Switching Sport suspension to base ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching Sport suspension to base ?

Is it possible to disable the electronics and install the base struts on a Sport model? I find the base struts have a better ride/handling balance that falls in between the "Sport" and "Comfort" modes. In addition, the Sport electromagnetic struts are stupid expense to replace.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You can but the electro shocks are continous varying and regardless of the setting {sport or comfort} it varies in-between for the road drive conditions.
If you find base non adjusting shocks to give better ride your test might be in error. Cost of replacing is a seperate issue and if u dont have $$ ... why do you have this advanced model in the first place.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
You can but the electro shocks are continous varying and regardless of the setting {sport or comfort} it varies in-between for the road drive conditions.
If you find base non adjusting shocks to give better ride your test might be in error. Cost of replacing is a seperate issue and if u dont have $$ ... why do you have this advanced model in the first place.
I'm asking a theoretical question. Your 2012 has different suspension calibration over the older per-2010 models. I suspect the 2012 has a better ride. My "sport" setting handles great but rides stiff (I know - my other cars are an 05 Evo and 04 G35). The "comfort" setting is soft. It actually is too floaty. My sister has an 09 MDX with the base suspension. It rides in between my "sport" and "comfort" settings. It is a great compromise between ride and handling.
In addition, I've already had one strut replaced at 55k miles. I'm not confident in the durability of the electromagnetic struts especially when they cost $500+ each.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
I'm asking a theoretical question...
Your question was answered with a YES.
Note the electo suspension besides having a better adjusting ride has fewer moving parts and therefore should last a long time.
Go ahead do it and make this forums day.
Be sure to report the results to this forum for others.
But would you put economy PeP Boys shocks into a Ferrari ???
The following users liked this post:
MASK (01-10-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by EL_PIC
Your question was answered with a YES.
Note the electo suspension besides having a better adjusting ride has fewer moving parts and therefore should last a long time.
Go ahead do it and make this forums day.
Be sure to report the results to this forum for others.
But would you put economy PeP Boys shocks into a Ferrari ???
really?? you have to be an a$$ about answering a simple question.

so now you're saying that the us folks with a base suspension have "pep boys" quality shocks on our cars?

take out cost as a factor here and solely look at the ride quality and handling of the base suspension vs the sport suspension shadow is seeking. he asks to improve his ride quality first despite the cost of the sport shocks vs the base shocks (and yes, the sport shocks do cost an arm and a leg based on a couple of other folks on the other forum). ride quality comes down to personal preference. if he has grown unhappy with what his car has to offer...then why not have that option to change without trading it in for an MDX with a base suspension? folks with regular suspension set ups (like the TL or any other car) switch to coilovers or sport shocks. why? b/c they want better ride quality and handling (i hope...while others may do it for looks).

no need to have this elitist attitude with your MDX advance. you could have answered the question without all the grief and attitude.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The only ass in this is its a Dum Ass thing to do.
The advance suspension is exactly that ... Advanced.
There ought to be a law on putting under spec cheaper parts in advanced autos.
Wait there is ... its called Fraud !!
I can't imagine anyone so worried about their bottom line being honest
to explain to next and all future owners of said MDX Advance that it equiped with non spec cheaper parts.
Everyone expects the MDX Advanced to be Advanced and with honest replacement parts.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^^shadow would most likely put the "sport suspension" back on the car when he traded it or sold it, for now i would imagine he's only doing this for his own comfort while he owns it.

you ever mod a car? and then part it back out to put it back to stock? probably not from the way you responded. the OP would not be that stupid to put in base suspension parts in the car and then sell it that way when its suppose to have the the sports suspension. if you have nothing to contribute to this thread...dont' bother to post.

its not about the bottomline...its about ride quality and comfort.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

Same Question

I giving this car to my daughter and now that it has gone through its second set of shocks at 200k miles there is no need to put another set of electronic shocks on a car for a 16 year old girl. My main question is would it set off the check engine light by not putting in the electronic shocks?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 AM
1st Gear

Electronic vs no electronic strut assembly

I just received a quote with a $2600 price difference on my 2011 MDX with 125K miles to replace the front stabilizer and links. The price difference comes from using OEM digital vs non-electronic strut assemblies. I guess this will result in a suspension related light on the dash too.

Since my 18-year old is driving this now, do I need to worry if I have no plans to sell the car? Will it drive the same?

We plan to keep the car until it stops running or becomes cost prohibitive to maintain. It has been an easy car so far - just tires and brakes!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Convert it!
Each of the 4 corners will, sooner or later, go out.
If you change your own oil, rotate your own tires, and have basic hand tools you can do the swap yourself.

Three years ago, I was quoted $4400 and I ended up spending $700, converting it myself.
A year later, Acura extended my warranty. I put the busted ADS back on and they installed new ADS.
Eight(ish) months later I converted it back. I didn't like floaty feel of the "comfort" and the "sport" was still a little too soft.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 Acura MDX Sport and Tech and i replaced the suspension with kyb suspension. The car rides really good if not better. So yes you do not have to go with the electronic ones.