Pioneer AVH-X4500BT installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pioneer AVH-X4500BT installed

Hey all, just posting up my latest project. I installed a 7" double din radio with a back up camera, overall the install took long mainly due to the camera (wasn't easy to install) and I also had some trouble integrating Bose. However its all done now and sounds great! All in all, its a great radio, looks and sounds amazing. I actually noticed an improvement in sound quality, especially the tweeters.. I can actually hear them now!

Parts ordered/installed:
Pioneer AVH-X4500BT
Metra 95-7866B Dash kit
Axxess Metra ASWC-1 (to retain steering wheel media controls)
Cheap CMOS 170 degree backup camera
Scosche SLC-4 (for integrating bose)
Metra 40-HD10 Antenna Adapter
Scosche HA08B harness
$20 video bypass unit

The install overall wasn't too hard, I'd say the hardest part was routing cables through the panels for the camera. Couple of things to note however, Bose amp requires a low level input signal from the radio which is why I had to buy the SLC-4. It basically steps down the signal like a line out converter and wires in between the speaker output from the new radio and the wire harness that attaches to the factory connector. You may think its not really required but I tried hooking it up without the SLC-4 and all I got was alternator whine and just a dirty sound from the speakers.

Our MDX's have an amplified antenna so it needs a 12 volt signal so what I did was, I hooked up a relay that is triggered by the remote wire of my new radio and gets power from the switched 12V wire. I have the antenna wire, steering wheel adapter, video bypass as well as the bose amp remote hooked up to the relay. The reason is simply because the pioneer wouldn't be been able to power them all, its remote wire can only output about 300ma.

The new radio also needs a reverse signal wire so that it can switch to camera input automatically when you throw it in reverse. I found the reverse wire on drivers side fuse box on the 10 pin connector, pin #6, green/black wire. I basically split this wire into two, where one goes to the radio and the other goes to the back to power the camera.

I'm not really good at doing proper write-ups so I'll just post up some install pics and if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice install! I have a Maxima that I installed the dbl. DIN AVH-P3300BT in. Pretty much agree with everything you wrote, and my car is also factory equipped with Bose so I had to wire in the Scosche unit. The camera was a bit difficult to figure out mounting, and in my case I ran the video cable under the car in a flex WP sheath. The Bluetooth picks up everytime, the mic is mounted on my turn signal stock so is easy to talk and people actually understand me. The head unit plays USB drives, SD card, IPod/Walkman inputs, and CD's/DVD's as well; of course for DVD's, you're supposed to wire it to your emergency brake signal for it to work only while you're parked, but I got the $15 hack bypass on ebay so movies can be played while driving. I tried it and it works, but I never play DVD's in my car anyway.... I just did it because I could. Your camera is an improvement over mine with those guidance lines which I don't have.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why did you run the wire under the car? Couldn't open up the panels inside? And that's an interesting location for mounting the mic. I was going to mount it on top of the rearview mirror but it was too much work and I didn't want to mess with the side curtain airbags on the A pillar. I think I'm fine with where I've mounted mine, people can hear me okay so I guess it gets the job done.

And yep, my unit does everything you mentioned with the addition of advanced app mode where it lets me control certain apps on my iphone through the screen which is cool. As for the guidelines, when I bought the camera I had no idea it had the feature, so it was a nice surprise and the guidelines honestly help a lot. All in all, I'm happy.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by arpz
Why did you run the wire under the car? Couldn't open up the panels inside? And that's an interesting location for mounting the mic.
It was a whole lot easier to run the wire in the center console, then down thru the floorpan at the shifter opening. Once underneath, there were plenty of supports to tie it off from up on the underside, and I just made sure I had clearance from the exhaust pipe and heat shield. Then it was easy to get to the rear license plate area. I ran the MIC wire behind the dash and then followed the steering column up to the signal stock. You can't even see the wire and the MIC mount fits the stock perfectly.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:48 PM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@arpz, congrats on that install, looks very clean. I was wondering if you were able to hook up your phone button to the Bluetooth on the new head unit, so that you can answer the phone by pushing the steering wheel button. I also used the ASWC-1 in my car with a Pioneer AVIC 7000NEX HU but the installer didn't know which wire was for the Bluetooth. Any suggestions? Thanks.