Would you please help diagnose an automatic transmission problem and suggest a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 04:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Would you please help diagnose an automatic transmission problem and suggest a fix?

My steep driveway is about 15 degrees and 70ft long. My 223k mile 2005 MDX (usually in D5) would decelerate to a stop somewhere on my driveway. Even if I floor the gas, engine speed doesn't go beyond 2000 rpm. After I rev the engine for some time (less than a minute), A/T TEMP light comes on. The car would still climb after I shift to 1. I think the transmission fails to down shift when climbing a hill, stuck at certain high gear, clutch slips, and ATF temperature goes way up. Other than this, driving on local streets and highways is still normal.

I looked up the Automatic Transmission Symptom Troubleshooting Index in the service manual but couldn't match my problem with a listed symptom. I plan to pull DTCs at O’Reilly tomorrow but doubt I'd get any as D5 didn't blink; MIL (Check Engine) didn't come on.

Any help in diagnosing the problem is appreciated! If a diagnostic tool may help, would you please recommend it?
Old 08-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Your clutch packs (for different gears) are probably worn beyond the minimum tolerances.
You need to look into replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one now or it will soon die with melted / welded clutch discs and pads.
A/T TEMP signals a serious problem internally associated with slipping clutches and severe overheating.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DundukovEM
Your clutch packs (for different gears) are probably worn beyond the minimum tolerances.
You need to look into replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one now or it will soon die with melted / welded clutch discs and pads.
A/T TEMP signals a serious problem internally associated with slipping clutches and severe overheating.
Thank you for your help, DundukovEM! I guess the end is inevitable. This car has been with me for the last 15 years going through life’s ups and downs. I certainly hope she’s not going down too soon. She’s still driving fine on roads. There’re no codes. The clutch slipping just started to happen recently, maybe once every 15-20 climbs on my steep driveway. Based on the fact that she could still climb when shifted to 1, may I suspect the problem was more like not down shifting in time? I plan to test the 7 solenoids on the transmission and see if any of the oil screens has blockage. Please let me know if there are other places I should investigate.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A rebuilt transmission will cost $2.5-3k plus $1k+/- labor to replace it. See if it's worth it or not.