What should I expect to pay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What should I expect to pay?

Hi all. We've settled on buying the MDX w/ Technology and Entertainment packages and our local dealer has the colors we want. So the question is: what should I expect to pay? According to Edmunds, MSRP is $49,390 and the invoice is $45,351. I've never purchased an Acura so I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is at or around invoice. When I got my Audi A4 a few years ago, I was able to get a couple hundred under invoice due to dealer incentives, but I've heard/read that Acura doesn't offer such incentives to get close to invoice.

Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated. We're in Northern California if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
find out edmund's true market value. that is the avg for what people have paid for the car in your area.

always, negotiate the price of the car as close to invoice as possible. very few dealers will go under invoice since acura is higher up on the market value and dealer can sell the car above invoice b/c people are willing to buy them at those prices.

it also works to your advantage to go to a high volume selling acura dealer. they will be more willing to eat commission earned on one vehicle to make a bigger bonus by selling another car off their lot.

bottomline, how much are you willing to pay? in the end you have to be happy with the price you end up paying regardless of what others have purchased their cars for.

when i bought my TL in 05, i got the car for $5 over invoice on the last day of the month and quarter. the car was only on the dealer lot for 4 days but my name was already on it when it arrived on the truck.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Thanks, TLtrigirl. Yeah, the TMV price is $47,993 which seemed a bit high but like I said, I'm comparing that to my Audi (I guess I expected to pay closer to invoice rather than closer to MSRP). I hear you about being happy with whatever price I'm willing to pay...I just want to make sure I get the price possible.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
well TMV...is the avg. my other half used this line when the dealer tried to tell us the TMV was the "avg." avg to me means that some people paid more, and some people paid less. why can't we be one of the ones that pays less? yeah he had the sales mgr speechless since he kept coming back at him with completely reasonable answers that he wasn't going to lose money, when in fact he would still make money...just not on the sale (ie service, and the interest on the loan for that matter). hence we got $5 over invoice. heh heh...
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-07-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Acura of Pleasanton is a high VOLUME Selling dealership and have always beaten other bay area dealership on prices....
Old 09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, Fabvsix. Yeah, I looked and according to their web site, they only have 2 MDX's in stock, both have the Advanced package and not the colors we want. Which actually leads me to another question: do the dealer web sites show an accurate count of their stock?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
not usually. plus they can do a dealer swap for what you want. give them a call and ask if they have what you want, or show up
Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
No of course not! Those salesman are snakes in the grass when it comes to Honda/Acura inventory! They will lie threw their teeth....they each carry a knife to stab their partners....best way is to walk in and snoop around then ask for the Sales Manager. Look em dead in the eye and tell them exactly what you are looking for....or you could email each dealership in the bay area. Email the "internet manager" who really knows the inventory (what's coming etc...truck wise) and whats "IN THE BACK" vs. what is on the lot.....let them quote you the best they can do....down side is you don't know where your vehicle may come from...I personally like em fresh off the truck with a call when the truck just pulled in to the dealership. I then go and wait for it and let them know I'm waiting...I also ask them NOT to wash the vehicle.....leaving some of the shipping panels on is fine too! I'm picky....The owner of Pleasanton Acura also owns the Concord Dealership but their prices are a bit higher.....but they can exchange vehicles etc....
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. Spent the better part of the day going back and forth between the various dealers (over email) and finally settled on one at Audi of Concord. They were able to beat the best price I could get.

Fabvsix, I'm with you...however the car is for my wife and she wanted it detailed. Since I didn't actually get to the dealer till almost 4:00, will have to wait for tomorrow to pick it up (they also needed to install the running boards).
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fender4645
Hi all. We've settled on buying the MDX w/ Technology and Entertainment packages and our local dealer has the colors we want. So the question is: what should I expect to pay? According to Edmunds, MSRP is $49,390 and the invoice is $45,351. I've never purchased an Acura so I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is at or around invoice. When I got my Audi A4 a few years ago, I was able to get a couple hundred under invoice due to dealer incentives, but I've heard/read that Acura doesn't offer such incentives to get close to invoice.

Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated. We're in Northern California if that helps.

Thanks!
Since the MDX is Acura's best selling vehicle you are not going to get as good a deal as say you would on the ZDX, which is not selling at all at any price it seems. Therefore, you are going to have to pay what the dealer is willing to let it go for. Remember, in the car buying game the car dealer always wins, just like in Vegas where the house has the advantage. As long as you can negotiate a deal you are happy with is all the matters, even if the dealer is making the $2K s/he needs to stay in business. Good luck.