Trip Computer Display Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trip Computer Display Question

Just got a new 2012 MDX Tech and had a few questions about the trip computer display and what is possible, and not possible.

My wife would like to be able to:
(1) Always have the outside temperature showing (it displays on the bottom panel); and
(2) At the same time has the Trip A average mileage screen showing.

And, probably most importantly, when you get into the car and start it each time have the display show what was displayed when you turned the car off. Right now, every time the car is started again it goes back to the "trip computer" screen and then we have to scroll to get the average mileage for A back and scroll to get the outside temperature back. A bit annoying.

In our 2011 TL Tech, the trip computer works as we want. I keep the display set to show "Average Fuel A" with the outside temperature below that. Every time I start the car this is the display it defaults too.

It does appear the MDX display and the TL display look a bit different in the way they display information so maybe this is just something we will be able to do on the TL and not on the MDX.

Anyway know how to get the MDX display to display a particular information screen (like Average fuel A) every time the car is started?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawtyger
My wife would like to be able to:
(1) Always have the outside temperature showing (it displays on the bottom panel); and
(2) At the same time has the Trip A average mileage screen showing.
Me too, just not possible...

And, probably most importantly, when you get into the car and start it each time have the display show what was displayed when you turned the car off. Right now, every time the car is started again it goes back to the "trip computer" screen and then we have to scroll to get the average mileage for A back and scroll to get the outside temperature back. A bit annoying.

In our 2011 TL Tech, the trip computer works as we want. I keep the display set to show "Average Fuel A" with the outside temperature below that. Every time I start the car this is the display it defaults too.

It does appear the MDX display and the TL display look a bit different in the way they display information so maybe this is just something we will be able to do on the TL and not on the MDX.

Anyway know how to get the MDX display to display a particular information screen (like Average fuel A) every time the car is started?
What you will see if you adjusted your key settings right is "trip computer", and then you have to press select to see the "trip A" info. I believe that the temperature is in the menu just 'back/before' that one, so as stated above, you can't have both....a bit stupid if you ask me...

I stand to be corrected...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
If the guy that designed this actually could drive then he would know that it's a POS. The trip computer operation was designed by a committee of 5th graders who collectively got an "F".
My RL has a better cycle of displays in the MID AND it has the trip computer display on the NAV screen. It could still be improved upon but it is 10X better than the MDX.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Same here, not thrilled with the display. I truly don.t care to know my tire pressure or oil Life. I.ve learned to live without information at my command and have settled for hunting and pecking to pass the time at red lights.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I want what I have in my 2008 TL - Trip A displayed with the temperature. But I have to choose one or the other.

On the plus side I love the fact that the trip automatically resets to 0 when you fill up (if you put the setting to do so)!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
It'd be great if they were consistent across the lineup, the menus were different in my RDX too
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigred123
I want what I have in my 2008 TL - Trip A displayed with the temperature. But I have to choose one or the other.

On the plus side I love the fact that the trip automatically resets to 0 when you fill up (if you put the setting to do so)!
Same here. Both my TL and MDX automatically reset trip A on fill up so at least that nice feature is on both.