Just purchased 2.5 TL - lotsa pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
98 Blue 2.5 TL 200,050 mi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Just purchased 2.5 TL - lotsa pics!!

Hi all - just got a TL off craigslist for a VERY good deal. To make sure, I paid for a pre-sale inspection and CARFAX (autocheck.com, actually) for the car. Everything looked good, so I bought it. Wow, what a car! It does have higher miles, though (198,000).

Okay, get ready for a BUNCH of pics and also a BUNCH of questions..please bear with me.

Here it is after a good clean and buffing:

And before, when I first bought it:

ICKY floor mats, no??

finishing this up..

still working on it.. (holding places for more text/pics)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Why are you holding places? You can't edit after 5 minutes anyhow.

~Cheers~
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Sorry about that - NEWBIE here didn't know :|
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
So how much did you put out for the baby?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 PM

Hi all - just got a TL off craigslist for a VERY good deal. To make sure, I paid for a pre-sale inspection and CARFAX (autocheck.com, actually) for the car. Everything looked good, so I bought it. Wow, what a car! It does have higher miles, though (198,000).

Okay, get ready for a BUNCH of pics and also a BUNCH of questions..please bear with me.

I think this will be a three-section post for me:

1. Initial pictures
  2. My DIY chrome shift plate (credits go to this forum!! :P ) and center console cleaning job
  3. My questions
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any harm done to you, your equipment, or others by practicing any methods described anywhere in any of my posts. Including this one.

Some initial pics..

Here it is after a good clean and buffing:

And before, when I first bought it:

ICKY floor mats, no??

My DIY chrome shifter plate and cleaning job:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

A little background:

I decided to clean the whole center console thingy since I was ripping the whole thing out to 'chromify' the shifter plate. This was pretty easy..the only challenging thing was the marbled plastic - I thought it would break for sure. To remove it, a lot of bending and force was required (notice the large tab on the back end of the panel farther down the page [cupholder pic]).

The whole center console had coffee and other sugar-oriented substances on some of the surfaces. Here's some dirt for 'ya:

simm says YUCK:

Oh wow

So on to actually cleaning..

I filled up the sink with hot water and dish soap and started cleaning with a regular dishcloth. Actually, I first attempted to remove the paint from the shifter plate with Oops:

Right. So I found the paint 'remover' (Bix Paint STRIPPER). Nice. That stuff hurts (read: burns) your hands after a while of handling it..gloves next time.

A little DIY info here:

By the way, after I was done cleaning the plastic pieces (after the plate sat for 30 minutes or so), that paint came off the shift plate so easy! I really didn't need any scrapers! My fingers just pushed it off. Make sure you cover all the surfaces you want the paint removed from liberally so that it comes off easy.

DON'T use a kitchen green-and-yellow scrub pad (unless you like the 'brushed look'):

I like:

Installed:

Back to the cleaning job..

Basically, I cleaned every little part there was. Tips for cleaning would be to NOT use the scrub pad on plastics such as the gear indicator plate (P, R, N, D4, etc.) - it will end up looking like mine (see pics). Just let those coffee spills soak for a while. If you do accidentally scrub something, buff it out with a paper towel on a hard surface or rubbing like crazy the part on a soft towel. Probably better ways, but my gear indicator plate looked a tad nicer after the paper towel trick.

Try not to get water in the cupholder slowing gear thingys - they're not made for 'weather'. The oil/lube is probably not that great at repelling water.

Before removing the cigarette lighter piece, unscrew the whole front black piece. I had to epoxy the little tab sticking down from the cigarette cover because I tried to remove it without first unscrewing the bottom plate.

If you have a sticky 'push-and-click' mechanism used in the cup holder, soak it in the hot water while you are cleaning the other stuff. Then when you're done with everything except that piece, swish it under water and click-in and click-out it over and over. When finished, add some oil:

After cleaning and drying all the console components, I vacuumed and cleaned all the mechanics and carpet first (see pics above for comparison):

The finished product for my DIY shift plate and center console clean job:

Hope that helps some people maybe in the shift plate mod and/or center cleaning arena.

Okay,
My Questions

1) My wipers seem REALLY loose with lots of play - so they don't go completely to the left edge of the windshield...what to do?

2) The previous owner mentioned something about two bolts missing from part of the muffler so it's a little louder than normal (but not like one of those trashy-sounding civics ). He said it was something with the valve that controls which pipe to go to. Hmm - what's/where's the fix here?

3) Do I have a bent hood? I've adjusted the 'hood stops', but it's like the hood is bowed so the edges stick up and bounce while driving (bouncing hood syndrome).

4) Should I fix this roof antennae disconnect? And how??

5) Take a look at the picture again. Now look at this. Clipped wires. Right. Now this can't be good..

Number 2 (roof antennae?) looks like the same type of connections as the picture above. Number 1 (14 wire thing) is what?? I noticed both my dome light speakers (mids) and dash tweets don't work...does this have something to do with it?

Both number 1 and number 2 come out of the carpet as far as I know. What are these things for? I will be replacing my head unit next week (waiting for sub and wiring harness) - do you think this is something connected to my speaker problems?

6) Leatherique could fix this maybe? Both crack 1 and crack 2? And crack 3 is vinyl (non-DIYable), right? What about the steering wheel?

7) How should I approach this bumper body blemish?

8) Are these fluids okay to use - in the future as well?

9) LAST ONE - Is this the location of the AICV (air intake control valve)? I couldn't find the DIY for cleaning the 1G TL AICV - could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much - I'm going to really enjoy this car! Sorry about the EXTREMELY long post :P

TO MOD: please delete original post and make this first if possible. Didn't know the 5min time limit on editing posts.
The following users liked this post:
TLDavey (11-20-2011)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mandy
So how much did you put out for the baby?
He was asking $1500...knocked it down to $1400 (because of busted CD player, low fluids, and leather condition) which he accepted.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I like the shifter and how clean your console is! Just wondering, though, why didn't you remove the entire console, but popped out the wood instead? I always remove the entire thing myself. Makes it easier if I drop a screw or something, haha.

~Cheers~
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM

How do you remove the whole thing?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The IACV is to the right of what you circled. You see the goldish metal plate on there with two screws? take the screws off and clean all the moving parts inside. You have to unscrew the adjustment and remove it. This also adjusts the idle when you start the car, so you need to adjust it after to make sure its not too high or too low. tighter is lower idle and looser is higher idle at cold start up.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 PM

@ds - thanks SO much! So there isn't a way to actually remove the assembly? I have to clean it under the hood??
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the one u circle is air idle control valve I think

Welcome aboard
Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice car, clean car! It's also nice to see that you take initiative and start cleaning and whatnot
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
Nice job! Very detailed with pictures. You should use Honda type 2 coolant
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DAiNiUS
Nice car, clean car! It's also nice to see that you take initiative and start cleaning and whatnot
Thanks! Know where to get some nice floor mats instead of my 'custom' carpet?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Nice job! Very detailed with pictures. You should use Honda type 2 coolant
Thanks Marc. Can I get the Honda coolant from Napa or Advanced Auto Parts or do I have to go to a dealer for that??
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Anyone interested in answering some of my questions? It would be nice to know what those clipped wires are and also where the AICV REALLY is. (Two contradicting posts up there?..)

I am installing my new stereo (head unit) next week when the mounting bracket, harness, and sub come. Do those wires have anything to do with the head unit/speakers?

BTW, I ripped out the stock HU and tore the whole thing apart down to the CD player to try to fix the CDP-E0 (or CDPEO or CDPE0 or whatever). To no avail. I've used a laser cleaner, too. Probably put it on the 'bay.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
What you have circled is the electronic air control valve. What desired_speeds told you is the idle air control valve.

Nice write-ups and pics for the DIYs! Is it a '97 or '98?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks main! So I clean out the crud from the IACV...what can/should I do with the EACV?

This is a '98.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome to the board.

For the seat, just replace it. You can find one in a salvage yard.

For the steering wheel, just get a nice cover. I got one that has the "wood grain look" and black on it. It flows with the interior really well.

The shift plate looks beautiful.

Just have the bumper repainted.

Polish your headlights if you want to get them back to having that extreme shine that they once had.

Debadge it!

Here is some criticism...

GET RID OF THE GOLD! Replace with the chrome trim and emblems. You can also get that at a salvage yard and won't be too much. IMO it would look a lot nicer but to each their own.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:16 PM

Mike, thanks

Seats are expensive!! :'( Should I even try Leatherique?

How can I do the bumper myself - where do I get the paint?

How do I polish my headlights?? They're kind of worn off on the top (not as shiny).

lol, I don't really favor the gold either...why is it there anyways? Is this a 'premium' version? It can't be because it doesn't have heated seats! ..?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Man, you are having fun restoring that baby! Good for you! Keep at it!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Originally Posted by simm
Mike, thanks

How do I polish my headlights?? They're kind of worn off on the top (not as shiny).

lol, I don't really favor the gold either...why is it there anyways? Is this a 'premium' version? It can't be because it doesn't have heated seats! ..?
Get seat covers....search...there's a bunch out there on fleabay, not bad looking! They have leather seat covers, too! Good luck!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Headlamps....try BRAZZO (or BRASSO), it is a metal cleaner. Works like a charm. Apply, buff and wipe clean.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Chrome cleaners work, too. A lot of elbow grease needed. But well worth it!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:33 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice work so far! Congrats on the new car.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mandy
Headlamps....try BRAZZO (or BRASSO), it is a metal cleaner. Works like a charm. Apply, buff and wipe clean.
Thanks Mandy! So I use metal polish on the actual plastic headlight?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by princelybug
Nice work so far! Congrats on the new car.
princelybug, thanks - I will enjoy it! Can't wait for the HU mounting stuff and sub
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted by simm
Mike, thanks

I found a seat for $100 at a salvage yard and then another one on craigslist for $85! I just have to wait until after the holidays to pick it up.

Here is a DIY on the headlights.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4252611.html

Gold and chrome trim came as an option on our cars and all Acuras.

You can get them all replaced and you can DIY. The hardest one would be the one around the plate. Everything else is extremely easy to replace.

You have the premium version of the 2.5 because the premium 2.5s have the wheels that you have.

I have the base 2.5 but I added the "wood grain" center console because it looks nicer IMO instead of the black one.

You can repair the bumper if you know how to do it. You just need to get the paint from Acura and have the tools and materials needed to do it.

Just a few words of motivation.
My car was in that kind of condition when I first got it. Then after I put time, effort, love, and motivation, I got it to where it is now.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM

Wow - I'll keep my eyes open for one on CL.

Thanks for that DIY on the headlights - PM has lots of good articles I didn't realize!

I can't 'chromify' the gold accents like I did the shift plate, right? I they're all plastic. Right now, I'm just looking mainly to get it as reliable and spiffy as possible. Extra dodadds that I have pay big bucks for is blah to me.

Ugh! These are premium wheels?! I like the other ones (like you have) way better! Is there any way to fix that corrosion (DIY'able?)?

I looked on PM and they have an article on repairing cracks in plastic bumpers...might follow that for the bumper paint job. Any suggestions with that and also repairing small nicks in the paint? What about little bits of rust creeping up?

Thanks for those words of motivation. :P That's exactly what I want to do - particularly the AICV DIY cleanout and other things to make it run better.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Okay, I'm not being desperate here - just reposting my questions that got lost a while back there..

See pictures and corresponding questions above for clarification.

1) My wipers seem REALLY loose with lots of play - so they don't go completely to the left edge of the windshield...what to do?

2) The previous owner mentioned something about two bolts missing from part of the muffler so it's a little louder than normal (but not like one of those trashy-sounding civics ). He said it was something with the valve that controls which pipe to go to. Hmm - what's/where's the fix here?

3) Do I have a bent hood? I've adjusted the 'hood stops', but it's like the hood is bowed so the edges stick up and bounce while driving (bouncing hood syndrome).

4) Should I fix this roof antennae disconnect? And how??

5) Clipped wires. Right. Now this can't be good.. Do you think this is something connected to my speaker problems?

6) Leatherique could fix this maybe? Both crack 1 and crack 2? And crack 3 is vinyl (non-DIYable), right? What about the steering wheel? - ANSWERED (get new seat possibly)

7) How should I approach this bumper body blemish? - ANSWERED (following this PM tutorial)

8) Are these fluids okay to use - in the future as well? ALMOST ANSWERED (oil - good or not?)

9) LAST ONE - Is this the location of the AICV (air intake control valve)? I couldn't find the DIY for cleaning the 1G TL AICV - could someone point me in the right direction? - ANSWERED

Thanks a TON for the replies - I really appreciate the help and ideas!!

I might do a timelapse of the headlight polishing......
Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Is it the windshield wiper arm or the blade?

I think that is how the hood is suppose to look but I will check tomorrow when it is light out.

Which speakers are not working? The rear? Mine haven't worked for some time now and I don't know what it is. The speakers are brand new and I know that they are getting power because if I fade it to the back the tweeters work.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Your hood may just be the adjustable rubber stop. There is one at each corner.
The oil you chose is fine. Justr about any well known 5w-30 should be good.
The Honda/Acura coolant can be had at any Honda or Acura dealer. It is already 50/50 pre-mixed and is about $17 a gallon.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

IMO radiator coolant is radiator coolant. If it is 50/50 and a well known brand then I'll buy it.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by TLin401
Is it the windshield wiper arm or the blade?

I think that is how the hood is suppose to look but I will check tomorrow when it is light out.

Which speakers are not working? The rear? Mine haven't worked for some time now and I don't know what it is. The speakers are brand new and I know that they are getting power because if I fade it to the back the tweeters work.
It's the actual wiper arm. There is about 4-5" of play like they're slightly stripped.

The dome mids and dash tweets are not working.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
Your hood may just be the adjustable rubber stop. There is one at each corner.
The oil you chose is fine. Justr about any well known 5w-30 should be good.
The Honda/Acura coolant can be had at any Honda or Acura dealer. It is already 50/50 pre-mixed and is about $17 a gallon.
As stated in my post, I adjusted those rubber stops, but the hood is 'bowed' so that the middle is lower than the rest - is this normal and how to fix?

Alright, thanks for that answer about the oil.

So you're saying don't use the coolant I bought? I realize I have to mix it first.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:59 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

When you say "play" you mean that they are sort of stripped of the black color correct?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:53 AM

No, I mean I can move the wipers back and forth about 4-5" without the wiper motor on. This play causes the wipers (when actually running) to go only part way to the edge of the windshield, causing a visibility problem.

Also, any suggestions as to what paint to use for the wipers being worn of paint?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLin401
IMO radiator coolant is radiator coolant. If it is 50/50 and a well known brand then I'll buy it.
Most coolants now do not contain silicates, but I prefer to use the Honda stuff. I have seen other brands gel up after a couple of years and corrode around the water pump gaskets, etc. This is a document from Honda back in '95-
http://www.in.acura.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A950500.PDF

Quick Reply: Just purchased 2.5 TL - lotsa pics!!