Wanted: Lessons Learned - Going from 2002 TL to 2012 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanted: Lessons Learned - Going from 2002 TL to 2012 MDX

I'm considering finally upgrading from my 2002 TL Type-S w/Navi to a new 2012 MDX Advance. The TL only has 105k on it, but after 10 years of great performance I'm looking for something new. (Yes, only 105k in 10yrs.)

I've completely loved driving the TL over the years, but would like the versatility of the MDX. I've had great experience with the Acura dealers and their products, so staying in that family suits me just fine. The other options I've looked at from other manufacturers just don't quite fit the way I think the MDX will.

Having said that, can anyone shed some light on their experiences of going from a TL to an MDX? I know that an SUV isn't going to perform like a sedan, and the obvious differences (reduced gas mileage, etc) as well, but I'm looking for some of the non-obvious things that anyone has realized after such a move that might help me in my decision (both good and bad!) Thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Went from a 2000 TL w/ 103 K miles to 2011 MDX Advance last year.
A total class difference.
Just drive less agressive in the MDX to increase MPG {I get 17 city}
and prevent tipovers on turns {low vs high aspect ratios}.
I also like the MDX Advance bigger wider 19 inch tires, A/C seats,
ELS Sound Hard Drive, and added saftey equipment.
IMHO - I would never give up those Advance options above no matter which class of whatever is next.
Good move.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the MDX has comfort, cargo room and well...lots of bells and whistles that you probably don't know what to do with.

i have a 3G TL and have a 2G MDX...each has their pluses and minuses in my lifestyle. the MDX will want to handle like a sedan...and it handles quite well for something that is so heavy and big. it won't be like its nimble TL cousin, but it handles quite admirably. the MDX also has a big butt and is wider than the TL but length wise no longer than the sedan. if you are in snow areas...this is where the MDX will most likely shine with the SHAWD system. i treat each car a little differently, the TL is my baby and has become the "fun" car with some of the mods while the MDX is the stepchild that does all the dirty work (literally, rain, snow, hauling crap whatever). you will find the MDX, esp with the sport suspension pkg, pleasing to drive and wanting to behave like its sportier sedan cousins. it rides more like a car than a truck (other SUVs). the other thing with you coming out of 2G TL....tons of bells and whistles in terms of technology. of course that also means more parts that can potentially break. you may also appreciate the ride height differences in an SUV vs a sedan. don't be too hard on the MPGs. Hwy MPGs on the MDX are surprisingly good considering size and wt of vehicle. EPA says 20, but you can get 22-24 mpg going 75 mph easliy. around town...16-17 mpg. overall though...its an acura, and they usually last a long time if treated well. enjoy the new ride once you get it!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We used to have a 3G TL, and I LOVED that car. It was as close to perfect for me as it gets. Then we had our son, and realized with a stroller, and diaper bag in the trunk there wasn't enough room for a week of groceries (or anything else bulky). I ended up getting an 06 MDX, which is a great vehicle, but I can't wait to upgrade to the 2G MDX. I've driven a couple already, and they are so much nicer, just haven't found the color combo I want at the price I want. I don't know why acura builds 80% of them with tan interior. I settled with the one I have Black/Tan. I will never own another black car, or a car that has a tan interior. I'm patiently waiting for the one. The gas mileage is not much different for us. The TL was averaging 21mpg, and the MDX is averaging 19.9 since I got it. Commute with lots of red lights averaging 25MPH. If I drove a lot of highway it would be different.

Last edited by wilsel; 11-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I drive my 03 TL-S and enjoy it quite thoroughly still after all these years. Just passed 120 000km. My wife has 09 MDX Elite. Whenever we go driving in-town, TL gets the duty. Out of town long trips, MDX gets the call. Win-win. I like the handling and maneuverability of TL over bulk and weight of X, but I am biased towards TL.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone for all the good input. Sounds like in a couple of cases you've kept the TL alongside the MDX. I was actually thinking about selling the TL and just getting the MDX, but I'll think through that a bit more before acting.

Probably looking at the black/black or grigio metallic/black. (TL is black/black)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

as much as i love black...its a b**ch to keep clean. i'm sure you know this with your TL. if you live in CA...then great. i say go for the grigio/black.

my MDX will get a weekly wash...the only thing i don't like...climbing up to get to the roof to wash/dry/detail.

i just don't see anyone else owning my TL, that's how much i love that car! and it gets babied to death. the best of both worlds: the fun car and the travel/hauling car.

how much would your TL be worth if you traded?? might be something to consider. i've managed to take advantage of having the extra car in the house (like when one of them is at the shop).
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Those are some really good points, especially for living on the east coast! The winter salt/sand mix on the roads just makes it impossible to keep the TL looking good - even if you do wash it weekly! And the heat in the summer is insane, though I think the MDX has tinted windows (and cooled seats w/Advance!).

I never really thought about someone else owning my TL. It really would be difficult to part ways with it, after all this time - it's been so good to me!

I haven't taken it in to the dealer or carmax to get an estimate on the trade-in value. (I know carmax trade-ins are REALLY low.) A private sale of course would bring in more cash, but that's a pain at this point in time. I really haven't seen many '02 TL-S WITH the Nav like mine (most that I've seen don't have the Nav), so it's hard to get a good read on what they've sold for recently.

As for the extra ride, I'm just looking at the practicality of it all. Pay the car insurance, property tax, gas, and upkeep for the TL, or trade/sell it and use the cash towards a down payment on the MDX or for something else. The dealer offers lifetime loaners anyway, so I don't know that I'd need to hang on to it for those times that the MDX is in the shop.

Never thought it would be so tough to consider getting rid of a car that's turned out to be so awesome!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the car insurance...that's pretty low i would imagine, the insurance on my MDX is less than my TL!
property tax...that's low too if you live in VA since the value of the car is low.
gas...you wouldn't necessarily be guzzling more gas if you are only driving one car at a time.
upkeep...well...again between two cars it's kind of a wash.

the extra car around...i get lifetime loaners from my dealer. when my car has been in the body shop (for paint issues) its definitely been nice to have an extra set of wheels.

i have window tint in my TL...so...no big deal. plus it sleeps under a car cover.

if you sell the TL...(sadly its like a pet almost, when its really just an object), you want to find a good home for it. i'm grossly attached to my TL.

my neighbor has a 2G TL. he used to actually care for it. now its just another beat up dirty TL...he's let the appearance of the car go the last few years, especially since i think his tranny took a dump on him about a year ago (the flat bed made a visit to tow the car to the shop).

i love driving my TL when i dont' have to sit in traffic. the MDX...i appreciate the MDX for what it can do (def. more comfy than my TL since i have suspension mods). tough call qwerty.

i'd say get the MDX, keep the TL a bit. if the TL becomes a burden...sell it privately (get the max the value of the car) or sell it to carmax. i just look at the coverage of the guy with his 94 legend...and i see the condition of that car...that's what i see my car looking like in another 10 yrs, pristine.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We traded wife's 05 honda civic for an 07 MDX....and absolutely love it. We started off looking at the 05s and 06s but got a good deal on a tech package 07 and so glad we did. The room, the ride, the practicality, power and features are great.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I just traded in my 05' TL for an 11' MDX Advance.

Definetly get the roof rails, as I find the MDX to look a bit weird without them. Don't necessarily have to get the crossbars, but at least get the rails. It looks much sportier.

I love the 19" sized tires, but I think the advance wheels look ugly. I don't know what wheels you have on the TL, but on the 3G TL, it was popular for a lot of people to get the RDX Accessory wheels, (Which I also did). They look awesome, I think. Sadly, they won't fit the MDX. However, the dealers that were selling the discounted RDX wheels also have the MDX accessory wheels (which look identical) for a similar price. I got my local dealer to price match.

I don't know how spirited you drove your TL, but with the MDX, it seems to drive like a car, but everytime I do a quick lane change, I am quickly reminded that I am NOT driving a car. First time I took a hard corner in an emergency situation, my wife thought I was going to roll her MDX. Although I blame these on the crappy michelin latitude tires that come with the Advance. As soon as these wear out, I"m putting on the Continental DWS EXtreme Contact, that I had on the TL. Those have worked very well for me.

If you get the roof box, get the MDX one, not the RDX one. Even tho the RDX one will fit, neither boxes hold as much stuff as you think they would. The front is actually taller than the back of the roof box... When I measured the thing I thought the rear was the tallest, and thought it would clear my garage door... I did this the night before I went camping.... Stupid... Luckily the box only takes like 5 minutes to install/remove.

Also if you tint the windows, 20% on the front, will match the rears pretty well...

Last edited by avs007; 11-16-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added picture