Request for comments on 2005 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for comments on 2005 MDX

My wife and I are looking to get a 2005 model w/ navi in the $14000 range. We found one this last weekend, but the dealer was waaaaay undervaluing our trade-in ('01 TL/Nav/104k miles) so we had to pass. Why do dealers always have to screw up well thought out plans? Now we're just trying to sell outright before buying the MDX.

Anyways, does anyone have any commentary on pros/cons to the '05? I know the navi got a big upgrade, which is why I'm looking at the newer ones. I'm expecting miles to be around 65-75k for that price... is that reasonable? (I'd love to find an '06 for that price, but that's just crazy talk ) Do these have any sort of audio input for iPod connectivity? Anything else you think I should be aware of going forward? Is there a "sport package" for the '05? I see several used ones saying this, but I didn't think that was a real trim level for back then. I'm really only looking at ones w/ navi anyways.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Advanced

I've got an '05 and love it. 47,000 miles and no problems. Don't have navi though but wish I did. It does have XM, but as far as Ipod connectivity, no there aren't any inputs on the car. I've never heard of a sports package; there was a base model (no roof rack, different wheels, no memory seats, non-power passenger seat) and the touring package which had all of the aforementioned options. I've seen some 2005 touring models that had the Bluetooth HFL system and some didn't. I've also seen some that had OnStar but those are few and far between. Only downside with our MDX is that it does run only premium fuel and we get between 16-24 MPG with it. Luckily I filled up yesterday at $1.94 a gallon so I really can't complain. Overall we're very happy with the car. I would expect that you could get an '05 now for a pretty decent price.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
you should find a good price for the 04-06 because they are basically similar except 05 and 06 get bluetooth, xm, onstar.

did u try another dealer on your trade?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
We have a 2006 MDX (which is the same as the '05 except for interior trim differences) and couldn't be happier with it. I love the navigation, fit and finish, overall size, overall quality, and we get tons of compliments on its looks. The cons of our 2006 model was grinding brakes (problem with most Hondas) and premature wear on the leather (replaced by the dealer under warranty). Other than that, I don't think you can go wrong with this vehicle.

That being said, at least here in SoCal, decent mileage 2005 MDXs w/nav go for $17 - 20K. In looking at autotrader.com, the lowest 2005 model was $13,000 and it was a private seller with 109,000 miles. Next up was $17,800 with 89,000 miles. Finding one for $14K may be easier in Newnan GA, just be careful with the condition/history of the vehicle for that price.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Just curious, how much did they offer for your trade?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 PM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

$4300 for a 2001 Acura TL w/ Navi. the dealer was "double booking" me... using NADA for his car and KBB for my car. I thought that was just crappy dealing, since KBB is always lower than Edmunds and NADA in my experience. I figured it was worth at least $7000, especially since they could turn around and sell it for over $9000. oh well. we're trying to sell it outright for $8000-8500. we've had several interested parties, only 1-2 of whom have called/emailed back after my reply.

we didn't try another dealer just because they'll all try to screw us on the trade-in. it's happened every time i've gotten a car. i figured it wasn't worth the hassle and headache.

found a really pretty black '05 w/ navi yesterday, 43k miles for $17900 and a sage brush navi w/ 55k miles for $16900. i doubt i'll find another one for $13900! we had my wife's cousin (a certified Honda/Acura tech) check that one out and other than an apparent cosmetic-only rear accident, everything he saw was fine with it and he said he wouldn't have any problems buying it. wish we had been able to pull the trigger on that one.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Trlblzr, the price on the black one is a pretty good deal especially with the navi. I assume that it is a touring model? If it is clean, I would pull the trigger on that one. Mine has 47,000 miles on it and I can't tell a difference from when it was new.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Originally Posted by frosty ride
Trlblzr, the price on the black one is a pretty good deal especially with the navi. I assume that it is a touring model? If it is clean, I would pull the trigger on that one. Mine has 47,000 miles on it and I can't tell a difference from when it was new.
yeah, it's the touring. it was in really good shape, very clean and pretty. i'd have to get my mechanic to check it over first. of course, there's the matter of getting rid of our TL first... hopefully it'll sell soon. can't do anything til that's taken care of!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by trlblzr
My wife and I are looking to get a 2005 model w/ navi in the $14000 range. We found one this last weekend, but the dealer was waaaaay undervaluing our trade-in ('01 TL/Nav/104k miles) so we had to pass. Why do dealers always have to screw up well thought out plans? Now we're just trying to sell outright before buying the MDX.
Wow. 14k? I'm looking to sell mine and I guess I'll get even less on a trade in (although mine only has 30k miles on it). How much less were they offering? You got to remember that the reduction in trade in affects your overall sales tax you have to pay so take that into consideration.

Anyways, does anyone have any commentary on pros/cons to the '05? I know the navi got a big upgrade, which is why I'm looking at the newer ones. I'm expecting miles to be around 65-75k for that price... is that reasonable? (I'd love to find an '06 for that price, but that's just crazy talk ) Do these have any sort of audio input for iPod connectivity? Anything else you think I should be aware of going forward? Is there a "sport package" for the '05? I see several used ones saying this, but I didn't think that was a real trim level for back then. I'm really only looking at ones w/ navi anyways.

Thanks in advance!
Only con I have is the somewhat floaty ride. Other than that, it's rock solid. No issues from day one. I don't think an 05 had a "sports package". No iPod connectivity. Navi is great. has OnStar link if you want. Has bluetooth handsfree phone link. Voice command (it's ok, not great).
The rearview camera is awesome.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
Wow. 14k? I'm looking to sell mine and I guess I'll get even less on a trade in (although mine only has 30k miles on it). How much less were they offering? You got to remember that the reduction in trade in affects your overall sales tax you have to pay so take that into consideration.

Only con I have is the somewhat floaty ride. Other than that, it's rock solid. No issues from day one. I don't think an 05 had a "sports package". No iPod connectivity. Navi is great. has OnStar link if you want. Has bluetooth handsfree phone link. Voice command (it's ok, not great).
The rearview camera is awesome.
they were offering $4300 for what I believe to be worth at least $7000 on NADA (which is how they were valuing their car). knocked the price out of our budget.

we got to take one home to check out with all those features and i did love it! can't wait til we get this all squared away.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
they were offering $4300 for what I believe to be worth at least $7000 on NADA (which is how they were valuing their car). knocked the price out of our budget.

we got to take one home to check out with all those features and i did love it! can't wait til we get this all squared away.
If I were you, I'd give up the TL for 4300 and forget about it. It's going to be pretty hard to find another 05 X with NAV for 14K. Plus you save on the taxes as it's been said here before. No dealer is going to give you NADA on a trade, especially when it's obvious they're not marking up their vehicle at all..
Just my

I would have jumped all over the deal. Now you will find one with same miles for 3K more and even if you get 7K for your car, comes out the same with more headaches and more wasted time.

And about 05 MDX's, awesome SUV's! Best bang for your buck by far.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Realistically speaking i think you can get ~$6000 for the TL, not sure if its worth the hassle.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Originally Posted by vas25tl
If I were you, I'd give up the TL for 4300 and forget about it. It's going to be pretty hard to find another 05 X with NAV for 14K. Plus you save on the taxes as it's been said here before. No dealer is going to give you NADA on a trade, especially when it's obvious they're not marking up their vehicle at all..
Just my

I would have jumped all over the deal. Now you will find one with same miles for 3K more and even if you get 7K for your car, comes out the same with more headaches and more wasted time.

And about 05 MDX's, awesome SUV's! Best bang for your buck by far.
alas, we owe just enough on the TL that the negative equity carrying over would have made the new payment go out of reach. it could be sold for over $9000 NADA, so it was rather insulting to get such a low offer. it's all a moot point now, because that MDX is gone by selling outright, we'll have enough cash to reduce the negative equity to $0. for $4300, we can't do that. we either have to get $7000+ for the trade-in, or sell.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
alas, we owe just enough on the TL that the negative equity carrying over would have made the new payment go out of reach. it could be sold for over $9000 NADA, so it was rather insulting to get such a low offer. it's all a moot point now, because that MDX is gone by selling outright, we'll have enough cash to reduce the negative equity to $0. for $4300, we can't do that. we either have to get $7000+ for the trade-in, or sell.
I definitely understand where you are coming from but you also have to look at it from the dealership's point of view. They were asking wholesale for that MDX. I've actually seen them going for more than that at the auction, the price was a steal. Now if they are giving the car away at wholesale it's only fair for them to ask wholesale for your car in return. In fact, they would actually be making a bad move on their part because in my experience it's much more difficult to get rid of a 01 TL with 100+K miles than a low mileage loaded MDX where it's easy to get financing. "FAIR" trade in value on the TL is 4300..I don't think they were out of line offering that considering how bad the market is currently.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just saying how it is. If they had $4K in a markup on the MDX, they would have given you your 6-7K...it's all a game.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Originally Posted by vas25tl
I definitely understand where you are coming from but you also have to look at it from the dealership's point of view. They were asking wholesale for that MDX. I've actually seen them going for more than that at the auction, the price was a steal. Now if they are giving the car away at wholesale it's only fair for them to ask wholesale for your car in return. In fact, they would actually be making a bad move on their part because in my experience it's much more difficult to get rid of a 01 TL with 100+K miles than a low mileage loaded MDX where it's easy to get financing. "FAIR" trade in value on the TL is 4300..I don't think they were out of line offering that considering how bad the market is currently.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just saying how it is. If they had $4K in a markup on the MDX, they would have given you your 6-7K...it's all a game.
it is at that... one that i'm not good at playing and therefore get frustrated to no end with the double-talk and such. we're just gonna let our credit union's car service handle that end of it if/when we sell the TL. better for my sanity
Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
You also have to ask yourself why the dealer was selling the MDX for only $14K. I think you're better off getting another MDX, I think getting an '05 for $14K is a little too good to be true...get the price you want for the TL and the right MDX will come along.

That being said, have you tried selling your TL privately? I sold my 2003 TL-S last October via Craigslist for $16,500 and that was high blue book. If fact, I've sold our last 5 cars privately and although there are flaky buyers at times, your patience pays off when it comes time to pay for the new car...having that extra couple grand makes a big difference
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 AM
'05 RL, '05 MDX

Originally Posted by Type34
You also have to ask yourself why the dealer was selling the MDX for only $14K. I think you're better off getting another MDX, I think getting an '05 for $14K is a little too good to be true...get the price you want for the TL and the right MDX will come along.

That being said, have you tried selling your TL privately? I sold my 2003 TL-S last October via Craigslist for $16,500 and that was high blue book. If fact, I've sold our last 5 cars privately and although there are flaky buyers at times, your patience pays off when it comes time to pay for the new car...having that extra couple grand makes a big difference
well, we know it had been wrecked in the back, but our mechanic said it was cosmetic only. he didn't see anything wrong with suspension, brakes, frame, etc. it also had 74k miles. i guess that combination made them sell it lower.

as for selling the TL privately, we've got it on Craigslist now. lots of flaky buyers. it's been 1 week and no serious inquiries yet. we'll persevere!