Side Mirror - Which parts need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side Mirror - Which parts need to be replaced?

Hi. I'm trying to figure out what parts I need to order to repair the driver's side mirror. We just got three feet of snow and I was paying more attention to dodging the snow removal equipment on the garage floor than to the mirror. There's no external damage, but the mirror is no longer moving all the way up or to the right - darn. Anyway, I've taken the mirror apart and can see that the outermost clip in the mirror holder is broken off (A in the photo), and so is something shaped sort of like a helicopter rotor blade (B) that attaches to the center ball-socket thingy.

I've got a few questions after looking at the diagrams, so that I know what parts to order and replace:

1. Is the broken rotor-blade-shaped thingy part of the actuator assembly, or part of the mirror holder? I can't tell if it should have stayed attached to the actuator, or if it belongs on the mirror holder.

2. How do I disconnect the two heater elements (C) from the mirror holder? They don't seem to just pull off, and look like they might be part of a taped-down wiring assembly - are they soldered on?

3. How do I disconnect the mirror holder from the mirror? I'm afraid of breaking off the tabs if I pry on them.

Thanks for any help!