Running boards or side steps ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running boards or side steps ?

We just got an 09 MDX (Elite, we're Canadian). We have two young children (ages 4-1/2 and 3) and they have a little difficulty climbing in or out of the vehicle.

Would running boards or the side steps help little ones significantly ? Are they strong enough to support an adult ? Is one option better than another ? Judging from some pictures, it looks like the side steps extend farther out, but it's hard to tell.

I've heard that either can be a pain in getting the back of one's pants dirty, but if it makes it easier for my kids, I could live with it. I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics.

Also - is this end-user-installable or do I need to have a mechanic/dealer do it ? We're a little tapped out so I'd love to save some money by ordering online.

thanks !
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tmark
We just got an 09 MDX (Elite, we're Canadian). We have two young children (ages 4-1/2 and 3) and they have a little difficulty climbing in or out of the vehicle.

Would running boards or the side steps help little ones significantly ? Are they strong enough to support an adult ? Is one option better than another ? Judging from some pictures, it looks like the side steps extend farther out, but it's hard to tell.

I've heard that either can be a pain in getting the back of one's pants dirty, but if it makes it easier for my kids, I could live with it. I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics.

Also - is this end-user-installable or do I need to have a mechanic/dealer do it ? We're a little tapped out so I'd love to save some money by ordering online.

thanks !
From what I have seen thus far on the 07+ models. The sport running boards looks better then the side steps. The steps do stick out a little further and lower then the boards. I go with boards for the 07+. Does what it suppose to and looks great. I have a 06 with steps and it does get your pants dirty if you rub them going in and out without using steps which I do frequently. They are for my passengers as I do not really need them to get in and out. I went with steps as I think it looks better then the boards on a 06. Hope this helps. As for holding weight. It is fine. It is designed to hold quite a bit of a few pounds. I actually stood and jumped on mine to make sure it doesn't break off when I first put them on. Install is easy but time consuming. Helps if you have help. My arms were on fire cause of all the bolts I had to tighten.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tmark

thanks !
I'd go with the Sport Running Boards...by the way, where in Canada did you find an Elite '09 model left?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
mbg
3rd Gear

Can you still use jack stands on the jack points with the sport running boards in place?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am only 5'11" but I don't need any type of step to get into my "09 MDX. My '07Super Duty pickup I use the running boards. The body is up to my nose so climbing in is better with a step. I drove a test vehicle that had $800 aprox option combo board and steps. It left a mark on my pants leg when I forgot the step was there...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Originally Posted by HenryNYC
From what I have seen thus far on the 07+ models. The sport running boards looks better then the side steps. The steps do stick out a little further and lower then the boards. I go with boards for the 07+. Does what it suppose to and looks great.

Install is easy but time consuming. Helps if you have help. My arms were on fire cause of all the bolts I had to tighten.
HenryNYC - thanks for the reply. I agree the running boards do like nice, but I just want to get whatever would make life for my little guys easiest.

CraigMacDTA: I got a demo from Acura East in Ajax, just before the end of the year.

Would self-installation or other post-purchase installation of running boards or side steps void any rust protection provisions in the warranty ? How about the rust protection program my dealer sold me ? A few people have told me installation of either running boards or steps makes the car more rust prone....

thanks everyone !