transfer case gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
transfer case gasket

Have "06 only 26K miles and dealer said my transfer case gasket is leaking. Covered under warranty but said it was 4 hr job. Anyone ever had problem with this gasket?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Gasket material will crack over time.
4 hours sounds right.
Good its still under warranty w/ 5 years.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just follow-up. Had gasket done and dealer called and said they needed to keep car longer as when they started it the check engine lite came on and they knew it wasn't on when I brought car in. Said it was oxygen sensor and replaced it without charge which I felt was fair.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by steve
just follow-up. Had gasket done and dealer called and said they needed to keep car longer as when they started it the check engine lite came on and they knew it wasn't on when I brought car in. Said it was oxygen sensor and replaced it without charge which I felt was fair.
Very Fair.
There is a rush of bad - failing O2 sensors out there regardless of make model. Has really increased in recent years.
Its kinda the new service cash crop and you got to wonder why ...
I suspect the Ethanol.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The transfer case usually leaks where it seals to the transmission. It isn't a gasket, it is a really big o-ring. The job actually takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do. The most probable cause for the oxygen sensor is the technician. The lower oxygen sensor on the rear cat is directly in line with one of the bolts for the transfer assembly. If you don't pay attention you smash the sensor while loosening the bolt. I know from experience.

Drew
The following users liked this post:
Fabvsix (11-17-2011)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hondaacurapro
The transfer case usually leaks where it seals to the transmission. It isn't a gasket, it is a really big o-ring. The job actually takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do. The most probable cause for the oxygen sensor is the technician. The lower oxygen sensor on the rear cat is directly in line with one of the bolts for the transfer assembly. If you don't pay attention you smash the sensor while loosening the bolt. I know from experience.

Drew
Hey Drew, is this something an average DIY'er can complete? I was under my 2002 MDX yesterday checking for sources of front end clunking and noticed my transfer assembly is leaking (see pictures attached)...how hard is it to remove/replace the unit and once removed, whats involved with replacing the o-ring?

On the below schematic, I presume #19 is the culprit? Would it make sense to replace #21 too or is that a bit more difficult to do?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the huge delay. My shop has been crazy busy and I have been neglecting the computer. Number 19 in the picture is usually the problem. If you are a little handy, removing the transfer case is a piece of cake. There is a plate under the j pipe that needs to be removed ( 4 14mm bolts ). Drop the j pipe. You don't need to remove it from the cat converter. Just remove the bolts from the front and rear bank exhaust pipes ( 01-02 ), or front and rear cats ( 03-06 ). Remove the 4 14mm bolts from propeller shaft at the transfer. Remember to mark the flange at the propeller shaft so you can put it back at the same spot. The transfer is held in place with some 14mm bolts ( can't remember how many ). I the mdx is an 03-06 there is a vent tube on top that needs to removed, there is also a bracket held on by 1 10mm bolt. the 01-02 does not have these. The leaking o-ring on the transfer keeps the transfer case in place pretty hard. I use a pry bar and gently pry on the t case to get it to unseat. once it is unseated it comes out very easy. Get ready for the waterfall of ATF that comes out. I am coming back from vacation this wednesday. If any acuraziners need a little help give me a call. You can google my shop The Pit Shop Libertyville and I will be happy to try and lend a hand.

Drew
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Drew, I recently ordered a new o-ring and have been monitoring the ATF level along with the leak under the car...I found that the ATF level was a bit higher than it should be and the leak seems to have stopped from under the car so I am starting to think that there was too much pressure in the tranny which was causing it to blow out through the o-ring, I suppose it will need to be replaced before winter though.

Do you know how much ATF I will need to top it back up...6 quarts?