Purchasing 08-09 MDX - what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Purchasing 08-09 MDX - what to look out for?

I'm in the market to purchase a used 08-09 MDX w/Tech pkg.. maybe 2010 model if i can find the right deal. I'm looking for one with less than 50k miles.

What are some things that I should look out for and known issues in these model years? Also, my understanding is that all the features are the same in all MDXs expect for the tech pkg, entertainment pkg and sport pkg.

Do they all have power lift gates?

what the differences in pkgs? i know the tech pkg adds navi and the entertainment pkg adds the rear dvd player and sport pkg adds sport suspension and diff wheels but is there anything else im missing?

also how much does it cost to purchase the roof rack separately if the mdx didnt come with one along with the running boards?

thanks for the help - i really appreciate it!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
66 views and no reply...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just bought an 08.

I had the same issues.

08 - power rear door only with Rear Seat Entertainment. I think in 09 you could get it with tech or sport.

I opted against sport as I did not want to deal with active shocks failing and needing to be replaced.

Roof rails are cheap (mine came with them and towing), I was going to add. You can get them for a few hundred.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
09-power lift gate is standard with tech and up
08-it is standard only with RES pkg and optional with other pkgs

per wiki:

<<<<<For 2008 the MDX received a new auto-dimming rearview mirror.

The 2009 MDX had added more upgrades to the navigation system and there are two new colors added. The power tailgate, previously available only with the Entertainment package, is now included with Technology and Sport packages.

The 2010 MDX got a facelift, adopting Acura's new "Power Plenum" grille that debuted on its 2009 model year sedans. The most important upgrades to the 2010 model are a new 6-speed SportShift automatic transmission. An Advance package is now available that includes Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot monitor, Active Damper Suspension, circle-see assist, Tire Pressure Activation, Blind Spot Attention, 19 inch wheels and tires, Ventilated seats and paddle shifters. Non-navigation equipped MDX models now have a rear view camera monitor located in the rear view mirror.>>>>

as far as 08-09 vs a 10...depends on budget and depends on whether you like the new plenum grill look or the original 2G MDX grill. there are a few minor tech goodie changes from the 09 to the 10's as well.

roof rails from a vendor on here around $170, the cross bars....add another $160-170

the running boards....depends which ones you want. sport running boards run around $400. the parts are all OEM from vendors on this site (which are discounted). DIY the install and you can save on the install. if you pay the dealer....they'll charge you an arm and a leg.

as far as problems...i bought a CPO'd 09 MDX with tech two yrs ago. no major issues.
the issues i have had:
-sunroof that would not close from tilt (dealer fixed for now)
-driver's side and passenger side mirror actuators going bad (warranty fix-replaced mirror actuators) as a result also, fixed the intermittent steering wheel telescoping problem and the key fob talking to the car to adjust for driver's preset (mirrors, seat and steering wheel).
-driver's seat rocking (warranty fix-replaced the seat rails)
-TSB-ECU reflash for torque convertor (acura covered under warranty)

again these are what i consider minor annoyances. the mirror thing is a known issue across the line up. the other stuff i believe is more the random exception than the norm.

mechanically, the MDX is sound. typical honda...pretty solid. you really can't go wrong...it's a matter of preference and budget.