05 MDX 204K miles. One concern... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 MDX 204K miles. One concern... HELP!!

I am looking at a nice 05 MDX and might buy it on Monday.

It is from a used lot, not by owner, and the guy on the lot is even selling it with up to a 1 year warranty because he is that confident in the engine/transmission on this thing. It does sound and feel great. Very responsive and nothing mechanically seems or feels wrong.

My my only concern and I’m being told this is most likely a minor thing...... when I hit any pothole or bump I hear clanking underneath, kind of like a rattle. It is definitely not coming from the rear or the front, definitely directly underneath. What do you guys thing? Most likely a loose exhaust and not a huge concern?

keep in mind I’m also looking for this car to only last me about a year, if it goes any longer that’s a plus.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by WillIBuyAnAcura
<div style="text-align:left;">I am looking at a nice 05 MDX and might buy it on Monday.<br /><br />It is from a used lot, not by owner, and the guy on the lot is even selling it with up to a 1 year warranty because he is that confident in the engine/transmission on this thing. It does sound and feel great. Very responsive and nothing mechanically seems or feels wrong.<br /><br />My my only concern and I’m being told this is most likely a minor thing...... when I hit any pothole or bump I hear clanking underneath, kind of like a rattle. It is definitely not coming from the rear or the front, definitely directly underneath. What do you guys thing? Most likely a loose exhaust and not a huge concern?<br /><br />keep in mind I’m also looking for this car to only last me about a year, if it goes any longer that’s a plus.<br /><br />Thanks.</div>
<br />FWIW: As you said, "most likely a loose exhaust". Not much under the center of the car that I'm aware of, would cause a "clanking" noise. If the noise is consistent, and easily duplicated, an exam of the under-body should reveal the cause. Any under-body noise over bumps IS A Major concern. I would also be concerned with the one year warranty!. What does this warranty cover, "ie" power train only? Is it a 50/50 type warranty, or a FULL warranty. Also, has the timing belt service been performed, easily a $600 to $1200 potential expense, and not likely covered by any warranty. So, some of the things I would do pre-purchase, are have them show you exactly what is causing the "clanking noise" over bumps, determine if the timing belt service has been performed, and clarify the exact terms of the warranty.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I don’t know about the timing belt. I will ask that. The warranty is for 3 months to 1 year if I pay a couple hundred extra and it covers any mechanical issues from $1,000-$1,500 depending on if I get the 3 mo or 1 yr.

i realize not not the best warranty but I feel like it does show the guy has faith in the car mechanically. I will continue to keep my options open thanks.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by WillIBuyAnAcura
Yeah I don’t know about the timing belt. I will ask that. The warranty is for 3 months to 1 year if I pay a couple hundred extra and it covers any mechanical issues from $1,000-$1,500 depending on if I get the 3 mo or 1 yr.

i realize not not the best warranty but I feel like it does show the guy has faith in the car mechanically. I will continue to keep my options open thanks.
Any 13 year old car is bound to have issues, regardless of miles. Just for peace of mind, you may want to consider taking the car to a local Acura dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. Such an inspection, can normally be performed for around $125.00. If the inspection doesn't disclose any manor issues, than I would feel much more confident in the purchase.