Best Way to Sleep in Your 2013 MDX

Old 12-27-2016, 09:18 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Sleep in Your 2013 MDX

I'm planning an epic road trip across the United States and want to be able to sleep in my MDX. I want to keep things simple and streamlined, so no tents or camper trailers. Was thinking of folding the back 2 rows down which barely fits my 6-foot frame. But I'm looking for best ideas on beds and mattresses. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also wondering if I can get my front driver and passenger seat to recline more completely horizontal.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
get a latex / foam mattress topper and a sleeping bag

https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...uiQaArxt8P8HAQ
Old 12-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wayne you did not specify if you are travelling alone or with a partner. If you are travelling with a partner, it will be a very tight fit. If you are travelling alone, it may be easier. I have slept in my MDX once during a boy scout camp out. If you intend to leave the engine running to get heat, you will use about ½ tank of gas overnight (FYI)
There are 2 sleeping positions I find ok

1. Sleeping in the driver’s seat. Tilt the steering up and back into the dashboard, set your seat as far back and recline as much as possible. It will feel like sleeping in business class on an airplane, bring blankets.

2. Sleeping diagonally in the back with the back 2 rows folded. My favorite is to put my head near the Drivers tail light, and my feet touching the back of the front passenger seat. A cheap 3 inch memory foam topper and a sleeping bag like Jake mentioned will work. Keep your car horizontal, or better, park on a slight incline, with the front of the car dipping down. Other wise you will wake up with a clogged nose in the morning. Get a battery powered Carbon Monoxide Detector and put it next to you https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-C.../dp/B000N8OYXI

Last edited by 2001TL4KCdude; 12-27-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-27-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I slept there alone and it was a tight fit for my 6"1 I had to sleep diagonally because If I wanted to sleep straight to the car my head had to rest in the rear row seat headrest which is incredibly hard from the rear (Seat folded down).
What we did when we were 2 was to put the MDX on a small decline just like "2001TL4KCdude" suggested but with the car shut off, This is because when the seats are folded there is a small decline to the rear. Then we slept facing to the front of the car (heads near the tailgate) and my feet slightly on the air, This way my Wife and I could sleep on the car and avoid a nasty Hotel Bill which we weren´t prepared for.

Since we didn´t know we will do this we didn´t have anything to sleep on top off... Yeah it was very uncomfortable but did the job for a single night.. If I were to do it again I would take some sleeping bags at least 2 for each of us.

Last edited by Skirmich; 12-27-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
I slept there alone and it was a tight fit for my 6"1 I had to sleep diagonally because If I wanted to sleep straight to the car my head had to rest in the rear row seat headrest which is incredibly hard from the rear (Seat folded down).
What we did when we were 2 was to put the MDX on a small decline just like "2001TL4KCdude" suggested but with the car shut off, This is because when the seats are folded there is a small decline to the rear. Then we slept facing to the front of the car (heads near the tailgate) and my feet slightly on the air, This way my Wife and I could sleep on the car and avoid a nasty Hotel Bill which we weren´t prepared for.

Since we didn´t know we will do this we didn´t have anything to sleep on top off... Yeah it was very uncomfortable but did the job for a single night.. If I were to do it again I would take some sleeping bags at least 2 for each of us.
I sometimes feel like the MDX is bloated for nothing. It really should have enough room inside to put a decent blow up mattress and space for 2 adults to sleep given its' size. I have never needed to sleep in my cars thankfully, but I think for my next car, this is something I want to take into consideration for the off chance I do go on a trip somewhere and need to.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 PM

I always felt the MDX is smaller (Length wise) than what it is and according to Alex on Autos it really is small... I cant for the love of god fit into the 3rd Row, The 2nd Row wont back up into place because my Knees wont allow it to.
So the MDX looks way bigger from the outside partially because of the Gigantic width but it really isn´t that Long to make it a Comfortable Tent for small Adventures but hey! Try to sleep in the front seats of the TL hahahaha it can be worse, Way worse.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I always felt the MDX is smaller (Length wise) than what it is and according to Alex on Autos it really is small... I cant for the love of god fit into the 3rd Row, The 2nd Row wont back up into place because my Knees wont allow it to.
So the MDX looks way bigger from the outside partially because of the Gigantic width but it really isn´t that Long to make it a Comfortable Tent for small Adventures but hey! Try to sleep in the front seats of the TL hahahaha it can be worse, Way worse.
It looks so much smaller than it actually is from the side view, partially because of the styling (which I love) but that monster width is what makes it seem huge sometimes. I was shocked when I found that the MDX is WIDER than a BMW X5! That really shocked me. I used to love it being so wide, until I realized how difficult it is to park in some spaces...oh well, the exercise from the long walk to the store is nice! Acura called the MDX a 4+3 vehicle...like they knew it was super tight (I think it's even partially due to how large the second row seats are, seriously, have you noticed how plush and well padded the second row is? I haven't tried sitting in the third row, but at 5'11 (6'1 with shoes) I doubt I could do it.

Haha does the rear row fold down exposing the trunk in the TL? I would pack myself into the trunk and rear seats lol.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 AM

I love how wide the MDX is, I think is the main reason is so good in corners (well add SH-AWD too) but its a joy to drive in the city, I have less Parking issues with my MDX than my TLs... The MDX can fit in the same spot as a CIVIC! For Crying out loud!!! My TL needs the Length of a Crown Victoria to fit and then its Turning Radius is atrocious to maneuver it, The MDX is my City warrior all day hands down, But my TLs is insanely Faster and more fun to drive.

Yeah I sat in the 2nd row before and its pretty good... Sadly there is no horizontal adjustment to the seats which will make the 3rd row useable for adults (They fixed that in the 3rd gen I believe).

And Nope the seats are bolted to the chassis and there is a giant X metal beam anyway behind them in the TL.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I love how wide the MDX is, I think is the main reason is so good in corners (well add SH-AWD too) but its a joy to drive in the city, I have less Parking issues with my MDX than my TLs... The MDX can fit in the same spot as a CIVIC! For Crying out loud!!! My TL needs the Length of a Crown Victoria to fit and then its Turning Radius is atrocious to maneuver it, The MDX is my City warrior all day hands down, But my TLs is insanely Faster and more fun to drive.

Yeah I sat in the 2nd row before and its pretty good... Sadly there is no horizontal adjustment to the seats which will make the 3rd row useable for adults (They fixed that in the 3rd gen I believe).

And Nope the seats are bolted to the chassis and there is a giant X metal beam anyway behind them in the TL.
I miss the Honda that built the 2G MDX, it is so damn wide with nice 255 wide tires, SH-AWD, a 300hp engine, really aggressive looks. Too bad they suck now. Have you ever driven a 1G RDX? That is hands down the funnest thing I have ever driven. I still miss driving it. I'm currently debating selling and getting a 2009+ infiniti FX. I really like the RWD biased platform and the interior looks and feels amazing. But I am not so sure it won't be just as hard as the MDX to drive for me.

Our 2007 (and current 2009) santa fe have levers on the second row allowing the back to recline to a pretty well reclined angle. They also have vents in the B pillars for read passengers...Hyundai knew what they were doing back then, Acura missed the boat on that one IMHO.

Yeesh, I do not want to find out what sleeping in a TLs feels like haha.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 AM

Never been really interested in the RDX mainly because of how it looks.. Its a deal breaker for me...
I´ve seen those Infinity´s FX and I don´t really like the design of them, I think they are very well equipped and built and obviously RWD Glory but that childish curved design kills it for me... But hey Tastes are entirely Subjective!.

I will wait and see how the market move, I am not the type of guy that pulls the trigger on new cars every year so I am fine (No monthly payments for me).
I expect at least 5yrs of service with the MDX until I can save enough money and move on and if everything goes right plans are to get a BMW X6 M, But I will settle for a ZDX
Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Never been really interested in the RDX mainly because of how it looks.. Its a deal breaker for me...
I´ve seen those Infinity´s FX and I don´t really like the design of them, I think they are very well equipped and built and obviously RWD Glory but that childish curved design kills it for me... But hey Tastes are entirely Subjective!.

I will wait and see how the market move, I am not the type of guy that pulls the trigger on new cars every year so I am fine (No monthly payments for me).
I expect at least 5yrs of service with the MDX until I can save enough money and move on and if everything goes right plans are to get a BMW X6 M, But I will settle for a ZDX
I have to agree with you, the front end is not the prettiest thing, but man the rear end is awesome looking and the way it darts around is awesome. 6.3 0-60 is not bad at all. However the interior is also a really big high point for me, I love the layout with the giant console armrest. I agree on the FX being a bit too much, the 2G are way nicer looking from the rear, however the front is a bit much, But for me it's all about the engines and interiors of the 2G. Can't imagine sleeping in one would be very fun though.

The MDX is built to last, I would like to find a car that I can settle down with (haha) and the MDX was supposed to be that car, but every couple weeks I find myself on the fence and it's because it really is such a nice and luxurious car, but it is a LOT of car for me. I LOVE the X6, ZDX, and mostly the new gle coupe (LOVE this thing). I don't know if I could see myself in a ZDX though, it's also a huge car for me
Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah the front end of the car isn't the best looking but compare that to the awful redesign of Toyota and Lexus... lol. A friend has an rdx 2.3 turbo, timing chain, plenty of power with 4 banger relIability and the optional real wood inserts which looks great, red hardwood in black interior is very high end looking.

I make a yearly 3k mile round trip to see family, this year I plan to save the 2 hotel night in route and sleep in the mdx. I have a fold out couch at home with a very nice thick mattress and found that it fits perfectly in the mdx lol, just put down 2nd row and good to go. Probably could fit 2 skinny people comfortably. Just make sure you have tinted windows
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The MDX is built to last, I would like to find a car that I can settle down with (haha) and the MDX was supposed to be that car, but every couple weeks I find myself on the fence and it's because it really is such a nice and luxurious car, but it is a LOT of car for me. I LOVE the X6, ZDX, and mostly the new gle coupe (LOVE this thing). I don't know if I could see myself in a ZDX though, it's also a huge car for me
In the long term the ZDX is going to be collectible since it's so rare, yet still serviceable. Yes, I said that weird looking thing is going to be COLLECTIBLE.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tosh
In the long term the ZDX is going to be collectible since it's so rare, yet still serviceable. Yes, I said that weird looking thing is going to be COLLECTIBLE.
These threads really go off on tangents.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try finding an awning wall. It's a special three sided tent contraption that allows you to back your SuV into it. Not as involved as a full blown tent. And there's always the roof tent. I know you didn't want a camper trailer or a tent, but unless you're by yourself or both of you are 5'6'', the epic road trip will quickly turn into an endurance event. Roof tents are quick to setup and keep you up off the ground. But most importantly, they keep you comfortable and set up and break down quickly.

Search this Thread