new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
new tires

well its time to change out the tires on the mdx. i personally wont buy michelins so lets not suggest that brand. the wife drives the truck most of the time so its not driven in a spirited manner. im in houston so it never snows here. it does on the other hand rains like every week, so her biggest concern is wet weather handling. do you guys have any suggestions in regards to some great tires in the stock size. dont really want a tire that looks like it belongs on a jeep. from reviews the goodyear frontera tt and assurance tt seems to work great. here are the makes and models i am considering along with the requirements i need from a tire. chime in if you have any exp. with any of the tires listed below or if you have used a tire outside of what i have listed here let me know. im open to different tires.

yokohama avid h4s
goodyear frontera tt
goodyear assurance tt
goodyear assurance comfort
general altimax
firestone destination a/t
firestone destination le
yokohama geolander h/t-s g052
yokohama geolander a/t-s
bridgestone dueller H/L alenza
continental cross contact lx
dunlop signature cs

wet weather handling
dry weather handling
wear rating
high mileage warranty
not too aggressive of a design
price- under 200 a tire
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
I have these: http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at

And love them. Awesome snow/rain traction and very nice dry weather tire as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

i see that your from CT. im sure its hella cold up there right now. do those tires being good for snow make them wear faster in a state that sees triple digit tempatures on a regular basis? im not a tire expert but im going to guess they are a softer compound. they are nice looking. and the puppy is cute.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GoodYear make a few excellent tires for rain and dry use. I never get less than 75K on my GoodYear's on my work truck and they stay inflated.

On my '04 I changed them at only 47k cause they had a bunch of small thread cracks this year 6yrs later and I was not sure if it mattered.

They are not cheap though...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I've heard really good things about Trippletreads

We need new tires on the X before next Winter.

A friend of mine has the Generals and he's very happy with them on his Camry. This guy is very difficult to make happy so this tells me the tires are very good...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
The Box

BTW, my last set of Goodyears on my TL lasted 80K miles.....
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vas25tl
BTW, my last set of Goodyears on my TL lasted 80K miles.....
Wow! That's nearly 8 years of driving for me. I think the sell-by date on the side of the tires would be way expired in my case (I'm in a car-pool so I can keep my annual mileage low)
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The Box

Originally Posted by larso1
Wow! That's nearly 8 years of driving for me. I think the sell-by date on the side of the tires would be way expired in my case (I'm in a car-pool so I can keep my annual mileage low)
They were extremely dry-rotted and would shake at pretty much any speed but still had tread on them.

I was pretty impressed. I replaced them with some Yokohama Avid TRZ's which have been good so far - have about 10K on those now.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

looked on michelins site and checked out thier warranty. covers the tires even though i dont have the reciept. truck came with the cross terrains. the tires i discovered where kinda dry rotted with the manf. date of 22/06. so i took it to discount and they said they would cover them. gave me $96 dollar credit for each tire. i ended up choosing the gy fortera tt. out the door pricing of 556 which includes the warranties. i saw a thread on here with the fortera's. really sharp looking tire plus they are rated one of the best. the mgr at discount said he would give me the credit even on goodyears. it only supposed to go to the purchase of another set of michelins. i personally really dislike michelins. too expensive and dont last very long.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by philly fresh
looked on michelins site and checked out thier warranty. covers the tires even though i dont have the reciept. truck came with the cross terrains. the tires i discovered where kinda dry rotted with the manf. date of 22/06. so i took it to discount and they said they would cover them. gave me $96 dollar credit for each tire. i ended up choosing the gy fortera tt. out the door pricing of 556 which includes the warranties. i saw a thread on here with the fortera's. really sharp looking tire plus they are rated one of the best. the mgr at discount said he would give me the credit even on goodyears. it only supposed to go to the purchase of another set of michelins. i personally really dislike michelins. too expensive and dont last very long.
Yah, in looking for new tires like I am presently doing, I find it's hard to identify one that has very good characteristics in all of the following: Wear, noise, comfort, handling, rain, and snow. We don't get enough snow and rain here to bother with that and we don't exactly drive it like a sports car, but I do want long wear, low noise and good comfort as my top three requirements. The rest would be the frosting on the cake.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

i do drive it spiritedly but the main concern is how they handle in the rain. since it rains here like every week that was on the top of my list. price not really just as long i wasnt over paying for a brand. i am a GY follower. they ahve always been great tires to me with great wear. michelins not so much. i went through several on different cars. i thinks its because they are too soft so they wear faster and ask hell of alot more than a comparable tire. the forteras i got lucky in that they guy gave me the michelin credit for some goodyears. they are 6yr/60k mile tires. alot of thoguht went into these tires. they will eventually carry my child and they currrently carry my wife. for the most part she picks what she think she wants on her car in terms of safety and we discuss. if its valid i buy it. the truck is actually mine. she feels safer in it so she drives it. i have her civic which is alot more fun.

And larso if you email me ill send you the spread sheet for the tires i picked out with pricing and ratings for each aspect of the tire. its helps alot see them all lined up against each other. minituck04@yahoo.com. income tax check comes in soon and ill give my report on the tires here in the next few days.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looking for tires for 2003 MDX. Have used the Michilin and don't seem to get more than 30,000 miles out of a set (not cheap). looking for something better
Old 02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

http://www.michelinman.com/warranty/

follow the link. your tires may still be covered under warranty. i got 96 bucks per tire. and the discount guy applied it to the GY im getting. im going with the gy fortera tt. i think they look great on our trucks.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=2
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodyear Fortera TripleTreads are great. Alot of people like them in the cold weather states. I got the bridgestone dueler HL alenza. Great handling.