Want to Install PA15-ACUxl In 2009 MDX - Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to Install PA15-ACUxl In 2009 MDX - Question

Where is this unit installed? In the rear where the XM receiver is or the front? If the rear has anyone installed and know how difficult it is? I don't mind buying Ipod just for the car that sits in the back. Just not too jazzed about opening up the front.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me there is a Satellite Box in the front windshield next to the mirror mount. AM and FM are in the rear I guess...
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

I actually just had this exact iPod integration installed today by a professional installer. It took him a little over an hour and he said that it took so much time because the XM box is in the right rear of the car so he had to first get to this and then run the cable up to the glove compartment where the cables are hidden and the PA15 ACU-xl box he actually installed under the glovebox behind the piece of plastic that sits just below the glovebox.

I would have tried this myself seeing that I've installed a complete soundsystem (4 speakers, new head unit, amp, and sub) in my old car, however, I honestly just didn't want to take the time and more importantly, I didn't want to risk defacing some of the trim that surrounds the stereo on the dash seeing that I don't have the tools that professional installers have to avoid such problems.

Seeing that the PA15 ACU-xl also has a set of RCA audio-outs, I also bought an RCA cable that has a 3.5mm end to it at RadioShack for $9 and had the installer run this as well. I wanted this so that I could listen to Pandora on my Blackberry through the stereo (if you have an iPhone, you wouldn't have to worry about this step).

The end result is amazing, aesthetically and audibly. This system really comes alive when you listen to anything other than XM or FM/AM, i.e. CD, iPod through this type of integration, and even Pandora through my Blackberry sounds incredibly clear and loud!

I hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No idea what kind of cost you're looking at for this item, but I literally just finished installing the iSimple unit into my 2008 Tech Entertainment about 30 minutes ago. My total investment for the kit from AutoToys was $145. I used my PayPal account and coupon code PAYPALFREE and paid no shipping.

The installation was basically two parts: installing the media gateway and running the cable for the iPod. The gateway box installs at the rear of the car and takes less than 30 minutes to do. Running the cable for the iPod was a little more lengthy... Maybe 60-90 minutes of time for that portion.

The whole install took me about two hours, and that was because I was taking a lot of photos. The end result is a very clean installation with great sound.

The iSimple (PAC Audio, Peripheral Electronics... It's all the same stuff) also has a second input that you can link RCA or a 3.5mm audio cable into. Plus, it's expandable to accept a HDRT (HD Radio Tuner) if you so choose in the future.

I'll be putting a photo-laden post of how I did this in the not-too-distant future. That may be of help to you.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Backs the Pack

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
PA15-ACUxl unit (the grey box) connects to the XM receiver in the right rear of the vehicle.

It's very easy to install, most of the time goes into accessing the XM receiver. The lid comes off easily and the plastic piece covering the rear latch pops off allowing the felt cover to come off as well.

From there it's basically unplugging a port from the XM receiver, connecting it to the PA15 unit, then running the included wire back to the original XM receiver. One port is 20 pin and the other I think is 16 so you can't mix it up.

I ran the ipod wire to the left of the tire jack and have kept an ipod touch there with velcro. Works and sounds great. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
6th Gear

Hi,

I'm trying to buy the same product. I have an 08 MDX w/ NAV and RES. I have two questions:

1. Where exactly is the Satellite tuner in the rear. I see a panel in the left rear but every post and the pa15ACUXL manual indicates that the tuner is in the rear right (passengar side). Can you send me some pics.

2. I'm planning to use this with my iphone. How long are the cables that come with the unit? I would hate to put my iphone in the trunk the entire time. I rather have it next to me. Any suggestions.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Search is your friend...

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/isimple-pxamg-pghhd2c-install-how-08-mdx-tech-ent-768869/