailgate was up!!

Again, a relay issue but nothing an experienced car audio place couldn't perform I would imagine. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you know of places that have successfully spliced in an aftermarket back-up cam into OEM Nav electronics.

Cheers,
MI6
Attached Thumbnails 2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-my-2007-acura-mdx.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by MI6:
19Ralph93 (01-07-2020), donheller (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

It's worth noting that just over the horizon there will be far more "connected" vehicles that offer smartphone capabilities. For example, this article from Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-raspberry-pi/

Clearly things are still in the early stages but given a few years I think we'll see some dramatic improvements that do not compromise safety.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow! Awesome Job! I have always researched and wanted to take on this task but a bit daunting for me because I have the base model 07 MDX. I had a good deal when I bought my X however did not realize that its not upgrade-able to dvd/gps if I wanted to. The dealers told me it cost $1k as it is just for factory cables and a headache as it is to run plus the console and screens definitely made it not worth it.

I have been planning on installing mine on the same location however with the base model... that section only comes with the vents plust a little clock display. Yours having the factory screen gave you that space for a double din.

My solution is to find online/junkyards/ebay the shroud piece for the vents and the top cover for the dash/screen.

Several questions i'd like to ask from your expertise while doing this project:
1. How did you make the double din stay in place?
2. Where do I begin to have the wiring work together with the factory unit? or the aftermarket JVC unit is the only one working and none of the factory controls?

Still an awesome install! Props to you!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to everyone on this. Been very busy! I've got a few more photos I've uploaded that show route which I took.

I learned a lot from this. If I had to do it again I would take the entire dash apart, everything, and work with the defroster/air plastic tunnel thing. That is the biggest hurdle by far.

I have done a very custom approach, even gone so far as using some really oddball parts, but again, if I did it again I am now armed with the knowledge to do this "right."

The plastic is a 12" x 10" or so that is 1/8" thick. It is very sturdy for this job. It holds the (larger than normal) JVC double din head unit in place very well. I wanted more structure though so I welded a frame which surrounded the casing that the head unit slides into.

It sounds hard but it really is easy. It's just some pieces of angle iron and flat pieces of steel, all 1/8" thick stock. I used very rough measurements, nothing exacting, and cut and welded this thing in under an hour. There's more to it later but I'll just take it slow with the process for now.

The two tabs at the end bolt onto the rear of the defroster making for an extremely rigid assembly. This thing isn't going anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails 2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-1.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-2.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-3.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-4.jpg   2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-5.jpg  

2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-6.jpg  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

The wiring diagram took some thinking through but after a bit it was pretty clear once I stared at the color photo enough.

Basically what you want to do is bypass the factory amp. I removed the connector from the bottom of the amp and then said, you know what? Screw it, let's cut and solder. So I cut the connector that goes to the amp (leaving plenty of room should I ever want to use it again or go back to stock).

The wires that lead to the amp are the wires that you see in the attached diagram. If you have the ELS system like I do have no fear, the tweeters and the rear surround speakers are wired in-line so it literally comes down to a normal car audio setup: 8 audio wires. RR negative, RF negative, RR positive...you get the idea. The thick black wire is the ground. The thick purple wire is the constant (yellow) wire. There is no accessory (red) wire down in this kick-panel area that I could find that was a wire of sufficient gauge. Instead. I went crazy and soldered directly from the ignition and sent a red wire behind the dash and to the radio harness that way, coming from the drivers side of the vehicle as opposed to the rest of the wires which come from the passenger's side.

From the audio image you can clear see the colors the factory used. You can use the same or just be very careful in keeping track as to what wire goes where. For my purposes I completely removed the center front speaker. I've always regarded it as useless anyhow. Doing so eliminates the Pink/Black wires.

On the right/middle of the photo you will see a box with subwoofer written underneath it. These wires are now obsolete because, if you do decide to use a sub, do it the right way and use RCA cables from the pre-amp outputs on the head unit.

Just keep a clear eye out on the two blue boxes on the top and bottom of the page which say "Stereo Amplifier" and you'll do fine. Sometimes what helps is just to stare at it for a while and then you will have a Eureka moment. If you get it right away even better!

Attached Thumbnails 2007 2nd Gen Final Double Din Install-audio-system-amp.jpg  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
6th Gear

MI6! Many many thanks providing furthermore info on your elaborate awesome 2din aftermarket project! You are the very first one to successfully do all this mod and like I mentioned before... Kudos to you!

It'll be a long project for me since but at least I know which direction to go!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:24 PM
6th Gear

Since you have aftermarket nav/dvd setup now... did you install aftermarket amp and subs? If so, where did you pick to install the amp-underneath a seat? and sub/s? or did you stay with same location for subwoofer but change to a better aftermarket?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice install... alot of work obviously. I was wondering if you got your dbl DIN from Crutchfield? In my case, a 97 Maxima with Bose, I replaced it with a Pioneer Dbl DIN (no NAV) with Crutchfield kit dedicated for my car's dash. I'm no electrical engineer (actually, I'm a mechanical) but the instructions were great and I also installed a rear backup camera (no guidelines though, would've been nice). Also, the DVD mode by-pass so that I can play them without the e-brake engaged (who's going to sit parked in their car just to play a video??). I'm sure the MDX is a lot more busy inside the dash than the Max, but it was a very satisfying project for me and all head unit modes including Bluetooth work as designed..... my son wants my car now
Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM
5th Gear

awesome job!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear

Help on adding double din 2010 Mdx

Originally Posted by MI6
Thank you for the kind comments. It was a heck of a job. It took about 40 hours of work but, looking back, I think I could do it in 10 now that I know what I am doing. An even better radio would only add to the fun.

It's worth nothing that (I *think*) you can splice a quality aftermarket backup camera with guide lines. There are three wires coming from the OEM camera: black, red, and white. Once it reaches the connector, about 7 or so different wires come out. This is a very sure sign that a relay is involved.

It could be difficult to splice in a simple $50-$100 license plate frame camera with color, guide lines, and infrared, but then again I am from the North. There are not many people who do this sort of thing where I live. When I lived in South Carolina, in Columbia, there were shops that had people that I swear were wizards with electronics.

FWIW I did splice it sort-of successfully before I went full-monty on the double-DIN install. The damned thing was I could only get it to work when the tailgate was up!!

Again, a relay issue but nothing an experienced car audio place couldn't perform I would imagine. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you know of places that have successfully spliced in an aftermarket back-up cam into OEM Nav electronics.

Cheers,
MI6

Wanted some help on how to custom on the rear , where the double din goes I measured and it's to big won't fit until I cut some parts out but it looks like it's the defroster
Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

Pics of custom defrost

Originally Posted by MI6
Well, I hope these pics upload. The first one shows the radio without the center vents.

The second picture portrays what it looks like from the interior. Note how the bottom of the vent piece surround sticks out at the bottom. This is because 3 of the 4 metal prongs that hold it in place I broke from the many, many times I took it off and put it back on.

The third picture I took before I was on my way to work. It shows my favorite band (Rush!) playing Tom Sawyer.

The fourth picture is awesome. You see, 2007 models don't have a reverse camera with guidelines. I think it wasn't until 2010 that this feature was added.

I have gigabytes of pictures taken both with my Nikon and my iPhone that go over the whole process. If you are interested in doing something like this...it's not easy. Really. It's a big PITA. I had to customize the defrost. If I had to do it again at least now I know what obstacles there are and I would know what not to do.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with the outcome. It looks very sharp, I never need to touch the touch screen (ever) because I have a remote, BlueTooth pairs beautifully, DVD's work great on the high-res screen, backing up at night is much easier with the multitude of infrared LED's and the guideline system (though it's aimed a bit high at the moment).

The sound is incredible. I have a mono amp driving to slim 12's that fit between the 3rd row seats and the tailgate and a four channel amp going to the rest of the system. This is the ELS system too and, through Acura electrical diagrams, found a way to get around that issue pretty easily.

This is a temp fix however, and I don't mean to sound cocky. My ultimate goal which I will start on next is making a fascia that fits just below the HVAC controls. That will be much more fun and there is a lot more room for a double din radio. I'll keep you informed when I start that project.

Do still have the pics of how you custom the defrost
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
wow that is legit. looks like OEM
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway you could email more of your pictures along the way. I am going to go for this same look, with a person I trust to do the install for me... What size radio is that or I want to buy one that will use the backup guides, etc. What needs to be on my grocery list. Thanks.
Waldem Mir (01-19-2020)
Old 11-21-2016, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MI6

Do still have the pics ???
Old 02-26-2017, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

did you need to replace the oreginal amp
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Originally Posted by chaouki
did you need to replace the oreginal amp
Holy resurrection I haven't seen this thread in ages. I actually did replace the stock amp I remember that much. I cut into the wires AFTER the stock amp (I think it's the black connector) and used the existing factory wiring. I assume you're talking about the speakers to the rest of the MDX, right? That must have been the easiest part of the job.

I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but looking back I just would have bought a newer MDX (the next gen). The amount of work for the double DIN took me nearly 100 hours of work and that was with all of the right tools.

If by chance someone does want to do this it can be done but I'll say upfront that the hardest part of all was working with the HVAC. I had to completely remove the front dashboard--everything--and custom make all new tubing to keep the heat and AC.

It's a winter project for sure or at least a project where you can either keep it locked up in the driveway or a garage and have a second car b/c the MDX will be out of commission for quite some time.

I could never understand why there wasn't an aftermarket setup until I saw the HVAC.

Looking back if I had the opportunity to do it all over again I would have created a setup that incorporated an iPad or Galaxy Note. That way Bluetooth would have taken care of all the hard work. But in electronic years I just wasn't satisfied with what was available on the market. Now we have CarPlay and Android Mirroring...

But getting back on subject I turned the stock amp into a boat anchor.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Anyy update on this setup, I have factory Navi and I would like to upgrade radio and camera for the rear.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Front screen?

Do you still have the front molding piece with the clear window? I’d like to purchase it if so, I managed to scratch mine.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is It Anyway to get the original radio out and put a aftermarket radio there even if it's a flip out would like to wire my 07 MDX with two Kicker 12s in a amp or can I do that factory. Would like to keep my GPS monitor/Maps active

Last edited by 19Ralph93; 01-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
[QUOTE=19Ralph93;16524191]Is It Anyway to get the original radio out and put a aftermarket radio there even if it's a flip out would like to wire my 07 MDX with two Kicker 12s in a amp or can I do that factory. Would like to keep my GPS monitor/Maps active
[/QUOTE
Reach out to this guy on Instagram, check out how he has done it.

View this post on Instagram

19Ralph93 (01-07-2020)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by technocrat
Reach out to this guy on Instagram, check out how he has done it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5EcNlzB..._web_copy_link
Old post, but has anyone done the trim panel mod to keep the factory nav button, when using a dbl din? I got the button out and the housing seems a bit big for the area on the back. And no i'm not on IG or FB...