RES - Headphone Cutting Out: Documented?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 06:55 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

RES - Headphone Cutting Out: Documented?

I have an '08 Tech Ent and have had this thing back to the dealer more than half a dozen times because the headphones would cut out.

After a number of trial and error events, two replacement DVD screens, both cables replaced, and an entirely new head unit (radio), I am now being told that:

A) It is a documented issue that the headphones will cut out when the vehicle is subjected to high temperatures of direct sun (like letting your car sit in the sun while you're at work for the day) until the roof temperature cools off

and

B) The reason that this did not come out earlier (it has taken well over a year to finally reach this point) is because Acura Tech wasn't matching my complaint against the "Southeast Database" because I'm in New England (apparently, on Florida gets heavy direct sun).

I am completely of the opinion that this is all a load of crap on both accounts (why in the hell would Acura segregate their technical issues geographically?) and am pretty irritated with the dealer (well, the service manager, actually).

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has had issues with the wireless headsets going dead about 30 seconds after powering up the system when the car has been sitting in the direct sun. NOTE: This doesn't happen in the winter, and only happens on pretty warm days in the summer.

My attitude is that, if this is a well-documented known issue, there are an awful lot of mad owners in AZ, FL, southern TX, and the like.
Old 11-16-2010 | 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

Read this and print and give it to the service manager and tell them to fix it right. You can do the some of the initial fact finding yourself so they know that you are well informed and they cannot shrugged their shoulders and pretend that they're at the end of their rope and play stupid. Acura will fix it because ir makes business sense to keep you happy so you will continue to buy Acuras. Good luck and have fun..................Enjoy your MDX.........

©
2008 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved 1 of 3

ServiceNews Article
Helping you fix it right the
first time - every time

EDITOR’S NOTE:
This article replaces “Wireless Headphones Don’t Work With the RES” in the March ’08
issue of
ServiceNews.
Got a vehicle in your shop because the wireless headphones aren’t working? How you handle things will
depend on your service client’s complaint. If the wireless headphones are working with the audio system
but aren’t working with the DVD player, you could be dealing with a bad audio lead, sublead, or both.
Those leads supply the digital audio signal from the DVD player to the rear controller and screen. They
aren’t used, though, for playing the AM/FM radio, the XM radio, or the 6-disc changer. If the wireless
headphones aren’t working with either the audio system or the DVD player, a bad rear controller and
screen could be the culprit. To find and fix the problem, here’s what you need to do:

IMPORTANT TIP:
The troubleshooting here depends on first duplicating your service client’s complaint.
If you can’t do that, use the climate control to raise the inside temperature and try again. If the rear
controller and screen are bad, raising the temperature will induce it to fail, duplicating the symptom.
Open the overhead screen, and put on a pair of the wireless headphones. Play the radio (AM, FM, and
XM). Next, load and play a CD or audio DVD in the 6-disc changer. Finally, load and play a video DVD in
the DVD player.
• If the wireless headphones are working fine when you’re listening to the audio system (and there’s
text displayed on the screen) but they aren’t working while you’re watching a video, go to

WIRELESS HEADPHONES AREN’T WORKING WITH DVD PLAYER
• If the wireless headphones aren’t working whether you’re listening to the audio system or watching
a video, go to
WIRELESS HEADPHONES AREN’T WORKING WITH AUDIO SYSTEM AND
DVD PLAYER

WIRELESS HEADPHONES AREN’T WORKING WITH DVD PLAYER
1. Refer to pages 23-112 and 23-113 of the ’07–08 MDX S/M, and enter the self-diagnostic function.
(Online, enter keyword
HEADPHONES and select Wireless headphones do not work . . . from the
list.)
2. From the
Diagnosis Menu on the overhead screen, select 1. CONNECT. Check the DIGITAL OUT

status.
• If you see
NG in a red box, go to step 3.
• If you see
OK in a green box, continue with normal troubleshooting.

Aug 2008
Wireless Headphones Aren’t Working? Read This First
Currently Applies To: ’07–08 MDX with Entertainment Package
B08080K
DIGITAL LINE CONNECTION CHECK
CONNECTION OK: GREEN COLOR
CONNECTION NG: RED COLOR
©
2008 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved 2 of 3

ServiceNews Article
first time - every time

3. Check the digital audio lead’s connector at the rear controller and screen, and make sure it’s securely
plugged in. Refer to page 23-134 of the S/M for details. (Online, enter keywords
REAR
CONTROLLER
, and select Rear Controller and Screen Removal/Installation from the list.)
• If
NG in the red box now changes to OK in a green box, you’ve fixed the problem. Play a DVD in
the DVD player and listen for audio in the headphones just to make sure.
• If you still see
NG in the red box, go to step 4.
4. Check the digital audio lead’s connector and the digital audio sublead’s connector in the right A-pillar,
and make sure they’re securely plugged in. Refer to pages 20-78 thru 20-80 of the S/M for details.
(Online, enter keyword
A-PILLAR and select Trim Removal/Installation - A-Pillar Trim from the list.)
• If
NG in the red box now changes to OK in a green box, you’ve fixed the problem. Play a DVD in
• If you still see
NG in the red box, go to step 5.
5. Check the digital audio sublead’s connector (connector F) at the back of the audio unit, and make sure
it’s securely plugged in. Refer to page 23-90 of the S/M for details. (Online, enter keywords
AUDIO
UNIT
and select Audio Unit Removal/Installation from the list.)
• If
• If you still see
NG in the red box, go to step 6.
6. Refer to page 23-99 of the S/M, and replace both the digital audio lead (rear wire harness)
(P/N 32153-STX-A00) and the digital audio sublead (P/N 39117-STX-A01). (Online, enter keywords

DIGITAL AUDIO
and select Rear Entertainment System Component Location Index from the list.)

IMPORTANT:
During removal, be really careful not to damage the lead or the sublead, or their
connectors. Warranty Parts Inspection (WPI) needs those parts intact so that they can properly inspect
and test them. And
don’t cut off the lead’s or sublead’s connectors just to make things easier to
remove. If you do, your warranty claim will be rejected.

CONNECTOR F
(2-GRY)
©
2008 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved 3 of 3

ServiceNews Article
first time - every time

WIRELESS HEADPHONES AREN’T WORKING WITH AUDIO SYSTEM AND DVD PLAYER
1. Make sure both pairs of wireless headphones are OK. Check the batteries, the on/off switch, the
volume control. If possible, try those same wireless headphones in another MDX.
• If you find any problems with either pair of wireless headphones, replace the battery or, if needed,
replace the headphones. Then retest.
• If both pairs of wireless headphones check out OK, go to step 2.
2. In your client’s vehicle, play the audio system and the DVD player, and listen for audio over the
speakers and using a pair of plug-in headphones.
• If you can’t hear anything through the speakers or through your plug-in headphones, continue with
normal troubleshooting.
• If everything checks out OK, but you still can’t hear anything from the wireless headphones when
you play the audio system or the DVD player, then replace the rear controller and screen. Refer to
page 23-134 of the S/M for details. (Online, enter keywords
REAR CONTROLLER, and select

Rear Controller and Screen Removal/Installation
from the list.)

Old 11-16-2010 | 11:55 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Lakaynido1: Thank you for the response. I believe that everything you provided for information was known to the tech department and used to troubleshoot the issue.
Here's how it all went, in order. Each "-" reflects a unique visit to the dealership.

- They replaced the screen.
- They replaced the DVD wire.
- They replaced the audio harness wiring.
- They replaced the entire radio.
- They replaced the screen. Problem went away.

Problem returned.

- They replaced the screen.

Problem seems to have persisted.

- They claimed it's a known, documented issue and there is no fix.

What's worse, they tried to tell me that they didn't know it was a documented issue until "now" because Acura Tech doesn't share tech info from different regions by default. And, this was all in the South East database.
Old 11-16-2010 | 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

I will have to check my wife's MDX, it's an o8 sport/ent package, we have never used the entertainment system, we bought it for the other fluff that came with it like the power tailgate and heated second row seats. But it's getting coder now so I may have to turn the heat inside the car to high and try it. I will report my findings.......
Old 11-16-2010 | 09:35 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

The issue isn't related to the car's heater... it's related to the roof line (and the DVD screen / circuit board in the headliner) getting hot because of significant sun on the roof of the vehicle. It does NOT happen in cold weather.