Previous low oil message

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Previous low oil message

Hello,

I just bought a used 2011 MDX Tech with 66K miles (this is a vehicle we will use for trips or as a car to have if one of ours is out of commission, as my wife and I each have daily drivers). The car seemed well taken care of. Thorough maintenance records via carfax. All oil changes and other maintenance done at the dealer.

Well, I was going through the previous messages on the NAV screen and I freaked out. (Hoping someone call talk me off the ledge). There was a message on there for low oil level. From March 8th of 2017. I noticed on March 9th (the very next day, from the Carfax) that the owner took it in to a dealer for "regular" maintenance. Fluids checked....blah blah blah and had an oil change. I freaked because my daily is a Subaru and if the Subaru low oil pressure light comes on (I understand the Subaru is oil pressure and the MDX message was oil level) your engine is toast. The previous owner regularly changed his oil between 4000-6000 miles. When this light came on, he was closer to 6000 (guessing he was going by the maintenance minder percentage).

Well anyways, I am a bit freaked out about this. I found some posts about a faulty oil level switch, but this seemed to affect older MDX's. I also saw some posts where people where just a little low and had this light come on (really hoping this is the case).

Any thoughts? Should I relax?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Honda/Acura Oil Pressure Sensors has always been (And it would not surprise me if they still are) Crap.. Change the oil pressure sensor and call it a day, Mine also did the same too on my MDX (And also in my TL-S) I swap them and no more random Oil Low Level warnings (TL-S would trigger a low oil pressure light).

There are 2 reasons the light will come up:
1.- Oil Low Level - If you check the oil level and this is correct then the Oil Pressure Sensor is going bad for sure.

2.- Engine Oil Pump - If you check the oil level and is correct then change the Oil Pressure Sensor and its still popping an Oil Level Warning? Say your prayers because your Engine oil pump is going south = $$$$ Fix Incoming.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Honda/Acura Oil Pressure Sensors has always been (And it would not surprise me if they still are) Crap.. Change the oil pressure sensor and call it a day, Mine also did the same too on my MDX (And also in my TL-S) I swap them and no more random Oil Low Level warnings (TL-S would trigger a low oil pressure light).

There are 2 reasons the light will come up:
1.- Oil Low Level - If you check the oil level and this is correct then the Oil Pressure Sensor is going bad for sure.

2.- Engine Oil Pump - If you check the oil level and is correct then change the Oil Pressure Sensor and its still popping an Oil Level Warning? Say your prayers because your Engine oil pump is going south = $$$$ Fix Incoming.
Thanks for the response. Well, as far as I can tell this message was only triggered once about 6000 miles ago. The previous owner had an extended bumper to bumper Acura warranty and he took it to the dealer the very next day. The Carfax only shows normal maintenance on that trip, so hopefully it was nothing. I am a bit freaked because I specifically bought this vehicle because I started worrying about the car it replaced. Mazda CX-9. That car was climbing near 140K miles and they tend to start costing $$$ to repair with some common issues.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
There is a TSB on this: #09-012. I checked and it applies to a 2011 MDX.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 PM

dinot
My experience with Acuras and Hondas tell me you need to replace the Oil Pressure Sensor in case you get those warnings, Seeing that is an old Message I would not bother unless it pops up again.. Its very common on Acuras and Hondas for that sensor to die.. Luckily it isn´t expensive and its very easy to replace... Like I said I would not bother if you don´t have any issues with it.

RenoTL
Check the top part that says: "Applies To: 2007-09 MDX"
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Instructor

RenoTL
Skirmich,

THANKS for putting my mind at ease!!! The TSB sounds like a non-issue.

I came across as a bit overly panicked but the entire reason I bought the MDX was that I wanted something reliable. The CX-9 and its Ford powertrain that I came from made me overly worried and when I saw that note in the messages I freaked out. The CX-9 unfortunately was a great vehicle. It just wasn't super reliable and at the mileage I was out, transfer cases start to go as do water pumps. That engine design necessitates dropping the engine to replace the water pump.

I lost the engine on my Subaru last year when the dreaded oil pressure light came on. $11K total to get me back on the road so I am still hurting from that disaster. It went that high because I went with forged internals on my engine rebuild and added some more odds and ends. So when I saw this oil level message I was transported back to that nightmare. The thing that really sucked about my Subaru engine failure....it had nothing to do with the power increase I was running....they had oil pickups that tended to break a weld at around 200K miles.

Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Instructor

dinot
My experience with Acuras and Hondas tell me you need to replace the Oil Pressure Sensor in case you get those warnings, Seeing that is an old Message I would not bother unless it pops up again.. Its very common on Acuras and Hondas for that sensor to die.. Luckily it isn´t expensive and its very easy to replace... Like I said I would not bother if you don´t have any issues with it.

RenoTL
Check the top part that says: "Applies To: 2007-09 MDX"

Thanks again. One more question....IF, it happens that I need to replace this switch. Do I need to go to the dealer? Or can I take it to a local repair shop?

Thanks,
Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 PM

Yeah the MDXs are pretty reliable cars (Not for nothing is Acura´s best selling car) so I would not worry about it..

Being said that your specific mileage and age puts you around the time frame for a Timing Belt job pretty soon, Around next year..
That is literally the most expensive maintenance item in the whole car ever (For most the main reason to trade-in or sale the car before it comes up).

Look at your owners manual and its the 105K OR 7 year service, It includes: Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt pulley, timing belt idler, water pump, anti-freeze replacement and front main seal...
In OEM parts you are looking at around 300-500 bucks bill and that does not include the LABOR which is around 5 hours for most shops = +1000 bucks service if done with OEM Parts and Self respected shop/dealership. This is the deal breaker for most people and I sincerely Hope you knew this before hand or it can severely sour down your experience.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by dinot
Thanks again. One more question....IF, it happens that I need to replace this switch. Do I need to go to the dealer? Or can I take it to a local repair shop?

Thanks,

You can replace this sensor yourself, It is pretty easy and you save the money on the Labor which will cost more than the part itself (1 hour minimum)...
As for the part you can buy the OEM as its quite inexpensive (around 45 bucks).
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Yeah the MDXs are pretty reliable cars (Not for nothing is Acura´s best selling car) so I would not worry about it..

Being said that your specific mileage and age puts you around the time frame for a Timing Belt job pretty soon, Around next year..
That is literally the most expensive maintenance item in the whole car ever (For most the main reason to trade-in or sale the car before it comes up).

Look at your owners manual and its the 105K OR 7 year service, It includes: Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt pulley, timing belt idler, water pump, anti-freeze replacement and front main seal...
In OEM parts you are looking at around 300-500 bucks bill and that does not include the LABOR which is around 5 hours for most shops = +1000 bucks service if done with OEM Parts and Self respected shop/dealership. This is the deal breaker for most people and I sincerely Hope you knew this before hand or it can severely sour down your experience.

Thanks for that info. Not a deal breaker, but I had assumed it had a timing chain like my wife's RDX. Oh well. Again, not a deal breaker. The previous owner seemed to take care of it quite well. The only thing I didn't see on the Carfax was the transfer case fluid change. I will need to consult the manual for that.

Thanks,
Old 09-08-2017, 09:37 PM

As for the SH-AWD diff and Transfer fluids both are done every 2 years or 30K the same as your Wife´s RDX.
I use Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 (
Amazon Amazon
) in my MDX with good results, it only needs 1 quart and its Synthetic Oil...
I would skip OEM Oil for the Transfer case ala "Honda HGO-1" as its a very simple off the shelf dino oil.. Mobil 1 LS Gear Oil can help with MPGs and its superior in every single way to the OEM Stuff.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Instructor

As for the SH-AWD diff and Transfer fluids both are done every 2 years or 30K the same as your Wife´s RDX.
I use Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 (https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-104361-.../dp/B000ONZXPK) in my MDX with good results, it only needs 1 quart and its Synthetic Oil...
I would skip OEM Oil for the Transfer case ala "Honda HGO-1" as its a very simple off the shelf dino oil.. Mobil 1 LS Gear Oil can help with MPGs and its superior in every single way to the OEM Stuff.
Thanks again. One last question....

That gear oil that you linked to. Is that for both the transfer case and rear diff? If so, how much should I buy for both? My local repair shop lets me supply my own parts, so I'll just grab some and ask them to use it for the transfer case and rear diff.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 PM

SH-AWD rear diffs only uses "AWD DPSF" Oil (OEM STUFF ONLY) part number is: 08200-9007A be vary careful that you are not given anything else as part number: 08200-9007 is often miss-used in SH-AWD diffs by Honda dealerships (08200-9007 and 08200-9007A are not the same oils).
Your SH-AWD diff ONLY USES 08200-9007A
So both your MDX and your Wife´s RDX uses this oil for the rear diff.
The bottle looks like this:

You will need 3 quarts of AWD DPSF to fill the SH-AWD Diff.. The Diff its filled by an Overflow system (Like manual transmissions) so you only need to fill until it starts dripping from the fill port, it should fill with around 2.7q give or take depending on the angle of the car.. So 3 quarts is more than enough.

For the transfer case the fill amount is also given by an Overflow system, it should take around 0.7q (Less than a quart of gear oil) so you only need to buy 1 quart..
OEM Stuff is Honda "HGO-1 75W-85" part number: 08200-9014 or 08200-9014A (SAME OIL)
But since the Transfer Case is a simple Universal Hypoid system (Not like the SH-AWD Rear Diff) you can use what-ever Transfer Case Oil you want that is close to the OEM Weight. Mobil 1 LS is not exactly the same weight as OEM but its range covers more temperature (85 vs 90), Since Mobil 1 LS is also Synthetic Oil the difference in temperature protection is even higher.. Mobil 1 LS is a better Gear Oil than HGO-1 so you can use it instead of the OEM Stuff.

To resume:
Since SH-AWD Diff its UNIQUE you cant use any aftermarket oil for it.. Use only "AWD DPSF".
The Transfer Case is universal so you can use any aftermarket oil for it. Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 can be used on your MDX and your Wife´s RDX.

Last edited by Skirmich; 09-08-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Skirmich;
To resume:
Since SH-AWD Diff its UNIQUE you cant use any aftermarket oil for it.. Use only "AWD DPSF".
The Transfer Case is universal so you can use any aftermarket oil for it. Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 can be used on your MDX and your Wife´s RDX.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for all of this tremendous amount of advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 PM

No problem! If you got any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue with the warning going off halfway through the maintenance cycle. I too thought it was a faulty sensor. However the 3.7L's are known to have oil consumption issues. Always be sure to check the oil level when the warning goes off.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 PM

You should check the oil level every month, Do not leave it un-check for long periods of time regardless of engine..
Owners Manual go to the lengths of telling you to check oil levels at EACH FILL UP, So once in a month is more reasonable.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have 2007 MDX and got low oil message yesterday. Check the oil level and it is within the hatched marks. Will replace oil pressure switch and hope my oil pump is not going out.

Info below from TSP 09-012

2007-2008 MDX
Part # 37240-RDM-A01

Later 2008-2009
Part # 372240-R72-A01 & o-ring # 91319-R70-A01
Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ghernz
Have 2007 MDX and got low oil message yesterday. Check the oil level and it is within the hatched marks. Will replace oil pressure switch and hope my oil pump is not going out.

2007-2008 MDX
Part # 37240-RDM-A01

Later 2008-2009

Look at step #3 under the "repair procedure" in the following link.
The thread pitch is different on the different oil level sensors, so make sure you get the right one.

Oil Level switch # and install
Old 09-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Yes I have 2007 and double checked for R72 and do not have it.

On a side note do I need to take to dealer to get software updated after changing switch?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Yes I have 2007 and double checked for R72 and do not have it.

On a side note do I need to take to dealer to get software updated after changing switch?

Thanks!
I did not need any computer updates.
Mine is a 07 mdx sport.

I put the passenger side front on a jack stand, pulled off the tire, removed the connector, and was able to fit a 24mm (if I remember correctly) wrench easily. Verify the wrench size on the new sensor.

I could only turn it 1/8 of a turn, at a time, before repositioning the wrench. I did this 8 times, before I could spin it, by hand.

It took 10 minutes.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

2007-2008 MDX
Part # 37240-RDM-A01

Later 2008-2009
I had this same issue on my 2010 TL. I had the oil pressure sensor replaced about a year ago and have not had the "low oil" message since.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced

I tried to do this yesterday afternoon. When I got down there I thought I had the wrong switch. I thought I needed the switch with green connector. I was ready to send the switch I received back.

This morning I decided to do a google and youtube search to make sure I was looking at the right one. I didn't find anything. Somewhere I read that the switch was behind. I went back and read the TSB and it tells you to disconnect the rocker oil switch (green connector). I got under it again this morning and noticed the switch is black and is behind the green switch. I had the correct switch and was able to replace it. I took a few pics to help someone else looking for it. Third pic shows black connector.

Here are a few tips. 15/16 deep socket or 24 mm deep socket is required. You need to disconnect both green and black switches. They are on the same harness. Put the deep socket in first then connect the ratchet to the socket. Once loose remove the ratchet from the socket and remove the switch by hand with socket. Also be ready for some oil to come out. I removed the switch and walked away. When I got back there was a bunch of oil on the drive way. Put some thread sealer on the new switch and reinstall.