TSX trade to 11 MDX ...opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
TSX trade to 11 MDX ...opinions needed

So, I currently own two Acura sedans, a TL and TSX, as noted in my sig.
Both cars are fully loaded and bought brand new. My wife has been expressing a lot of interests in an MDX. She drives the TSX. And

We test drove a 2011 MDX Advance/ent and fell in love. Eventually, we would love to own this vehicle. The car that we will likely trade is her TSX. The thing is, her car will be fully paid off in 2013. We have a child that really needs a little more room and a vehicle that is more capable of tackleing family activities. We wanted to wait to pay off her car in order to keep it. It's a great car with zero problems.
When we drove the MDX, we came to the conclusion that it would be a major upgrade from her car. The appraised trade value is $11,000, so that would be knocked off the price of the MDX.

So my questions are:

A) Would you guys suggest we trade now and upgrade, keeping the car note trend going?

B) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX without trading the TSX?

C) Wait until the TSX is paid 3 years from now and then get the MDX with a trade of the TSX

C) Get the MDX now without trading the TSX, maintaining the payments on the TSX until it's paid off?

An suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Do you mind if the car is new or not? If you don't mind me asking, how much do you owe on the TSX? If you don't want to post that, then just post Trade-in-vale minus the amount owed.

If you can deal with a used car, the only thing I can suggest is that you look at a used MDX like an 08 or 09 one, helps save some money and as well you can find one that's CPO and save a little on an extended warranty.

If you want a new car, my suggestion would be to wait until the 2012's start coming in and get a deal on an 2011. That way you would pay off more of your TSX and get a little more on the total value knocked off on the MDX.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply.
The TSX is an '05 with 62000 miles. I owe 14 grand. The appraised value is 10 grand.

My wife would really prefer the MMC MDX. I tried coaching her into the 07-09, but she was sold on the cooling seats, motorized DVD player, the backup cam angles, the adaptive cruise control and the blind spot warning. I figure since she'll be the main driver, those features would come in handy for her and the kid.

Waiting until the 2012s arrive sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Thanks for the reply.
The TSX is an '05 with 62000 miles. I owe 14 grand. The appraised value is 10 grand.

My wife would really prefer the MMC MDX. I tried coaching her into the 07-09, but she was sold on the cooling seats, motorized DVD player, the backup cam angles, the adaptive cruise control and the blind spot warning. I figure since she'll be the main driver, those features would come in handy for her and the kid.

Who cares what it costs? What are the payments...heh heh
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would wait till Acura puts out the 0% or .9% then it would make sense to trade in. I will say that the MDX is a great family car. The rear doors are very large and easy to get into and the space for all the kids stuff in the back is sufficient. Of course the ultimate family car is the minivan, but I understand some people don't want to drive one.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

I would definitely wait for the incventives to kick in. If the TSX was closer to being payed off, this decision would be a whole lot easier.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTL
Thanks for the reply.

Understood, so essentially 4K will be added to the price of the MDX if you trade it in. Have you thought about parting it out in hopes of some more $$? Private sale?

Also not to sound like a jackass, but did you call up your insurance and see how much it would be extra to add a brand new MDX? Sometimes this can make or break a car buying decision! Also does the TSX have any sort of extended warranty on it? If yes, you might be able to cancel it and get some money back!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
Understood, so essentially 4K will be added to the price of the MDX if you trade it in. Have you thought about parting it out in hopes of some more $$? Private sale?

Also not to sound like a jackass, but did you call up your insurance and see how much it would be extra to add a brand new MDX? Sometimes this can make or break a car buying decision! Also does the TSX have any sort of extended warranty on it? If yes, you might be able to cancel it and get some money back!
You know what, I haven't even thought about checking with my insurance agent. I'm with Allstate and they are pretty good with new vehicles on the policy. Our records, insurance-wise, are flawless (if that means anything).

And yes, we have extended warranty which runs out at 75,000 miles. We also thought about selling the car versus a trade-in because the value on TSXs are pretty high. The going rate on a used TSX is $17000 - $19000, I believe. Sometimes the hassle of a private sale is worth it.

There are some parts on the TSX that I could part out. The oem rims were left with the dealer as we got the optional upgrades available at the time, so that's out of the question. However, I installed a backup cam and Dom's navi module(which will definitely come off if we should part with the car).

The mods aren't much but they are as follows:
1. backup cam
2. Doms module
3. full A-spec kit
4. USA spec iPod adaptor

Here's a pic of the TSX:

And the MDX we are hoping for (accessorized out the same way):
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
go for it ... the mdx is a nice small suv/ i wish acura made a bigger suv though, but i am def a fan of the mdx
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
remember in some states when you trade your car in the sales tax is deducted off the trade.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 AM
TSX4EVR

I traded my 06 TSX in for my 2010 MDX. They are two different cars. I loved my TSX but boy does the MDX has features. We just took it for a long trip for about 1,800 miles and the MDX ia teriffic. It is so stable, comfortable and feels invincable.

I traded in my TSX because it was nearing the end of the mileage where it could be considered "Acura Certified" which improves it resale, at least for the dealer and increased a little my trade in value.

When you do this trade should depend on your need. If you need a larger vehicle now, then do it now, but if you are not in a hurry, then as suggested I would wait until later in the year where the deals on price and interest rates come into effect.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VQPower37
go for it ... the mdx is a nice small suv/ i wish acura made a bigger suv though, but i am def a fan of the mdx
That's one thing I really like about this vehicle. It's big enough to haul stuff but, small enough to do everyday duties.

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
remember in some states when you trade your car in the sales tax is deducted off the trade.
I'll have to check in to that. I'm not sure if Texas has that, but I'll have to find out somehow.

Originally Posted by excited
I traded my 06 TSX in for my 2010 MDX. They are two different cars. I loved my TSX but boy does the MDX has features. We just took it for a long trip for about 1,800 miles and the MDX ia teriffic. It is so stable, comfortable and feels invincable.

I traded in my TSX because it was nearing the end of the mileage where it could be considered "Acura Certified" which improves it resale, at least for the dealer and increased a little my trade in value.

When you do this trade should depend on your need. If you need a larger vehicle now, then do it now, but if you are not in a hurry, then as suggested I would wait until later in the year where the deals on price and interest rates come into effect.
I agree, the MDX is loaded with a lot of tech toys. And I really like how the SH-AWD handles. It makes the vehicle feel light on its feet.
And yes, an SUV is kind of a need at the moment. However, I can wait up to year for incentives to kick in before I make a move. That would give us one more year to enjoy the TSX before we make the switch.
What is the "Acura Certified" mileage limit?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Texas is such a state. So if your trade in is $10K, you would save paying the tax on $10K but still pay the tax on the rest of the purchase price. I think the tax in Texas is 6.25%, so you'd save $625.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:32 AM
TSX4EVR

I absolutely love my MDX. I honestly free when I am driving it that I am driving the best vehicle there is. The vehicle is so stable, so comfortable, so powerful, has the ability to tow and haul a lot and is full of every tech thing i could want. It is just about the safest vehicle you could be in and almost everyday I get compliments on how it looks. Tonight coming out of the store there was a young girl and her Mother who were looking at the car and they commented on how good it looked and how they would like a vehicle just like it.

It truly is a great vehicle.

I was sort of forced into getting the top model to get the colour I wanted, but I love the features it has, most of them safetly related and I sm very pleased that I got it now.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by excited
I absolutely love my MDX. I honestly free when I am driving it that I am driving the best vehicle there is. The vehicle is so stable, so comfortable, so powerful, has the ability to tow and haul a lot and is full of every tech thing i could want. It is just about the safest vehicle you could be in and almost everyday I get compliments on how it looks. Tonight coming out of the store there was a young girl and her Mother who were looking at the car and they commented on how good it looked and how they would like a vehicle just like it.

It truly is a great vehicle.

I was sort of forced into getting the top model to get the colour I wanted, but I love the features it has, most of them safetly related and I sm very pleased that I got it now.

I take it you used to have a TSX as well, according to the description under your screen name? If so, was the transition easy?

I'm pretty much sold on the MDX Advance/Ent. The problem I'm having is losing a great car with zero problems. I guess the the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. The only justification I have for the trade is I'm gaining more than I'm losing. And it's sort of a priority at my current stage in life.

Last edited by SlimTL; 11-03-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
TSX4EVR

I loved my TSX. My license plate on my TSX was TSX4EVR. My TSX was also trouble fee.

The botton line for me was that my lifestyle was changing, I was retiring down to Arizona (for the winter) and would have lots of visitors who golf and wanted to haul four adults and four sets of clubs comfortably.

Because my TSX was so great, I stuck with Acura. The MDX is much more than the TSX. Having said that they are two totally different vehicles. The more I drive the MDX the more appreciate it's power and it's maneuverability, especially withe the SH-AWD.

I feel invincible in it. (I still drive safely and responsible, but just feel the MDX will handle whatever is thrown at it.)
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
HANDS DOWN sell it privately. From someone who has sold 14 cars privately (from various brands), I can tell you far and away Hondas and Acuras sell the fastest and for most of your asking price. The 1st-gen TSX is an extremely popular pre-owned car and will sell very quickly.

I sold my 2008 TSX Navi with 25,000 miles late last year for $23,000…I put the ad in at 11:00pm on a Thursday night, a dealer called me the next morning and bought it. I would estimate you’ll probably clear a grand or two from your $14,000 owed value (at least). Buyers love the TSX (at least here in SoCal) - tell them your story, how it’s been a great car, have the records handy and a CARFAX ready, and you’ll sell it…fast…

As for TSX versus MDX – both are very different vehicles obviously, but your wife will love the MDX. The nice part about the MDX is that it doesn’t drive like a barge, it handles great and gets decent gas-mileage for a 300hp vehicle. We had our TSX and MDX at the same time…both are great vehicles and especially with a kid, you’ll enjoy having the 3rd row of seats. We have a 10-month-old baby and we take all of his crap (cat seat, stroller, toys, diaper bags, etc.) with us everywhere we go…the extra room is amazingly useful.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I had a couple weeks to think about it and I've decided to sell the TSX as opposed to trading it in. (Thx Type 34) Reason being...the value of this car is still pretty high and at its current condition with all the additions will help me sell it for a good price.

Also, I thought about what "excited" said about having a vehicle that is capale of more than what the TSX is. I, too, have decided to stay with Acura because of the quality and technolgy in their automobiles. The only other luxury SUV that I would have considered is the AUDI Q7. But, when optioned out the way I wanted, it was more than I was willing to pay.

The plan is to enjoy the TSX until the end of next year when the 2012 MDXs hit the market. I can then either negotiate the price of a left-over brand new 2011 or get a deal on a 2012 via Acura incentives. However, if I get a chance to buy one within the year, I'll jump on it!

Is that a good idea?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm on the stage of looking to replace my 2000 Odyssey, narrowed it down to 2 vehicles - the RDX and MDX. I test drove the RDX looks pretty solid just didn't like the slight hesitation (turbo lag I guess) but otherwise everything is fine in this vehicle. Well for the newer MDX I haven't had the chance to drive one yet, the last MDX I test drove was a 2009 model which I didn't like the way it got off the line, it feels kind of heavy. I heard that the newer 2010 model which got the new 6 spd auto tranny has better shifting dynamics and the MDX has that athletic feel so if this is the case then I'm getting one next year as a birthday present for me.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 AM
07 MDX Base

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
I'm on the stage of looking to replace my 2000 Odyssey, narrowed it down to 2 vehicles - the RDX and MDX. I test drove the RDX looks pretty solid just didn't like the slight hesitation (turbo lag I guess) but otherwise everything is fine in this vehicle. Well for the newer MDX I haven't had the chance to drive one yet, the last MDX I test drove was a 2009 model which I didn't like the way it got off the line, it feels kind of heavy. I heard that the newer 2010 model which got the new 6 spd auto tranny has better shifting dynamics and the MDX has that athletic feel so if this is the case then I'm getting one next year as a birthday present for me.
I used to own 08 RDX and 08 Odyssey. Got rid of of the RDX because it did not meet my family needs such as trunk space. Got rid of the Ody even though the it was great for space. Traded the Ody for the 07 Certified MDX. I lost the space compared to the Ody but its enough to meet our family needs of 4. We do a lot of highway travel so when it snows hard in the midwest, the MDX will be ready. Maybe later down the road, I will upgrade it for another MDX. I test drove the 2010 MDX and it was better in different ways but I still like my 07.