Shaking while accelerating around 50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking while accelerating around 50 mph

I am losing my mind and money trying to fix the shaking of my 02 Acura mdx. It shakes/ vibrates at speeds in between 40-60 mph. The shaking stops when I let off of the pedal. It feels like the shaking is in the front of the car, possibly the front driver side. This originally started a year ago. I replaced two tires and it fixed the problem. Then, six months later it started shaking again. So, I bought the other two tires. That did not work this time.

What I have had done so far:

4 new tires
balance
alignment
balance (again)
cv joints replaced
motor mounts replaced
new front brakes
new rotors

What now? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

~Natalie
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear

I should add that I also have a (possibly) separate problem as well. There are three specific geographical locations (weird, I know) where my car will act as if it is in neutral when I am accelerating. 2/3 spots is during acceleration after stooping at a stop light. It lasts for about 10 seconds until it will kick into gear and go.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles your '02 has on the odometer. Also, who is doing this work for you? I would guess a friend or relative, or worse someplace like Midas. Sounds like an Acura dealership could solve your problems once and for all, albeit at a price.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
3rd Gear

I bought the car 3 years ago with 90,000 mikes. Sadly, it now has 148,000 miles. I know! I drive from FL to Ky a few times a year. You are right about the mechanic, Tuffy to be exact. I purchased a warranty when I bought the car, but it only covers certain things. A dealership would be quite expensive, but I was hoping to get an idea of what it might be before taking it there. Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NatalieWetz
I bought the car 3 years ago with 90,000 mikes. Sadly, it now has 148,000 miles. I know! I drive from FL to Ky a few times a year. You are right about the mechanic, Tuffy to be exact. I purchased a warranty when I bought the car, but it only covers certain things. A dealership would be quite expensive, but I was hoping to get an idea of what it might be before taking it there. Thanks
Sounds like Tuffy (Auto Care Centers) has taken you and the warranty company for a ride already. I would guess you need new struts and a change of tranny fluid and maybe bands adjusted. Go to the Acura dealer (Yes, kind of expensive, but what is your life and safety of your family worth?) and get your problems fixed ASAP.

Last edited by Rexorg; 04-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Welcome to Azine Natalie

I'm not a mechanic, but I experienced some shaking/vibration in our 2006 MDX and have had similar issues with previous cars.

I echo Rexorg's recommendation of never letting Tuffy touch your car again. These "auto centers" basically hire guys right out of junior college and make guesses at best for diagnoses.

My first question is to ask "what" is shaking between 40-60? If it's the steering wheel, then I gotta say it's your front wheels/tires. I know you listed what service you've had performed, but let me offer the following scenario (in blue) as to what I think is happening...

First let me preface the following with the fact that shaking in the steering wheel is usually a result of uneven tire wear. Improper alignment can produce accelerated tire wear, yes, but simple, basic driving produces tire wear. Tires should be rotated every 6000-7000 miles to alleviate uneven tire wear.

I noticed you drive about 20K miles a year (3 yrs at +58,000 miles). Which means you put roughly 10K miles in 6 months. I'm guessing that after you purchased those first two tires, you didn't have them rotated during that 6 months. If so, 6 months later you have those same front tires wearing over 10K miles and starting to show it (i.e. vibration).

If you've already had your alignment done, CV joints replaced, etc., I honestly think the solution is to buy four new tires, then have them rotated every 6,000 miles (about every 4 months).

This is assuming you have undamaged factory wheels. Honda/Acura wheels are hub-centric, which means they rest on the hub for centering/balance. Wheels that are not centered on the hub properly (i.e. aftermarket wheels with the improper hubs or hub rings) or damaged wheels that are not balanced will cause tremendous shaking/vibration if not treated.

This is also assuming the vibration is felt through the steering wheel. If the entire vehicle is vibrating (or spread across the front of the vehicle, more than focused on the steering wheel), then it may be transmission-related.

Good luck

Last edited by Type34; 04-12-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you bought the second set of tires did they mount them on the rear wheels and move them to the front of the car? If your tires are wearing funny or chopping on curves it would come back in 20K or less maybe.

As to hiring "right out of LOL, Jr Collage" are you kidding me? Dropouts grab those jobs and "figure out" what ails your car.