Paint Protection film

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paint Protection film

Hi all,

I am planning to get XPEL Ultimate Pain Protection film installed on my newly acquired MDX 2012 Tech with Polished Metal exteriors.
What i like about XPEL Ultimate is the self healing technique.

Do you guys prefer Full hood or partial i.e. 18" coverage?
The full hood is virually double the cost of the partial going for over 800 dollars, and partial hood that comes along with fender, grille kit and mirrors is for around 320 dollars.
Is the full hood worth it? i believe its all about aesthetics, as you wont see the thin line in the full hood coverage.. How bad does it look with the partial?

I also plan to have it installed on the bumper, and the four doors. The dealer has quoted me 150 per door that makes it 600 dollars for all the four full coverage of the doors.
I dont prefer the body side molding on the doors, instead thought about applying the paint protection film on all the four doors for full coverage.
Anyone has done this before??
Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't done it, but have considered it. I was more in favor of putting something like that on the bumpers and front of the hood where it is more exposed, but not the rest of the vehicle.

For the price you're getting quoted, would it be best to save that cash and have any damages fixed in the future?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Congrats on your new MDX! The full hood is not worth all that extra $$ imo. Some installers are able to do a "bikini cut" which has a bit of a curve instead of a line going straight across your hood. This makes it a bit less noticeable. Also putting film on the doors will not prevent dents, only scratches or paint chipping. I would save the money from that and pocket it or put it towards the full hood and/or the loading area of the rear bumper. Parking away from everyone is the best way to prevent dents & damage.