What do you guys think of the new 2014 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking What do you guys think of the new 2014 mdx?

Hi everyone I just came from my dealership to made a oil change on my car I have a 2011 mdx advance , wile I was there waiting I test drive the new mdx and to be honest I like mine better all the way outside and inside , the inside of the new feels cheap and bigger I just don't feel it feels cold empty and cheap, the outside looks fine I like the front grille of the old one than the new one , the back I love my exaust it gives the car a nice sport look the new has two red deflectors that I don't really like it and on the road the 2011 feels strong and you can feel like youre driving a sport suv no om the new one what do you guys feel!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Tufino,

My opinion of the new MDX is that I love it. Last week I had to take my 2013 MDX in to have a faulty tensioner belt and alternator replaced. While it was at the dealership for 3 days they gave me a 2014 MDX SH-AWD w/ Tech as a loaner. Being able to have an extended drive with the car the more I drove it the more I loved it.

Appearance/Interior:

I love the look with the Jewel Eye headlights and think it is a very attractive SUV. I think it is much more attractive in person and does not have that “wagonish” look that you see in pictures. I was not thrilled that they removed the visible exhaust but I do not think the reflectors look bad. I think it is very attractive but definitely lost some of the aggression of the previous generation. The interior is where I noticed a large change from the previous generation. The interior on the new MDX is awesome in my opinion. I thought that the materials were good quality and I loved the overall look (Other than no cover on the cupholders. Really Acura? Saved what, $20.)

Technology:

There is far more technology in the 2014 vs. 2013 (expected). I loved having the blind spot monitors and utilized them frequently. I loved the duel screen arrangement and thought that the interface worked fairly well but it did have its issues. With it being winter, I utilized the seat heaters every time I drove it. I could't believe how distracting it was to have to use the touch screen and go into the menu to activate the seat heater when a simple button would do. I feel that I am extremely tech savvy and the new MDX initially overwhelmed me (took me several minutes to figure out how to put the climate control in Auto until I realized there was a physical button right in front of my face!). I think the system the potential to grow on you once you own it for a while but it was frustrating to me in the few days I had it and I have read several others stating the same thing.

I also felt that the LDW was a little over sensitive and if I owned the car I would probably turn it off (it did let me know that I apparently hug the left side of my lane so maybe it’s a good teaching tool).

The Jewel-Eye headlights were fantastic when not using the high beams. They had good range both to the front and side of the car. My issue with the high beams is that they are very focused to the front of the car. In my current MDX when the high beams are on it lights up everything. These just seemed to shine further down the road. Still, with its "warts", I liked the and technology far more than that in my 2013.

Driving Dynamics:

I loved the driving dynamics of the new MDX. It felt sporty but also had more of a car vs. truck ride of my 2013. I loved the IDS system and I personally felt it made a difference in the “personality” of the car (Sadly the suspension is not adaptive. I do feel for the price of the MDX it should have more gears but my guess is we will see that in the mid-cycle refresh (TLX 9spd).

Overall I loved the 2014 MDX while I had it. So much so that I'm now deciding whether my next car will be a 2015 MDX or 2016 TLX. The MDX has the advantage right now as I love the versatility of an SUV. If the TLX doesn’t totally draw me in I’ll have a 2015 MDX in my driveway come Sept/Oct. I do love my current 2013 MDX but the 2014 has many more tech features that to me are worth the trade. I think Acura did an excellent job and I look forward to the direction they are heading.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just completed back to back 7000 km drives with a 2011 MDX elite and a 2014 MDX tech.
Some conclusions:

At 75mph got 21 mpg with '11 and 25mpg with '14

'14 quieter and more comfortable than '11

Nav system worse on '14, can't scroll through options, must be at a standstill to scroll. Frustrates passenger doing the scrolling looking for hotels to no end. Display too light, hard to see.

Glove box is a joke - small, lid has no sides, everything falls out.

Centre console better, more storage.

'11 had too many buttons on dash, still easier to use than second screen. Slowly getting used to it. Too much time with eyes off the road. Must get used to more voice commands, I guess, although results from commands are sometimes rather random.

Can get a little more stuff in back of '14, better for long trips. Second row has more room.

Sun visors do not extend, leaving a very annoying 2 inch gap along side window. Good grief, even the cheapest cars have sun visors that slide a bit.

Was ready to return it because of a fairly loud noise, sounded like ice in the wheel well or a large piece of plastic vibrating, noticeable bewteen 30-90 k/hr. Lasted 1-2 seconds, variable in loudness, sometimes every 10-20 seconds. Finally took the plastic shroud off from just above the radiator (the one with the duct to the air intake), threw it in the trunk, and have found blissful silence. Acura tech says should be OK, will bring it to dealer whenI get home.

Keyless ignition is great, didn't think I'd like it, but love it.

Seems more susceptible to turbulence (eg: behind semis) or crosswinds.

Looks beautiful, much sleeker than '11.

Conclusion?? I loved the '11, I like the 14. Put 95000 km on the '11 in less that 3 years, so this one will probably grow on me. For 1000 km days, it is quieter and smoother, and I certainly don't have to stop for gas as often, which is really nice.
The following users liked this post:
NJ06RL (01-20-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brought the 3G TL in today for servicing and checked out the '14 MDX's, one Tech & one Elite (Canadian Advance).

2014 Pros: Bigger, leather is softer, seats are much more comforatable, huge rear entertainment screen, heated steering wheel, cool jewel LED lights.

2014 Cons: Feels lower to the ground than the 2G MDX and more mini van like, wood trim looks cheap, missing rear exhausts, looks weird without fog lights, all three trim level wheels are meh, no Umber interior.

My father has a '13 Elite Black on Umber and I find it to be much more aggressive looking but the 2014 still looks great though. He could have gotten the 2014, but the 2013 Black on Umber color combo, $10,000 cash incentive, $2000 demo rebate and no charge sport running boards was too good to resist!

Last edited by chackhou; 01-21-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
We moved from a 2011 MDX to a 2014 model recently. With the transition from SH-AWD to a FWD model, the biggest disappointment with the newer model is the driving dynamics, which lack the shockingly tossable feel of the previous generation, but everything else about the 2014 is better. The interior is much nicer and feels significantly more spacious, the exterior design is a toss-up with each having their own highlights, but I really like the Jewel Eye LED lights. Noise is significantly reduced, the seats are more comfortable, fuel economy is much higher, and as much as some people complain about the new infotainment setup, I genuinely like it better than most.

Overall, I think the 2014 is an improvement over the last generation model.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I squint when I look at the '14's from the side and rear, they look like the Odyssey minivan. They really made it more bland. Its lower too, doesn't look like it has enough clearance.
It definitely, is tepid. I do like the headlights. Haven't seen the interior in person, but if they skimped on materials, then a bad choice.
To me it seems to miss the mark a bit, I don't know who the target audience is anymore. If its the same as before, then I fear Acura will lose out to something flashier and with higher grade interiors.
But, I'm not speaking from direct contact with the vehicle.
I like the 2G and 1G better in looks.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
I like the 2g better in looks. Although the 3g looks decent as well.
The 3g is faster and far smoother than the 2g.
I like the interiot a little better in the 2g, the multiple LED screens are irritating on the 3G.
Gas mileage was much better on the 2014 IMO. I think the 2014 is overall a better vehicle.