VTEC kicked in Yo! in the MDX...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
You don't need to go to 3000RPM to feel something.. Its all about how much acceleration you want, Perhaps you will like has to offer in the low end if your expectations aren't high.

I did a 300 miles trip this weekend with the car FULL all 7 Passengers and while it got underwhelming at a stop sign I didn't miss any power when I was overtaking... Its the initial get go that gets you on the nerves but onces its moving you don't need 3000RPM.
I am sorry but what does the bolded part mean?

I feel like maybe I am not describing what I am trying to say very well. It is just a multitude of reasons preventing me from seriously considering the MDX for myself. If my wife wanted one in the future though, I would have zero issues buying her one.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
What I meant was that the Low end is not that weak ( Perhaps you will like what it has to offer in the low end )... If you aren't trying to 0 to 60 every stop sign the MDX should not feel slow. That was referring to your comment about needing to go to 3000RPM to feel something aanddd fixed my typo.

7.2s for a 4500lb CUV is very respectable, Sometimes it "Feels" faster than that..
Old 04-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rewinding the clock, the 5.0 Mustangs were considered fast for their day. 225HP but a whopping 300ft lbs of torque. A stock automatic LX should run 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 mi about 14.4.

Fast forward and my 2013 MDX is doing the quarter in 7.2 seconds while carrying another 1500lbs. Not too shabby. Of course, more is always better but these days the manufacturers leave little on the table. Exhaust and fuel mapping have their downsides which nobody seems to want to talk about.

In a prior life I was just out of college and picked up a Ford Contour with the V6. Adding an SVT throttle body and air box, then removing the resonator made a BIG difference to overall drivability and the sound was great for a V6. That is what I am looking for with my MDX. No goofy "cold air" systems, but something optimizing power. I can suck up a little more motor music if the upside is there. I still don't want to be driving a "riced" MDX. I am an adult after all...
Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

What I meant was that the Low end is not that weak ( Perhaps you will like what it has to offer in the low end )... If you aren't trying to 0 to 60 every stop sign the MDX should not feel slow. That was referring to your comment about needing to go to 3000RPM to feel something aanddd fixed my typo.

7.2s for a 4500lb CUV is very respectable, Sometimes it "Feels" faster than that..
Oh I get it, thanks for the explanation. 7.2 is absolutely respectable, but in my drive the power felt turbo-lumpy. Almost an on-off feeling.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:19 PM

TrackDayRdr I know what you mean! But the 3.7L has the biggest Manifold and TB Honda & Acura makes So unless you go aftermarket with a custom plate to hold the TB there aren't any OEM upgrades.... Heck getting those things from the J37 for my TLS J32 is an upgrade

RDX10 Perhaps you aren't used to the MDX specific DBW mapping? if you drive it a little bit more you will learn the DBW travel to get the acceleration you want, You can also drive in SS to get full manual control over the acceleration because in D this is one of those cars that will seek top gear ASAP slowing the hell down any fun.. By no means it is cool to floor the pedal but the Engine is not lacking in power, the DBW pedal is just god plain awful. This is one of the areas I would strongly look at the Boost Sprint but at 300 bucks just to press the pedal less? I will continue to press the pedal a bit more thank you hahaha

Last edited by Skirmich; 04-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Skir, I wasn't suggesting we change intake sizing, just reminiscing about other technical motors that responded well to "tasteful" changes. I'm guessing the J37 is where it needs to be intake-wise.

As for the Sprint Booster - parts fail. Not sure I would want to explain to a jury (or the insurance company) how my otherwise solidly engineered vehicle was tampered with before the DBW malfunctioned sending me WOT into an old lady in the crosswalk.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:07 PM

I think the J37 is the less upgradable engine Acura has so far and the parts available are so underwhelming for the cost...
I read that the whole HFPC, J-Pipe only gives around 20 horses! on the J37...

My DC Sport Headers alone made almost 30hp in my TLS and cost 300 bucks that is almost 10HP per 100 bucks.
The MDX seriously needs a Comptech Supercharged kit.. I would sell both of my kidneys to get my hands on a S/C for the MDX.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Instructor

30HP for headers? I would like to see the independent dyno run for that.

I'll be happy with 20 horses, but it depends where and what it does to the power in other places. I don't want to lose low end torque for high RPM horsepower in a daily driver. I'm after area under the curve.

The J-pipe seems appealing but I haven't seen what the 2013 J-pipe looks like. I've seen an earlier OEM J and it was pinchy and awful. The later one doesn't look all that bad. Another area where the OEM system is pretty well optimized. If I am going to override the original engineers' decisions I need to see some solid evidence that the aftermarket part is indeed an upgrade and not a placebo.

It's laughable when people list "cargo cover" and "floor mats" under their list of "mods".
Old 04-05-2016, 03:48 PM

hahahahaha In the MDX.org forum my mod lists are basically the options that my MDX has.. "Sport Running Boards, Fender Garnish" the only "Mod" is the Drop In K&N filter that I got exclusively to hear the air intake noise, I was expecting the J37 to have a deeper intake noise but made absolutely no difference.

I personally don´t have a dyno sheet for the Headers after install. But you can find lots of "before and afters " headers dynos in the TL side, Just make sure is for the J32A2 as the J32A1 made less gains. But it is widely noted that the headers alone make +25hp, The OEM headers in the J32 are total restrictive crap with a 90° Angle from the exit.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Instructor

I don't trust any air filter that I can see through. To me, air filters are an engine protection device, not a performance item. Paper protects pretty well and is cheap enough for me to change twice a year.

A long time ago when I put headers on my 5.0 Mustang I noticed the disappearance of some low end torque right away. The upside is that it made the car more driveable around town.

I'm wary of manufacturer claims "adds 10 horsepower!!". The most successful fishing lures, don't catch fish, they catch fishermen!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 PM

I never had any issues myself with K&N filters and I do know the "Performance Gains" are snake oil but the noise upgrade is definitely there (Well not in the MDX hahaha) and I haven't seen any excess dirt in my intake or in the Manifold area after running it +100KMiles in my TLS.

On the TL (2G) the Headers are the upmost Upgrade.. Makes a lot of Low end Tq with proper gains in the high end, You don't lose anything with the headers you only gain.

This is the OEM Header
LINK > 2000 2003 Acura 3 2 TL Base Front Exhaust Manifold Header Original 1308 | eBay

These are the upgrades (Which are all clones of the original Comptech Header)
LINK > OBX Silver Exhaust Header Fit 3 2L 99 03 TL 02 03 TL Type s 01 03 CL | eBay
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Big difference! Still though, those clunky old iron manifolds probably make torque. You drive torque and race horsepower. That's part of why Ducatis are such great street bikes but not the fastest on the track, but I digress.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackDayRdr
30HP for headers? I would like to see the independent dyno run for that.

I'll be happy with 20 horses, but it depends where and what it does to the power in other places. I don't want to lose low end torque for high RPM horsepower in a daily driver. I'm after area under the curve.

The J-pipe seems appealing but I haven't seen what the 2013 J-pipe looks like. I've seen an earlier OEM J and it was pinchy and awful. The later one doesn't look all that bad. Another area where the OEM system is pretty well optimized. If I am going to override the original engineers' decisions I need to see some solid evidence that the aftermarket part is indeed an upgrade and not a placebo.

It's laughable when people list "cargo cover" and "floor mats" under their list of "mods".
Stock VS aftermarket pipe (longer runners-more torque)

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Dzionny, you've got a pretty pipe. HA HAA!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
I think the J37 is the less upgradable engine Acura has so far and the parts available are so underwhelming for the cost...
I read that the whole HFPC, J-Pipe only gives around 20 horses! on the J37...

My DC Sport Headers alone made almost 30hp in my TLS and cost 300 bucks that is almost 10HP per 100 bucks.
The MDX seriously needs a Comptech Supercharged kit.. I would sell both of my kidneys to get my hands on a S/C for the MDX.
You have to keep in mind that your TL is front wheel drive and mdx awd... If drive-shaft would be disconnected during dyno there would be much more whp than 20

And you will need to sell more than kidneys, because sooner or later, you will need new transmission....
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM

I never discussed it wasn´t impressive considering the drivetrain loss of the MDX.. Its just not enough to consider 1500 bucks.

Even stock sooner or later we will all need a transmission..
If you think getting a S/C will lower the trans life you will be surprised even with our design flaw over the 2G we have seen up to 400-500whp (Turbo) on the Stock B7WA without breaking a sweat, Most of those guys eventually drop it due to the lack of an LSD not because it cant hold the power.. There are also good examples on the 3G side using the Auto.
I haven't disassembled the MDX trans but by the external looks of it and the actual towing capacity I can assure you the trans would be the least of the problems.. We would be popping U joints at the rear prop shaft way before damaging the transmission, That thing is anemic as hell.. Sometimes when I am doing off road I think I will break that thing it looks hilariously slim.

Last edited by Skirmich; 04-05-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 PM

But hey if I got 5000 bucks to spend in a S/C? to hell with a transmission... We can all dream.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

TrackDayRdr I know what you mean! But the 3.7L has the biggest Manifold and TB Honda & Acura makes So unless you go aftermarket with a custom plate to hold the TB there aren't any OEM upgrades.... Heck getting those things from the J37 for my TLS J32 is an upgrade

RDX10 Perhaps you aren't used to the MDX specific DBW mapping? if you drive it a little bit more you will learn the DBW travel to get the acceleration you want, You can also drive in SS to get full manual control over the acceleration because in D this is one of those cars that will seek top gear ASAP slowing the hell down any fun.. By no means it is cool to floor the pedal but the Engine is not lacking in power, the DBW pedal is just god plain awful. This is one of the areas I would strongly look at the Boost Sprint but at 300 bucks just to press the pedal less? I will continue to press the pedal a bit more thank you hahaha
No I totally get you. I have a huge soft spot for the mdx. I don't know why. Just for some reason, it hits me in the soft spot hahah. But unfortunately its the lack of certain tech/features that keeps it off my radar for now. Also partly because I really don't need something so big.

Thanks for the good convo btw!